Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T84

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T84 Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T84 - 10/24/2011 1:53:23 AM   
larryfulkerson

I took a look at all the units that had a 122mm Howitzer attached to it and it turns out there's some 5,000+ of them. And about 1/3 of
them are still on refit. 2/3 of them, in other words, have their full complement of arty tubes and 1/3 don't. That's where all the 122mm
arty tubes are going. And that's why there aren't many in the pool now.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 601
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T84 - 10/24/2011 1:59:41 AM   
larryfulkerson

I thought I'd go ahead and move the 20 points of vehicle factory still in Stalingrad. And next turn I'll get the heavy industroy out of there.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 602
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T84 - 10/24/2011 6:28:18 AM   
Flapdrol

Why are you moving this industry?
It will take a while before they start producing vehicles again, and the worst thing KLilly can do is extend his front towards Stalingrad...

Post #: 603
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T84 - 10/24/2011 6:58:03 AM   
randallw

You have a stray AT brigade ( Stavka command ) in the area of NW Front; those units aren't packed with equipment.  You might want to disband it.

(in reply to Flapdrol)
Post #: 604
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T84 - 10/24/2011 7:20:21 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: randallw
You have a stray AT brigade ( Stavka command ) in the area of NW Front; those units aren't packed with equipment.  You might want to disband it.

Actually that's a PVO AAA brigade that I thought might be moved around at the beginning of the turn to intice enemy air units to try to
interdict it thus suffering losses at the hand of an AAA unit. But it hasn't worked out that way. Moving the AAA unit has yet to cause it
to be interdicted. A lot of other stuff is interdicted but not this AAA unit so far. I know that because I want to keep track of the results of
the interdiction to see if it's profitable to do this. So far it's not been worth it. And yes, I do plan on disbanding that dude.

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 605
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T84 - 10/24/2011 7:22:25 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flapdrol
Why are you moving this industry?
It will take a while before they start producing vehicles again, and the worst thing KLilly can do is extend his front towards Stalingrad...

They suffered 50% damage during the move so I'm guessing they will be up and running again real soon now. I thought they didn't
produce unless they had less than 50% damage......I could be wrong about that. At any rate it's something else not to have to worry
about. And I had the unused rail cap left over enough to do it. I weighed the alternatives and decided to move it. I may not should have
but it's done now.

(in reply to Flapdrol)
Post #: 606
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T85 - 10/24/2011 7:26:40 AM   
larryfulkerson

T85: Here's what happened in the Crimea in the Axis turn:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 607
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T85 - 10/24/2011 7:31:25 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the T85 front lines before any recon or movement:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 608
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T85 - 10/24/2011 7:35:10 AM   
larryfulkerson

All the Axis attacks were in the deep south and there were three "retreated" results and three "held" results. That means I might be able
to hold my own in this area in the near future maybe.

EDIT: How wrong I was. In T88 all my troops were wiped out to a man.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 10/25/2011 10:42:25 PM >

Post #: 609
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T85 - 10/24/2011 8:08:21 AM   
larryfulkerson

I moved my stuff to shuffle the good-supply guys to the front and low supply guys to the rear and did some attacks and not all that
much changed. Although I did create a much needed Rifle Corps for the lower right flank ( near one entrance to the Crimea ). And
maybe that will stop the pushing south. We'll see.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 610
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T85 - 10/24/2011 8:56:03 AM   
larryfulkerson

I didn't know you could merge a rifle division but there's a MERGE tag on the unit description so evidently you can.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 611
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T86 - 10/25/2011 3:29:44 AM   
larryfulkerson

T86: Disaster. I open the turn and found this in the south:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 612
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T86 - 10/25/2011 4:31:27 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's my moves with an overlay showing my attacks:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 613
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T86 - 10/25/2011 4:36:35 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the OOB, losses, destroyed units, and production:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 614
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T87 - 10/25/2011 5:39:07 AM   
larryfulkerson

T87: I opened the turn to find this in the south. I'm afraid all those guys are write-offs.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 615
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T88 - 10/25/2011 10:46:00 PM   
larryfulkerson

T88: I opened the turn to find this:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 616
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T88 - 10/25/2011 11:07:20 PM   
larryfulkerson

I feel so disrupted I don't feel much like attacking anywhere or anything. But the game must go on so I do some good ratio delib. attacks
and get some Axis units to back up one hex. But nothing much moves anywhere this turn. Here's the OOB, losses, destroyed units,
and production for the turn.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 617
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T88 - 10/26/2011 8:41:34 AM   
randallw

You have that problem of mixed commands again, in the Crimea.

I'm guessing you are short on APs?

Post #: 618
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T88 - 10/26/2011 4:10:23 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: randallw
You have that problem of mixed commands again, in the Crimea.
I'm guessing you are short on APs?

Yes, I'm perpetually short of AP's. But then again I need to do something about the mixed commands. Thanks for noticing.

(in reply to randallw)
Post #: 619
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T91 - 10/27/2011 9:23:04 AM   
larryfulkerson

T91: This is the front lines before any recon or movement:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 620
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T88 - 10/27/2011 1:57:25 PM   
horza66

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

I feel so disrupted I don't feel much like attacking anywhere or anything. But the game must go on so I do some good ratio delib. attacks
and get some Axis units to back up one hex. But nothing much moves anywhere this turn. Here's the OOB, losses, destroyed units,
and production for the turn.

Larry,

I've read your AARs with interest before, but this is the first time I've been moved to comment. This kind of experience for Soviet players in '42 is very common, and I've been through the disasters and resultant morale failures myself. I feel your pain.
You get all sorts of toys (corps) to play with, and after the horrendous events of '41 you feel payback of the blizzard turns should continue. Unfortunately this is entirely the wrong attitude. The German army still has one more good summer in it, and you have to prepare accordingly. You've obviously learnt well from your previous experiences in '41 - this is just the next lesson.
Hindsight, or Too Late Now Department: You should spend the last two turns of the blizzard tidying up your line, pulling out Reserve armies (at least three full strength) and all your Shock armies. Keep one Reserve army in each zone (north, centre, south) and the Shock armies in the centre. They are your strategic reserve. Guards divisions should withdraw into local reserves.
Corps: Tank and Rifle Corps should be Guards wherever possible, so use 2 Gds div/bde and 1 regular to form as many as you can. Concentrate Rifle Corps in your Shock Armies, and Tank Corps in Front reserves until Tank Armies are available.
Summer '42: Wait for the German breakthrough and swamp it with Reserve armies. Look for an opportunity to hit the spearhead or safe flank with your shock armies. Perform local counter-attacks elsewhere in the line, but do not step out of your fort double/triple line. At this point the Germans will be looking for opportunities for the back-hand blow - do not give them to him. Attrit, but do not conduct offensive operations.
Autumn mud '42: Start planning your offensive arm. The important thing is not to learn from the Germans - they use Finesse, you must use Mass. Rather than committing Armies to an offensive you must commit Fronts. I use 2 Shock + 1 Tank Army in a Front command, and usually have two of these. These are my breakthrough units (yes, a front is a unit in Soviet scales) - I keep independent Tank Armies for exploitation above this. Later you can add artillery divisions to taste.
Winter '42: Look for a target. It doesn't have to be a Stalingrad - not many humans will give you the opportunity. You don't even need to form a pocket (though it's nice). Where did he put his allies? They have to go somewhere, and they're always the weakest units on the line. Hit them with the steamroller, force him to commit his reserves. Expect your Tank Corps to get bounced around, but hit back with your Rifle Corps - bleed him. Plan to withdraw and refit all offensive units in the mud.
Summer '43: Watch for a German offensive, and swamp it with Reserves. When he runs out of steam, grab the initiative and keep it for the rest of the war.

Executive summary: Bide your time. Build the right tools and you will be able to dismantle him. Do not lose heart.

Post #: 621
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T88 - 10/27/2011 4:58:27 PM   
bigbaba

@larry,

regardles of what you did wrong or right i have the greatest respect for you.

you still play in situations in which most of the other players (me included) would surrender.

great fighting spirit.:)

(in reply to horza66)
Post #: 622
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T88 - 10/27/2011 9:10:22 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: horza66
Larry,
I've read your AARs with interest before, but this is the first time I've been moved to comment. This kind of experience for Soviet players in '42 is very common, and I've been through the disasters and resultant morale failures myself. I feel your pain.

Thanks for your kind words. I guess I was just having an off day or something. This game will go on. I've been through worse situations than this. All is not lost. Thanks for posting by the way.

quote:

You get all sorts of toys (corps) to play with, and after the horrendous events of '41 you feel payback of the blizzard turns should continue. Unfortunately this is entirely the wrong attitude. The German army still has one more good summer in it, and you have to prepare accordingly. You've obviously learnt well from your previous experiences in '41 - this is just the next lesson.

Yeah, I'm thinking the Axis army is still dangerous myself. I thought about maybe extending the winter '42 - '43 offensive but I've been looking at the CV's of the Axis units and I'm wondering why he isn't attacking me on his own. Lots of his units have the moxie to do some damage and I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop.

quote:

Hindsight, or Too Late Now Department: You should spend the last two turns of the blizzard tidying up your line, pulling out Reserve armies (at least three full strength) and all your Shock armies. Keep one Reserve army in each zone (north, centre, south) and the Shock armies in the centre. They are your strategic reserve. Guards divisions should withdraw into local reserves.

I agree......it's time to start thinking defensively and maybe build some forts to excellerate the strength of the hexes held. Also, I like your idea of having reserve armies to put out brush fires. I'm wondering if KLilly is going to concentrate his tanks still and hit some weak spot of miine. I hate it when he does that.

quote:

Corps: Tank and Rifle Corps should be Guards wherever possible, so use 2 Gds div/bde and 1 regular to form as many as you can. Concentrate Rifle Corps in your Shock Armies, and Tank Corps in Front reserves until Tank Armies are available.

I've been building rifle Corps like mad but I'm perpetually short of AP's so there aren't as many as are needed yet. I've put the defenders against the Finns on static mode since they don't usually do anything at all up there. That gave some much needed AP's so I'll be able to build more Corps units.

quote:

Summer '42: Wait for the German breakthrough and swamp it with Reserve armies. Look for an opportunity to hit the spearhead or safe flank with your shock armies. Perform local counter-attacks elsewhere in the line, but do not step out of your fort double/triple line. At this point the Germans will be looking for opportunities for the back-hand blow - do not give them to him. Attrit, but do not conduct offensive operations.

I like the idea of attacking the Axis line and then pulling back into the safety of the forts before the turn is over. I have no idea where the next Axis attack will come from but I suspect he's going to use his tanks in a major way again. He still have them gathered in the south so I'm guessing that's where they will operate. Although he CAN rail them to somewhere else entirely. Moscow isn't out of the question.

quote:

Autumn mud '42: Start planning your offensive arm. The important thing is not to learn from the Germans - they use Finesse, you must use Mass. Rather than committing Armies to an offensive you must commit Fronts. I use 2 Shock + 1 Tank Army in a Front command, and usually have two of these. These are my breakthrough units (yes, a front is a unit in Soviet scales) - I keep independent Tank Armies for exploitation above this. Later you can add artillery divisions to taste.

Farfarer and I have switched sides so I'm now the active player in that game and I must say I really am shocked at the small size of the Axis Armies. Just a handful of divisions. I'm used to about two dozen divisions in the Soviet Army. It's really a different combat climate.
I like your use of the word finesse as applied to the Axis. That does seem to describe them. I've had trouble getting the separate arty units to receive all their tubes. I remember building one arty division and even five turns later it was still at 48% of it's TOE for 122mm tubes. I don't think it's armaments points holding it back from 100% TOE but I can't imagine what else it could be.

quote:

Winter '42: Look for a target. It doesn't have to be a Stalingrad - not many humans will give you the opportunity. You don't even need to form a pocket (though it's nice). Where did he put his allies? They have to go somewhere, and they're always the weakest units on the line. Hit them with the steamroller, force him to commit his reserves. Expect your Tank Corps to get bounced around, but hit back with your Rifle Corps - bleed him. Plan to withdraw and refit all offensive units in the mud.

Yeah, I have big plans for the Axis Allies. I like to eliminate them because they don't reconstitute. That makes the Axis even shorter on units for the front line. There doesn't seem to be enough Axis units to form a front line AND a second defensive line behind the first one. It's tough finding enough units to be able to rotate them out of the front line to refit from time to time. Maybe I can take advantage of that somehow. The Russian units have enough and to spare most of the time. After KLilly's having pocketed so many Soviet units there's places in the front line where we're down to just one thin line of defenders but I intend to remedy that soon.

quote:

Summer '43: Watch for a German offensive, and swamp it with Reserves. When he runs out of steam, grab the initiative and keep it for the rest of the war.

I dred the '43 summer season because the Axis is still dangerous. He will attack somewhere I'm pretty sure, he's got the strength for it. And God knows he has the units with high enough CV's to do it. Part of the problem is the Crimea doesn't have the active rail lines for supply to expand very far for the Soviets. I'm looking forward to the time when the initiative is with the Soviets.

quote:

Executive summary: Bide your time. Build the right tools and you will be able to dismantle him. Do not lose heart.

Thank you for all your excellent advice and keep those good ideas coming. You can post stuff that will help KLilly too if you'd like. I like to be fair to my opponents. KLilly is one of the better opponents and posts stuff here from time to time.

(in reply to horza66)
Post #: 623
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T88 - 10/27/2011 9:17:21 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: bigbaba
@larry,
regardles of what you did wrong or right i have the greatest respect for you.
you still play in situations in which most of the other players (me included) would surrender.
great fighting spirit.:)

Thanks for your post dude. Encouragement from people like you keep this game going. Actually this is one of the better games I've had with KLilly and he and I go way back. We're veterans, KLilly and I, of the TOAW FITE scenario. So this game is starting to feel like a continuation of that contest. I'm considering doing an AAR contrasting TOAW and WITE to depict the simularities and differences in play of both of them. A future project.

But games like mine with KLilly just HAVE to go on. If only to see what happens in the summer '43 time period. Maybe WITE has some bugs that only show up with the passage of time. I've patched up to 1.05.032 and everything and I'm appreciative of the changes and efforts to make the game better. AAR's are a gold mine for the development team to find things that can be changed.

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 624
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T92 - 10/28/2011 6:14:18 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's the front lines in T92 after some recon action has just taken place. All the Soviet airbases are bordered in yellow.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 625
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T92 - 10/28/2011 6:30:58 AM   
larryfulkerson

And I know a lot of you guys were sending me messages about the captured stuff, "What have you captured so far....", that kind of
thing so I thought I'd post the Production Screen filtered to the captured stuff. Some of the captured stuff is already
distributed out to the units.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 626
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T93 - 10/29/2011 2:52:35 PM   
larryfulkerson

T93: This is the front lines after some Soviet recon is applied:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 627
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T94 - 10/30/2011 1:49:51 AM   
larryfulkerson

T94: This front line image is almost identical to the T93 front line image but I'm posting it here to show any differences to those of you who are keeping up with the movement of the units etc.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 628
RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T95 - 10/31/2011 6:54:45 AM   
larryfulkerson

T95:  mud turn and nothing happened that I know about and on the other hand there were some spectacular losses:

There's only the mention of two partisan battles and nothing else in the way of combat So I have no idea what caused these losses.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 10/31/2011 6:55:32 AM >

Post #: 629
RE: 1.05.37beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T96 - 11/1/2011 6:29:47 AM   
larryfulkerson

T96 is a mud turn so nothing happened. Also, did I happen to mention that I've upgraded to the 1.05.037 beta version?

EDIT: T97 is also a mud turn so nothing happened in it either.

EDIT2: T98 is also a mud turn so nothing happened in it either.

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 11/2/2011 8:55:46 PM >

Post #: 630
Page:   <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: 1.05.32beta KLilly vs Fulkerson T84 Page: <<   < prev  19 20 [21] 22 23   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI