Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mark 18 Torpedo

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Mark 18 Torpedo Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mark 18 Torpedo - 8/2/2011 4:00:22 AM   
msieving1

Just curious, do any US subs use the Mark 18 torpedo? It's in the database, but I didn't see any sub classes using it. Historically, by 1945 about 65% of all submarine torpedoes fired were Mark 18s.
Post #: 1
RE: Mark 18 Torpedo - 8/3/2011 5:09:56 PM   
jakla1027

Well I'm not for sure but from my experience of looking through the Editor it looks as tho all US Sub Classes are set to use only the Mark 14. This could be changed with some ease by just switching one (or more if you choose) of the weapon slots to use the Mark 18 in the Ship Classes tab of the editor. So you should be able to take a late war Gato upgrade/class & switch the weapon slots to use whatever torpedo load you want.

It think it'd be possible, so if you try it good luck  

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 2
RE: Mark 18 Torpedo - 8/6/2011 1:07:59 AM   
Terminus

The Mk 18 was not a very good weapon, being slow and mechanically unreliable. It's telling that it was removed from service within a few years after the war, while the Mk 14, in modified forms, soldiered on into the 70's.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to msieving1)
Post #: 3
RE: Mark 18 Torpedo - 8/6/2011 2:55:48 AM   
khyberbill

I would venture to say that usually about a third of our torpedoes were MK 14's on the sub I was on when I got out in 1974. The torpedo ratings (TM's)liked them because they did were low maintenance.

"Its a dog eat dog world Sammy and I am wearing Milkbone underwear" -Norm.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 4
RE: Mark 18 Torpedo - 8/6/2011 3:43:59 AM   
msieving1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

The Mk 18 was not a very good weapon, being slow and mechanically unreliable. It's telling that it was removed from service within a few years after the war, while the Mk 14, in modified forms, soldiered on into the 70's.

Still, they were very widely used late in the war. The slow speed was less of a factor against slow cargo ships, which were the primary target.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 5
RE: Mark 18 Torpedo - 8/6/2011 3:45:36 AM   
msieving1

quote:

ORIGINAL: jakla1027

Well I'm not for sure but from my experience of looking through the Editor it looks as tho all US Sub Classes are set to use only the Mark 14. This could be changed with some ease by just switching one (or more if you choose) of the weapon slots to use the Mark 18 in the Ship Classes tab of the editor. So you should be able to take a late war Gato upgrade/class & switch the weapon slots to use whatever torpedo load you want.

That's what I did. Of course, I've just reach 1 January 1942, so I may not live to see them.

(in reply to jakla1027)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Mark 18 Torpedo Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI