Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Returning player questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Returning player questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Returning player questions - 8/2/2011 6:36:13 PM   
alarikf

Howdy, I'm thinking about getting back into DW (and perhaps buying ROTS), but I was wondering about the status of the wishlist items.

Basically, I stopped playing before not just because life got very busy with a new kid, but also because I found some of the issues too annoying to get past. For example, I found the whole moon names being random (rather than hierarchical) to be very annoying. And other UI issues like that.

In the current version of DW and with ROTS, do y'all think that things are a fair bit better?

Thanks and sorry for the open-ended nature of this post, I'm just trying to gauge the state of the game nowadays...

Post #: 1
RE: Returning player questions - 8/2/2011 7:55:56 PM   
Data

Well, overall things are more than a fair bit better in ROTS and we'll get a new expansion also but that part about moon names being random is still there so....you be the judge

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to alarikf)
Post #: 2
RE: Returning player questions - 8/2/2011 8:02:01 PM   
alarikf

Crikey. What the hell is the problem with the moon names. I mean, can't we all agree that having them be random totally blows? Have they said they're gonna fix them?

But, anyways, I'll check things out.

Thanks!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

Well, overall things are more than a fair bit better in ROTS and we'll get a new expansion also but that part about moon names being random is still there so....you be the judge

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 3
RE: Returning player questions - 8/2/2011 8:59:06 PM   
Igard

Back in the early days, the moons were named just the same as planets. We all complained about the moons not being given their own designation. What we all wanted was an alpha numeric name for moons, so for example, our Earth's moon would be called Sol IIIa. The first moon of the 3rd planet from the sun. Makes perfect sense right?

Unfortunately we didn't make that clear enough and Elliot changed the moon names to what we have now. Random confusion ensued and we're even worse off now than we were before.

So, let's be clear with what we want this time. Are we all happy with the Sol IIIa naming scheme?

(in reply to alarikf)
Post #: 4
RE: Returning player questions - 8/2/2011 9:09:55 PM   
Data

Here, here...I agree.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 5
RE: Returning player questions - 8/2/2011 9:24:53 PM   
alarikf

Heck yeah.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

Back in the early days, the moons were named just the same as planets. We all complained about the moons not being given their own designation. What we all wanted was an alpha numeric name for moons, so for example, our Earth's moon would be called Sol IIIa. The first moon of the 3rd planet from the sun. Makes perfect sense right?

Unfortunately we didn't make that clear enough and Elliot changed the moon names to what we have now. Random confusion ensued and we're even worse off now than we were before.

So, let's be clear with what we want this time. Are we all happy with the Sol IIIa naming scheme?

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 6
RE: Returning player questions - 8/2/2011 10:07:02 PM   
tjhkkr

Right now, can you rename planets?
I never do, so that is why I ask?

As far as the designation: that is good by me.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to alarikf)
Post #: 7
RE: Returning player questions - 8/3/2011 3:14:48 AM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

Right now, can you rename planets?
I never do, so that is why I ask?

As far as the designation: that is good by me.

Yes TJ, you can rename planets and moons. You can also use the editor
and rename entire systems if you wish.

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 8
RE: Returning player questions - 8/3/2011 6:22:38 AM   
Romtos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

Yes, please.
It's much more intuitive.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 9
RE: Returning player questions - 8/3/2011 3:24:12 PM   
tjhkkr

What might be kind of cool would be to have a couple of different name files...
One for nebulas... you Star Trek Fans could have your nebulas, we SW folks would have ours...
One for black holes and novas
And then the system names....

That would probably be a bit of a pain though because it would require 3 more "file open" commands

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Romtos)
Post #: 10
RE: Returning player questions - 8/3/2011 4:18:29 PM   
Data

I like the idea and there's not that much extra coding involved; it will also be more modder friendly.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Returning player questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI