Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A very interesting naval warfare game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> A very interesting naval warfare game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/10/2011 9:39:42 PM   
Perturabo

I have recently learned about Dreadnoughts by Turcan Research. It's an old game - 19 years old but has a very innovative approach to command & control - orders are given by signals or by wireless. There's a signal officer on board that does the communication.
For example, player gives an order to signal to another ship to send its damage report, there's a confirmation/lack of confirmation in the same turn and a response in next turn (or a message that the communication officer tries to contact again).

It's possible to lose sight of a friendly ships, to move flag from one ship to another (in right conditions), be unable to communicate with a ship, etc.

It's pretty engaging and immersive. Additionally, it's possible to write commands (besides picking them from a menu) which adds to immersion. It doesn't have a point and click command map, which makes it more realistic than a typical wargame.

I just mopped the floor with the Japanese in the battle of Yalu River by good manoeuvring.

People shouldn't ask themselves why schools get shoot up.
They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.
Post #: 1
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/10/2011 10:20:19 PM   
Terminus

You forgot to add that it's on the AMIGA!!! And it looks like an arse made with LEGOs.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 2
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/12/2011 12:47:34 AM   
Perturabo

I just managed to hunt down a full boxed version on eBay. I also got two other games by that developer - Peter Turcan. Apparently all of them have a command & control system with messengers and stuff.

Also, I like the graphics in the game. They are simple high-res (640-480) polygons without textures. Here are some screenshots:

Sighting report at the beginning of the game.

Land.

Giving an order.

Map.

Combat.

They should ask themselves why people who finish schools burned out due to mobbing aren't receiving high enough compensations to not seek vengeance.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/13/2011 9:26:06 AM   
mytony

not like war

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 4
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/13/2011 9:05:55 PM   
Terminus

**** off, spambot.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to mytony)
Post #: 5
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/13/2011 9:44:14 PM   
Hanal

Reported and on the run....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 6
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/18/2011 5:59:51 PM   
a7v

I still have the PC-Version of this game. One great thing was, that you could make your own ships by changing the ship data that were saved in a text file. It used a simple code for guns, bridges , funnels etc. I made some superheavy German battleships there.
His landbattles (Waterloo, Borodino, Austerlitz) also had a very interesting way to give orders, as mentioned above. It used a parser to give commands to subordinates who then could follow these orders or not. The orders were forwarded by riding messengers who could be killed or captured. This sytem gave you some idea about the problems in a battle.

Some examples of commands:

Davout at 12:30pm order Boursier to move to Kobelnitz
Davout order Friant to defend the hill 1/2 mile NE of Pratzen
Bernadotte send me your battlereport
All corps change your strategy to retreat and many more...

For its day it was a very sophisticated game concept.

Sincerely

Rainer

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 7
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/18/2011 10:06:25 PM   
Perturabo

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only person that has played that game.

quote:

ORIGINAL: A7V_U

I still have the PC-Version of this game. One great thing was, that you could make your own ships by changing the ship data that were saved in a text file. It used a simple code for guns, bridges , funnels etc. I made some superheavy German battleships there.

I would probably make some ironclads. One thing that this game misses for me is some kind of a scenario generator. Historical scenarios are too few to offer long replayablity.

quote:

ORIGINAL: A7V_U

For its day it was a very sophisticated game concept.

I wouldn't say that it was a very sophisticated game concept for its day. There are lots of interesting concepts in old games that didn't make it into other games or became a favourite concept of a single company/developer.
Today we have much more advanced technology and such a simulation of command and control is still very rare..

(in reply to a7v)
Post #: 8
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/18/2011 11:57:43 PM   
ETF

Try JUTLAND by storm studios. 10/10 IMHO.

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 9
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/19/2011 2:04:31 AM   
Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ETF

Does it have a good simulation of command & control?

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 10
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/23/2011 6:21:42 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ETF

Does it have a good simulation of command & control?

Yeah, the DRM it uses is so bad, they Command & Control whether you can play 'your' game, or not...

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 11
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/23/2011 9:08:37 PM   
Perturabo

That's the famous "STORMPOWERED!" stuff that they were advertising?

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 12
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/24/2011 2:08:59 AM   
sabre1

Action Stations was the best period, but I have never seen it available anywhere for DL.

< Message edited by sabre1 -- 8/24/2011 12:30:02 PM >

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 13
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/24/2011 2:18:32 AM   
HighwayStar

I'll second that! And third it! Action Stations still is the best tactical naval surface warfare game ever.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 14
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/24/2011 3:39:05 AM   
Perturabo

Why was it the best? Also, how do you know that it was the best? Did you play all the tactical naval surface games ever released?

(in reply to HighwayStar)
Post #: 15
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/24/2011 12:29:30 PM   
sabre1

It was a DOS game. Graphics were much less than the game you like. Things I remeber was laying smoke, shooting star shells at night, flooding compartments, and other mechanical damages and breakdowns. It was very extensive in it's scope, except for graphics. I have not seen a game since Action Stations that covered everything it did. I talked with the developer many times over the phone when the game came out. A real gentleman, with customer care like you will never see again, except for maybe Ron Dockal, who is also the consummate gentleman.

I know memory fades, but I doubt you will find a single person who ever played Action Stations tell you it was not the best naval simulation ever to come out. It did not have a campaign mode IIRC.

"Action Stations is a Naval Surface Combat Tactical Simulation covering the years 1922-1945. The game treats thoroughly in detail smoke, starshells, flares, searchlights, radar, shore batteries, stack gasses, aircraft recce and spotting, burning oil slicks, capsized hulks, weather and more. Ship classes go from PT Boats to Battleships and represent the U.S., German, British, Italian, French, Japanese, Dutch and Russian Fleets. Many "design only" classes included. In addition to 30 packaged scenarios, the build scenario feature allows you to generate an infinite number of new situations."

< Message edited by sabre1 -- 8/24/2011 12:35:15 PM >

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 16
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/24/2011 1:21:59 PM   
Perturabo

Does it include simulation of C&C?

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 17
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/25/2011 12:56:48 AM   
sabre1

Sheeesh, I don't remember that. I just remember that when it came out, it was the most detailed naval simulation around.

I haven't seen any naval sim since come close to the detail, it was information overload, and it wasn't graphically presented. The closest game I can think of currenlty produced would be Aurora, a 4x space game, that will make you eyes bleed with data.

< Message edited by sabre1 -- 8/25/2011 12:54:47 PM >

(in reply to Perturabo)
Post #: 18
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/25/2011 1:06:40 AM   
Perturabo

Isn't information overload a bit unrealistic?

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 19
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/25/2011 9:08:34 PM   
ezzler

I just looked that up.
Yep, my eyes are bleeding.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 20
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/26/2011 3:17:47 AM   
Aurelian

Had the Aniga version of Action Stations. Learned not to use land in my computer generated battles, as the AI would run into it.

Distant Guns/Jutland is the closest I've seen to it.

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 21
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/26/2011 3:37:18 AM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sabre1

Sheeesh, I don't remember that. I just remember that when it came out, it was the most detailed naval simulation around.

I haven't seen any naval sim since come close to the detail, it was information overload, and it wasn't graphically presented. The closest game I can think of currenlty produced would be Aurora, a 4x space game, that will make you eyes bleed with data.

dang, I just spent some time reading on Aurora. You have to make sure the weight of your ship doesn't outweigh the engine capacity, make sure your crew has enough engineers, make sure your weapons have an up to date tracking system, and it goes on!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 22
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/26/2011 11:56:38 AM   
a7v

Yes, Action Stations! was one of the most detailed simulations I ever have played and yes, its graphics were very poor. The comparison to Aurora also came immediately to my mind, it also reminds me a bit of the first Harpoon...

Concerning Jutland I only once had a problem last year when the Server was down for some days. Normally I always can start the program and play without problems. For my taste the game is worth the money (at least the basic game, I don´t have the ship packs...) although I consider the campaign a bit easy and the interface could be improved. As usual, if you only play to win you easily can outsmart the AI.

It is the only game with DRM I ever purchased

Greetings

Rainer

(in reply to ilovestrategy)
Post #: 23
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/27/2011 4:15:44 AM   
greg31

wow..how much did you bought that game Perturabo?

(in reply to a7v)
Post #: 24
RE: A very interesting naval warfare game - 8/27/2011 5:21:19 AM   
planner 3

Greg.....Rhymes with Dreg...He is a dreg..SPAMMER WHAMMER

"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "

(in reply to greg31)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> A very interesting naval warfare game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI