Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Latest news...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Latest news... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Latest news... - 8/24/2011 3:28:27 AM   
Igard

Wow! Thank you Erik. I'm amazed that you're sharing this with us. It certainly seems  as though you've changed your policy. We got nothing before RotS expansion!

Are you sure you've got permission to share this with us? Just kiddin'.

Actually looks really good. I had a feeling it would be a system like this. It's very similar to GalCiv, which I think is the best way to go for such a complex map (so many systems).

There appear to be several borders, so a nice screenshot for this. Looks like the larger the population, the greater the sphere of influence.

It looks like a distance of about 3/4 of a sector radius for a densly populated system. Very small systems have a fraction of this, looks like about 1/20th of a sector radius! This is very good. It means we can't just colonise a system, then expect to go on to control the rest of the sector. Should provide lots of little 'border skirmishes'. I like that very much.

What else can we see?....

Our recent breakthrough in desert colonisation produces a new scientist! Very interesting.

We've got some white dotted lines. Looks like trade routes.

Fleet posture. Defend Taros 2 and sector. Good stuff. There's also a little picture of a human with a badge on him. An officer/captain/admiral perhaps?

Are those a couple of new icons I recognise above the mini-map? I'm not sure, I never look there.

Did I miss anything?

Well it looks really promising. Looks really good actually. I'm sort of surprised!

I do have some questions, but I think I'll wait until I can collate all the info and.... AWW Heck!! I can't wait to try this!!!!

Really looking forward to beta testing now. That's assuming my application is accepted.

< Message edited by Igard -- 8/24/2011 3:29:15 AM >

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 31
RE: Latest news... - 8/24/2011 3:58:09 AM   
Haree78

List of things spotted:
Researching an item created a scientist character.
New mini map icons appear to toggle different information.
One of the new types of info appears to be ship destination with dotted line on the main map.
The Resort Location icon seems to have changed.
New Fleet commands in the selection window can be seen.
We have the ability to command Fleet to defend areas rather than patrol perhaps?
The human picture of the fleet appears to have a red icon in the bottom right of the picture, perhaps indicating a character or something else?
Fleets have a visible posture in the selection window.

Post #: 32
RE: Latest news... - 8/24/2011 5:45:40 AM   
J HG T

Oooo... shiny new screen...
Borders, characters and better diplomacy seem to be there so I'm quite happy already.
Interesting to see how much of the old icons and visuals are going to be updated.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Haree78)
Post #: 33
RE: Latest news... - 8/24/2011 7:04:42 AM   
Data

Drooling over the new stuff, a picture does do more than a thousand words so if the policy has changed as Igard notices than it's a great change.
Also, an update before the expansion? Really cool stuff.

< Message edited by Data -- 8/24/2011 7:05:24 AM >

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 34
RE: Latest news... - 8/24/2011 7:08:10 AM   
ehsumrell1

Wow Erik, I'm so far impressed! This reminds me of the 'influence' realms that GalCiv II
has, but with more. I also notice in the report window about the research breakthrough
'producing a new scientist'. I assume that you guys have added 'scientists' as a sort
of commodity that can be earned. Interesting! Hmmm....I wonder if this also means that
there has been some head-way made possibly toward 'Captains' or similar shipboard personnel
as well?

Chomping at the bit to begin testing! Will we get notification through the developmental forum
soon? Tell Elliot that I'm ready to both give up my current devotion time with Mina, my Orion
Slave Girl AND I will also give him my key to Igard's Cargo Bay and the security codes as well!
(S O R R Y I G A R D!)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 8/24/2011 7:11:13 AM >

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

Post #: 35
RE: Latest news... - 8/24/2011 2:45:07 PM   
Spacecadet

Yes, this does look interesting.

My guess on the Borders is that it's going to be based on the Colony/Colonies Development/Culture level.
We've all seen the "Culture" values in our reports, and up to now they seem mainly to reflect Development level.

I'm wondering if Elliot has finally figured out how he wants to implement Star Base Colonies . . . .

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 36
RE: Latest news... - 8/24/2011 4:15:23 PM   
Shark7

quote:

Diplomacy has been overhauled to allow the negotiation of mining and refueling rights within your controlled systems, among other improvements.

Woot! Ok, little (actually a whole lot) excited as this is something I specifically asked for. Looks like Elliot is giving us a much improved diplomacy system.

Secomdly, I don't know if anyone else noticed, but it seems to me that the fleets have a few new commands to choose from...I see a shield in its action menu, which to me screams '"Guard Command".

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 37
RE: Latest news... - 8/24/2011 7:56:43 PM   
Sithuk

Erik: Will game data be externalised in easily to edit file formats for modders?

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 38
RE: Latest news... - 8/24/2011 8:14:56 PM   
Erik Rutins

We are externalizing more as we go. So far there will be a lot more that can be done in terms of the races and policies. We're focusing a lot of time in this expansion on making each faction different and unique and having a great leader and character system and we are also making those abilities accessible to modders.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Sithuk)
Post #: 39
RE: Latest news... - 8/24/2011 8:42:35 PM   
Sithuk

Erik: Thank you for the info. I had hoped that large amounts of the game variables would be externalised in this expansion. The modders could then spend many hours optimising the game balance. I appreciate it takes time to extricate the variables from the code and relocate to external files. Externalising the game data would unlock the many eager volunteers who could balance the gameplay for you. Achieving true balance takes many many months if not years of modding. It is never done by game devs because it costs too much in time. Please let us do that. Please give us the ability to do it.

I intend to buy the expansion. I already have bought the original and RoTS. The screenshot above hints at much appreciated user interface updates. I like the borders/influence concept with the diplomacy tie-ins.

< Message edited by Sithuk -- 8/24/2011 8:45:27 PM >

Post #: 40
RE: Latest news... - 8/24/2011 8:50:24 PM   
J HG T

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

We're focusing a lot of time in this expansion on making each faction different and unique and having a great leader and character system and we are also making those abilities accessible to modders.

Sounds great to me! Can't wait to see how the character system and more unique factions work.

Post #: 41
RE: Latest news... - 8/24/2011 9:36:42 PM   
Fishers of Men

Thanks Erik!! I immediately noticed the "science" character reference in scrolling information field and gave Elliot a big thumbs up. There is a lot to examine here, but its all good with me. I can't wait to get my hands on this expansion!!

Old............but very fast

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 42
RE: Latest news... - 8/24/2011 9:39:48 PM   
tjhkkr

Woe, Nellie!

This is FANTASTIC! Nice work to the guys in the back room making this happen. This is fantastic!
Did I say this is fantastic?

IGard, ehsumrell1: you are lucky I work MORE THAN full time hours, and that I actually LIKE what I do for a living... otherwise there would be competition to beta test...

Did I say this is/was kind of sort of mildly cool?

< Message edited by tjhkkr -- 8/24/2011 9:46:04 PM >

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 43
RE: Latest news... - 8/24/2011 9:45:47 PM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

IGard, ehsumrell1: you are lucky I work MORE THAN full time hours, and that I actually LIKE what I do for a living... otherwise there would be competition to beta test...

Hey TJ. I think to be a beta tester requires only a few hours a week. 8 hours or something like that (don't quote me on that). You can spare that time and lend a hand can't you?

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 44
RE: Latest news... - 8/24/2011 10:10:25 PM   
Hawawaa

Thanks Eric! Desert tech unlocks a scientist! COOL! That picture of the human with a rank! (OMG I love 4x games with important people you can mess with!)

I hope you can level them and make them all awesome! And ya can't forget the possibility of them getting killed too! Yes its good to dream! 

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 45
RE: Latest news... - 8/24/2011 11:03:19 PM   
nammafia

Thank you for the update. Things are looking better.

I hope that the lines between ships and planets can be toggle on/off or mouse over to appear. The map will be crowded if those lines are permanent like the current immigration routes. At the minimum, those lines should only be for your own empire only.

Post #: 46
RE: Latest news... - 8/24/2011 11:11:57 PM   
nammafia

It looks like the line vectors between ships and destinations can be toggle on/off with the button on the right mini map.  Great!

(in reply to nammafia)
Post #: 47
RE: Latest news... - 8/24/2011 11:29:42 PM   
nammafia

What is a sector?  How to define a sector?  Is this new?

(in reply to nammafia)
Post #: 48
RE: Latest news... - 8/24/2011 11:54:00 PM   
Simulation01

I love the new information and thank you for posting it.  Now......what about foreign colonization of worlds "under your control"?  This makes me nervous.  I'm afraid of the answer ( Assuming I get one ).

< Message edited by Simulation01 -- 8/25/2011 12:04:27 AM >

"Tho' much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved Earth and Heaven; that which we are, we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will." -Tennyson

(in reply to nammafia)
Post #: 49
RE: Latest news... - 8/25/2011 12:04:09 AM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard
quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

Hey TJ. I think to be a beta tester requires only a few hours a week. 8 hours or something like that (don't quote me on that). You can spare that time and lend a hand can't you?

It cannot be counted on. In my line of work, it is usually very busy. I take time off for my day off to play DW, but I also like to write and so it competes. I have completed a novel, and am editing it for publication... so that is another joy of mine...
But if I had TWO days off...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 50
RE: Latest news... - 8/25/2011 12:22:38 AM   
Spacecadet

quote:

ORIGINAL: nammafia

What is a sector?  How to define a sector?  Is this new?

A Sector is just the squares on the Galaxy grid - they range from A to J along the top and 1 to 10 on the sides.

So the upper leftmost square is Sector A-1.

(in reply to nammafia)
Post #: 51
RE: Latest news... - 8/25/2011 6:08:12 AM   
nammafia

Thanks, Spacecadet.  I totally forgot about that.

On the presentation of border, are there other alternatives to a solid color for each empire?  I prefer just metallic looking boundary lines over the solid colors so that we can still have the galaxy background and decoration, much easier on the eyes than solid colors.

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 52
RE: Latest news... - 8/25/2011 6:59:40 AM   
Data

quote:

but I also like to write and so it competes. I have completed a novel, and am editing it for publication... so that is another joy of mine...

to quote a classic.....Woe, Nellie!
TJ, you sly son of a romulan; always complaining about your mastery of english and now popping out a novel. You do realize we all have to beta test it
Sorry for the OT, everybody, but this is BIG news.....congratulations, TJ

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 53
RE: Latest news... - 8/25/2011 12:52:13 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

TJ, you sly son of a romulan; always complaining about your mastery of english and now popping out a novel. You do realize we all have to beta test it. Sorry for the OT, everybody, but this is BIG news.....congratulations, TJ

As always: you are too kind to me...
It has a ways to go... although it is finished story-wise, it has maybe another 4-6 months work...
And you may not like the subject. But I will give you a steer in when the time comes...

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 54
RE: Latest news... - 8/25/2011 10:43:31 PM   
Zakhal

Does the new version come with bigger map? The galaxy becomes too small too fast when ship engines get better. You can literally jump from one end to the other in a snap. Distance is an important factor in a strategy game.

Allthough I do have sots2 limited edition ordered from amazon.co.uk for 28€ (insane prices) I wouldnt seeing more of dw too. The current 4x space genre is far from crowded. Im thinking of getting ipad for the sole purpose of getting access into its 4x space games.

< Message edited by Zakhal -- 8/25/2011 10:44:33 PM >

"99.9% of all internet arguments are due to people not understanding someone else's point. The other 0.1% is arguing over made up statistics."- unknown poster
"Those who dont read history are destined to repeat it."– Edmund Burke

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 55
RE: Latest news... - 8/26/2011 1:26:06 AM   
adecoy95

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

We are externalizing more as we go. So far there will be a lot more that can be done in terms of the races and policies. We're focusing a lot of time in this expansion on making each faction different and unique and having a great leader and character system and we are also making those abilities accessible to modders.

Regards,

- Erik

everything about this paragraph just makes me, so very happy.

< Message edited by adecoy95 -- 8/26/2011 1:33:20 AM >

Post #: 56
RE: Latest news... - 8/26/2011 2:34:46 AM   
EisenHammer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zakhal

Does the new version come with bigger map? The galaxy becomes too small too fast when ship engines get better.

I'm also wondering about this.

< Message edited by EisenHammer -- 8/26/2011 2:36:41 AM >

(in reply to Zakhal)
Post #: 57
RE: Latest news... - 8/26/2011 6:10:26 AM   
J HG T

@Adecoy95

Hah! The mandatory MLP:FIM reference. No modern message board is complete without them. /mild sarcasm.

(in reply to EisenHammer)
Post #: 58
RE: Latest news... - 8/26/2011 8:24:06 PM   
ASHBERY76

I do not like the idea of culture or having loads of population giving any increase to a sphere of influence.That is an unrealistic concept without any frame of reference or basis in reality.

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 59
RE: Latest news... - 8/26/2011 9:49:23 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76
I do not like the idea of culture or having loads of population giving any increase to a sphere of influence.That is an unrealistic concept without any frame of reference or basis in reality.

I do not think it is completely out of line: I think the larger the population, the more space travel, trade, and space activity would occur. Now it would not be a direct proportion, and over time as the populations grows larger, the less the sphere would grow so by the time you reach a population of 20 billion, 40 billion would not influence the sphere all that much, if it all...
Now, am I space population expert... no, but I play one on cable TV...
Or in other words, I am just throwing an opinion at you!

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Latest news... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI