Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ise and Fuso Class

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Ise and Fuso Class Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ise and Fuso Class - 8/11/2011 8:47:33 PM   
SargeantTex

I am working on a modded scen I figure to take the Ise and Fuso class remove the two center turrets I calculated the weight of turret shells and powder to be about 1700-1900 tons each saved plus the barbettes weighed about 800 tons each.
I figured to take the two center turrets cause the aft turrets would realistically make them bow heavy and cause all kinds of stability problems although the midships would probably need strenghtening.
I doubt removing these turrets would do much for speed without new boilers but I never liked admidship turrets plus the deck space could be used for antiaircraft you could probably get 1-2 more knots out of them but I figure I could use that weight for more deck armour!
I am thinking of two possibilities either more deck armour and increased AA or more range and 1-2 knot increase, I figured that extra space could be used for fuel bunkerage.
Post #: 1
RE: Ise and Fuso Class - 8/11/2011 10:52:37 PM   
Terminus

Well, is this something that's meant to be realistic, or are we again talking Star Fleet Battles?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to SargeantTex)
Post #: 2
RE: Ise and Fuso Class - 8/11/2011 10:57:30 PM   
SargeantTex

if it was real we wouldnt be staring at a computer screen thinkin this stuff up now would we!!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Ise and Fuso Class - 8/12/2011 12:18:47 AM   
el cid again

quote:

ORIGINAL: SargeantTex

I am working on a modded scen I figure to take the Ise and Fuso class remove the two center turrets I calculated the weight of turret shells and powder to be about 1700-1900 tons each saved plus the barbettes weighed about 800 tons each.
I figured to take the two center turrets cause the aft turrets would realistically make them bow heavy and cause all kinds of stability problems although the midships would probably need strenghtening.
I doubt removing these turrets would do much for speed without new boilers but I never liked admidship turrets plus the deck space could be used for antiaircraft you could probably get 1-2 more knots out of them but I figure I could use that weight for more deck armour!
I am thinking of two possibilities either more deck armour and increased AA or more range and 1-2 knot increase, I figured that extra space could be used for fuel bunkerage.

This is an entirely feasible modification and would NOT cause the ships to become "bow heavy." For one thing, a realistic addition of turrets, magazines, directors and magazines (there is also something that does not translate - a fire control computer in the analog sense that would be added) - the weight change would not be very great. For another, to the extent displacement decreased, the ship would just ride a bit higher and have slightly more freeboard.

In fact, a design contemplating removal of these turrets - rather two such designs - were histocally contemplated in the summer of 1942 - in favor of aircraft hangers and related things.

When designed these were really pioneering ships - they were more or less Kongos with 50% more turrets - and the then new 14 inch main battery (which outranked the 12 inch of the Dreadnaught era). They were almost wholly rebuilt between the wars - and given a rather good fleet speed and significant protection improvements. See Schlachtshiffe and Schalchtkreutzer (Breyer) - which exists in English form as Battleships and Battlecruisers - or the magnificant Conway reference The Battleship Fuso.

For ideas about the AAA suite, see Japanese Cruisers of the Pacific War and the many plans described therein - including the plans to modify these very ships as semi-carriers or full carriers (including a 2/3 conversion involving these turrets you describe). The ships could take several different weapons - the most llikely being 5 inch DP guns in pairs - already fitted - the doubling of t hese mountings was done to Yamato. But there are other options. You could contemplate a complete rebuild with 4 inch (100 mm) -- the finest AAA gun in Japan - and possibly in the world - if you are willing to mount these turrets which are heavier than the 5 inch. Or you might rebuild using the finest 3 inch in the world - the brand new limited production 3 inch 60 - comparable only to a just post war (designed for the war US automatic 3 inch 50 - not the same as the wartime 3 inch 50) - a mounting that does not require below decks modifications. Thus you might end up with 8 dual 5 inch mounts and as many dual 3 inch mounts - and more important - 4 AA directors on a side - sited so a pair bears forward and aft. These forward and aft bearing guns control 5 inch batteries - the middle directors control the 3 inch. All eight would get a Japanese fire control computer - and all eight could fire under local control if needs be. If the design is late enough, and if you can solve the quality control problems in your fictional Japan, you might mount a number of single 40 mm AA - more or less Bofors - as well. That weapon - called Type 5 - did not enter service in 1945 as the type number suggests - but was in llimited production from 1943 - having been captured in 1942 at Singapore. It had slightly more ceiling than the Bofors.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 8/12/2011 12:20:04 AM >

(in reply to SargeantTex)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Ise and Fuso Class Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI