Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is there a way to Load a Scenario/Campaign with alternate rules?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> Mods and Scenarios >> Is there a way to Load a Scenario/Campaign with alternate rules? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is there a way to Load a Scenario/Campaign with alterna... - 8/14/2011 2:48:25 PM   
jaldaen

I've done some modding in the past for the Civilization games and one thing that the lastest game (Civ5) does right is its modding... you don't have to save over core files or anything like that. You just create your mod or download someone else's mod and voila! You can play you mod by choosing it from the Mods menu and play it without affecting the core files.

Is there a way to do this through the scenario editor (for example... can a scanario or campaign draw on alternative files from a predetermined Mod folder)? If not, are there any plans to add such a system to this game?

For example:

Say I wanted to mod the order of scenarios in the main campaign. Could I use the scenario editor to create an alternative campaign.pzdat in a Panzer Corp/Mods/Alternative Main Campaign folder and have the game use that campaign.pzdat rather than the one included in the main game?

Or if I wanted a scenario to use different unit stats and rules, could I have the scenario draw upon the alternative files as determined by the scenario editor?

Thanks,
Joseph
Post #: 1
RE: Is there a way to Load a Scenario/Campaign with alt... - 8/14/2011 3:39:48 PM   
Razz1

Sorry, there isn't

(in reply to jaldaen)
Post #: 2
RE: Is there a way to Load a Scenario/Campaign with alt... - 8/14/2011 4:03:59 PM   
jaldaen

Razz,

Thanks for the quick answer. I didn't see a way to do this, but I wanted to make sure i wasn't missing something. Maybe someday someone with more coding ability and time than me will be able to figure out how to make such a setup work.

Best Wishes,
Joseph

(in reply to Razz1)
Post #: 3
RE: Is there a way to Load a Scenario/Campaign with alt... - 8/14/2011 4:20:33 PM   
Dragoon.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jaldaen

I've done some modding in the past for the Civilization games and one thing that the lastest game (Civ5) does right is its modding... you don't have to save over core files or anything like that. You just create your mod or download someone else's mod and voila! You can play you mod by choosing it from the Mods menu and play it without affecting the core files.

Is there a way to do this through the scenario editor (for example... can a scanario or campaign draw on alternative files from a predetermined Mod folder)? If not, are there any plans to add such a system to this game?

For example:

Say I wanted to mod the order of scenarios in the main campaign. Could I use the scenario editor to create an alternative campaign.pzdat in a Panzer Corp/Mods/Alternative Main Campaign folder and have the game use that campaign.pzdat rather than the one included in the main game?

Or if I wanted a scenario to use different unit stats and rules, could I have the scenario draw upon the alternative files as determined by the scenario editor?

Thanks,
Joseph

quote:

Great idea, this should be included.
How about a custom mod menu inside the game? The content drawn from a mod folder in root of the game where we can drop each mod into it's own folder. From a standardized text file inside each mod folder the game would get all necessary information. Like, it's a campaign, scenario, description, mission brifings and etc. .

When the game looks into the mod folder and find files named after preexisting stock files like campaign.pzdat or OOB's it will use them instead. To make it simpler to replace files without the need to overwrite existing files and have backups.
So everyone still can have a vanilla game for MP without the need to swap files back and fourth all the time. Of course it would be great if MP would support the use of mods too. Including a full list of all files used with a MD5 hash.

< Message edited by Dragoon -- 8/14/2011 7:10:20 PM >

(in reply to jaldaen)
Post #: 4
RE: Is there a way to Load a Scenario/Campaign with alt... - 8/14/2011 5:43:08 PM   
jaldaen

Dragoon,

Exactly! Maybe we should add this to the Wishlist thread. ;)

(in reply to Dragoon.)
Post #: 5
RE: Is there a way to Load a Scenario/Campaign with alt... - 8/14/2011 6:12:42 PM   
Razz1

The team is already looking at this aspect.

(in reply to jaldaen)
Post #: 6
RE: Is there a way to Load a Scenario/Campaign with alt... - 8/14/2011 7:07:35 PM   
Dragoon.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Razz

The team is already looking at this aspect.

Oh that's great to hear. Any change to have some more detail. I would love to read which system they plan integrate.
Will it be modular, with mod packages that can easily independently activated?

(in reply to Razz1)
Post #: 7
RE: Is there a way to Load a Scenario/Campaign with alt... - 8/14/2011 8:15:09 PM   
jaldaen

Razz,

That's awesome news! I can't wait (okay I can wait... but it'll be hard) to see what you all come up with. ;)

Best Wishes,
Joseph

(in reply to Dragoon.)
Post #: 8
RE: Is there a way to Load a Scenario/Campaign with alt... - 8/19/2011 5:10:51 PM   
schwaryfalke

Jaldean check the slitherine forums, there is now a tool for switching mods

(in reply to jaldaen)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Panzer Corps >> Mods and Scenarios >> Is there a way to Load a Scenario/Campaign with alternate rules? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI