Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Modding a Sol style system

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Modding a Sol style system Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Modding a Sol style system - 8/16/2011 4:36:10 AM   
Tnarg

Hello, I'm new to DW ROTS but have been an avid fan of x4 Space Strategy since the days of MOO2.

I was reading Cavgunner's Terran Republic AAR and was very interested in the idea of being able to mod a solar system similar to ours for starting. Who doesn't love roleplaying out the Humans, but ambitions are squashed by the idea of having Terra out in fringes of some solar system named Ibeteuka (spelling) as a gas giant moon.

Long ago I edited a whole Star Trek galaxy for SEIV. Granted that was only a 255 star system map and things seemed a bit more simpler as far as saving and uploading it.

I played around the other night trying to recreate my own Sol system. While time consuming, I think I got the hang of it; however, I wouldn't like to do this every time I start a new game.

So I guess what I am looking for is advise on going about making these changes and have them available as a mod or something that I could use again and others if they want. If that is able to be done, I might as well do a majority of the closest stellar neighbors to give a bit more flavor.

Better yet maybe this has already been done and I have overlooked it?

Thanks for any advice.
Post #: 1
RE: Modding a Sol style system - 8/16/2011 7:24:31 AM   
Data

Hi Tnarg and welcome to the forum. Afaik it has been done before but we'll have to dig for it; if I find the thread I'll post it here.
Have fun.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Tnarg)
Post #: 2
RE: Modding a Sol style system - 8/16/2011 7:28:37 AM   
Data

Haven't found it but I remember it was also a recent discussion on this and the level of detail we'd need. But if you concentrate on the planets and big moons it should be doable via the editor. As for modding this there are others more qualified than me who can help.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 3
RE: Modding a Sol style system - 8/16/2011 10:32:52 AM   
feygan

Currently this isn't possible. The best way around your issue of not having to redo the changes each time is to save the game right after making the Sol system. If you wanted to make it a little more unique you could spend time creating proper home systems of the other races also. Hopefully this will be corrected with the next expansion.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 4
RE: Modding a Sol style system - 8/16/2011 6:25:34 PM   
Tnarg

Thank you for the fast response and helping out.

I can now see where currently modding a system like Sol and having it available for other campaigns won't work.

In SEIV I was able to save the whole Star Trek map complete with all of the major races home systems and other known proximity systems and was even able to add in a few surprises here and there and made for a great exploration game. Is this possible with DW and the expansion? Granted it would be map that is always the same and never changes but at least there would be a map available that models the Sol system and perhaps a few neighbors or other galaxies such as Star Wars for that matter.

If this was possible and the map was always the same would that effect some of the events related to the Ancients and Shakturi?

Perhaps in the next expansion a map editor could be available during game setup that allows one to create custom maps and place races in certain spots and determine whether or not some wolfling races are just entering space with only a space constructor, and others that have been around for awhile already spanning several systems.

Thanks again for your knowledge and help.

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 5
RE: Modding a Sol style system - 8/16/2011 7:34:55 PM   
Data

Well, more modding has been promised on the upcoming expansion; maybe we'll not need the editor for this. Wishful thinking, I know

(in reply to Tnarg)
Post #: 6
RE: Modding a Sol style system - 8/16/2011 10:51:03 PM   
Igard

Hi Tnarg. That name... You're not a Klingon are you?

Welcome to the forums.

A map editor would be really cool. Don't know if we'll get this, but the argument has already been made for one. So fingers crossed.

In the mean time, all we can do is enjoy making our own custom star systems. I've already made a Sol system a long time ago and I quite often make a Romulus system for myself.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 7
RE: Modding a Sol style system - 8/16/2011 11:26:12 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

In the mean time, all we can do is enjoy making our own custom star systems. I've already made a Sol system a long time ago and I quite often make a Romulus system for myself.

Yeah, I always do the same, as well as rename the nearest stormy nebula to my
Son'a homeworld the Briar Patch!

Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 8
RE: Modding a Sol style system - 8/17/2011 4:14:01 AM   
Tnarg

In one of the latest versions of one of the photo editing software I use they added presets that users could make on their own or download. This has saved countless hours trying to manipulate all of the 10s to 100s of variables to achieve a specific effect or style. Come up with one we like and save and we can use it over and over at the click of a button. Users have been submitting their own and the numbers of presets grow every day.

If a pre-campaign map editor were implemented in addition to the editor that we can use once the campaign starts, maybe something like a solar system preset could be added to the editing palette. Design your own and save them or download some that other users have made. Want a Binary star system here "click", want to place Sol in that spiral arm "click". Want to build a Star Wars galaxy with all of the favorites open a tab and walla a whole slew of user made systems that some dedicated and talented users have made at your disposal. Just point and click where they should go. Of course the next logical thing would be to be able to save those entire galaxy maps too.

Would this game engine support worm holes and warp gates. More or less for strategic interest purposes, maybe a few random worm holes are floating around connecting one edge of the galaxy to the next. Maybe it leads somewhere, maybe it doesn't, maybe its stable now but in a couple of years it won't be around (do you take the chance of surveying it or setting up a new annex of your empire half a galaxy away knowing that your only link is that worm hole of uncertainty?) Of course a new technology would have to be developed and added to your ships to allow the ship to enter without being destroyed. One could mod star gate networks that have been left behind long ago, once you figure them out you can use them. Or as an extremely advanced technology these could be researched and you can build your own instant access infrastructure.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 9
RE: Modding a Sol style system - 8/17/2011 7:25:16 AM   
Data

quote:

One could mod star gate networks that have been left behind long ago, once you figure them out you can use them.

*moo2 diehard drooling here*

(in reply to Tnarg)
Post #: 10
RE: Modding a Sol style system - 8/17/2011 4:22:35 PM   
Kalthaniell

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

Yeah, I always do the same, as well as rename the nearest stormy nebula to my
Son'a homeworld the Briar Patch!

Eshumrell, I looked up this 'Briar Patch' you often mention and I still can't understand why you like it so much. According to Wiki it's a nebula in ST universe, which is really hard to travel through and has one planet with some type of radiation which can heal organic matter. There was a small colony there populated by a race which rejected technology in hope to establish a perfect society (bit like the Amish?). Is that correct? What was so special about that race?

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 11
RE: Modding a Sol style system - 8/17/2011 7:16:41 PM   
Data

Aaa, you just opened the pandora's box for all of us resident trekkies.....but I'll leave this pleasure to Ed now as he's entitled to rant on this

(in reply to Kalthaniell)
Post #: 12
RE: Modding a Sol style system - 8/17/2011 8:07:09 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kalthaniell

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

Eshumrell, I looked up this 'Briar Patch' you often mention and I still can't understand why you like it so much. According to Wiki it's a nebula in ST universe, which is really hard to travel through and has one planet with some type of radiation which can heal organic matter. There was a small colony there populated by a race which rejected technology in hope to establish a perfect society (bit like the Amish?). Is that correct? What was so special about that race?

First off Kalthaniell, the race is the Bak'u, and in a small manner, can compress, slow
and for a moment, freeze time. (The Son'a are also of the Bak'u race.)

But MOST importantly for me, seeing the difficulty in traversing the Briar Patch as you
have researched.... it's unlikely that you'll hear me complain like Igard of anyone (including a certain bearded android) unlawfully gaining access to (or even getting within parsecs) of my Son'a Cargo Bay, its contents (including my Gold-Pressed Latinum), or MY betrothed Orion Slave Girl Mina (redistributed from a certain Cargo Bay on Romulus weeks ago).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 8/17/2011 8:09:03 PM >

Post #: 13
RE: Modding a Sol style system - 8/17/2011 8:10:52 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Data

Aaa, you just opened the pandora's box for all of us resident trekkies.....but I'll leave this pleasure to Ed now as he's entitled to rant on this

Thanks Data....just for that, I might tell you how to strengthen your hull to
traverse the Briar Patch...... on second thought, NOT!

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 14
RE: Modding a Sol style system - 8/17/2011 8:37:17 PM   
Data

Darn it, my alloys were so near....next time.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 15
RE: Modding a Sol style system - 8/17/2011 8:56:55 PM   
Kalthaniell

Than it's a perfect hideout/storage place. Even the infamous Bearded Android can't infiltrate it, seriously? It's even outside the reach of mighty Romulan Empire? Hmmm if you'll ever open up a bank there it's going to be like Switzerland . Neat.

(in reply to Data)
Post #: 16
RE: Modding a Sol style system - 8/17/2011 10:11:41 PM   
ehsumrell1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kalthaniell

Than it's a perfect hideout/storage place. Even the infamous Bearded Android can't infiltrate it, seriously? It's even outside the reach of mighty Romulan Empire? Hmmm if you'll ever open up a bank there it's going to be like Switzerland . Neat.

....and let us not forget Kalthaniell the REAL reason for solitude. They fear the face-stretching
wrath of the Son'a if they get caught ( as attested by one 'former' Starfleet Admiral)!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ehsumrell1 -- 8/17/2011 10:16:37 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: Modding a Sol style system - 8/17/2011 10:22:10 PM   
Kalthaniell

quote:

....and let us not forget Kalthaniell the REAL reason for solitude. They fear the face-stretching
wrath of the Son'a if they get caught ( as attested by one 'former' Starfleet Admiral)!

You'd think a perfect society would not need a tool for torture and execution. Or is it just a part of some human-incompatible facelift procedure? I guess this Starfleet Officer never new what was coming when he decided to have his nails done

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 18
RE: Modding a Sol style system - 8/17/2011 11:00:21 PM   
Igard

The So'na are a break-away faction of the Ba'ku. And the face stretching is not primarily a torture device, but a cosmetic one. Since the Ba'ku live indefinately, the So'na have developed new ways to extend their life, but keeping those wrinkles under control requires more than just Oil of Olay.

Post #: 19
RE: Modding a Sol style system - 8/18/2011 4:21:02 AM   
tjhkkr

< Message edited by tjhkkr -- 8/18/2011 4:22:13 AM >

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to ehsumrell1)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Modding a Sol style system Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI