Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The art of "averaging out"

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: The art of "averaging out" Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/27/2011 8:15:09 PM   
mdiehl

quote:

And these are all computer games.

None of them are. Any of them could be. Matrix has, at times, toyed with the idea of making computer format versions of WiF and AWAW. I'd bet that no one even owns the copyright to Carrier Battles/The Iron Samurai any more. (Carrier battles is the air attack/air search rules subset. Iron Samurai is the surface combat subset).

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 61
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/27/2011 10:37:23 PM   
JeffroK

quote:

ORIGINAL: mdiehl

quote:

You left out The Eagle and the Sun!

In the immortal words of Gimli the dwarf: "It was deliberate."

Why,

Its one of the prettiest games I ever bought.

Too bad the rules are a total FUBAR.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 62
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/27/2011 10:58:31 PM   
mdiehl

quote:

Why,Its one of the prettiest games I ever bought.Too bad the rules are a total FUBAR.

Because the rules are a total FUBAR.

Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

(in reply to JeffroK)
Post #: 63
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/28/2011 5:15:07 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

quote:

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

I dunno. I looked at the top of the forum page and it reads "Matrix GAMES Forums".  It's a realistic game, but a game nonetheless. 

Me too. But this is a very complex topic, ilovestrategy. It could also be ConSim. Probably depending on what you ate at breakfast.

It seems that to decide what it is, is VERY important to our future and the future of WitP AE, as it will change something FUNDAMENTAL about the way we look at the map
of the Pacific. I don´t know what, but mdiehl wil explain for sure.

LoBaron, I think I can simplify it...at least as I see it.

I play WiTP:AE to relax and have fun, there for it is a game, period. No matter what anyone else wants to call it, I'm not running a sim to see if carrier Akagi is sunk at Midway 99 out of 100 times, I'm playing simply to have fun. It's a game.

I think if everyone would remember why they are playing instead of trying to define what they are playing we'd all be happier.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 64
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/28/2011 5:24:58 AM   
ilovestrategy

Exactly Shark, you hit it right on the nail head!

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 65
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/28/2011 8:02:38 AM   
LoBaron

Hear, hear! Well said!

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 66
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/28/2011 6:37:34 PM   
mdiehl

It's a Consim, or claims to be one, period, no matter what anyone else says. The expectation therefore is that it should not generate wildly implausible results when the players choices result in engagements that are broadly analogous to historical ones. That's why people buy Consims, rather than simply play chess or checkers.

< Message edited by mdiehl -- 8/28/2011 6:39:21 PM >

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 67
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/28/2011 9:01:13 PM   
ilovestrategy

quote:

It's a Consim, or claims to be one, period, no matter what anyone else says. The expectation therefore is that it should not generate wildly implausible results when the players choices result in engagements that are broadly analogous to historical ones. That's why people buy Consims, rather than simply play chess or checkers.

For years I've read posts in this forum talking about Dec. 7th results ranging from every ship sunk at Pearl to not a ship scratched. That sounds like wildly implausible results to me. It's a game, no matter what anyone says.

After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 68
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/28/2011 9:10:11 PM   
mdiehl

It claims, by advertising and subject material, to be a Consim. It may not be a well designed one though.

If it was just all about "playing a game" there's whole arenas where one doesn't expect the game engine to be indexed to anything real, because wars of Middle Earth, Klendathu, the Federation, the Kzin, etc. are fictional.

But someone else already addressed your claim. If advert campaign for WitP said "It's only a game, so don't expect much" then people who buy WW2 consims would avoid it like the plague.

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 69
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/28/2011 9:16:16 PM   
ckammp

quote:

It claims, by advertising and subject material, to be a Consim. It may not be a well designed one though.

If it was just all about "playing a game" there's whole arenas where one doesn't expect the game engine to be indexed to anything real, because wars of Middle Earth, Klendathu, the Federation, the Kzin, etc. are fictional.

But someone else already addressed your claim. If advert campaign for WitP said "It's only a game, so don't expect much" then people who buy WW2 consims would avoid it like the plague.

In what advertising is AE claimed to be a Consim?

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 70
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/28/2011 9:29:49 PM   
mdiehl

On the box cover, where it says "War in the Pacific." On the product description where it is descrived as "brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever."

< Message edited by mdiehl -- 8/28/2011 9:34:48 PM >

(in reply to ckammp)
Post #: 71
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/28/2011 9:58:01 PM   
ckammp

quote:

On the box cover, where it says "War in the Pacific." On the product description where it is descrived as "brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever."

Nothing on the product descripton claims AE is a Consim.

As for the box cover, "War in the Pacific" is simply a title, not a claim to be a Consim.

Either show proof of your claims, or stop lying.

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 72
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/28/2011 10:00:19 PM   
mjk428

quote:

ORIGINAL: ckammp

quote:

As for the box cover, "War in the Pacific" is simply a title, not a claim to be a Consim.

It was already posted on the previous page. Try reading the whole thread next time.

quote:

War in the Pacific has detail never before achieved in a game of this scale before. .... "If you are in the market for a seriously detailed WWII strategic simulation...

http://www.matrixgames.com/Games/WarInThePacific/main.asp

(in reply to ckammp)
Post #: 73
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/28/2011 10:02:22 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Pax your new avatar is awesome!

I must delightfully agree - a very lovely Lady, Sir.

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to LoBaron)
Post #: 74
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/28/2011 10:07:12 PM   
mjk428

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

I play WiTP:AE to relax and have fun, there for it is a game, period. No matter what anyone else wants to call it, I'm not running a sim to see if carrier Akagi is sunk at Midway 99 out of 100 times, I'm playing simply to have fun. It's a game.

I think if everyone would remember why they are playing instead of trying to define what they are playing we'd all be happier.

Bully for you. Not everybody is you. Some people have higher expectations from a $100 historical wargame.

You'd be satisfied with AE 1.0 or even AE beta. Thank goodness the AE team didn't sit on their laurels.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 75
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/28/2011 10:12:16 PM   
mdiehl

quote:

Read it again.

quote:

The claim to be "about" "War in the Pacific" makes it a Consim. That's why it's not entitled "Bits vs Bites: A Game Involving a Really Complicated Bunch of Parameters that Two Players Can Manipulate in order to Have the Greatest Affect on the Data Table at the End of a Fixed Number of Iterative Interactions."

quote:

"Lying" is it? Nuts! to you. ..l.,

< Message edited by mdiehl -- 8/28/2011 10:16:44 PM >

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 76
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/28/2011 10:38:44 PM   
ckammp

quote:

ORIGINAL: mjk428

quote:

quote:

It was already posted on the previous page. Try reading the whole thread next time.

quote:

War in the Pacific has detail never before achieved in a game of this scale before. .... "If you are in the market for a seriously detailed WWII strategic simulation...

http://www.matrixgames.com/Games/WarInThePacific/main.asp

Your link goes to WitP, not AE. I specifically asked about AE.

Try to focus on the correct game, okay?

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 77
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/28/2011 10:44:10 PM   
mdiehl

quote:

Wow. Talk about your basic semantic harisplitting evasiveness.

You ARE aware that they're the same game save that "AE" is an extensively patched WitP, aren't you? That's why the original is called "War in the Pacific" and the update is called "War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition."

(in reply to ckammp)
Post #: 78
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/28/2011 10:44:27 PM   
mjk428

quote:

quote:

War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

AE was built upon WitP. In fact originally WitP was going to be required - partly because AE was even more detailed than its predecessor.

You're in a deep hole. You might want to stop digging.

< Message edited by mjk428 -- 8/28/2011 10:46:23 PM >

(in reply to ckammp)
Post #: 79
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/28/2011 10:55:41 PM   
ckammp

quote:

quote:

quote:

War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

AE was built upon WitP. In fact originally WitP was going to be required - partly because AE was even more detailed than it's predecessor.

You're in a deep hole. Stop digging.

Perhaps you and mdiehl should actually read the product page for AE. It is described as a game 5 different time, nowhere is it called a Consim. On the same page, WitP is also called a game, not a Consim.

Your only quote about AE is that it is in, in fact a game?

The only ones with their heads in a hole, afraid to admit the truth, are you and mdiehl.

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 80
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/28/2011 11:07:26 PM   
mjk428

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

AE was built upon WitP. In fact originally WitP was going to be required - partly because AE was even more detailed than it's predecessor.

You're in a deep hole. Stop digging.

Perhaps you and mdiehl should actually read the product page for AE. It is described as a game 5 different time, nowhere is it called a Consim. On the same page, WitP is also called a game, not a Consim.

Your only quote about AE is that it is in, in fact a game?

The only ones with their heads in a hole, afraid to admit the truth, are you and mdiehl.

What we have here is a failure to communicate. Lets go back to the basics.

quote:

A wargame is a strategy game that deals with military operations of various types, real or fictional. Wargaming is the hobby dedicated to the play of such games, which can also be called conflict simulations, or consims for short. When used professionally to study warfare, it is generally known as a military exercise or war game. Note that hobby wargamers have traditionally run the two words together, but the military has generally kept them separate; it is not a hard and fast rule, however. Although there may be disagreements as to whether a particular game qualifies as a wargame or not, a general consensus exists that all such games must explore and illuminate or simulate some feature or aspect of human behaviour directly bearing on the conduct of war, even if the game subject itself does not concern organized violent conflict or warfare.[1] The business wargames exists too, but in general they are only role playing games based on market situations.

quote:

Based on the award winning War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games and Matrix Games, the standalone expansion, Gary Grigsby’s War in the Pacific - Admiral’s Edition, adds significant improvements and changes to the original title to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific - Admiral's Edition is the most realistic and engrossing WWII Pacific theatre game available. The immense scale is 40 miles per hex with losses covering individual vehicles, aircraft, guns and squads. Since half the planet Earth is covered by the titanic Pacific struggle, the game is massive in scope, covering thousands of ships tens of thousands of aircraft.

WitP:AE is more than just a game.

< Message edited by mjk428 -- 8/28/2011 11:10:30 PM >

(in reply to ckammp)
Post #: 81
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/29/2011 12:21:23 AM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

Bully for you. Not everybody is you. Some people have higher expectations from a $100 historical wargame.

You'd be satisfied with AE 1.0 or even AE beta. Thank goodness the AE team didn't sit on their laurels.

Well I'm sorry for you then. And here is a suggestion, since it appears you are not enjoying the game then perhaps its best if you find one that you do enjoy. And I play the current ongoing beta of the game, just because I consider it a game doesn't mean I don't want it to be better. The difference is simple: It is a game, I do not expect it to play like a 100% realistic simulation. I don't want a replay of WWII in the Pacific, I can watch news reels and get that.

You see I do expect a lot from a game I spent nearly $100 for. I expect it to be fun and re-playable, not for it to be so much work and micro-management that I feel like I'm back at the office.

It seems some people here want to have to figure every gallon of fuel they use or figure out the logistics of supplying the beans, bullets and gas of a fully equipped unit in the field. Most of us don't. I know for me the generic supply and fuel points work just fine...it simulates it without being monotonous. And I get the feeling if you had to track every round of .45 calibre ammo, some of the grognards would still not be satisfied for one reason or another. Basically some people are just never satisfied.

Most people play this game to enjoy some down time, not to end up with a second accounting job. Speaking of which, arguing over this is not conducive to fun either, so I think this is my last comment on it. So my closing thought is either you enjoy the game or you don't. I'm one of those that does.

Have a nice day.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to mjk428)
Post #: 82
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/29/2011 12:53:58 AM   
mjk428

quote:

quote:

quote:

Well I'm sorry for you then. And here is a suggestion, since it appears you are not enjoying the game then perhaps its best if you find one that you do enjoy. And I play the current ongoing beta of the game, just because I consider it a game doesn't mean I don't want it to be better. The difference is simple: It is a game, I do not expect it to play like a 100% realistic simulation. I don't want a replay of WWII in the Pacific, I can watch news reels and get that.

You see I do expect a lot from a game I spent nearly $100 for. I expect it to be fun and re-playable, not for it to be so much work and micro-management that I feel like I'm back at the office.

It seems some people here want to have to figure every gallon of fuel they use or figure out the logistics of supplying the beans, bullets and gas of a fully equipped unit in the field. Most of us don't. I know for me the generic supply and fuel points work just fine...it simulates it without being monotonous. And I get the feeling if you had to track every round of .45 calibre ammo, some of the grognards would still not be satisfied for one reason or another. Basically some people are just never satisfied.

Most people play this game to enjoy some down time, not to end up with a second accounting job. Speaking of which, arguing over this is not conducive to fun either, so I think this is my last comment on it. So my closing thought is either you enjoy the game or you don't. I'm one of those that does.

Have a nice day.

Who says I'm not enjoying the game? It may have taken years but this game engine is finally worthy of the time I spend on it. I'm happy precisely because my higher expectations are being met. For example: I couldn't "simply have fun" when I put DDs on ASW duty only to have them blasted out of the water by uber subs. Thanks to the devs concern for realism this wargame continues to improve its take on WW2 Pacific naval combat. Kudos to them.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 83
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/29/2011 1:44:52 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Wow. Talk about your basic semantic harisplitting evasiveness.

Yes. Almost as though we-more specifically you-were contributing 50% of the posts on this thread in a quest to argue a 'game' versus a 'comsim'. Hairsplitting AND hijacking, mdiehl. You've made your point-whatever it may be-now can we please let the poor OP flesh out the discussion he originally intended?

@ mdiehl-clearly you feel very passionately about this topic. I know I've heard you argue it before. Many times. Perhaps you can start a thread on the forum and 'bump' it whenever you wished to argue your position on the game vs. sim argument?

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 84
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/29/2011 3:27:04 AM   
oldman45

I can't believe this thread has gone on for 3 pages

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 85
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/29/2011 4:22:04 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldman45

And yet the burning issue of bear markets and Kondratieff long term cycles remain unaddressed. Some people have no prespective on the things which really matter.

Alfred

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 86
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/29/2011 4:38:53 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldman45

And yet the burning issue of bear markets and Kondratieff long term cycles remain unaddressed. Some people have no prespective on the things which really matter.

Alfred

Like spelling?

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 87
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/29/2011 4:40:28 AM   
Alfred

I was merely being prescient.

Alfred

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 88
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/29/2011 5:07:25 AM   
mdiehl

quote:

Hairsplitting AND hijacking, mdiehl.

Incorrect on both counts. The claim was made that one cannot base a model on a limited number of historical data points. I refuted that claim. The claim was subsequently made by someone else that the game isn't intended to model historically plausible outcomes. Others, and I as well, refuted that claim as well. Perhaps you have a short attention span, or merely you lack reading comprehension skills, that you missed entire the posts to which I and others were responding.

quote:

You've made your point-whatever it may be-now can we please let the poor OP flesh out the discussion he originally intended?

You won't hear me mention it again unless someone again claims that it's a game, not a consim, or unless some wingnut says "if you wanted historical plausibility, read a book." If you don't like it when I refute bullshit, don't post bullshit.

quote:

Perhaps you can start a thread on the forum and 'bump' it whenever you wished to argue your position on the game vs. sim argument?

Nawp. I'm doing fine in this thread. Thanks just the same.

< Message edited by mdiehl -- 8/29/2011 5:09:44 AM >

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 89
RE: The art of "averaging out" - 8/29/2011 5:24:07 AM   
LoBaron

Erm...wow. I note, discussion is not over yet...

(in reply to mdiehl)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: The art of "averaging out" Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI