Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Texas is burning...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Texas is burning... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Texas is burning... - 9/13/2011 11:36:07 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus
I came....I saw.....I left. Got a friend down there who's working a job 2 hours north of Houston. it is HOT HOT HOT. This poor NW naturalized Native wilted. plus the cattle chased me.

I do get a kick out of all the "only good chile is a radioactive chile" folks. Takes all kinds.

Chiles are sweet, nutty, and very tasty. What you'll find in every Mexican kitchen is Guajillos and Poblanos (Anchos, Mulatos, and Chilacas). Heat of maybe 3 on the 10 scale, but used like a Yankee would use a potato. There's a magnificent sauce (mole) that uses all them dried chiles, along with real live, honest to gosh, raw chocolate. You rub and bake a chicken in that, or chop a cleaned ancho or guajillo (or two) into a huachinango veracruzana, and you are eating some of the best food on earth.

Yeah, it's deadly in Texas. The MSL for both Lake Ray Hubbard and Lavon is the lowest it's been for decades. And these are reservoirs, with dams and stuff! This is Dallas' water supply! I did a gd dance in the front yard every stinking day for a week to try and get Lee to turn left the teensiest bit, but no joy. The rest of the Gulf Coast can only watch Texas' anguish with horror. We are sending all the support we can muster, and them of us that can't 'do', will open our wallets and donate all we can. Quite a few prayers wafting upwards on ya'lls behalf too.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 61
RE: Texas is burning... - 9/14/2011 5:54:31 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptDave

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Mike, it's funny you mention that. I stood in the spice tolerance line first. Jalapenos are a gateway drug. I regularly eat habaneros, scotch bonnets, even a wild concoction made from pure capsacin that a friend once tried and had to go home from work for the day (even I think that one is pretty hot).

My Southeastern relatives are appalled at our spicy food, while we laugh at the Yanks who actually successfully demanded that Pace genetically engineer a jalapeño without capsacin because even the Mild picante sauce was "too hot."

If my life ever depended on winning one contest there is no question I would pick a pepper eating contest.

Hehe, that is so true.

A word of warning to our east coast/northern friends. Just pass on the chili, you can't handle it.

Around here we like to put Serrano peppers in with our French fries. That's right folks, we fry up French fries with Serrano peppers as part of the mix. And I love to get the peppers out and eat them whole, seeds and all.

The only chili I ever had in Texas was some of the wimpiest stuff ever (Texas Chili Parlor, in Austin, 5-star variety; I even had 3 or 4 bowls and didn't feel any effects). Can't say I've tried eating Serrano peppers straight, but I have been known to pour enough pepper sauce into a bowl of gumbo that the soup was red instead of brown.

For the record, I've never lived farther south than San Mateo, CA, aside from my two years on Guam. Some of us Yankees can handle the hot stuff pretty well, too! (As long as it's food, not the climate, that is.)

Basically I don't even like a bowl of chili unless it makes you break out in a sweat. Now then, the stuff you get in the restaurants isn't what we make at home...I'm very rarely impressed with restaurant chili myself.

Just to give you an idea, for good homemade chili you need onion, garlic, cumin, cayenne, and sometimes jalapeños (depending on how hot you want to make it). Try the stuff from the chili cook-offs, its generally a lot better in flavor and heat (but its not always hot hot either).

As far as the hot climate...personally I can take it but would be much happier with temps in the 80s.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to CaptDave)
Post #: 62
RE: Texas is burning... - 9/14/2011 5:58:05 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

quote:

I came....I saw.....I left. Got a friend down there who's working a job 2 hours north of Houston. it is HOT HOT HOT. This poor NW naturalized Native wilted. plus the cattle chased me.

I do get a kick out of all the "only good chile is a radioactive chile" folks. Takes all kinds.

Chiles are sweet, nutty, and very tasty. What you'll find in every Mexican kitchen is Guajillos and Poblanos (Anchos, Mulatos, and Chilacas). Heat of maybe 3 on the 10 scale, but used like a Yankee would use a potato. There's a magnificent sauce (mole) that uses all them dried chiles, along with real live, honest to gosh, raw chocolate. You rub and bake a chicken in that, or chop a cleaned ancho or guajillo (or two) into a huachinango veracruzana, and you are eating some of the best food on earth.

Yeah, it's deadly in Texas. The MSL for both Lake Ray Hubbard and Lavon is the lowest it's been for decades. And these are reservoirs, with dams and stuff! This is Dallas' water supply! I did a gd dance in the front yard every stinking day for a week to try and get Lee to turn left the teensiest bit, but no joy. The rest of the Gulf Coast can only watch Texas' anguish with horror. We are sending all the support we can muster, and them of us that can't 'do', will open our wallets and donate all we can. Quite a few prayers wafting upwards on ya'lls behalf too.

There is also a misconception out there that all Mexican and Tex-Mex food is greasy. Quite to the contrary, well made Mexican and Tex-Mex is not greasy...the greasy stuff isn't that good. Try a Chile Relano if you haven't already...good stuff and like you said, not hot at all. Now I'm hungry for some good stuff again.

I'd love to see some rain, they say we've got a 20-30% chance over the next three days where I am at. Pray we get it guys.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 63
RE: Texas is burning... - 9/14/2011 7:45:47 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

quote:

Good chili doesn't have to blow steam out of your ears and make your eyeballs explode. :) The best chili is in Seattle!

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 64
RE: Texas is burning... - 9/14/2011 7:55:32 PM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

quote:

Good chili doesn't have to blow steam out of your ears and make your eyeballs explode. :) The best chili is in Seattle!

Um, no. Yes I have been to Seattle and have eaten chili there. Now the salmon I had in Seattle was the best ever, I've had nothing here at home that can compare.

It's a regional thing. Really comes down to what you are used to. Plus how it is made.

And good chili is not greasy either.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 65
RE: Texas is burning... - 9/14/2011 7:59:32 PM   
Nikademus

quote:

Um, no. Yes I have been to Seattle and have eaten chili there. Now the salmon I had in Seattle was the best ever, I've had nothing here at home that can compare.

It's a regional thing. Really comes down to what you are used to. Plus how it is made.

And good chili is not greasy either.

you need to try the Chili at the College Inn Pub. My friend from NYC who's a big BBQ and chili Fan can't get enough of it. We also have one of the best BBQ places as well. YUMMERS!

and we have Salmon....and coffee and BEER! oh my! (think i'll go get some)

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 66
RE: Texas is burning... - 9/14/2011 8:14:17 PM   
pompack

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptDave

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Mike, it's funny you mention that. I stood in the spice tolerance line first. Jalapenos are a gateway drug. I regularly eat habaneros, scotch bonnets, even a wild concoction made from pure capsacin that a friend once tried and had to go home from work for the day (even I think that one is pretty hot).

My Southeastern relatives are appalled at our spicy food, while we laugh at the Yanks who actually successfully demanded that Pace genetically engineer a jalapeño without capsacin because even the Mild picante sauce was "too hot."

If my life ever depended on winning one contest there is no question I would pick a pepper eating contest.

Hehe, that is so true.

A word of warning to our east coast/northern friends. Just pass on the chili, you can't handle it.

Around here we like to put Serrano peppers in with our French fries. That's right folks, we fry up French fries with Serrano peppers as part of the mix. And I love to get the peppers out and eat them whole, seeds and all.

The only chili I ever had in Texas was some of the wimpiest stuff ever (Texas Chili Parlor, in Austin, 5-star variety; I even had 3 or 4 bowls and didn't feel any effects). Can't say I've tried eating Serrano peppers straight, but I have been known to pour enough pepper sauce into a bowl of gumbo that the soup was red instead of brown.

For the record, I've never lived farther south than San Mateo, CA, aside from my two years on Guam. Some of us Yankees can handle the hot stuff pretty well, too! (As long as it's food, not the climate, that is.)

Basically I don't even like a bowl of chili unless it makes you break out in a sweat. Now then, the stuff you get in the restaurants isn't what we make at home...I'm very rarely impressed with restaurant chili myself.

Just to give you an idea, for good homemade chili you need onion, garlic, cumin, cayenne, and sometimes jalapeños (depending on how hot you want to make it). Try the stuff from the chili cook-offs, its generally a lot better in flavor and heat (but its not always hot hot either).

As far as the hot climate...personally I can take it but would be much happier with temps in the 80s.

And I really don't count it as a chilli sweat unless it's your hair that is sweating.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 67
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Texas is burning... Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI