Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 9/8/2011 3:29:58 AM   
SeanD

More fixes, scenario improvements, and changes for this instant wargaming classic

Matrix Games, Slitherine (www.slitherine.com), and 2by3 Games (www.2by3games.com) are proud to release a comprehensive 1.04.40 update for their acclaimed WWII strategy mega game, Gary Grigsby’s War in the East. The update includes a handful of important bug fixes, along with a number of OOB, device, and AC file changes, and dozens of scenario tweaks and improvements.

David Heath, Director of Operations at Matrix Games, said “I love to give due praise to our games but in this case the critics say it better than I could! Recently, War in the East won two CSR Awards in addition to achieving high praise from respected critics like Quarter to Three that stated War in the East was ‘Almost certainly the most important wargame to come out in the past ten years.’”

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is the spiritual heir to the great Eastern Front board and computer wargames of the past; a turn-based World War II strategy game down to the division and brigade level, stretching across the entire Eastern Front at a 10 mile per hex scale. Gamers can engage in massive, dramatic campaigns, including intense battles involving thousands of units with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results. As with all the award-winning titles made by the 2by3 Games team, factors such as supply, fatigue, experience, morale and the skill of your divisional, corps and army leaders all play an important part in determining the results at the front line. Gary Grigsby’s War in the East comes with 4 massive campaigns as well as many smaller scenarios all with different strategic and operational challenges.

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East represents a truly epic representation of the Second World War on the Eastern Front and is unparalleled in its scale, detail, and ambition!

Get the update here. The update is comprehensive and will bring all versions of War in the East to 1.04.40. Get more information on Gary Grigsby’s War in the East from its official product page.

< Message edited by SeanD -- 9/8/2011 3:30:11 AM >

Sean Drummy

Marketing and Press Relations Manager
Post #: 1
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 9/8/2011 5:47:25 AM   
Baelfiin

There does not appear to be an updated list of changes for 1.04.4 as part of the download, can anyone post the details of the changes?

(in reply to SeanD)
Post #: 2
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 9/8/2011 6:00:41 AM   
Schmart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baelfiin

There does not appear to be an updated list of changes for 1.04.4 as part of the download, can anyone post the details of the changes?

I would also like to see a list. Perhaps in future, the powers that be could post (in the forums) a list of the details with each update announcment?

I know Joel and others are really good about posting update lists even for updates that are in progress, but they usually end up burried in some other thread when a posters asks for a list. Perhaps an official posting with the update announcement in this forum section would be nice?

This is not meant to be a complaint at all. Just a suggestion to make the update announcement and list of details an 'official' posting together.

< Message edited by Schmart -- 9/8/2011 6:01:49 AM >

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 3
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 9/8/2011 6:23:51 AM   
Joel Billings

Here's everything since 1.04.36 (the last official patch).

V1.04.40 – September 5, 2011

• Bug Fixes

1) Fixed a bug that could corrupt scenario data.

V1.04.39 – August 12, 2011

• Bug Fixes

1) Fixed a bug where "Virtual" division units in Rifle or Cavalry Corps can get duplicated numbers when promoted to Guards.
2) Fixed a bug where some Soviet leader can't get assigned to Army HQ due to low ratings.
3) Improved the handling of server error messages during Multiplayer games.
4) Fixed a bug that allowed a player to exploit the undo key when moving soviet factories.
5) Fixed a bug that did not allow HQ build up to take place when the HQ was exactly 20MP from the railhead.
6) When building new Soviet units in 1944-45, all available unit types do not fit into "Pick Unit Type" screen. Fixed this by adding a scroll list.
7) Fixed an AI crash bug in limited map scenarios.
8) Eliminated some poorly executed Axis AI planned withdrawals in 1943.

• Data and Scenario Changes

OB, Device and AC File Changes
1) In Device file added Device 622 – 210mm M35 Howitzer;
2) In Ground Element file added Element 208 – 210mm Howitzer; Element 211 – CV33 Flame Tank; Element 212 – L6/40 Flame Tank;
3) In TOE(OB) File added OB 483 – 41 Ital. Machine Gun Battalion; OB 484 – 41b Ital. Heavy Howitzer Battalion (renamed 41 Ital. Heavy Howitzer Battalion to 41a); OB 485 – 41 Ital. Flame Tank Company.
4) New TOEs with Panthers fit in.
5) Changed the Hungarian Hetzer (0274) from a tank destroyer to an assault gun in the hope that the Hungarians will actually use it. Fixed missing Symbols for the Hungarian Hetzer, the Slovakian Marder III (0336), and the Soviet 107mm mortar (0729).
6) Removed the upgrade path of the MG34 to the MG42 in the hope that this change might relieve somewhat the machine gun usage problem.
7) Updated Max imported values for some missing axis minor aircraft. Note: I now remember that these values were probably never entered since they were added later when I was working on the 1944 Campaign. Some of the Rumanian aircraft figures did not include German aircraft on loan so some of these figures have been bumped up. Some of the Hungarian numbers were adjusted as well.
8) Fixed a couple of missing links between the imported aircraft and its original model

Scenario Changes
1) Rebuilt some Rumanian airbases so they use Rumanian AA guns instead of German ones
2) Rebuilt Rumanian MG Battalions so that they have Rumanian 81mm Mortars instead of German ones.
3) Rebuilt Finnish Army HQs to fix wrong nationality in their support squads.
4) Removed Italian Autotransportable Corps as there is no evidence to show it existed in the Balkans in the summer of 1941. 133rd Littorio Armored Division reassigned to 2nd Italian Army.
5) 133rd Italian Littorio Armored Division now withdraws from the Balkans on 15 November 1941 to prepare for its commitment to North Africa.
6) Removed Italian 26th 'Assietta' Infantry Division as it withdraws in July 1941 to Sicily.
7) Removed Italian 20th 'Friuli' Infantry Division as the division never occupied Yugoslavia and was used to prepare for the assault on Malta.
8) Removed Italian 24th 'Pinerolo' Infantry Division as the division was sent to garrison Larissa, Greece in May 1941.
9) Italian 2nd 'Ferro' Celere Division set to withdraw on 15 May 1942 as it is reduced to a cadre only as its units are sent to North Africa.
10) Removed Italian 131st 'Centauro' Armored Division as this division was reduced to regimental strength by June 1941. Its remaining elements were sent piecemeal to North Africa.
11) Revised Italian Expeditionary Corps (CSIR).
a. Added CIV Italian MG Battalion (using new Italian OB)
b. Added II Italian Anti-Tank Battalion
c. Added Italian 65th CCNN Legion
d. Renamed 'V Ital. Construction Battalion' to 'IV Ital. Construction Battalion'
e. Renamed 'CSIR Ital. Assault Engineer Battalion' to 'XV Ital. Assault Engineer Battalion'
f. Renamed I-III/CSIR Ital. Medium Howitzer Battalions to the LX-LXII Ital. Medium Howitzer Battalion
g. Removed IV/CSIR Heavy Howitzer Battalion
h. Renamed 43rd and 45th Ital. AA Batteries to 95th and 97th Ital. AA Batteries.
i. Added IV and XIX Ital. AA Gun Battalions
j. Motorized the MG, AT, AA, and Art Battalions
12) M.C.A. Ital. Ski Battalion now arrives as a reinforcement for the Expeditionary Ital. Corps on 19 Feb 1942
13) 8th Italian Army (ARMIR) Changes
a. Arrives under Army Group South instead of Ital. Southeast Army Group
b. Added Croatian Legion (uses CCNN Legion OB)
c. Added CIX Ital. Machine Gun Battalion
d. Motorized the artillery and Anti-Air assets
e. 'LXXII Ital. Heavy Howitzer Battalion' renamed to 'L Ital. Heavy Howitzer Battalion'
f. '21st Ital. Heavy Howitzer Battalion' renamed to 'XXXII Ital. Heavy Howitzer Battalion'
g. '22nd Ital. Heavy Howitzer Battalion' renamed to 'LXXIII Ital. Heavy Howitzer Battalion' (uses new Italian OB)
h. Removed 61st Italian Heavy Howitzer Battalion
i. Added XXXVII Ital. AA Gun Battalion
j. Added I-III/3rd Ital. Light Howitzer Battalions
14) II Italian Corps Changes
a. Added II Italian Machine Gun Battalion
b. Added CII Ital. Machine Gun Battalion
c. Added XXXII Ital. Anti-Tank Battalion
d. Renamed 'II Ital. Construction Battalion' to 'XV Ital. Construction Battalion'
e. Added 4th and 5th Italian Flamethrower Tank Companies (uses new Italian OB)
f. Renamed the I-IV/2nd Ital. Medium Howitzer Battalions to the III Medium Howitzer, XXIII Medium Howitzer, CIII Heavy Howitzer, and CXXIII Battalions. Motorized these units.
g. Renamed the 35th and 37th Ital. AA Batteries to the 52nd and 54th Ital. AA Batteries
15) XXXV Italian Corps Changes
a. Renamed 'IV/CSIR Ital. Heavy Howitzer Battalion' to 'CXXIV Ital. Heavy Howitzer Battalion' to arrive on 18 June 1942.
b. Revised 1942 scenarios to incorporate the CSIR changes in 1941
16) Alpini Italian Corps Changes
a. Motorized the four howitzer battalions and two AA Light Batteries
17) Added 3rd VVS OAG Airbase at Sevastopol with 33 aircraft
18) Raised German pilot quality to 85 in 1942
19) 1942 Soviet Air Force is adjusted. A few PVO Fighter Divisions have been pulled from the Air Armies and placed in regional air commands where they belong. Number and types of aircraft have been adjusted as follows: VVS (Air Force) strength has been cut by about 1,200 aircraft. RGVK Reserves and PVO aircraft have increased to result in a net decrease in Soviet air strength of 944 aircraft. Source of new VVS strength can be found at http://ilpilot.narod.ru/vvs_tsifra/gl_3/3.106.html
20) A handful of leader changes
21) Corrected the initial factory size for the Panther D in the 1943 Scenarios.
22) Almost all Axis minor squadrons now use the 'Staffel' organization. Hungarian Air Groups now use the "Squadron" organization instead of "Group". Finland uses a variety of air organizations.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to SeanD)
Post #: 4
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 9/8/2011 6:31:44 AM   
tigercub

so no change to the 1 to 1 rule yet...

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 5
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 9/8/2011 6:48:31 AM   
KenchiSulla

This is 1.04.40, the major changes are coming with 1.05. They are probably still testing it.

Thanks for the intermediate patch 2by3/matrix!

Cheers

AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor

(in reply to tigercub)
Post #: 6
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 9/8/2011 10:01:10 AM   
cherryfunk

Includes an updated manual, most excellent.

Any idea when 1.05 is coming out?  I think more than a few of us are waiting on it before starting a new campaign.

< Message edited by cherryfunk -- 9/8/2011 10:02:18 AM >

(in reply to KenchiSulla)
Post #: 7
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 9/8/2011 10:51:05 AM   
tigercub

+1 but soon is all they know for now.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life

(in reply to cherryfunk)
Post #: 8
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 9/8/2011 12:17:35 PM   
Baelfiin

Just poking some fun

quote:

ORIGINAL: SeanD

More fixes, scenario improvements, and changes for this instant wargaming classic

Matrix Games, Slitherine (www.slitherine.com), and 2by3 Games (www.2by3games.com) are proud to release a comprehensive 1.04.40 update for their acclaimed WWII strategy mega game, Gary Grigsby’s War in the East. The update includes a handful of important bug fixes, along with a number of OOB, device, and AC file changes, and dozens of scenario tweaks and improvements.

Marketing story above 8)

and reality below .....

• Bug Fixes

As always, much love for the hardwork you guys do on my favorite game!!

(in reply to SeanD)
Post #: 9
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 9/8/2011 2:12:47 PM   
Empire101

Thanks again Joel for the teams hard work with the latest patch.

Can we patch the game and use current save games with that patch or is it a restart?

Many thanks.

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

Post #: 10
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 9/8/2011 4:38:32 PM   
abulbulian

Empire,

If you were using v1.04.39 before then there are no changes for your game in v1.04.4.  It's just a version # for a release to the public.  The only change was a bug fix:

- Fixed a bug that could corrupt scenario data.

The changes that will actually effect current games will be when v1.05 finally comes out. Which will not require a restart.  Kudos to the dev team in respect to avoiding restarts when patches come out.  There will even be an algorithm in v.105 for current games patched to determine a retro pool of Hiwis depending on turn and how much Soviet manpower centers are under Axis control.  Good stuff.

< Message edited by abulbulian -- 9/8/2011 4:40:11 PM >

(in reply to Empire101)
Post #: 11
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 9/8/2011 6:43:29 PM   
Jakerson

I am playing with v1.04.36 do I need to restart my campaings if I update to v1.04.40?

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 12
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 9/8/2011 6:45:14 PM   
Empire101

quote:

ORIGINAL: abulbulian

Empire,

If you were using v1.04.39 before then there are no changes for your game in v1.04.4.  It's just a version # for a release to the public.  The only change was a bug fix:

- Fixed a bug that could corrupt scenario data.

The changes that will actually effect current games will be when v1.05 finally comes out. Which will not require a restart.  Kudos to the dev team in respect to avoiding restarts when patches come out.  There will even be an algorithm in v.105 for current games patched to determine a retro pool of Hiwis depending on turn and how much Soviet manpower centers are under Axis control.  Good stuff.

I am using ver 1.04.36.....so all patches do not require a restart then?

Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
- Michael Burleigh

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 13
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 9/8/2011 8:15:15 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

Marketing story above 8)

and reality below .....

• Bug Fixes

You missed the 1.04.39 changes. Those are new since the last official update and were included in the description in the press release. Please see Joel's post above.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 14
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 9/8/2011 8:16:34 PM   
Erik Rutins

No restart required. The only thing the restart will get you is the data changes. At this point, I'd recommend starting new games with 1.04.40 and waiting until 1.05 goes official to restart existing games.

1.05 should go to public beta either later today or tomorrow, but it's an early beta at this point.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 15
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 9/8/2011 9:13:12 PM   
abulbulian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

quote:

Marketing story above 8)

and reality below .....

• Bug Fixes

You missed the 1.04.39 changes. Those are new since the last official update and were included in the description in the press release. Please see Joel's post above.

Regards,

- Erik

Yes, what I meant was that people that are already using v1.04.39 going to 1.04.40 will not effect their current game at all. Since there was just one bug fix related to a possible data corruption (start data I assume).

Post #: 16
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 9/8/2011 9:26:04 PM   
abulbulian

Good news about 1.05 out soon to beta, been looking forward to it.

(in reply to abulbulian)
Post #: 17
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 9/9/2011 5:47:00 AM   
Baelfiin

Actually I didnt miss any of the 1.04.39 changes, they have been out for a month. So much hype for one line of change, an email, front page news on the main matrix page, left me feeling underwhelmed.

However, the public beta for 1.05 that has been released might be more exictement than I can handle

Post #: 18
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 9/30/2011 12:29:52 PM   
SledgeFox

When I start the update.exe, it tells me my version 1.04.36 is up to date.  (German boxed version) Any ideas what I did wrong?

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 19
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 9/30/2011 3:18:36 PM   
Blubel

Nothing. Your german version is up to date. The german publisher is releasing updates more slowly. You could try to update with the version released here. This might however introduce some English into your game. (If it works it would be great if you post about it, as I consider buying the german version, too.)

(in reply to SledgeFox)
Post #: 20
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 9/30/2011 6:01:24 PM   
SledgeFox

Hi Blubel!

I tried GG-WarInTheEast-Update-v10440.exe but when I install it, I get asked for the serial number (again after I entered it at first install) and then I get "Invalid serial number" and the installer aborts.

(in reply to Blubel)
Post #: 21
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 9/30/2011 7:49:46 PM   
pompack

Yes, I saw in another thread that there are problems trying to update the German version with the English patches.

(in reply to SledgeFox)
Post #: 22
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 1/28/2012 9:19:48 AM   
glvaca

I can't seem to find the link with the changes made earlier to the fort buidling rules among others.
Does anyone still have this link?
Thanks!

(in reply to pompack)
Post #: 23
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 1/28/2012 7:09:47 PM   
Joel Billings

Not sure what link you are looking for. Here are the major fort building changes made in 1.05.18 in case that's what you are looking for (you can look it up in the latest readme/whatsnew file):

20) Changes to Fortification Rules
a. Requirement to build up to Fort Level 5 - Only will be built in port hexes that have a fort unit. Once built, the fort unit is not needed to keep the level 4 fort. Not possible in a swamp hex.
b. Requirement to build up to Fort Level 4 - Must have a fort unit in the hex. Once built, the fort unit is not needed to keep the level 4 fort. Not possible in swamp hex.
c. Requirement to build up to Fort Level 3 - Must be adjacent to an enemy hex, be an urban or city hex, or be in or adjacent to a fort unit. Once the level 3 is reached, the condition does not have to continue to be met to keep the level 3 fort.
d. Fort levels that have reached their maximum fort level for the hex may continue to build up to 10% towards the next fort level.
e. Building forts in mud now uses a .25 modifier (instead of .33).
f. Level 4 and 5 forts do not decay.
g. There is no fort decay on turn 1 of any scenario.
h. Doubled the rate of fort decay.
i. Increased decay rate of low level forts, based on the weather.
Extra decay percentage:
Fort Weather
Level clear snow mud/blizzard
0 20 40 80
1 12 24 48
2 4 8 16
g. Added supply cost for fort construction as follows:
fort 0->1 1 tons per fort point (no cost for isolated units, construction rate is halved)
fort 1->2 2 tons per fort point (no cost for isolated units, construction rate is halved)
fort 2->3 20 tons per fort points
fort 3->4 200 tons per fort points
fort 4->5 2000 tons per fort points
*note each fort point represents 2% toward the next fort level

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 24
RE: Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated - 1/29/2012 2:02:12 AM   
glvaca

That's it, thanks Joel!

Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Gary Grigsby’s War in the East Is Updated Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI