Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Clash of Steel: 1941-1945: Q-Ball vs Bletchley_Geek

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Clash of Steel: 1941-1945: Q-Ball vs Bletchley_Geek Page: <<   < prev  11 12 13 14 [15]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Clash of Steel: 1941-1945: Q-Ball vs Bletchley_Geek - 1/4/2012 9:32:33 PM   
Flaviusx

BG, I think you're doing pretty good. You just need to ride out the summer and wait until things bottom out in Sept and plan for the future. It seems to me you've mostly limited the damage the big panzer wrecking ball can do.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 421
RE: Clash of Steel: 1941-1945: Q-Ball vs Bletchley_Geek - 1/4/2012 9:49:06 PM   
Baelfiin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

BG, I think you're doing pretty good. You just need to ride out the summer and wait until things bottom out in Sept and plan for the future. It seems to me you've mostly limited the damage the big panzer wrecking ball can do.

/agree

Protect your corps if you can

"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 422
RE: Clash of Steel: 1941-1945: Q-Ball vs Bletchley_Geek - 1/4/2012 10:32:20 PM   
M60A3TTS

OOB please?  Also, how many rifle divisions have you lost to date?

Post #: 423
RE: Clash of Steel: 1941-1945: Q-Ball vs Bletchley_Geek - 1/10/2012 8:53:13 AM   
BletchleyGeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

OOB please?  Also, how many rifle divisions have you lost to date?

Argh, didn't check the thread because I'm not getting notified of updates. Will get these for you next turn M60.

@others: It looks under control, but sincerely, I'm VERY wary of both Q-Ball and his panzers!

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 424
RE: Clash of Steel: 1941-1945: Q-Ball vs Bletchley_Geek - 1/10/2012 8:57:07 AM   
BletchleyGeek

Turn 57 - 16th July 1942

Q-Ball has done something unexpected: he's stopped the offensive. Several reasons might be possible, but certainly it wasn't because of my counterattacks. My best guess is that he's regrouping and preparing the assault on Moscow, from the looks of the massive concentration of German infantry just west of Rzhev.

Operational Situation Report

Q-Ball has a lot of infantry east of Rzhev, nearly the equivalent of two field armies

or in words, six infantry ArmeeKorps. Air recon hasn't revealed any German motorized units in the area, although they could well move into position to strike in one or two turns. It's likely that all this infantry is meant to pin – and even breakthrough they still pack some serious punch – significant forces in this sector, while his motorized formations grind to dust the defense lines I've laid along the Tula – Moscow axis. If his infantry turns out to be very successful, I don't think he'll have much of a problem directing a PanzerArmee to exploit any breakthroughs.

The massive bulge that Q-Ball forces have forced into my frontlines remains more or less the same

though I'm seeing signs that he wants to disengage his motorized units from the Voronezh – Lipetsk – Ryazan axis, to use them to the north. I see my hand being forced here: I need to keep here the pressure to startle him enough to leave some motorized reserves watching this sector.

Q-Ball is clearly trying to disengage from the Caucasus, he's left here just one PanzerKorps

last turn attacks here turned out to be a quite a mixed bag, with more failure than success. Perhaps this has made him to feel too comfortable south of the Don. I'll try to make clear that he's not welcomed to stay here.

Logistics & Organization

It's remarkable, but the strength levels of the Red Army remain stable even in the face of dwindling manpower and massive casualties. The number of Rifle Divisions in the Red Army OOB has gone down by a net amount of 14. If I include the brigades and corps lost, this number raises to 23 divisions. The first phase of Q-Ball offensive has been a huge victory by any measure.

Operations

Not much worth commenting on detail. I've kept the pressure on the Caucasus – though I just managed to launch a couple attacks there due to high fatigue levels and low MP's – and concentrated Transcaucasus Front for the offensive. I'm trying to lure Q-Ball into thinking that I'm actually pretending to charge frontally at his positions there

but my real intention is to slide Northern Caucasus Front to the west, and insert more Transcaucasus forces in the line. I sort of expect that Q-Ball retires behind the Don rather than holding and welcoming the opportunity to do battle. If he holds, I attack and I'll cause some damage he may or may not afford.

I escalate in the Valyuki-Starobelsk sector and I decide to initiate a long-term offensive operation with the two cities as the objective

6th Army – which I brought here last turn – has established contact with the Axis troops and will attack next turn. I've also kept pressing towards Starobelsk and brought Southern Front motorized reserve – this Front isn't going to need those for the time being – in order to keep banging at these Axis allies. Depending on what Q-Ball does next turn, I will bring 4th Shock Army here as well, which I took to the Tambov region when Voronezh Front collapsed.

The 1942 Battle for Moscow is joined for as much as I concerned. I'm covering the river lines and making sure Q-Ball can't get too far behind my front

I'm so concentrated here that my deployment is starting to degenerate into a meat carpet, something which is bad. As I accumulate more AP's I'll eventually sort out my command & control situation and adopt a more flexible deployment supported on Reserve mechanics.

(in reply to BletchleyGeek)
Post #: 425
RE: Clash of Steel: 1941-1945: Q-Ball vs Bletchley_Geek - 1/10/2012 10:16:35 AM   
karonagames

quote:

Q-Ball has done something unexpected: he's stopped the offensive.

Very tempted to say "I told you so" (see post 420) :).

Axis players don't want the Soviets to know how much real steam there is in the 1942 offensive, but it is much, much, less than was available in 1941. Still enough to give the Soviets a good scare though!

< Message edited by BigAnorak -- 1/10/2012 10:19:46 AM >

Post #: 426
RE: Clash of Steel: 1941-1945: Q-Ball vs Bletchley_Geek - 1/10/2012 10:27:08 AM   
BletchleyGeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigAnorak
Very tempted to say "I told you so" (see post 420) :).

You well might do so, BigA :-)

quote:

Axis players don't want the Soviets to know how much real steam there is in the 1942 offensive, but it is much, much, less than was available in 1941. Still enough to give the Soviets a good scare though!

Do you mean that it's "all bluff"? If so, it's a pretty good "bluff", since one sloppy turn moving aroud reserves predicting Axis operations well could mean that Moscow is lost and the Red Army gets mauled

Post #: 427
RE: Clash of Steel: 1941-1945: Q-Ball vs Bletchley_Geek - 1/10/2012 10:42:40 AM   
Peltonx

Very good job controling him so far BG.

Your loses seem low.

The German player needs to score atleast 100 pocketed units before October 1942 and from your info hes far below that.

GJ, so far.

Pelton

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

Post #: 428
RE: Clash of Steel: 1941-1945: Q-Ball vs Bletchley_Geek - 1/10/2012 10:43:05 AM   
karonagames

quote:

Do you mean that it's "all bluff"?

More "swan-like" - calm and serene on the surface, but feet going like the clappers underneath! I found the 1942 offensive to be very hard work, but I did indeed use a lot of bluffing and mis-direction. Lucky for me it paid off as I broke the soviet (player's) morale after 2 panzer armies turned up where he did not have the reserves to deal with them on turn 59, but as noted before you are managing your reserves really well - just stay on your guard - keep those recon birds in the air.

Post #: 429
RE: Clash of Steel: 1941-1945: Q-Ball vs Bletchley_Geek - 1/10/2012 10:49:17 AM   
BletchleyGeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton
Your loses seem low.

The figure above hasn't counted the units that Q-Ball has isolated in the picture and lacks the divisions I've been putting on-line on a continuous manner for the last 6 or 7 turns (about 3, next turn 5). So I'd say he's about halfway those 100 you mention.

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 430
RE: Clash of Steel: 1941-1945: Q-Ball vs Bletchley_Geek - 1/10/2012 10:51:21 AM   
BletchleyGeek

quote:

as noted before you are managing your reserves really well - just stay on your guard - keep those recon birds in the air.

One thing I haven't mentioned because I haven't really figured out the cause, is that my Air Recon is giving me much more information than it did before. I think that might be because his Luftwaffe airfield still need to catch up with the frontline and also because I've destroyed so far over 200 Luftwaffe fighters. His air cover might well be a bit too thin, I can't say.

Post #: 431
RE: Clash of Steel: 1941-1945: Q-Ball vs Bletchley_Geek - 1/10/2012 12:14:40 PM   
Flaviusx

I'm not seeing many tank corps. Build more. You've got the July TOE now for them. I'm seeing plenty of spots where you can feed them easy wins and discomfit the Axis.

People are underbuilding them, imo. (And overbuilding rifle corps, imo. You really shouldn't be spending much on these until 1943.) And yet they are single best thing you can do to raise the mobility of the Red Army in 42. If you've got two dozen tank corps in mid summer 42, you're going to find a spot somewhere on the map to use them, while at the same time having enough of them to form a nice mobile reserve to complicate the movements of the big panzer wrecking ball.

WitE Alpha Tester

Post #: 432
RE: Clash of Steel: 1941-1945: Q-Ball vs Bletchley_Geek - 1/10/2012 12:39:40 PM   
BletchleyGeek

quote:

I'm not seeing many tank corps. Build more. You've got the July TOE now for them. I'm seeing plenty of spots where you can feed them easy wins and discomfit the Axis.

People are underbuilding them, imo. (And overbuilding rifle corps, imo. You really shouldn't be spending much on these until 1943.) And yet they are single best thing you can do to raise the mobility of the Red Army in 42. If you've got two dozen tank corps in mid summer 42, you're going to find a spot somewhere on the map to use them, while at the same time having enough of them to form a nice mobile reserve to complicate the movements of the big panzer wrecking ball.

The main reason for not embarking into mass mechanization as you suggest is the vehicle pool status. I'm currently going on deficit, I'm covering just 80% of the needed vehicles for optimal supply efficiency. So I preferred limit myself to 12 Tank Corps and use them sparingly to gather experience and victories to achieve Guards status. I haven't refrained from using them: I'm just making sure they're always well supported (by Motorized Brigades, Cavalry Corps or Rifle Divisions) to maximize their chances of being "winners". And I'm also trying to commit them also in pairs or threesomes, to have at least the illusion of some armored mass.

The plan is indeed to build more as things stabilize - and I get AP's. Perhaps I'm overstating the importance of a healthy supply network, but my last 1942 Soviet game ended abruptly as I made about 30 Tank Corps, started to lose them and my vehicle pool dried up.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 433
RE: Clash of Steel: 1941-1945: Q-Ball vs Bletchley_Geek - 1/10/2012 12:41:07 PM   
BletchleyGeek

And I agree with the Rifle Corps. I made those two Guards Rifle Corps to throw something nasty to chew to the Panzer spearheads. Too bad they have been chewed and eventually digested :(

Post #: 434
RE: Clash of Steel: 1941-1945: Q-Ball vs Bletchley_Geek - 1/10/2012 2:54:03 PM   
Baelfiin

quote:

I think its a little over aggressive to build tank corps too much that early, but thats just me.

"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 435
RE: Clash of Steel: 1941-1945: Q-Ball vs Bletchley_Geek - 1/23/2012 10:01:25 AM   
janh

Nerve wrecking silence... ;)  Any update on the 42 summer campaign?  Could you post some shots of your vehicle and aircraft pools btw.?  How is your truck pool developing?

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 436
RE: Clash of Steel: 1941-1945: Q-Ball vs Bletchley_Geek - 1/23/2012 10:05:45 AM   
BletchleyGeek

quote:

ORIGINAL: janh

Nerve wrecking silence... ;)  Any update on the 42 summer campaign?  Could you post some shots of your vehicle and aircraft pools btw.?  How is your truck pool developing?

Very busy for the past weeks janh. I will get back to you guys (and Q-Ball) very soon. I've still to check the last turn he sent to me

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 437
RE: Clash of Steel: 1941-1945: Q-Ball vs Bletchley_Geek - 1/23/2012 10:07:14 AM   
BletchleyGeek

What I can say is that he's reached the Oka and what I gather from the e-mails we're exchanging he's felt obligued to make yet another operational stop. I doubt that this stop has been due to my operations on the flank of his drive on to Moscow. I think more it's because internal Axis issues I'd love to know about.

Post #: 438
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 13 14 [15]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Clash of Steel: 1941-1945: Q-Ball vs Bletchley_Geek Page: <<   < prev  11 12 13 14 [15]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI