Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Geek (Sov). 1.05 beta

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Geek (Sov). 1.05 beta Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/14/2011 6:35:49 PM   
Klydon

I think I agree with putting them in reserve. You have 3 issues to deal with in terms of air frames, moral and experience. Putting them in reserve at least will get the moral recovered to a point and cut down on airframe wastage by avoiding the blizzard in Russia. I would certainly leave them out through December and monitor the progress. I would be tempted to leave them out in Feb as well, but would look to start bringing the better units back in March for possible use/help during snow, etc.

The other thing to look at as well is what do you do with some of your airbases during blizzard? I would look to stash them someplace out of the weather if you can swing it to cut down on their attrition.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 121
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/14/2011 8:23:27 PM   
Q-Ball

Many of my airbases are now empty. For the moment, they are on "Fort Maintenence" duties; keeping forts from degrading. But I will stash them back to Poland during the Snow. No reason to keep ground crews outside when there are no planes!

I will keep my Fighters active, though.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 122
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/14/2011 8:34:30 PM   
Ketza

I found the Luftwaffe to be very helpful during the Soviet winter offensive. There were many battles it turned the tide in my favor and I think my opponent was surprised I was using it as the latest trend was to send it to the reserve. It also showed up during some very important counterattacks which helped save an army that was being cutoff.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 123
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/15/2011 3:18:44 AM   
Q-Ball

Ketza, I would like to use the Luftwaffe, and I have found it handy in Blizzard. But I have to weigh that against the need to get it up to shape for the Summer. It's cooked. They need to sit for a few weeks and re-gain strength.

T19 and T20 quick update:

B-G attacked my units near Voroshilovgrad, that were in the RED. He managed to push one back, and I retreated another hex to get closer to supplies. Between the retreats and new RR builds, I should be OK next turn. Hate having units in the RED, though.

Other than that, I am digging furiously, trying to get as many forts built as possible before Winter. I want at least 2 rows, maybe 3 deep. I am short in a couple places, but just don't have the units to really close the gap.

I am building a strategic reserve of Infantry (now 4 divisions, not including the high-morale ones I REALLY want to save for the winter). The Finns are coming out to play, but I am leaving a few behind to keep morale up.

That's it for this update. The RED ARMY is up to 4.279 mil this turn; at that rate, they should start the winter at around 4.6 mil. Not huge, but good enough to cause serious trouble.

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 124
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/15/2011 4:24:30 AM   
stone10

How many factories did you destroy by the end of summer?

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 125
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/16/2011 2:30:14 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: stone10

50 Armament and 22 Vehicle; that's about 13.5% of Armament production. I also destroyed some HI, but didn't bother to track that.

I also destroyed all the Aircraft factories in the City of Moscow; that puts a dent in Pe-2 production most notably

T-22: First Turn of Snow in 1941:

I had not posted any thoughts or plan before regarding what I was doing in the Snow.

The main decision is how far you really push it. Do you attempt a major offensive, with encirclements, or do you mostly just attack targets of opportunity? I decided on the latter. Hopefully, I am not playing too conservatively.

My thinking is that by now B-G has reserve armies he can use (I have spotted troops concentrations which I think are a couple of those), so a big breakout might get me bogged down. Though SNOW is 3 turns, you really need that last turn to set-up your defensive preparations, so you really only have 2 turns. The SNOW itself limits Panzer mobility.

I have also spent the last few turns building multiple layers of trench in many areas; moving everyone forward would expose all that work to DECAY, and I need forts if I am to survive this winter. In fact, more forts than I have built anyway.

The other factors were strength: B-G has done a good job with his defensive prep, leaving no obvious openings. There is nothing I could take that I wouldn't lose immediately in Winter. I don't want to expend too many tanks, and let's not forget I have, right now, ZERO air support in the Soviet Union. All bombers are back in Germany.

So, I decided on a "Lay-up" plan.

THE PLAN:

The plan basically is simple: Punch the Red Army in the nose, and scurry back to our forts.

I only launched very high probability attacks with high visible CV odds, and used almost all Deliberate, except as follow-ups on already beaten units where Hasty attacks almost always work. I often attacked the unit in front, leaving enough MPs to get back to a Fort so it didn't decay on me. I only advanced a hex or two, if that.

The ground I am taking and clearing, I plan to immediately give-up on the first Blizzard turn. To that extent, it will help thwart Soviet attacks. There is no way I going to attempt to defend open ground up front. That is suicidal!

I do have some units exposed to counterattack this turn, but I would rather the Soviets expend energy now than 3 turns from now, if that's possible.

I think this turn was successful in causing casulaties. We routed a total of 42 Soviet units; that's a very high number, and I asked B-G why he thought that was. A couple items:

1. New MORALE rules; Red Army has lower morale
2. With all the FORT ZONES he built, I think B-G has left alot of crappy leaders in place.
3. My use of DELIBERATE attacks this turn, and high-odds attacks
4. STACKS: In a few cases, they routed because they didn't have an easy retreat path

I hope it's #1, because that will also blunt the Blizzard campaign.

RED ARMY strength right now stands at 4.37 mil. I project he enters Blizzard at about 4.5 mil.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to stone10)
Post #: 126
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/16/2011 7:22:47 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

1. New MORALE rules; Red Army has lower morale

I have no idea why, but this argument keeps popping up, also in some tester reports, even though it's untrue, as can be seen with even a cursory glance at what the actual morale changes were.

The Soviets used to have a national morale of 40 in 1941, now they start at 50 and will lose 1 point each month, which still means they're at 44 in December, 4 points above the previous maximum. Cavalry and mountain divisions (and maybe the airborne brigades too, not entirely sure) also get another +5 to their national morale, so theoretically their national morale in June 1941 is 15 points above where it was in previous versions.

One of the problems seems to be that some Soviet reinforcement units have abysmal morale (~35-40), which is something that should probably be fixed/adjusted to the national morale at the time.

Maybe the players notice that they don't get morale for all refitting units, but placing the entire Soviet army on refit to get their morale to 50 was an exceptionally gamey strategy, so I'm glad it's gone. It has been more or less gone for a while now in any case.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 10/16/2011 8:08:10 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 127
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/16/2011 7:29:58 PM   
Flaviusx

It keeps popping up because it is true. Morale is markedly lower in this patch as a practical matter.

Pretty sure the old morale was set to 45, btw. Not 40.

More importantly, German morale is significantly higher. So the net difference is very substantial and a large part of the reason casualty ratios are also higher now.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 10/16/2011 7:32:20 PM >

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 128
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/16/2011 7:57:19 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

It keeps popping up because it is true. Morale is markedly lower in this patch as a practical matter.

I have yet to see you, or anyone else, present evidence that it is in fact true, or evidence proving that the changes I mentioned didn't actually happen.

quote:

Pretty sure the old morale was set to 45, btw. Not 40.

Not according to the manual.

quote:

More importantly, German morale is significantly higher. So the net difference is very substantial and a large part of the reason casualty ratios are also higher now.

How is all German morale "significantly higher"? German regular infantry morale doesn't get any bonuses, it's the same as always. German mobile unit corrected national morale is now 85, which doesn't have an effect to the units at 90, only on the units below 86 morale. As such, the Germans have a bit more mobility, but (again) I have yet to see evidence that infantry morale is somehow higher than before, as there's nothing in the changelist that suggests it is.

Regardless, those are two separate things, German and Soviet national morale, so even if German morale would be higher for all units, which is something I don't believe in as there's nothing in the changelist supporting that, Soviet national morale would, quite simply, still be higher than before no matter how you spin it.

Since 1.04, I haven't seen a truly significant increase in casualty ratios.

Also: the high casualties are probably caused by most reinforcement divisions having 30 experience elements, which take months to get into any kind of shape due to the slow 1 experience point per turn increase.

Bottom line: if you don't believe me, just check the editor. You'll see that average Soviet reinforcement morale for Rifle formations is about 40, quite likely to increase by a couple of points due to being below the national morale before the unit gets to the frontline, even without refitting the unit. You'll also see the low ground element experience, which translate to higher casualties. You'll also see that the Soviets even get some nice 60 morale Rifle divisions.

Besides: all units that start on the map still use the same formula for morale/experience that they used at release, as far as I know.

The morale isn't the problem for the Soviets, the low experience is.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 10/16/2011 8:26:28 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 129
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/16/2011 8:04:49 PM   
stone10

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: stone10

50 Armament and 22 Vehicle; that's about 13.5% of Armament production. I also destroyed some HI, but didn't bother to track that.

I also destroyed all the Aircraft factories in the City of Moscow; that puts a dent in Pe-2 production most notably

What is the moral of your armor & motorized units ?

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 130
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/16/2011 8:47:30 PM   
Flaviusx

Pieter: please explain the higher casualty ratios post patch. My answer: morale. Your answer?

And yes, they are higher. Upwards of 5:1 now post patch. This isn't just my imagination, James will confirm it. And I think most of these AARs will do so as well.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 10/16/2011 8:49:55 PM >

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 131
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/16/2011 10:21:20 PM   
ComradeP

The answer can't be morale for the very simple reason that national morale is higher than before and that the poor experience causes more casualties, together with somewhat higher Axis mobile unit morale for some units.

Look, you don't have to believe what I'm saying, but in that case I'll ask you to do one simple thing which will take you less than 5 minutes: open the editor and look at the morale of most of the arriving Rifle divisions, keeping in mind that those below 40-something will generally gain morale before they get to the front due to being below the national morale. Look at the average experience, which is generally in the 30's and is probably the main problem.

Again: morale can't be the explanation, it's impossible.

I'm not seeing a significant increase in casualties compared to post-1.04 versions. The average reasonably good Axis attack still results in about 2000-2500 Soviet losses (killed and 1/2 damaged), which is just like it always was. I'm seeing some 9000 casualty results for full stacks too, but those might very well be caused by the AI being in Aryan Supermen mode. Those results are rare and still only come down to about 3000 losses per division.

You've said yourself that on average the Soviet armed forces are growing in your game against James. Your average casualties are about 160.000 per turn, including the casualties from the opening disasters, which is something the initial pool+manpower production+efficiency measures/downsizing TOE's can handle just fine for the moment.

Your Soviet army will number around 5 million men by the blizzard, which is a perfectly acceptable size, yet you feel casualties have somehow increased significantly. There's a rather large disconnect between the shape of your OOB and what you imply, namely that casualties are significantly higher.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 10/16/2011 10:40:09 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 132
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/16/2011 10:38:19 PM   
ComradeP

Edit: Nevermind, this only works when the enemy hasn't launched any attacks.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 10/18/2011 6:23:17 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 133
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/17/2011 12:35:39 AM   
Flaviusx

Pieter, I don't believe you. It's morale. Soviet morale is lower now than before, and German morale is higher. It just is. You're just not seeing the dynamic in play now. The Germans are more mobile; they make more attacks; they get more morale; and are taking less losses doing so than ever before thanks to the way this ratchets up. The opposite effect is going on with the Soviets.

You don't get this because you won't see it playing the AI. This is what happens when you play a human, who will press the thing to the limit.

But don't take my word for it. Let's ask our veteran PBEMers like Q-ball here. How do you think your morale and casualty ration are now compared to earlier versions?

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 134
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/17/2011 2:45:21 PM   
ComradeP

As I've said before, games against the AI still use the same combat engine as those against a human, so for similar battles, you still get similar losses.

You still haven't provided evidence for your statement that morale is lower, and the documentation, the changelist and the in-game situation all show that your statement is incorrect. However, feel free to believe what you want.

As to humans pressing things to the limit: that depends on a lot of things. If you look at Andy's game vs. himself in the tester forum, he only had about 4 million men by the blizzard. You will have about 5 million (and have suffered lower losses than Bletchley Geek), partially due to the problems with part of the Soviet manpower production now being fixed. James' Axis are going to come close to historical KIA's, they'll probably be somewhat higher in the end.

Also: I'm not sure what you're basing your statement on that the Germans now make more attacks, considering that prior to your recent PBEM's, according to what you posted you were also mostly playing against the AI, so I'm not sure what you're comparing the current situation to.

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 135
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/17/2011 6:13:02 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

How do you think your morale and casualty ration are now compared to earlier versions?

My viewpoint is admittedly limited; I have only played 4 PBEMs, it's just that they ones I have played I have always done an AAR, so they are pretty well documented. But here is my take vs. my game against Tarhunnas.

I think the Combat casualty ratio is about the same, though I have noticed a divergence in the last couple turns of combat.

Combat Ratios vs. Game w Tarhunnas:

The Top Line numbers (below) look like I am getting a better ratio. The Russians lost about the same number of casualties, and the Axis suffered almost 200K LESS. But if you look beyond that, I think the Combat Ratios are about the same.

The big delta is in POWs; I have captured alot more in this game than Tarhunnas did against me. There are many reasons why, not least because I ran more as Soviets than B-G did early, but net effect is that in this game I have pocketed more units than Tarhunnas did.

There has also been alot less actual combat fighting; Tarhunnas pushed his guys to the end in his game, and I ran the Wehrmacht very gently, IMO. He burned out all his tanks, I didn't.

I think you have to exclude POWs in Combat Ratios, because POWs are a function not of Combat Results, and Firing, but maneuver. My worst combat result was against 12th Panzer, but not because it's morale was low, but because it was surrounded. Same for the Soviets. Changing experience and morale rules should have little to no effect on POWs, except as a by-product of maneuver. That's it.

Excluding POWs, the ratios are about the same: Vs. Tarhunnas, 2.17 to 1, and against B-G, 2.24 to 1. Anecdotely, it feels the same.

The last couple turns have seen a divergence; I have acheived closer to 5 to 1. Is this due to a change in the Red Army? Getting to 2nd line cadres? Is B-G putting bad units on the front too willingly? Is if a function of the types of attacks I am doing (very low risk ones, as I'm ONLY trying to up the Red Army body count)?

I personally don't think it needs tweaking. I am trying to stay side-neutral, as I like to play Soviets more than Germans actually, and my next game will be as Soviet. But I think, so far, the balance feels right. We need to get further to see how it plays out. So I think the GAME is good.

Now, if we are trying to model closer to HISTORY, it's not quite there, but you can argue vs. History that the Germans need more help. The Germans were more depleted than I am into winter, particularly in tanks. But per Glantz, the Red Army was down to 2.8 mil men in Q4 of '41; at that number in-game, it would be a runaway. The game doesn't sufficiently model logistical limits, so an actual 2.8 mil count would be a disaster for the Soviets in the game. On the other side, I don't see the Germans getting 3,000 tanks together for Blau in-game, if they press as hard as they actually did for Moscow. So HISTORICALLY, things are off, but maybe that's OK if the game feels balanced.

T-23: Turn 2 of Snow

Back to the war......we are focusing on running-up the Red Army body count, while at the same time preparing for Winter.

This turn, I am sending some key units back to Germany, like GD Mot (99 morale), and 90+ morale infantry, and 8th Panzer, which has a morale of 95. I need some units for my 1942 Schwerpunkt; I need to resist the temptation to touch these guys.

I continued straight-ahead attacks, and attached some screenshots of what I hope to accomplish this Snow. It's all about hitting Red Army formations so they are depleted come Blizzard, and creating a 1-2 hex "Buffer" that I can cede the first turn of Blizzard to limit attacks. That's pretty much it.

I am creating alot of FORT ZONES, but not for digging, but to prevent fort decay, as I just don't have enough units to cover all my forts, and at any rate, I would rather keep a 1000-man Fort Zone in the open than a 10,000 man HQ. I just have to make sure I pick them up before the Russians are close, as I don't need to give him cheap POWs either. I expect to lose a couple in Blizzard, but hopefully not more than that.

OOB Numbers:

My German OOB hangs around 3.4 mil, with 2000 tanks. The Soviet one is what I am really watching.

Last turn, we finished at 4.37 mil. Imagine my surprise when I opened the turn, and the Soviets were up almost 200,000! Yikes!

I loaded a game from Soviet side, and didn't realize how much the Red Army gets during Snow; something like 200,000 Siberians, about 15 full Rifle Divisions and more, arrives from the east. That's a big boost!

I am revising the Projected Soviet OOB come Blizzard; I expect they'll start around 4.7 mil. That would be 300,000 less than my game vs. Tarhunnas (almost exactly the difference in POWs), but still plenty to cause me grief.

Not looking forward to winter.....

AIR WAR: Finally the Luftwaffe is getting some licks in. I should have pulled my bombers sooner, because I haven't noticed a big drop in my capability, but now that all my airforce is just high-quality fighter pilots, we are doing a number on the Red Air Force. This is how it should be!

Any reason that B-G might be bombing all my HQs? I have noticed this for awhile now. Maybe it's to limit supplies or kill leaders, though the Germans have some depth in good leadership. Anyone have a guess? (Don't tell me a specific reason if B-G posted one).

Just curious.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 10/17/2011 6:27:39 PM >

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 136
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/17/2011 7:02:23 PM   
Klydon

You are probably on to the reasons why for bombing HQ's, although my point would be it is a bit late for that if he is going for the logistics aspect of things. Is he bombing HQ's in general or is he specifically after HQ's that are known to have good leaders? Also, I would think bombing Panzer HQ's would be more productive and meaningful than bombing other HQ's. I have seen some players mention they like to bomb HQ's for the shot at leaders and damage it does against logistics.

Also, if you got guys that are 33% ToE now, I would consider pulling them back far enough to the rail head and try some refit action to make them worth something or they are just going to get creamed come blizzard.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 137
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/17/2011 7:23:29 PM   
Flaviusx

After reviewing my losses in my game with James, I'm showing well above 5:1 casualty ratios until the mud hits. Even excluding POWs (which is a dubious caveat) I'm still seeing this.

I suspect you're including attrition losses here, somehow, Q-ball, not raw combat losses. On many turns attrition losses for the German will actually exceed their combat losses and make the overall figures look closer than they really are so far as combat is concerned.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 138
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/17/2011 7:32:59 PM   
Q-Ball

Those global figures comparing the games does include attrition. No way to separate that out, without manually calculating each turn, combat by combat, which is a pain. It would help if there is an export feature for that data to Excel.

That must mean the ratio of Attrition losses is less than 2 to 1 in the German's favor, in order to drag down a high ratio from Combat.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 139
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/17/2011 8:00:04 PM   
Flaviusx

An export feature to excel would be amazing. I love this idea. Not sure if this is doable or easy, though.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 140
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/17/2011 11:05:40 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

I am creating alot of FORT ZONES, but not for digging, but to prevent fort decay, as I just don't have enough units to cover all my forts, and at any rate, I would rather keep a 1000-man Fort Zone in the open than a 10,000 man HQ. I just have to make sure I pick them up before the Russians are close, as I don't need to give him cheap POWs either. I expect to lose a couple in Blizzard, but hopefully not more than that.

You can minimize manpower drainage with the FZs by setting them, immediately upon construction, to 50% TOE. Each turn, turn off Refit for the previous turn's built FZs. This usually ends up leaving them topping off with about 30-40% TOE.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 141
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/17/2011 11:53:15 PM   
mmarquo

"Any reason that B-G might be bombing all my HQs? I have noticed this for awhile now. Maybe it's to limit supplies or kill leaders, though the Germans have some depth in good leadership."

I have experimented with this and it can be absolutely devastating, especially if 100 + bombers hit an HQ in the open --> losses of 2 - 300 troops and 20 - 50 artillery pieces are not uncommon. Do not leave HQs alone in the open or they will get absolutely hammered. Attack per attack, you score more against HQs than against any other unit on the map.

Marquo

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 142
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/18/2011 3:04:26 AM   
juret

Great AAR

reading this and learning how to play

(in reply to mmarquo)
Post #: 143
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/18/2011 3:24:25 AM   
RedBunny

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

An export feature to excel would be amazing. I love this idea. Not sure if this is doable or easy, though.

Export to CSV would be easy though. I wish the devs would consider it.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 144
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/19/2011 4:01:11 AM   
Q-Ball

JAM: Good advice, I have been putting some limits on. I still have alot in the open, but as I fall back on forts, I will be picking them up. At the moment, about 110,000 Germans are in Fort Zones.

Thanks for comments otherwise guys

T-24: Last Turn of Snow:

We significantly scaled back our attacks this turn; mostly because our Panzers spent more time moving to the nearest city than attacking. My poor Landsers, stuck out in the open anyway, when ahead and attacked. About 45,000 Russians were killed this turn.

Picture below says it all. Compared to my game vs. Tarhunnas, B-G is about 300,000 short, and my lines are shorter. Tarhunnas had some good forts, though. I don't expect this to be a fun winter. At all.

Unit Plan:

Several Units are going back to East Prussia for the Winter. Including:
1. 4 Infantry Divisions of 90+ Morale
2. 2 Mot Divs also 90+
3. 2 Panzer Divs of 94+ Morale
4. GD Mot Regt; 99 Morale
5. 8 Airbases; with all my bombers in Germany, no point keeping them up front. A few more will go back later; right now, they are watching trenches

I have ALOT of units sitting on FORTS to keep them from decaying, including about 95 Fort Zones, HQs, Airbases, and some units. It's really a pain to do this, but the Germans MUSt keep them from degrading, if you don't want to spend the Blizzard in the open.

I have done everything I can to build FORTS. I probably did too many, since they will get run over fast in Blizzard, but I needed to halt anyway for supply reasons.

Any other advice would be appreciated. You can see the map below. I didn't build alot of RR right to the front, because I expect to fall back on my rail lines, by evacuating alot of hexes.

CRIMEA: I continue to occupy most of the Crimea, with only a few ridiculously exposed units. They will make a run for the exits as soon as Blizzard hits.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RedBunny)
Post #: 145
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/19/2011 8:46:11 PM   
sj80

Hi Q-Ball,
very nice defense lines, these will help you a lot during blizzard I think. I'm at turn 25 in my game with Lasalle and I missed to protect old fortifications from decaying. So I will have to survice in open terrain after my front line is pushed back. Are forts creating fortification levels by themselves after some turns like standard units?
I did the same thing during snow .. pushing back the Sovjets and creating some space to my frontline.
One more question, did you set other TOE levels to your units than you wrote at beginning of your AAR with setting TOE of artillery to 50%?

sj80

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 146
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/20/2011 4:07:10 AM   
Q-Ball

T-25: First Blizzard Turn:

First turn seems easy; no Soviet attacks. I have no illusions on this winter; B-G is a good player, and he has plenty to open a can of whoop-ass on the Wehrmacht. I am hoping to limit the damages.

At any rate, I am posting maps to show what I am trying to do. Probably won't work, but worth trying anyway.

I have 7 units now in East Prussia I hope not to touch, that can help me open up my own can come March.

Meanwhile, the pain is about to begin.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sj80)
Post #: 147
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/20/2011 4:24:09 AM   
M60A3TTS

Q-Ball, on the winter cross-river movement costs, I see the rule referring to major rivers. I see on the map there that you are behind one, the Oka, in spots but not in others. Do you understand the rules to be that way?

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 148
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/20/2011 2:09:34 PM   
Klydon

It will be interesting to see what happens. If a Russian has not played with the new winter rules, they are going to be in for a shock. They have got to make hay during December when the Axis are at their weakest. Come January, the combat values will improve a fair amount for the Axis, and although they are still vulnerable to excessive damage due to the blizzard, it is not nearly as easy to kick the crap out of them up and down the front. If the Russians don't get things rolling in December, their offensive could fizzle during January. The other thing is they want enough pressure on the Axis to at least make them commit panzers in the open. If the Axis can "winter" the panzers in safe cities for December, it helps them a lot.

Q-Ball, I am somewhat surprised you don't have a larger reserve, although nothing says you can't add to it as the winter goes along. Are you planning to add to it? I was pulling battered units out and sending them to Poland to refit and join the reserve, but 7 divisions is not much of a spearhead. (Think I had equivalent to a 4 division panzer corps and 8 infantry divisions along with GD and another panzer division hanging out in Leningrad).

(in reply to M60A3TTS)
Post #: 149
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/20/2011 2:27:11 PM   
Q-Ball

That is a good question on RESERVES.

I have alot more reserves than the ones in East Prussia; in fact, I don't know that I consider them "Reserves", I really hope to keep them parked all Winter no matter what. That's now GD Regt, 1 Panzer Corps, and 4 Inf. Div, all 90+ morale units.

In addition, I have the following:

4 Infantry Divisions in "Strategic Reserve" in Russia; i.e., back of the front on a rail-line, in safe place (Mogilev, Kiev, etc)
At least 6 more Divisions in "Ready Reserve"; parked in cities closer to the front
Most of my Panzers are parked in Cities right now; I am keeping them closer to the front just in case

Basically, every city east of the Dnepr is full-up on units. And I have placed untis in several Size-4 cities on the map.

If you look up top at the shot near Voronezh; you see 2 Panzer Units in what appears to be the open.

The one in the SW corner is in a size-4 town. You just can't tell. It will likely stay there all December.

The other one is 10th Panzer; it is going to stay out all Winter. I don't really care if that particular unit has cooked morale come March, because it's gone in May anyway.

LAH SS and Das Reich are also spending the winter outside. They are withdrawn before the 1942 summer campaign anyway.

Same for 12th Panzer, which is really 12th ERSATZ panzer (It's a re-built unit that was destroyed in Moscow); it's Morale is already low, so who cares. It's going to fight.

THese are some of the ways I am making decisions

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 10/20/2011 2:29:02 PM >

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Geek (Sov). 1.05 beta Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI