Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Geek (Sov). 1.05 beta

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Geek (Sov). 1.05 beta Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/20/2011 3:10:55 PM   
gingerbread

If you park 12th Pz on refit in Warsaw, it will grow back to an morale 80 unit in time for '42 campaign.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 151
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/20/2011 3:20:00 PM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerbread

If you park 12th Pz on refit in Warsaw, it will grow back to an morale 80 unit in time for '42 campaign.

Yes, but units with a current Morale over 80 will lose it permanently barring future combat, so 12th Panzer stays outside first. Understand the point though.

Also, units put back in East Prussia or Warsaw will be the first to receive the IIIJ/L60, or the IV F2. I want those tank-killers to go to higher morale units. If 12th Panzer was in Warsaw, it would be collecting those types first.

BTW: I screwed-up on the ICE rules. Dumb on my part! I should have read more carefully; the new lvl-8 ICING rules apply to MAJOR RIVERS ONLY. So, all the lines I put up around MINOR rivers are a mistake. I left some units out there, thinking they would get a bonus, this turn only, for protection on Minor Rivers, but no dice. Only with the handful of units I have along the DON near Voronezh, do I get any kind of break there. Ouch!

RESERVE COUNT:

I just did a count around the Map. I have 14 GE Infantry Divisions in Russia that are in Reserve at the moment; i.e., they are in cities. Almost all are within shouting distance of the front. I have about 4-5 decent Romanian Divisions also in reserve (Decent means full-strength, and 50+ morale/experience)

In addition, I currently have 17 Mobile Divisions parked in Cities in Russia close to the Front.

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 10/20/2011 8:43:11 PM >

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 152
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/20/2011 7:37:34 PM   
Klydon

Yep, agree on all points as far as what units you have out to do the brunt of fighting outside due to their withdrawl.

After I noticed my armor units falling to pieces with the way tank attrition works now, I also moved some high moral motorized units out to be ready for a summer offensive. The way I see it: full strength panzer divsion > motorized division with 3 support units > panzer unit that has been marching around for awhile. Unfortunately a full strength panzer unit seems to attrition down faster than motorized units now.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 153
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/20/2011 10:55:29 PM   
Mike13z50

quote:

The one in the SW corner is in a size-4 town. You just can't tell. It will likely stay there all December.

I was wondering why you mentioned the size 4 part of the town, so went back to the rule book.

In a town hex, one unit with the highest CV is eligible to avoid the penalty, but only if Die (4) is less than or equal to the population value of the town.

OUCH! I stopped reading at the bold part. I'm in mid-January in my first game as Germans and have had Panzers sitting in small towns. Live and learn.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 154
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/21/2011 3:09:06 PM   
Q-Ball

MIKE: Yes, you can't really count on size-1 or 2 towns. If you get a good die roll it's gravy, but that's it. It can be a hassle finding the larger town though.

12/11/41: 2nd Turn of Blizzard:

This turn wasn't too terrible, except for a MAJOR brain fart on my part (I forgot to move a couple units!). They will get destroyed, but oh well....lesson learned.

Overall, the number of attacks was less than I expected.

Attack Counter:
26-3 This turn; not a ton of attacks, obviously they almost all worked though
I will keep a total counter as well; it's 26-3 at this point!

In my game vs. Tarhunnas, I started in the 70s and 80s, and got to a 100 a few turns. Tarhunnas had good forts, too. Key differences: 1) Shorter German lines in this one, and 2) My Red Army was 300,000 stronger at this point, which is almost exactly the difference in in POWs in the two games.

We made 2 counterattacks this turn, in both case Tank Brigade stacks that stuck their necks out, and we routed. Tank Brigades are pretty easy targets, even in Blizzard.

OOOPS!

I forgot to move 2 divisions in the Crimea; I guess I moved the map, and forgot to go down there. As a result, 2 divisions are going to be destroyed right off the bat. OUCH! This was just a dumb mistake on my part. B-G graciously offered to re-do turn, but I can live with the mistake. It's 2 divisions, not the end of the world.

Soviet Army:

First, turn, we can already see a couple points of push.

The main effort seems to be between Moscow and Voronezh, with strong secondary efforts around Torzhok, and the Donbas. We identified a SHOCK army south of Tula, and there are alot of guys there. I think this is the main push. We are dispatching reinforcements, but I am going to run out of forts there at the end of the month.

January is going to be tough. In February, I can open a gap and let him run west if he wants to in a bulge, provided I hold the flanks.

4 Reserve Divisions are on their way to 4th Army, which will bear the brunt.

There are two notably quiet sectors. One is north of the Donbas; no attacks. The other is in front of the Valdai Hills, near the Finns. From both these areas, I am pulling a couple extra divisions to reinforce the center. I am also pulling the Panzer Corps from AGN to send to the center.

Run or Hold?

This is the key question for the Germans in Blizzard. Forts are dear. Obviously you don't want units cut-off, but otherwise you have to be smart on whether you run or hold.

I would say my strategy has had a fair amount of running so far. I am not running in front of Moscow, because although I started Blizzard with 3 quality rows of forts, I have nothing behind me. Once the forts near Moscow are gone, I will be falling back on Smolensk. Further south, I have lines prepared in the rear, but those won't be enough.

IMO, it is impossible for the Germans to have 13 turns worth of forts avaiable. Not only is it almost impossible to construct all those forts, you would need 100s of forts zones just to keep them from degrading. I built approx. 300 size-2 forts as it was, and that took a major halt, and effort with Shovels.

Once the forts run out, I plan to retreat. I may give up 20 hexes along the front this Blizzard, despite preparations. It is very difficult to build more than 2-3 rows of forts as Germans, without halting on turn 10. If you remember, I also took more empty ground in the center during Snow, for the express purpose of creating a buffer. That buffer is now gone, but served it's purpose.

I hope by the time I am out in the open, and I will end up out in the open, I will get CV bumps. January figures to be very very tough, but February I should be OK, and thinking about REVENGE...........

Losses:

So far, losses are about 75,000 for me during Blizzard, and 100,000 for him. Attrition must be taking a toll.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mike13z50)
Post #: 155
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/21/2011 4:15:15 PM   
TulliusDetritus

LOL

Someone with enough creativity should do some sort of Hitler's rant (with WitE)

My prefered have always been Hitler Vista Problems and Hitler Not A Happy Chappy After Sheff[ield] Utd [a Premier League football team] Relegated

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 156
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/21/2011 4:34:20 PM   
JAMiAM

Well done, Q-Ball! Laughed my ass off with the Hitler rant!

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 157
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/21/2011 11:30:15 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

Pieter, I don't believe you. It's morale. Soviet morale is lower now than before, and German morale is higher. It just is. You're just not seeing the dynamic in play now. The Germans are more mobile; they make more attacks; they get more morale; and are taking less losses doing so than ever before thanks to the way this ratchets up. The opposite effect is going on with the Soviets.

You don't get this because you won't see it playing the AI. This is what happens when you play a human, who will press the thing to the limit.

But don't take my word for it. Let's ask our veteran PBEMers like Q-ball here. How do you think your morale and casualty ration are now compared to earlier versions?

I am thinking the problem is that Russian players are just running east?

There are next to nothing in counter attacks in the AAR's, most russians are afraid of losing arm pts and getting bagged so they retreat and put up screens and not a real defence until turn 12 or so.

As a German from turns 1- 10 I win 99% of the battles because there is nothing to fight against.

ComradeP is 100% right your over all morale is better, but over all Russian tactics have changed after 1.05 and the tactic of evacing and running east has a cost, which is lower moral for the Reds and higher morale for the Germans.

Its easy to click up moral fighting screens for 10 turns.

Pelton

< Message edited by Pelton -- 10/21/2011 11:35:59 PM >

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 158
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/21/2011 11:38:32 PM   
Peltonx

Losses your last post were really good for you. General winter killed most of your troops. Problem is once your out of forts you be retreating unit March.

Forts should be build based on where you want to defend in January and not December.

Atleast thats my post 1.05 thinking.

Pelton

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 159
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/22/2011 3:05:11 PM   
Q-Ball

RE: DOWNFALL: T-D, maybe someone should do a Downfall Parody on WITE. The world does not have enough Downfall parodies!!!!

PS: Is the real film any good?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton
Forts should be build based on where you want to defend in January and not December.

Atleast thats my post 1.05 thinking.

Pelton

I agree with this, but it's one of those "easier said than done". The problem is that combat units are the diggers; so if they are several hexes back of the line digging fortifications, they are not up front manning the line. That's the problem. Meanwhile, you end up building a fort-line right at the front, by default, because there are units there.

I did build back of the line in the Crimea, and I also built a line from Belgorod through the Donbas cities, all of which started at least 8 hexes off the front. That's the best I felt I could do. I had to thin out the front to do it, to the extent that B-G was starting to pick on my most exposed units. I also halted about 3 turns before the end of Summer, to mostly dig, and also grab empty space.

Up front, I created double-belts, mostly by splitting divisions into Regiments, and rotating them back and forth during MUD. That helps a bit, but the most you get are size-1 forts that way.

I am looking for good feedback. I probably should have pulled a few more units to around Orel/Kursk to dig in that vicinity, but other than that, I don't regret my winter prep decisions. You only have so many units and so much time.

I have also been fanatical about FORT MAINTENENCE, so nothing is degrading, but only because I am parking units there (like empty Hungarian airbases).

A whole thread should be started on 1.05 Winter Prep, because I think alot of German players are going to be caugh in even worse fort shape than I am, and really take it on the chin. I think we'll see that.

T-27: 12/18/41

A pattern has emerged on B-Gs attacks. He is focusing on fewer attacks, but acheiving very high odds, almost "sure things". Not a bad idea, his attacks feature multiple units, so that is a strategy focused on maxing out Guards status.

Against Tarhunnas, I had way way more attacks, over DOUBLE what B-G has. That's likely smaller Red Army, shorter front (fewer targets), morale changes. Tarhunnas had more forts. It's also, though, because I focused not on maxing-out my successful unit wins, but attacking the max number of Germans. Alot of those failed, but I pushed the Wehrmacht badly.

Attack Counter:
T-26: 25-11
Sum Total: 51-14

EVENTS THIS TURN:

The picture below tells the best story. My losses are about 1-1 once you throw in the 50K or so Red Army attrition each turn. That's about par for a Blizzard. Doesn't sound great, but we all know the Reds will take 1-1 any day of the week, and twice on May Day.

Couple items of note:
CRIMEA: The two divisions that Herr Hitler ranted about are going to die next turn. That's too bad, we all make mistakes, and good players make us pay for them. B-G is a good player, he made me PAY!

DONBAS: German Mountain units are tough. One of my Mountain Divisions ROUTED a Cav Corps this turn near the Donbas! That felt good!

Speaking of Cav Corps, we have identified one unit as "11th Cavalry Corps". That means B-G has at least 11 of those things. That's smart on his part, bad for us. We Hates Them!!!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 10/22/2011 3:07:28 PM >

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 160
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/22/2011 3:12:40 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

You haven't seen it? Yes, it is a great movie. The actor who portrays Hitler (Bruno Ganz, Austrian like Adolf)) is simply amazing. If I am not mistaken he spent all his life doing shi*** TV Films on Austrian and German movie industry so that role was a big hit for him. Problem is... if you have watched the parodies the the real thing will be sort of weird Still, you really have to watch it.

FEGELEIN!!!! FEGELEIN!!!! FEGELEIN!!!!!!

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 161
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/23/2011 8:58:33 AM   
Balou

Ganz is mainly a stage actor, and btw a very famous one.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 162
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/23/2011 9:39:18 AM   
modrow

Q-Ball,

sorry, cannot resist... your recent "hitler-rant" basically forced me to do it:

quote:

CRIMEA: The two divisions that Herr Hitler ranted about are going to die next turn. That's too bad, we all make mistakes, and good players make us pay for them. B-G is a good player, he made me PAY!

Situation report by Generalfeldmarschall Q-Ball in the FHQ:

Generalfeldmarschall Q-Ball:

"Ahem, btw, mein Fuehrer, those two divisions you ranted about last wee are goint to die. That's too bad, we all make mistakes, and good generals make us pay for them. That marshal zhukov is a really great general, he made me pay..."

A.H. **edited to comply with forum etiquette**

Sometimes it's good to know we are just playing games

Hartwig

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 163
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/23/2011 12:04:32 PM   
janh

quote:

RE: DOWNFALL: T-D, maybe someone should do a Downfall Parody on WITE. The world does not have enough Downfall parodies!!!!

I wasn't too impressed with the movie, to be honest. It seemed to be more about story telling biased by todays German preception of history than about historical accuracy. Presently there are plans by a German public-sponsored TV station for a movie about Rommel, but the script already spawned a heated debate about his character and involvement in nazi politics. Germans like to view all the leading characters except those few that engaged in well-known, open opposition to the regime as true by heart to the Nazis, and guilty for all crimes by default. There is little grey space for a detailed analysis and accurate representation of people like Rommel, who did not like Hitler and the Nazis, but also didn't fight against them (whether and how much that renders him guilty now). The new movie script also shows that: obviously Rommel will be represented as a whole-hearted Nazi, skewing the representation of this true character and misleading the representation about his military genius. Seems like outside nationalities can see the Germans and the War with much clearer eyes and more value to facts than most of us Germans can or want to view it ourselves.

quote:

Up front, I created double-belts, mostly by splitting divisions into Regiments, and rotating them back and forth during MUD. That helps a bit, but the most you get are size-1 forts that way.

I am looking for good feedback. I probably should have pulled a few more units to around Orel/Kursk to dig in that vicinity, but other than that, I don't regret my winter prep decisions. You only have so many units and so much time.

Without risking to say to much, I believe one, perhaps even two of the flanks of your rearward fort lines are dangling pretty badly in the air. Not sure whether B-G can reach so deep in his winter offensive, but if he manages and finds your open flanks, he might find an opportunity there to unhinge the whole line.

< Message edited by janh -- 10/23/2011 12:05:18 PM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 164
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/24/2011 3:35:53 PM   
gingerbread

There are extra advantages for a sudden pullback when the blizzard starts, if you have the buffer, in that the Soviet railroad repair is slow, so supplying units at the front will chew up vehicles and then fewer tank corps can be supported during much of '42. Railroad destruction is a valid selection criteria for late summer and snow turn attacks/offensives.

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 165
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/25/2011 1:04:36 AM   
carlkay58

A few comments:

Q-Ball you can eliminate the attrition casualties from the report by opening the casualty report immediately when you recieve the turn. This zeroes the count and further reports will only report on changes during your move.

Soviet morale - the major change that may have escaped many people is that Refit only benefits unit morale when more than 10 hexes from an enemy unit. If the unit is more than 10 hexes from an enemy unit, it may advance its morale by up to 3 per turn up to the National Morale level. If it is not more than 10 hexes away it may only advance its morale by up to 1 per turn. If the Soviets rail their reinforcements too close to the front too soon they do not gain morale above their original 30 - 35 they start with. This forces the Soviets to build up their reinforcing armies well in the rear as it will take about 5 turns for their morale to reach the National level. This really changes things for the Soviets.

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 166
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/25/2011 2:20:26 AM   
Q-Ball

T28: 12/25/41

Not a Merry X-Mas for the Wehrmacht, although I have to say that so far, this Blizzard has been much lighter than the last PBEM I played. Morale may be playing a role as you guys say, plus the fact that I am retreating ALOT. I think B-G knows what he is doing and is a good player, so it's not that.

I hate to give up ground, but I think in this case it's justified. I took alot of ground late in Summer and in Snow, for this express purpose: To retreat back out of it. I also expect to be able to uncork a counteroffensive in Snow. Check out the shot below; I have several divisions building up, and more that are on the map that I haven't used yet.

Hopefully these more tactical shots are interesting for you guys. I don't think anyone has shown the "Magic Formula" yet for Blizzard survival, and I would have done a few things differently already.

Crisis Areas:

There are two main crisis areas: 2nd Army and 4th Army. See the shots.

In 2nd Army sector, the main issue is that I was never strong there, resulting in slow forts builds. I have no answer for the Reds here, other than falling back on Smolensk/Vyazma. On the bright side, there isn't alot to give up here, just trees really.

In 4th Army sector, the big problem is the Reds are so damn strong there. Shock Armys and everything. He really built-up here, probably to make hay.

Otherwise, here is the status:

16th Army: In front of the Valdai Hills, he is pushing, but not terribly hard. I think he is just guarding the flank of the advance on 2nd Army, and 16th Army will probably end the Blizzard in the Valdai Hills, which are a good position.

Moscow: In front of Moscow, we are holding in decent forts. We are down to the last 2 rows of forts, so they will run out Mid-Jan or so, but it doesn't really matter because that whole position will be flanked by the guys coming down on 2nd Army anyway. So it's fine.

Kharkov: We are OK here; falling back under pressure, but my real objective is to just hold onto Kharkov. I have a line of level 2 forts from Belgorod through the Donbas to the Sea of Azov that are still 4 hexes back of the front, so we have some time.

Donbas: I hope to hold the Donbas. The reds are 5-6 hexes EAST right now. The Mountain divisions are really helping here, as he does have quite a few troops.

Crimea: My strategy basically worked; it will be the 1st turn of January before the first serious assault on the Crimea. Even it he clears the exits by mid-January, he will likely have to halt at some point for his own protections. I think I'll be OK, but those are also famous last words!

Attack Counter, 3 Turns In:
25-4 this turn
75-19 Overall; as I said, lighter than I expected; this was about the same as ONE turn against Tarhunnas (which was under a different version)

Otherwise, check out the graphics below.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 10/25/2011 2:35:07 AM >

(in reply to carlkay58)
Post #: 167
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/25/2011 2:43:04 AM   
Klydon

Q-Ball, do any of your reserves in Poland have corps HQs? While it may cost to transfer command, might be worth it to have them also in Poland, not taking damage and also sucking up supplies/fuel for when they go back to the front.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 168
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/25/2011 3:03:58 AM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon

Q-Ball, do any of your reserves in Poland have corps HQs? While it may cost to transfer command, might be worth it to have them also in Poland, not taking damage and also sucking up supplies/fuel for when they go back to the front.

I am about to send them one that is freed-up.

I just looked at my reserve situation in general; NOT counting the guys in Poland:

-I have 5 Fresh Infantry Divisions still available in Russia
-I have 4 Divisions just pulled off the line, on REFIT, on a RR. They should be available for something soon.
-Most of my Panzers are uncomitted, aside from the Corps in 2nd Army Sector. I am holding-off in particular on 3 88+ Morale Mot Divs, though I may need to send them in. Some Mobile Divisions I mentioned earlier, though, are spending winter outside.
-I also have 4 Romanian Divisions left at 50+ Morale. They are worth something.

In addition, the Germans do get some reinforcements in January, which also help.

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 169
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/27/2011 3:27:45 AM   
Q-Ball

1/1/42: Blizzard:

NOTE: I may end up eating every optimistic word in this post!

....but things are not looking half-bad. Maybe that's the optimisim that comes from seeing your unit CVs increase by 50% from last turn, and attacks go down.

This turn, he launched only 16 total attacks. (14 successful). I am pulling back in many areas, but that is still surprising. I will ask B-G why he thinks later on.

The ATTACK COUNTER IS:

14-2 this turn
89-21 TOTAL so far in December

That is a low total for December. I have a few possible reasons for this:

1. My retreating; see examples below. Giving up a hex is a great defense strategy in Blizzard. I have been doing this ALOT.
2. Poor Red Army condition, either RULES changes, or heavy Summer losses, or both
3. Deliberate approach; alot of B-Gs attacks are very high odds.
4. Forts and Preparation

I will seek feedback from B-G, but so far this winter has been very light compared to past Blizzards I have worked on.

Problem Areas:

Nevertheless, it's not a picnic either. I am completely out of forts near OREL, which is the main push I think.

2nd Army continues to deteriorate north of Rzhev, and we are out of forts. I retreated alot this turn, and will one more, but after that I have to either fight, or pull all my troops in front of Moscow back on Vyazma. I have to hold Vyazma, because the woods run out after that town, basically.

4th Army is also on the ropes; the forts are gone, and he is really pressing.

I have dispatched 2 more Infantry Divisions to each area, and 2 more are on the way. Each turn in January the Wehrmacht gets some fresh infantry, which is a big help.

Josef Harpe?: The leader promotion rules are a bit strange. von Bock got canned, which isn't a huge shocker, but replacing him with a GeneralMajor is. Harpe is junior to all Army commanders in AGC, and is 3 ranks junior to the commander of 4th Army, Gunther von Kluge, who is now his subordinate. Maybe Harpe married Goering's sister or something.

Harpe has decent ratings, so I'll leave him there, but weird.

Blizzard Tactics:

Check out my shots below for a sampling of my Blizzzard tactics

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 10/27/2011 3:33:26 AM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 170
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/27/2011 3:54:57 AM   
Ketza

Fallback as needed and on occasion sting him when he starts to spread out. No better way to do it.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 171
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/27/2011 4:04:16 AM   
Q-Ball

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ketza

Fallback as needed and on occasion sting him when he starts to spread out. No better way to do it.

Thanks, I hope these pictures help someone, because I think alot of early AARs lacked specifics on how to deal with Blizzards

It takes 6 or 7 MPs for Russian Infantry to move into an empty, enemy hex. That means a Rifle Division needs at least 12 MPs at the start of the turn to do a deliberate attack, and that's ONLY on units right in front of them. With the crappy Russian leadership and often overloaded commands, several units won't have 12 MPs. And it's tough to concentrate forces, moving laterally along the front to do so, when you have to spend those MPs just to get to the line.

Of course, the tradeoff is you have to be willing to concede 10-12 hexes everywhere. But if the Wehrmacht survives in good shape, you can get that back. No problem.

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 172
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/27/2011 4:21:39 AM   
Klydon

Another thing to take advantage of if a German can is to smack a spearhead that can only retreat on to a full stack. They will all rout instead of retreating and should be out of commission for a couple of turns, which is the point. Especially helpful against cav corps.

Great job so far trying to limit the damage. I don't know that I like the low tempo of attacks from him. He is going to be hurting on guards unit creation later on if he doesn't get rolling.

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 173
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/27/2011 4:24:14 AM   
Ketza

That is pretty much how I handled my blizzard against 76mm. That was under the old Blizzard rules. I rarely stood and fought and never let him close with me until Feb. I also counter attacked frequently when he used tank brigades and cav corps. I came out of the Blizzard in excellent shape.

The other very positive aspect is you cut down on his victories which reduces guards units which helps in 1942 as well.

The downside is losing the hexes but your army will be in great shape and taking them back should not be an issue.

Good luck!

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 174
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/28/2011 4:41:20 PM   
Q-Ball

If anyone is interested, I posted in Opponents wanted for a crackerjack Axis opponent. I am hoping for a forum lurker, and someone who is going to make me SWEAT as the Russians!

PM Me if interested

EDIT: I am playing JAMiAM, so in terms of getting an opponent who is going to make me sweat....I think mission accomplished there!

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 10/28/2011 5:35:09 PM >

(in reply to Ketza)
Post #: 175
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/29/2011 2:59:11 PM   
Peltonx

You sure Katzaed BG during the Blizzard.

Great job using space to your advantage. Reading his AAR about his blizzard O is kinda sad, because he was really unable to attack much at all and when he did it cost him much more then you. 3 to 1 odds generally.

I have followed Katza advice and have my winter fort line far from the front seeing land means little to nothing.

You only need to pull 15 divisions out of the line around turn 12-15 depending on opponent and you can atleast get 2 lines of level 2 forts long before lines get to your first fort belts.

Again great job Russian moral is low and German options look great for 42.

Even vs Flaviusx I was able to make 10 to 15 hex Blizzard buffer.

Pelton

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Pelton -- 10/29/2011 3:01:24 PM >

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 176
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/29/2011 5:25:56 PM   
ComradeP

Q-Ball, could you post a bug report in the tech report forum about Harpe's promotion?

Also: I'll ask on the tester forum, but using non-combat units (that, I believe, don't have construction values to begin with) to keep fort levels in shape is...not really supposed to happen, I'd guess.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 10/29/2011 5:26:58 PM >

SSG tester
WitE Alpha tester
Panzer Corps Beta tester
Unity of Command scenario designer

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 177
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/29/2011 5:27:23 PM   
Q-Ball

T30: 1/8/42

Pelton/Ketza, I am not out of the woods yet so to speak. There is still more Blizzard ahead of me than behind me, so it's not over. Granted, December is the worst, and after this turn, I can think about February, when defense CVs are almost recovered, and when he will probably think about halting.

Attacks this turn were light; 11 total, 7 of which were successful. There were no attacks at all in front of Moscow, or near Voronezh.

ATTACK COUNTER:
7-4 this turn
96-25 TOTAL

This turn, I lost 66,000 total between attrition and combat. That is my lowest attrition loss so far, which makes sense. The damage from December is about cleared out or repaired by now.

Elsewhere:

Overall, I am just about done committing Infantry Reserves. I have a division left in Kursk, and that's about it, other than reinforcements. I do get a division or two each turn now, so that helps. I am also not counting divisions that are being rotated for REFIT; I have probably 6 or 8 in cities resting and building strength. I plan to keep rotating that way. Also, these numbers don't count my 4-Division "Sturm Corps" that I am saving for March.

About Half my Mobile units haven't moved during Winter, so many are in good shape. The ones that are outside, I am just running them into the ground, because 4 or 5 are below 80 Morale, which means they should be able to recover some in Spring on REFIT.

My only big problem now is that, except for a line in front of Vyazma, I am out of forts from the Valdai Hills to Belgorod. That's a long stretch. I will fall back rather than fight in open ground, and if a bulge develops, so be it.

I expect to lose OREL this Blizzard, and keeping KURSK is probably 50/50. Rhzev and Kaluga are definitely going to be lost. I should hold Kharkov and the Donbas, though.

Fort Zones:

I have tried to be careful and keep Fort Zones out of harm's way. They add little combat value, and are cheap POWs for the Russians if they surrender. So far, I have lost 3 to combat; I have picked-up probably 60-odd otherwise ahead of the Russian advance. I can live with half-dozen or so lost to combat over the Winter.

Combat Result:

Below is the most lopsided Combat Result I have ever seen. In this case, 2 crack Motorized Divisions joined via Reserves, and really decimited the attack. Pretty crazy result. I suppoes it helps that Panzer Corps and Panzer Army have excellent leadership.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Q-Ball -- 10/29/2011 7:07:28 PM >

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 178
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/30/2011 3:50:44 PM   
mmarquo

Why don't you disband the fort unit when they are going to be on the frontline? The combat unit in the fortified hex still receives the fort level bonus and you don't lose the men/material associated with the fort unit?

Marquo

(in reply to Q-Ball)
Post #: 179
RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Ge... - 10/30/2011 5:57:28 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marquo

Why don't you disband the fort unit when they are going to be on the frontline? The combat unit in the fortified hex still receives the fort level bonus and you don't lose the men/material associated with the fort unit?

Marquo

Once a hex has gone beyond level 3, 10%, that is 11+%, it will continue to grow to level 4, 10%, even without a fort in the hex. Likewise, for the adjacent hex benefit, and the initial breaking of the level 2 limit, as long as the hexes are at least level 2, 11%, they will go up to level 3, 10%.

If the TOEs of the forts is kept to 50%, then the loss of them is fairly inconsequential. Especially, if you've taken them off refit after their first turn of sucking replacements. Then, it's a question of how threatened the hexes are versus the cost of 1 AP to disband, and possibly 4 more AP to rebuild another at some point. In fluid situations, obviously, the threat to them is higher, but once a line settles in, it may may sense to accept a bit more risk in them on, or near, the frontlines.

< Message edited by JAMiAM -- 10/30/2011 5:58:35 PM >

(in reply to mmarquo)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Death Ride to Russia: Q-Ball (Axis) v Bletchley Geek (Sov). 1.05 beta Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI