Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mine Type Query - Reluctant Admiral 3.4

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Mine Type Query - Reluctant Admiral 3.4 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mine Type Query - Reluctant Admiral 3.4 - 10/15/2011 2:57:46 PM   
bk19@mweb.co.za

I am currently in the early part of a PBEM of RA 3.4

In the past couple of days I sailed a wolf pack into the Pearl Harbour hex in an attempt to deck a CV fleet languishing there. As I quickly learned, that was not a smart idea as I had a number of close encounters of the unpleasant kind with the minefield.

As part of our discussion on this issue my opponent then ran a test vs the AI and sailed 5 subs into Tokyo harbour with similar results.

From this we can conclude...

1. US mines don't behave like US torpedoes of the same era.
2. US and Japanese mines equally dangerous.

This 'discovery' induced me to have a look see at the weapon type definition in Tracker. I did not expect to find duplicate definitions of what according to the device description are the same thing, yet have dramatically different load and 'Pen' costs.

Is there somebody who could explain what was getting modeled here. It looks odd to me. I believe there is a rational reason for this. I would just like to understand it.

Thanks in advance!

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Mine Type Query - Reluctant Admiral 3.4 - 10/15/2011 4:29:58 PM   
JWE

Devices 001 – 088, and 103 – 145, are vestigial duplicate holdovers from the original WiTP game. They are not used by anything so it’s safe to ignore them.

They show up in Tracker because they have a valid date entry in the Available field. The other duplicate holdovers at device slots 256 – 517, 529 – 697 do not show up because they have a 9999 entry in the Available field.

Believe devices 001 – 088, and 103 – 145 were retained as valid because some of the early small scenarios mistakenly used a couple of these for ship or LCU armament. Should cause no current issues if ignored.

(in reply to bk19@mweb.co.za)
Post #: 2
RE: Mine Type Query - Reluctant Admiral 3.4 - 10/15/2011 10:22:24 PM   
bk19@mweb.co.za

Aha... this was a bit wider scope than I imagined.

Thanks JWE...

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> Mine Type Query - Reluctant Admiral 3.4 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI