Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 6:42:11 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

It is time for CW to begin acting in stead of just reacting. Show us that you are as good and daring attacker with the CW as you are with Axis.

I just tried to say that you can't wait for all that wonderful sea lift before beginning to act on the offensive.The war in USSR might be over by then. You need to prepare for offence now.

Edit: At the moment there is small need for sea lift against Japan. Singapore has its defence already. Australia and India might need more units but you do not need sea lift to reinforce there. Only place that might require sea lift is to get a unit to Burma.

I disagree about having the CW attack everywhere. Driving the Italians out of east Africa I do agree with. But other than that, building strong defenses with land and air units is what I would do. Once a comfort level has been reached that there are not going to be any more invasions by the EuroAxis, then those units can be reassigned to offensive operations. That will probably not happen until after Barbarossa starts. It will be difficult for Germany to commit all the units that it wants into the attack on Russia and at the same time hold the enormous perimeter they have created.

Threatening to do stuff (like strategic bombing) is better than actually doing it. Make Germany keep a lot of fighters in Europe if you want to help out Russia. And only actually commit your strategic bombers when they can go in unopposed. The worst thing that can happen for the CW is to lose their best strategic bomber to a bad die roll. When well placed, a single bomber can threaten factories throughout Germany, France, and northern Italy.

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 1/10/2012 7:05:48 PM >

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 991
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 6:57:45 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Red Prince

The situation in Egypt is dire, but not finished yet. Most of the units to the East of the canal are going to be needed to activate Iraq and conquer Syria. The 2 units shown in the insert, in Greece for the moment, can be brought over fairly safely by the 2 TRS in Bardia, giving Italy a somewhat dominating presence, but they'll still have to fight, and if I've learned anything, it's that anything can happen once the dice are rolled.

Move the 4-2 IND unit one hex west and all the Italian units south of that are OOS. If the Italian units in Transjordan come scrabbling back to attack Wavell, the French can advance and take Jaffa. I do realize this will have to wait until the next Allied impulse when land moves are available.

Steve

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 992
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 7:12:53 PM   
composer99

I agree with Steve: the CW does not yet have the forces to go on the attack on various fronts (especially since they are still on the defensive in their little Suez pocket).

Once the bulk of German armies have left Morocco and Spain for Poland, IMO the CW wants to have forces built up in the UK to invade in Spain to establish a nuisance toehold (with possible expansion once the US is in) and forces building up in Spanish Sahara & the Canary Islands to push back in Morocco (again, with US help in all likelihood).

I also recommend the CW sending a small force of real (non-TERR) units to crush the roving Italian TERR in southeast Africa. CW TERR can then march up East Africa while the CW lands in Anglo-Egypt Sudan (preferably relocating Wavell there as well) and builds up to push back into Egypt.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 993
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 7:29:35 PM   
Centuur

Don't even think about surrendering China in 1940 . If the Japanese conquer China: fine.

Second: the USSR border is looking good until the last turn of 1940 starts. From that turn onwards: sorry Commies: no movements for your units, I need to look at myself... Signed: Uncle Joe.
Starting that turn, you should start moving units away from the border, starting with the precious HQ's and expensive aircraft and MECH/ARM units. If possible: try to screen Odessa in Bessarabia with the goal of getting that factory railmoved out of the place in the first allied impulse of the war (this means defending with double stacks, and that might become difficult).
If Mannerheim opts for a capture of Murmansk, rail another unit to Murmansk and double stack the place. Double stack always in USSR cities with cheap INF units. Retreat the GAR near Leningrad into the city and get that INF out of Hangö to the USSR.
Double stacks in Riga, Kaunas, Vilna and Minsk are difficult to put out of supply (since the ZOC's there will mean the German Panzers cannot move past those cities). A speed bump in Brest Litovsk or Lvov is useless IMHO, since a ground strike in the surprise impulse will disorganise the defenders. Movement of Euroaxis units will than put the defenders out of supply and with only 2 defense points, they will die without doing a lot of good. A defense of the Carpathian mountains is also not advisable (yes, I now, it's double defense points), because of the fact that the Axis can affort to bypass these units, which than means they are out of the action. Also, a double stack in Cernauti might look nice, I usually give it up, in favour of defending further backwards at the Dnjepr river. Only if the USSR has got some land units to spare, I would put a double stack in the place.
I would suggest defending in the Persian/Iraq border mountains and not in the USSR itself. There are only Italian units now at that front and at least 2 Axis HQ's will be needed in the Syrian desert to keep Axis units in Iraq in supply. It isn't that easy to fight through the mountains there towards Teheran and the Turkish-USSR border. 2 double stacks in the Persian mountains with an Russian HQ (Zhukov, I would prefer him to be in Persia) to provide supply should do the trick.
Now: I hear you say: "that's 24 INF/CAV type units you are talking about on the Western European border and in Persia"... Yes it is: so build INF/CAV type units and the coming HQ from now on by the USSR, and nothing else, untill it looks like the USSR can affort it (and believe me, it will take a long time, before you are going to put an MECH or ARM on the spiral for the USSR). Never, use a MECH or ARM for a speedbump. Even with the reserves you are getting (and look closely where they appear, don't make the mistake of having a double stack somewhere, so you can't place a reserve), you should have this kind of a defense in place in M/A next year at the latest...
This is my advice on the defense of the USSR. Preparations should start about... now...

Peter

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 994
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 7:32:28 PM   
Orm

Regardless that CW is to weak to go on the offensive now CW will need to make something in a few turns when Germany is aiming to conquer USSR. Unless CW (and USA) manage to distract the Axis by making some noise then USSR will fold like a badly built gingerbread house in a storm. And the units needed to do that needs to be built now. Territorials to stop the conquest of Africa by a couple of Italian territorials is not going to bother Germany one bit.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 995
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 7:35:04 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

The situation in Egypt is dire, but not finished yet. Most of the units to the East of the canal are going to be needed to activate Iraq and conquer Syria. The 2 units shown in the insert, in Greece for the moment, can be brought over fairly safely by the 2 TRS in Bardia, giving Italy a somewhat dominating presence, but they'll still have to fight, and if I've learned anything, it's that anything can happen once the dice are rolled.

Move the 4-2 IND unit one hex west and all the Italian units south of that are OOS. If the Italian units in Transjordan come scrabbling back to attack Wavell, the French can advance and take Jaffa. I do realize this will have to wait until the next Allied impulse when land moves are available.

That's the general idea. But the troops won't be coming back for Wavell, since he'll then have another INF stacked with him. This is the hope for the CW, that they can keep bringing in just enough units to prevent Italy from mounting a strong attack.

I haven't yet decided if Italy will need a Land, Naval or Combined Action to start with. It probably will be Land or Combined, since half the Italian navy was not able to reorganize. Too much Oil was needed, and Italy used up all of its navy in the Gibraltar and Egypt attacks, disorganizing practically everyone. The Combined Action would let the Italians load the TRS with 2 units, plus block the 4-2 unit from ZOCing the supply lines. The Land Action is probably less likely, since S/O should give this region pretty good weather most of the turn, and that means more time to get the job done here.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 996
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 7:49:24 PM   
Centuur

On the CW issue: I would suggest rebuilding Gort next turn (an HQ is always important). Also: I would wait and see what the Germans will do in regard of the French still being in Morocco. In Egypt: it sure looks like a nice move with that MIL, however: Wavell is going to get attacked with a 3-1 against him, if the Italians use the airplanes in ground support, together with the MECH and the HQ stack. And that's not so very nice, IMHO. No: keep that double stack in place, blocking Italian access to the Red Sea for the moment.

I agree with Steve that the only place the CW can start going on the offense is East Africa. I would suggest the TRS of the HQ in Britain, together with the MECH and some INF towards that area. Together with some TERR already in the area, you get a force of about 5 units, who should be able to eliminate those few nasty Italian TERR and can than start moving north.

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 997
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 8:03:50 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

On the CW issue: I would suggest rebuilding Gort next turn (an HQ is always important). Also: I would wait and see what the Germans will do in regard of the French still being in Morocco. In Egypt: it sure looks like a nice move with that MIL, however: Wavell is going to get attacked with a 3-1 against him, if the Italians use the airplanes in ground support, together with the MECH and the HQ stack. And that's not so very nice, IMHO. No: keep that double stack in place, blocking Italian access to the Red Sea for the moment.

I agree with Steve that the only place the CW can start going on the offense is East Africa. I would suggest the TRS of the HQ in Britain, together with the MECH and some INF towards that area. Together with some TERR already in the area, you get a force of about 5 units, who should be able to eliminate those few nasty Italian TERR and can than start moving north.

The 3rd impulse (Allied) will allow the 4-2 to move to another hex (probably southeast) AND have a reinforcement debark into Suez. With so much of the fleet in Aden, I can spare a few of those units to provide them with Defensive Shore Bombardment. I took Steve's advice a few pages ago to heart. Make the Italians work to win Egypt . . . or Suez, at least.

The only problem here is that the Italians, if they wish, can reinstate supply to any units along the Red Sea, by flying the NAV out there. Unless the CW commits a lot of AA factors, it's unlikely to get aborted. There are 2 TERR units in the Horn of Africa at the moment that would benfit from this. I also intend to build more TERR units with Italy, along with ship repairs each turn. Italy knows the CW can easily start taking back Africa, and the more "speed bump" TERR it puts in the way, the better off it will be.

If Italy does manage to take Suez, which is looking more difficult now, then the CW might have a problem with an East Africa attack. They could get bogged down, and Italy would be fine if that happened anywhere short of Eritrea and/or Somaliland.

The problem with sending the HQ from the UK to S. Africa is that I may need him to reorganize as many as 8 Convoys . . . if I want to reset my pipelines this turn. I'm not going to start playing this turn for a day or two, because I want to really examine the map to see what is possible, when it is possible, and what should be the priorities here.

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/10/2012 8:04:40 PM >

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it!
-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 998
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 8:06:09 PM   
Centuur

quote:

Regardless that CW is to weak to go on the offensive now CW will need to make something in a few turns when Germany is aiming to conquer USSR. Unless CW (and USA) manage to distract the Axis by making some noise then USSR will fold like a badly built gingerbread house in a storm. And the units needed to do that needs to be built now. Territorials to stop the conquest of Africa by a couple of Italian territorials is not going to bother Germany one bit.

True. However the CW can't affort to let those TERR to continue grabbing nations in Africa. They should be stopped. Also: what if the Axis suddenly decide on invading the UK? They are capable of putting 5 corps into the place if they are really lucky. First things first: if the German airforce, the PARA and the Italian TRS aren't in a position for a Sealion end of this turn, the CW can look at building another strategic bomber this turn, together with some FTR2 two turns later, to keep the Axis FTR's in Western Europe next spring. Also: are there enough convoy points available to the CW? He should aim for putting a line in place towards Murmansk in the USSR, because the USSR should rail one or two factories there for the resources the CW is going to lend to them. I would suggest building some convoys this turn, since they take 4 turns to arrive and that's about the time the USSR will be at war.

Peter

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 999
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 8:15:38 PM   
Centuur

Also: I noticed that the CW units in Singapore aren't in a double stack. Put those two units together in Singapore. Single stacks are quite vulnerable in this game (as you should know by now). And how is the Indian - Burmese - Chinese border looking? There might be a Japanese invasion coming from China along the Birma road, if Kunming falls. Units are needed there in the mountains. If there isn't anyone there now, I might be tempted as the Japanese to start walking towards Calcutta if I go to war with the USA anyhow...
Did anyone say it's time for the CW to start looking at some offensive capabilities?

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 1000
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 8:16:59 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

quote:

True. However the CW can't affort to let those TERR to continue grabbing nations in Africa. They should be stopped. Also: what if the Axis suddenly decide on invading the UK? They are capable of putting 5 corps into the place if they are really lucky. First things first: if the German airforce, the PARA and the Italian TRS aren't in a position for a Sealion end of this turn, the CW can look at building another strategic bomber this turn, together with some FTR2 two turns later, to keep the Axis FTR's in Western Europe next spring. Also: are there enough convoy points available to the CW? He should aim for putting a line in place towards Murmansk in the USSR, because the USSR should rail one or two factories there for the resources the CW is going to lend to them. I would suggest building some convoys this turn, since they take 4 turns to arrive and that's about the time the USSR will be at war.

That's one of the things I intend to study . . . the convoy situation . . . between France and the CW, I know I have close to 20 convoys waiting in ports around the world, to replace losses aas needed. What I have to do is figure out how to move my pipelines back out of the Cape St. Vincent and Bay of Biscay sea areas with what I've got. That means going through Faeroes Gap. I'll probably still need to keep it running through the North Atlantic for now, but the Italian SUBs are fairly short ranged. It's only when Germany finally gets its SUB force up to snuff that I'll surely need to pull out of the North Atlantic.

As I said, I need to study this, but I think I've got enough to do it . . . that doesn't mean I shouldn't add convoys as builds. It just means it might not be urgent yet. It's going to be a while before I'm able to send any RP to the USSR anyway, given US Entry requirements. That could change, though. I began the game with a plan to build 1 CP per turn with the CW regardless of what was going on, but I kind of abandoned that.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 1001
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 8:26:37 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

Also: I noticed that the CW units in Singapore aren't in a double stack. Put those two units together in Singapore. Single stacks are quite vulnerable in this game (as you should know by now). And how is the Indian - Burmese - Chinese border looking? There might be a Japanese invasion coming from China along the Birma road, if Kunming falls. Units are needed there in the mountains. If there isn't anyone there now, I might be tempted as the Japanese to start walking towards Calcutta if I go to war with the USA anyhow...
Did anyone say it's time for the CW to start looking at some offensive capabilities?

There is a perfectly valid reason why the units in Malaya aren't in a double-stack. They were both in Kuala Lumpur until they had to take out the Partisan. after that, I left the white-print in Singapore, moved the fast INF back to Kuala Lumpur in preparation to be loaded on the Liner to go elsewhere. Why waste a fast INF on Garrison duty, particularly when there is a GARR in Calcutta that could take its place.

Unfortunately, the CW plans fell apart and the Liner was needed elsewhere. Also, I didn't have enough land moves to return the INF to Singapore last turn.

As for the Chinese border, in the posts I created this morning, I showed or described the position of every single land unit the CW has on the map. Review them and decide for yourself what that means. The problem I've had with the CW the last two turns regarding land units is that I've been forced to react to Axis aggression. If I hadn't, 1/3 of the RN would now be stranded in the Med. At the same time, I still needed to make some land moves . . . that meant more Combined Actions than I would normally like to take. I haven't had a "spare" Land Move for the CW since J/F '40, so southeast Asia hasn't really changed at all since then.

(This also hinders plans to move up East Africa, but I'm hoping that I can eventuatlly get the fleet organized correctly, allowing for more Land Actions).

All of those failed Naval Actions have taken a toll on the CW, not only in lost ships and surviving enemy ships, but in terms of lost Land Actions, too.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 1002
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 8:30:02 PM   
Centuur

If the Germans attack the USSR, the first option the USA have to take is that they sent resources to the USSR. Only if War Appropriations can be chosen at that moment, the USA should do that. Uncle Stalin wouldn't be pleased if the precious factories he's railed into Murmansk in the first turn aren't going to be filled with CW/US resources as soon as possible. He needs them a lot...

By the way: take into account what I've written about USSR deployment (post 994) also, when contemplating what to do...

Peter

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1003
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 8:34:57 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

Don't even think about surrendering China in 1940 . If the Japanese conquer China: fine.

Second: the USSR border is looking good until the last turn of 1940 starts. From that turn onwards: sorry Commies: no movements for your units, I need to look at myself... Signed: Uncle Joe.
Starting that turn, you should start moving units away from the border, starting with the precious HQ's and expensive aircraft and MECH/ARM units. If possible: try to screen Odessa in Bessarabia with the goal of getting that factory railmoved out of the place in the first allied impulse of the war (this means defending with double stacks, and that might become difficult).
If Mannerheim opts for a capture of Murmansk, rail another unit to Murmansk and double stack the place. Double stack always in USSR cities with cheap INF units. Retreat the GAR near Leningrad into the city and get that INF out of Hangö to the USSR.
Double stacks in Riga, Kaunas, Vilna and Minsk are difficult to put out of supply (since the ZOC's there will mean the German Panzers cannot move past those cities). A speed bump in Brest Litovsk or Lvov is useless IMHO, since a ground strike in the surprise impulse will disorganise the defenders. Movement of Euroaxis units will than put the defenders out of supply and with only 2 defense points, they will die without doing a lot of good. A defense of the Carpathian mountains is also not advisable (yes, I now, it's double defense points), because of the fact that the Axis can affort to bypass these units, which than means they are out of the action. Also, a double stack in Cernauti might look nice, I usually give it up, in favour of defending further backwards at the Dnjepr river. Only if the USSR has got some land units to spare, I would put a double stack in the place.
I would suggest defending in the Persian/Iraq border mountains and not in the USSR itself. There are only Italian units now at that front and at least 2 Axis HQ's will be needed in the Syrian desert to keep Axis units in Iraq in supply. It isn't that easy to fight through the mountains there towards Teheran and the Turkish-USSR border. 2 double stacks in the Persian mountains with an Russian HQ (Zhukov, I would prefer him to be in Persia) to provide supply should do the trick.
Now: I hear you say: "that's 24 INF/CAV type units you are talking about on the Western European border and in Persia"... Yes it is: so build INF/CAV type units and the coming HQ from now on by the USSR, and nothing else, untill it looks like the USSR can affort it (and believe me, it will take a long time, before you are going to put an MECH or ARM on the spiral for the USSR). Never, use a MECH or ARM for a speedbump. Even with the reserves you are getting (and look closely where they appear, don't make the mistake of having a double stack somewhere, so you can't place a reserve), you should have this kind of a defense in place in M/A next year at the latest...
This is my advice on the defense of the USSR. Preparations should start about... now...

This is all good stuff regarding the Soviet defenses. I've been trying to go down through the USSR AIO thread, but I have to say it's insanely long and hard to maintain my focus, since I'm looking for specific thoughts . . . and it was built to look at numerous strategies, so thank you for these suggestions.

I don't think 24 units will be a problem at all. I've been building heavily on INF in particular. I actually only built the MOT this last turn because I was starting to run low on INF units . . . and while I could build divisions if I ran out, I think I have only 3 INF left in my Force Pool, with 2 turns to go before more arrive. I won't be building any more Pilots at this point. That last one that I built was to take the last aircraft out of the reserve pool and get it onto the map.
-----
I've reviewed the German AIO thread for Garrison positions/priorities in conquered countries. What I'd like to know now, though is how many should be pure GARR units, how many need to be strong and fast, and how many can be dinky expendable MIL units?

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 1004
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 8:41:59 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

If the Germans attack the USSR, the first option the USA have to take is that they sent resources to the USSR. Only if War Appropriations can be chosen at that moment, the USA should do that. Uncle Stalin wouldn't be pleased if the precious factories he's railed into Murmansk in the first turn aren't going to be filled with CW/US resources as soon as possible. He needs them a lot...

By the way: take into account what I've written about USSR deployment (post 994) also, when contemplating what to do...

See the above post regarding deployment.

If I take Resources to USSR, it's an 80% chance of moving a chit to the Tension Pool. Those pools are as high as they should be right now (higher, really). If the chit draw is one of the higher ones, then the USA could end up adding as much as a year to the time it takes to enter the war. (That's just a guess). With Japanese Entry at 20 right now, I am not comortable making any more picks with so high a chance of moving a chit.

Right now the only Entry Option I'm going to take at the end of this turn is Chinese Build Aircraft . . . for two reasons:

1. If China does get conquered this turn, unless I pick this now, China will never be able to build aircraft (I think).
2. I can reduce the Tension Roll to '0' and not risk moving a chit.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 1005
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 8:49:27 PM   
Centuur

quote:

quote:

There is a perfectly valid reason why the units in Malaya aren't in a double-stack. They were both in Kuala Lumpur until they had to take out the Partisan. after that, I left the white-print in Singapore, moved the fast INF back to Kuala Lumpur in preparation to be loaded on the Liner to go elsewhere. Why waste a fast INF on Garrison duty, particularly when there is a GARR in Calcutta that could take its place.

Unfortunately, the CW plans fell apart and the Liner was needed elsewhere. Also, I didn't have enough land moves to return the INF to Singapore last turn.

As for the Chinese border, in the posts I created this morning, I showed or described the position of every single land unit the CW has on the map. Review them and decide for yourself what that means. The problem I've had with the CW the last two turns regarding land units is that I've been forced to react to Axis aggression. If I hadn't, 1/3 of the RN would now be stranded in the Med. At the same time, I still needed to make some land moves . . . that meant more Combined Actions than I would normally like to take. I haven't had a "spare" Land Move for the CW since J/F '40, so southeast Asia hasn't really changed at all since then.

(This also hinders plans to move up East Africa, but I'm hoping that I can eventuatlly get the fleet organized correctly, allowing for more Land Actions).

All of those failed Naval Actions have taken a toll on the CW, not only in lost ships and surviving enemy ships, but in terms of lost Land Actions, too.

Things aren't easy at all, for the CW, are they? It seems that he never gets enough units in the right place at the right time in the first couple of years of the war. The trick is to aim to get those units in place at the time they are needed somewhere. Now, on India, there's still time left, however it's not much. I figure next spring those units should be in place there, since the next turns are normally short turns. Aim for M/A to get those INF units in place (not easy, but it should be doable). Anyway: I didn't want to give the impression that those units in Singapore should double stack now, but they should in the next couple of turns. So if a land impulse comes around: move them together.
In the past, I started to have pen and paper ready when we played the game. I kept making notes of things I needed to do (especially when playing the CW), because it's so very easy to forget a unit or two which aren't in a interesting theater. I write this to show you how very difficult WiF really is. At the end of every movement phase (naval or land) I checked the list, if I didn't forget moving some unit.
In the case of the game you are playing: one of the things on my list would have been: "move US SUB's toward Pacific" or "move Italian TERR". These kind of notes. And as long as I should do them, that note stayed on the list. Only things you might easily forget. When I first started making those notes, the other players laughed at me. However: later they all had pen and paper around... You see: I like to win...

Peter

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1006
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 8:58:06 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

quote:

quote:

Things aren't easy at all, for the CW, are they? It seems that he never gets enough units in the right place at the right time in the first couple of years of the war. The trick is to aim to get those units in place at the time they are needed somewhere. Now, on India, there's still time left, however it's not much. I figure next spring those units should be in place there, since the next turns are normally short turns. Aim for M/A to get those INF units in place (not easy, but it should be doable). Anyway: I didn't want to give the impression that those units in Singapore should double stack now, but they should in the next couple of turns. So if a land impulse comes around: move them together.

I don't think this should be a problem. Now that I've got the primary air units I want in progress and now that I've got no TERR at risk of being built for the enemy, I'll be building 3 land units, either 2 INF and a TERR or the other way around for the next two turns. That should get me 2-3 more units in India, at least.

quote:

In the past, I started to have pen and paper ready when we played the game. I kept making notes of things I needed to do (especially when playing the CW), because it's so very easy to forget a unit or two which aren't in a interesting theater. I write this to show you how very difficult WiF really is. At the end of every movement phase (naval or land) I checked the list, if I didn't forget moving some unit.
In the case of the game you are playing: one of the things on my list would have been: "move US SUB's toward Pacific" or "move Italian TERR". These kind of notes. And as long as I should do them, that note stayed on the list. Only things you might easily forget. When I first started making those notes, the other players laughed at me. However: later they all had pen and paper around... You see: I like to win...

This is something I've been doing as part of my testing. My most recent note to myself was "Don't forget to get Victory Form screenshots!" but most of them are more useful, like where a loaded TRS is intending to go when I know I won't have another Naval Move for 3-4 impulses . . . or when it's going to finish its move as part of the End of Turn return to base.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 1007
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 8:58:26 PM   
Centuur

quote:

quote:

If I take Resources to USSR, it's an 80% chance of moving a chit to the Tension Pool. Those pools are as high as they should be right now (higher, really). If the chit draw is one of the higher ones, then the USA could end up adding as much as a year to the time it takes to enter the war. (That's just a guess). With Japanese Entry at 20 right now, I am not comortable making any more picks with so high a chance of moving a chit.

Right now the only Entry Option I'm going to take at the end of this turn is Chinese Build Aircraft . . . for two reasons:

1. If China does get conquered this turn, unless I pick this now, China will never be able to build aircraft (I think).

From RAW (how nice it is to have a electronic version of the thing available on the net...):

"When the US is at war with every unconquered Axis major power, you
are treated as having chosen every entry option (except US entry
option 44)".

I don't know if it is my English (it probably is), but I don't mean that you have to choose the USSR option now. You can wait a bit. However: the turn Barbarossa starts: it is War Appropriations Bill passed. If that's not possible: you should choose the option of lending resources towards the USSR. It's the only alternative at that moment IMHO. The railed factories in Murmansk should be fed with resources the moment they are available for production. And that's two turns after they have been railed into the city. So if you don't choose either option at that moment, and the next turn you can do the War Appropriations Bill, the USSR is going to lose two very precious build points. And believe me, Uncle Joe will be just as nasty as in the real war. Uncle Joe always want more resources from the Western Allies...
Well, I'm going to bed now. Tomorrow another very, very busy day at the office...

Peter

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1008
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 9:03:45 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

quote:

quote:

From RAW (how nice it is to have a electronic version of the thing available on the net...):

"When the US is at war with every unconquered Axis major power, you
are treated as having chosen every entry option (except US entry
option 44)".

I don't know if it is my English (it probably is), but I don't mean that you have to choose the USSR option now. You can wait a bit. However: the turn Barbarossa starts: it is War Appropriations Bill passed. If that's not possible: you should choose the option of lending resources towards the USSR. It's the only alternative at that moment IMHO. The railed factories in Murmansk should be fed with resources the moment they are available for production. And that's two turns after they have been railed into the city. So if you don't choose either option at that moment, and the next turn you can do the War Appropriations Bill, the USSR is going to lose two very precious build points. And believe me, Uncle Joe will be just as nasty as in the real war. Uncle Joe always want more resources from the Western Allies...
Well, I'm going to bed now. Tomorrow another very, very busy day at the office...

Sleep easy, Centuur.

Just to clarify, the reason I think I may not get to auto-select that option is based on 2 other options that aren't auto-selected under certain circumstances:

4. The Bearn, if not on-map and with Paris under Allid control, is not automatically selected.
24. Re-Open Burm Road, if it hasn't been closed, it is not automatically selected.

Therefore, I'm wondering . . . if China no longer exists, how can you auto-select the option for it to build aircraft?

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 1009
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 9:39:04 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

Just to clarify, the reason I think I may not get to auto-select that option is based on 2 other options that aren't auto-selected under certain circumstances:

4. The Bearn, if not on-map and with Paris under Allid control, is not automatically selected.
24. Re-Open Burm Road, if it hasn't been closed, it is not automatically selected.

Therefore, I'm wondering . . . if China no longer exists, how can you auto-select the option for it to build aircraft?

You can, at least you should be able to, per the FAQ.

Q.13.3-3 With the exception of re-opening an unopened Burma Road, may the US choose Entry Options for the purpose of generating tension even when other events have made the effect of the option redundant or even inoperative?
Example 1: choosing Option 43, CW Reinforces the Netherlands East Indies, after the CW is at war with Japan)
Example 2: choosing Option 24, Re-open Burma Road after the road was opened and then closed militarily.)

A. Yes.

Of course in the case of the Bearn, the entry action gives the prerequisites and Paris is not Allied controlled so it's out.

Edit: Of course for the auto-select on a DoW, all (but the N. Ireland one) are chosen but may not make a difference. Mind you, China could be liberated...

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 1/10/2012 9:41:57 PM >

Paul

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1010
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 10:08:48 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's the general idea. But the troops won't be coming back for Wavell, since he'll then have another INF stacked with him. This is the hope for the CW, that they can keep bringing in just enough units to prevent Italy from mounting a strong attack.

I haven't yet decided if Italy will need a Land, Naval or Combined Action to start with. It probably will be Land or Combined, since half the Italian navy was not able to reorganize. Too much Oil was needed, and Italy used up all of its navy in the Gibraltar and Egypt attacks, disorganizing practically everyone. The Combined Action would let the Italians load the TRS with 2 units, plus block the 4-2 unit from ZOCing the supply lines. The Land Action is probably less likely, since S/O should give this region pretty good weather most of the turn, and that means more time to get the job done here.

But Italy did have 33 points available to attack Suez. They should have done so immediately instead of wandering far afield. Leaving units in supply in your rear areas is a recipe for disaster. Especially if they can be reinforced (as the CW can here). Dreams of Iraq should be set aside until after the real work is done.

Steve

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1011
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 10:12:28 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

The 3rd impulse (Allied) will allow the 4-2 to move to another hex (probably southeast) AND have a reinforcement debark into Suez. With so much of the fleet in Aden, I can spare a few of those units to provide them with Defensive Shore Bombardment. I took Steve's advice a few pages ago to heart. Make the Italians work to win Egypt . . . or Suez, at least.

The only problem here is that the Italians, if they wish, can reinstate supply to any units along the Red Sea, by flying the NAV out there. Unless the CW commits a lot of AA factors, it's unlikely to get aborted. There are 2 TERR units in the Horn of Africa at the moment that would benfit from this. I also intend to build more TERR units with Italy, along with ship repairs each turn. Italy knows the CW can easily start taking back Africa, and the more "speed bump" TERR it puts in the way, the better off it will be.

If Italy does manage to take Suez, which is looking more difficult now, then the CW might have a problem with an East Africa attack. They could get bogged down, and Italy would be fine if that happened anywhere short of Eritrea and/or Somaliland.

The problem with sending the HQ from the UK to S. Africa is that I may need him to reorganize as many as 8 Convoys . . . if I want to reset my pipelines this turn. I'm not going to start playing this turn for a day or two, because I want to really examine the map to see what is possible, when it is possible, and what should be the priorities here.

No. Having an Axis NAV in the Red Sea does nothing for the Italian supply in Egypt. They would need full control of the Suez Canal to trace back to Italy.

Steve

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1012
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 10:28:05 PM   
composer99

I should like to re-emphasize my suggestion that CW real units (non-TERR) be used to crush the Italian territorial which is being a nuisance. The CW TERR can make the long slog up the East African coast. The CW real units can land on the plentiful beaches of Sudan or Egypt (the mountains on the coast north of Thebes are promising), facing most likely just 2-factor notional units (1 factor doubled).

To deal with Axis airpower in the Red Sea, until the Axis brings in actual FTR the CW carriers with Gladiatiors should suffice.

~ Composer99

Post #: 1013
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 10:57:01 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

But Italy did have 33 points available to attack Suez. They should have done so immediately instead of wandering far afield. Leaving units in supply in your rear areas is a recipe for disaster. Especially if they can be reinforced (as the CW can here). Dreams of Iraq should be set aside until after the real work is done.

You are mistaken, Steve. I didn't have 33 points. I had 25. The 6 points in the south weren't in supply until the new turn, and the Cairo MIL just came in as a reinforcement. I suppose I had 27, maybe, if you include the German LND. But then it's 3:1-1 odds, and I wouldn't have conquered Palestine or Transjordan. Now I'll end up with 43 + more air support coming, plus Iraq and Syria soon.
-----
Edit: And I have a very specific reason that I want to activate Iraq ASAP, which I know will make you all cry out in anger, but there it is. I'm not going to tell you what it is, because you'll tell me how it can be countered. I know how it can be countered, but if you aren't expecting it, then neither is my Allied side . . . fuzzy logic there, but it makes sense to me.

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/10/2012 11:04:54 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 1014
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 10:59:02 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

quote:

quote:

No. Having an Axis NAV in the Red Sea does nothing for the Italian supply in Egypt. They would need full control of the Suez Canal to trace back to Italy.

You're right. I forgot about that.

-Lazarus Long, RAH

Post #: 1015
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 11:01:27 PM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

I should like to re-emphasize my suggestion that CW real units (non-TERR) be used to crush the Italian territorial which is being a nuisance. The CW TERR can make the long slog up the East African coast. The CW real units can land on the plentiful beaches of Sudan or Egypt (the mountains on the coast north of Thebes are promising), facing most likely just 2-factor notional units (1 factor doubled).

To deal with Axis airpower in the Red Sea, until the Axis brings in actual FTR the CW carriers with Gladiatiors should suffice.

Amphibious rules. No landings in Sudan or Egypt until I've got an AMPH to use.

I'm fine with using "real" units to crush that TERR, but if I do, they have to come from somewhere . . .

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1016
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/10/2012 11:38:39 PM   
composer99

Hey, I'm not saying you want to do those things right away. Once you've got some forces assembled will be fine.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1017
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/11/2012 6:14:28 AM   
Red Prince

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

Hey, I'm not saying you want to do those things right away. Once you've got some forces assembled will be fine.

Re-using this image, forget the numbers. Given what I said about planned INF and TERR builds for the next 2 turns (2 and 1), I'll have RSA and Indian forces available by early 1941 to begin this particular project (sending "real" units up the E. Africa coast).

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 1018
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/11/2012 4:36:02 PM   
Red Prince

Nobody has commented on it yet, so I'd like to ask again:

What type and/or variety of units should be used for Garrison duties? Particularly on the west European coast (anti-invasion). Anti-partisan garrisons will mostly be made up of SS units, I imagine (the cheap/free ones), and MTN units, for the doubled value.

However, I do plan to use my white-print MTN and a MTN Division to stay in Gibraltar, either with another MTN or with the Berlin MIL.

< Message edited by Red Prince -- 1/11/2012 4:37:15 PM >

-Lazarus Long, RAH

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1019
RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) - 1/11/2012 5:19:01 PM   
composer99

SS MIL, GARR and maybe the 6-3 SS INF from 1939 are decent garrison units. Regular GARR and MIL are also good

Right now, given the small CW army you don't need a strong anti-invasion defence. Just cover up the cities on the coast and key ports. Italian and Rumanian HQs are good for maintaining supply in Western Europe outside the range of the capital cities.

MTN units are actually better off used for winter operations in USSR where they are winterized.

Edit: Also, garrisons against invasion do double-duty against partisans.

More Edit: Also, because you want to defend against port attacks on surface fleets in France & Portugal, you will want to base FTR to defend any of Brest, Bordeaux, Gibraltar or Lisbon that you have surface fleets based in. These also contribute to anti-partisan garrison while organized.

< Message edited by composer99 -- 1/11/2012 5:23:24 PM >

~ Composer99

(in reply to Red Prince)
Post #: 1020
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: MWiF Global War Hot-Seat (AAR) Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI