Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Sillyflower,SF welcome)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Sillyflower,SF welcome) Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Sillyflow... - 11/17/2011 5:06:45 AM   
Baelfiin

Starting this AAR on russian turn 53, going into the summer campaign season, (fixed weather).
I am trying to figure out how I am going to stop the German Panzer horde, SF is doing a great job so far at playing pac man, chewing me to death one or two stacks at a time. Fun times are over for me now as the germans will have 13 or 14 clear weather turns.

This is the situation that matters, the rest of the front has gone completely static. There is no more space to trade for time like in 41 ( well there is but its a long way to berlin as it stands), and the Germans can create a break in the line anywhere they want if they are close to it with panzers. My dilemma is how do I come up with some sort of line to limit the damage from the german push and offer me the most opportunity to punish the german attackers. The removal of the 1-1 rule makes it very difficult to take on german panzer stacks, and dug in german infantry can be difficult to get at especially if you only have two sides to go to work on them from.
Comments/suggestions welcome

Attachment (1)

"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha
The Logistics Phase is like Black Magic and Voodoo all rolled into one.
Post #: 1
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/17/2011 5:18:05 AM   
Baelfiin

And the obligatory screen for the numbercrunchers and beancounters

Attachment (1)

"We are going to attack all night, and attack tomorrow morning..... If we are not victorious, let no one come back alive!" -- Patton
WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 2
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/17/2011 6:34:21 AM   
gingerbread

As I see it, the game in June '42 is still only yours not to loose. You have no margin in trucks, and that will not change for the better until 15 or so turns into '43. I would not be surprised if you are forced to de-mechanize after the fall mud - might be better to do it before.

He needs a couple of pockets with good numbers to feel comfortable with how '43 will play. Maybe aim the panzers for Tula - then he can at any time turn them west and threaten to create a pocket. He writes the agenda. Keep Tank Corps together to deny use of single stack pz/mot. But you don't want to have to use them due to cost in trucks.

There should be some SU that have use for those 85mm AA in an AT role, apart from that there is no room for any cool toys.
I think he is concerned with his attrition losses, interesting structure of his line east of Sumy.

Looses ramblings, I'm afraid. I haven't played a human this late so no tried and found working tricks to teach.

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 3
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/19/2011 2:47:40 PM   
Baelfiin

Turn 54

While there is a gaping hole in my lines, there are no pockets to cry over. Overall I am releived, but now the german juggernaught is completely out in the open.
Lots of opportunities to counterattack, but I am very leery of getting it stuck in to early. At first glance, my initial thinking is run for the Don and the Chir.
I can't afford to lose any counters, especially when they can't acheive anything decisive.

Suggestions?

Attachment (1)

WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 4
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/19/2011 2:53:01 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: Baelfiin

Starting this AAR on russian turn 53, going into the summer campaign season, (fixed weather).
I am trying to figure out how I am going to stop the German Panzer horde, SF is doing a great job so far at playing pac man, chewing me to death one or two stacks at a time. Fun times are over for me now as the germans will have 13 or 14 clear weather turns.

This is the situation that matters, the rest of the front has gone completely static. There is no more space to trade for time like in 41 ( well there is but its a long way to berlin as it stands), and the Germans can create a break in the line anywhere they want if they are close to it with panzers. My dilemma is how do I come up with some sort of line to limit the damage from the german push and offer me the most opportunity to punish the german attackers. The removal of the 1-1 rule makes it very difficult to take on german panzer stacks, and dug in german infantry can be difficult to get at especially if you only have two sides to go to work on them from.
Comments/suggestions welcome

I'm glad I did not see this until after pinging back my turn. Either I would have given up in despair at the seething masses 6 deep, or else I might have attacked more efficiently.
An unpleasant suprise to see B has 370K arms point stored and 250K children and old men left. B has lost 43HI and 79Arms. Latter is said on the forum to be a big loss but does not seem like it, or does Russian run out of arms point later?
Glad to see loss of 18 vehicles is makng a difference, however trivial.
As it was I have created a large hernia in B's lines but sadly no pockets. I exploited his lack of forts from a previous clear out I had done

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 11/19/2011 3:10:08 PM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 5
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/19/2011 2:53:45 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

Turn 54

While there is a gaping hole in my lines, there are no pockets to cry over. Overall I am releived, but now the german juggernaught is completely out in the open.
Lots of opportunities to counterattack, but I am very leery of getting it stuck in to early. At first glance, my initial thinking is run for the Don and the Chir.
I can't afford to lose any counters, especially when they can't acheive anything decisive.

Suggestions?

Surrender my friend. I promise to let you and your daughter Svetlana live the rest of your life in America. Not a great offer I know but no decent country would have a dictator like you. Still I'm sure I will be able to bring about some improvements after I conquer it.

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 11/19/2011 3:14:43 PM >

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 6
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/19/2011 5:57:22 PM   
Baelfiin

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

quote:

Turn 54

Suggestions?

Surrender my friend. I promise to let you and your daughter Svetlana live the rest of your life in America. Not a great offer I know but no decent country would have a dictator like you. Still I'm sure I will be able to bring about some improvements after I conquer it.

As it was I have created a large hernia in B's lines but sadly no pockets. I exploited his lack of forts from a previous clear out I had done

The meta game of sillyflower has reached new heights (or should i say lows?) I could be luring you into a big trap, and this entire thread could be a campaign of disinformation designed to lead you into strategic blunders........

WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 7
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/19/2011 6:19:42 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

The meta game of sillyflower has reached new heights (or should i say lows?) I could be luring you into a big trap, and this entire thread could be a campaign of disinformation designed to lead you into strategic blunders........

You can't beat me at my own metagame m8.

web exchange

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 8
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/21/2011 1:53:38 PM   
Baelfiin

This is the defense I came up with . I failed 3 attacks on the south side of the Zit which is going to cost me everyone involved. As you can see I chicken out and come up with a pretty thick if unimaginative carpet. 16 units plus a corp going to be dead because of my incompetence.

Attachment (1)

WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha

Post #: 9
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/21/2011 2:05:54 PM   
Baelfiin

As expected Pac-Man strikes again.
Consider it an early Xmas gift SF, everything else we send is going to be gift wrapped in steel

Attachment (1)

WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 10
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/21/2011 6:34:54 PM   
sillyflower

As B published his production, I thought I would return the favour -German only filter. I need more Hiwis!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 11/21/2011 6:43:52 PM >

web exchange

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 11
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/21/2011 7:00:04 PM   
sillyflower

Continuing the uniquely live, open AAR

Nana nana
Nana nana
Nana nana
Pacman

Holy Pockets, Pacman!!! We can't let the evil Baelfiin and his cruel, cowardly cardboard creations make life a misery for the good people of Stalingrad City any longer !!!!!! (Robin Manstein thumps fist into glove)

It's all right, Robin. The only surrounding on this thread will be by pure Krupp steel.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 11/21/2011 7:17:22 PM >

web exchange

Post #: 12
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/21/2011 9:08:27 PM   
Baelfiin

I know why you defended so well now, I forgot to carpet bomb you.

A mistake I will not make again !!

WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha

Post #: 13
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/22/2011 11:36:14 PM   
sillyflower

LIVE from the front

The Pacman cometh, but with care as Baelfiin can be ferocious on the counter-offensive

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 11/22/2011 11:40:28 PM >

web exchange

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 14
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/22/2011 11:38:58 PM   
sillyflower

The Old Dog's teeth are sharper than the middle-aged bear's claws - at least for now

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post #: 15
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/23/2011 1:49:52 AM   
Baelfiin

Don't get too excited =p
That pocket from last turn was a gimme ..... you gunna have to work for them from now on !!!
Here is what I defended with (pic below).... SF's kickass phase is pictured above.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Baelfiin -- 11/23/2011 1:57:16 AM >

WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha

Post #: 16
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/23/2011 2:10:09 AM   
Baelfiin

Start of turn 56: July 9th, 1942.

And this is what I have to go to work with........ 50 points worth of dudes surrounded and dead next turn. No major breakout. Situation Shaky.

Obviously going to pound the *%^ out of the rumanians and hungarians that are exposed on the north and south... Other than that I am going to reign myself in and not start going crazy with counterattacks... thats how this mess started to begin with !!

Attachment (1)

WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 17
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/24/2011 12:03:22 AM   
sillyflower

quote:

Start of turn 56: July 9th, 1942.

And this is what I have to go to work with........ 50 points worth of dudes surrounded and dead next turn.

65 APs worth dead after 3 shatters. Another 65 points worth surrounded this turn IIRC after more careful ant-herding. I'm sure my esteemed () opponent will post the screenie

On another thread Mr B said I should man the Dnepr line. I think that's to the right somewher so I hope to get there after eating some more of his tasty little offerings.

web exchange

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 18
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/24/2011 7:24:38 AM   
Baelfiin

Another turn, another pocket.

No corp units lost in so not a big deal.
I chew on a german infantry division with several Gds Rifle corps.

Manpower/Arms filtered to active pool.

Pic for beancounters

Attachment (1)

WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha

Post #: 19
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/24/2011 4:47:36 PM   
gingerbread

Thanks! Numbers are indeed crunchy, but no good substitute for frog legs in chocolate.

However, you left out some important ones in the Turn 57 shots - the ones about trucks in units/needed in units and pool need.

We can see that trucks lost (all flavours) has increased by 12 715 during the 5 turns. There has been an production/LL of roughly 1 300/turn = 6 500.
Repair pool has decreased by 7 000. This gives a total increase of ca 1 000 active trucks so you are no worse than in Turn 53.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 20
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/24/2011 5:06:47 PM   
Baelfiin

I will post for 58, one of the great things about this game is there are so many numbers to look at 8)

WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha

(in reply to gingerbread)
Post #: 21
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/24/2011 5:09:45 PM   
Baelfiin

quote:

On another thread Mr B said I should man the Dnepr line. I think that's to the right somewher so I hope to get there after eating some more of his tasty little offerings.

Keep on driving to the right SF, we have some nice cozy camps ready for you.....

WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha

Post #: 22
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/24/2011 7:36:49 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

Another turn, another pocket.

Man-up Mr B intead of leaving your corps 100 miles away

put your decent troops on the line if you have any

web exchange

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 23
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/24/2011 7:40:18 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

Man up Mr B and put your decent trops on the line if you have any

or to quote Sabaton: Insect of terror face your fate like a man

web exchange

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 24
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/24/2011 8:01:43 PM   
Baelfiin

quote:

ORIGINAL: sillyflower

quote:

Man up Mr B and put your decent trops on the line if you have any

or to quote Sabaton: Insect of terror face your fate like a man

they are on the line, you just have to have the will to come find it !! =p

WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha

Post #: 25
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/25/2011 11:25:18 PM   
sillyflower

B said above somewhere that he can't afford to lose any more units.

It would be nice if the Commie running dog barked the truth. What is true is that I can't afford not to kill units (ie APs) if I am to keep his army down to size.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sillyflower -- 11/25/2011 11:29:30 PM >

web exchange

(in reply to Baelfiin)
Post #: 26
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/26/2011 11:38:32 PM   
sillyflower

I'm sure Baelfiin is in this foxhole

Attachment (1)

web exchange

Post #: 27
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/27/2011 12:37:38 AM   
bigbaba

realy wonderfull dogs with great digging skills.

maybe you should let them a fort level 4 "ostwall".:)

Post #: 28
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/29/2011 12:30:01 PM   
sillyflower

Tx

The big one and his sister when she was alive used to dig trenches about 9 feet long x3 feet deep (3m x 1m) in 1 hour looking for small burrowing mammals like Baelfiin. They left 1 part of a park looking like a WW1 trench system but luckily they were never caught.............

web exchange

(in reply to bigbaba)
Post #: 29
RE: Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Silly... - 11/29/2011 1:39:57 PM   
Baelfiin

Short Hiatus over the holiday weekend complete .... Keep digging you might find me eventually =p

WITE-Beta
WITW-Alpha

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> Teaching an Old Dog some new tricks (Baelfiin-Sillyflower,SF welcome) Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI