Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Lost my saved games

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> Tech Support >> Lost my saved games Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lost my saved games - 11/20/2011 7:44:48 PM   
simon1468

Hi There,

I have the latest versions of CCLD and CCWOR. I have a problem where the games freeze while loading usually just as a battle is finishing, I have to go into the task manager and end the program. Once I go back into the game my saved campaign is gone. This is very frustrating as I have now lost three very long games. I'm running Windows Vista. This did not happen with Arnhem Brigge I was able to finish that one.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Simon.
Post #: 1
RE: Lost my saved games - 11/20/2011 8:05:39 PM   
Tejszd

I have had/seen this problem too.

It seems to have been introduced with the last patch as others have posted about the same issue only after it was released.... Hopefully a fix will be coming soon, Matrix???

< Message edited by Tejszd -- 11/22/2011 4:56:27 AM >

(in reply to simon1468)
Post #: 2
RE: Lost my saved games - 11/21/2011 9:56:43 AM   
Andrew Williams

There is currently no announced schedule for providing a fix... shame this used to be a good game.

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 3
RE: Lost my saved games - 11/21/2011 6:00:57 PM   
simon1468

Thanks Guys,

I hope they get around to it soon, I was really enjoying the games before they were erased. At least I can still play Arnhem Bridge. I bought the cross of iron upgrade as well, but I didn't notice that much of an upgrade.

Cheers,

Simon.

(in reply to simon1468)
Post #: 4
RE: Lost my saved games - 11/21/2011 10:18:50 PM   
SteveMcClaire

This issue is being investigated and will be addressed in a future update.  An estimated date for this will be posted as soon as one is available.

(in reply to simon1468)
Post #: 5
RE: Lost my saved games - 1/6/2012 3:49:42 PM   
Nickfury

Damn, I just had this happen to me too. Lost several days of playing, had completed 2 days of the campaign. It froze up as the game was finishing and I lost my last save. I guess I have to try to save after every battle?

I hope you guys fix this.

Nick

(in reply to SteveMcClaire)
Post #: 6
RE: Lost my saved games - 1/7/2012 7:35:49 AM   
Andrew Williams

I expect a to see a SUPER-MEGA-UPDATE (Public BETA test)maybe around July 2012.

Hopefully this will make the game stable and then in 2013 expect to see playability issues addressed.... fingers crossed.

:)

< Message edited by Andrew Williams -- 1/7/2012 7:44:26 AM >

(in reply to Nickfury)
Post #: 7
RE: Lost my saved games - 1/14/2012 7:20:58 PM   
Tejszd

Any update on a fix Matrix???

This should be considered a show stopper as people can not play Campaigns or Operations without at some point losing their saved games....

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 8
RE: Lost my saved games - 1/15/2012 8:26:18 PM   
SteveMcClaire

Not at this time. As soon as there is new information on the update I will post it here.

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 9
RE: Lost my saved games - 2/11/2012 1:45:06 PM   
Bordic

Well, I have bought COI, LSA and TLD in succession...

So, what should I play with without having any surprise? Still with COI?

Post #: 10
RE: Lost my saved games - 2/12/2012 8:56:33 PM   
Platoon_Michael

I hope they know that WAR does this too?

(in reply to Bordic)
Post #: 11
RE: Lost my saved games - 2/12/2012 9:23:04 PM   
Andrew Williams

It hasn't been tested with the new mega-patch exe.

(in reply to Platoon_Michael)
Post #: 12
RE: Lost my saved games - 2/12/2012 11:51:15 PM   
Platoon_Michael

Are they working on a Mega Patch?

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 13
RE: Lost my saved games - 5/11/2012 5:11:39 AM   
RichM

Ugh! I just lost two weeks of my free time to this bug. This needs to be fixed. If it happened in the latest patch it should be reverted. I just bought this game when I started playing two weeks ago, and now I find that it can't be finished. If you aren't going to fix it then stop selling it!

(in reply to Platoon_Michael)
Post #: 14
RE: Lost my saved games - 5/11/2012 5:27:06 AM   
Tejszd

The March 14 beta patch fixes the problem; http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3060832

(in reply to RichM)
Post #: 15
RE: Lost my saved games - 1/28/2013 7:03:11 PM   
RichM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tejszd

The March 14 beta patch fixes the problem; http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3060832

Here I am nearly a year later using the above mentioned patch, and no, it does NOT fix the problem. Two weeks of my free time playing, and I can't finish the game so the experience is utterly ruined. Saved game is gone. I want my two weeks back.

(in reply to Tejszd)
Post #: 16
RE: Lost my saved games - 1/5/2017 3:36:41 PM   
RichM

Any news on this? I really liked the game, but I want to be able to finish without crashing.

(in reply to RichM)
Post #: 17
RE: Lost my saved games - 1/6/2017 6:51:22 PM   
mooxe

This also happens in CC4 and CC5.

During a Stalingrad GC the game would crash at the end of the last battle of the turn in single player, every time. Upon going back to reload it, the save file was gone.

I was able to hex edit the save file. I removed both BGs out of the save file in order to advance to next round. This was a short term fix and I was hex editing blindy. Only by trial and error I found the BGs. Having to remove the BGs was worst case scenario, it was just a back up plan. Long term effects are unknown.

When my opponent and I played that battle, it went fine, no crash and the file saved on both computers. I don't know why it worked here. I did not have to resort to hex editing the save file.

I saved the file when it was giving me crashes, and two weeks later when I play it, no crashes. So its got me stumped as why this happens.

Theres a few things you can do on your own to "fix" this to continue the GC. You need to have back up save files to do these.

1. In the forcepool selection screen, replace all your troops, do this for opponent as well.
2. Upload the file to someone else and see if they can truce through the battle.
3. Switch sides by hex editing save file and attempt to truce through battle. http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=119
4. Play that battle online.
5. Reinstall the game in a different folder.

Basically with these options your trying to change any variables within the game that may be causing the crash.

Nothing I have found can bring these saved games back. They are in memory though and no data is truly deleted off the HD until its written over. What you can do is find an undelete program and it may be able to restore the save file. Good freebie versions of this kind of software is hard to find, good luck!

Close Combat Series

CCS on Youtube

Join Discord for tech support and online games.

(in reply to RichM)
Post #: 18
RE: Lost my saved games - 1/9/2017 7:15:35 PM   
SteveMcClaire

quote:

ORIGINAL: RichM
Any news on this? I really liked the game, but I want to be able to finish without crashing.

As stated above, the fix for the original issue reported in this thread was made some years ago.

If you are using the latest update to The Longest Day and still encountering an issue with a crash and loss of saved game file, it's being caused by something different than the original bug. Here are some steps I'd recommend to try and narrow down the problem:

1) Re-install the game from scratch and verify / install the latest update.

2) Do not install any mods for the game.

3) Start a brand new campaign / operation using the re-installed game. Trying to continue play on a saved game from an earlier version may still crash if the file itself was corrupted.

If it's still occurring please report as much information as you can about what campaign/operation you were playing and anything noteworthy about the battle you were playing. I will make a note to re-investigate this issue next time work on The Longest Day is on the table.

Thanks,

Steve

(in reply to RichM)
Post #: 19
RE: Lost my saved games - 11/21/2017 7:18:50 AM   
Siebenkaes

I am shocked, because it is impossible for me to run nearly all CC Games (MT/CoI/WaR/LSA/TLD) with windows 10. Only PitF + GtC work. Is this the end for me after 20 years with these games and the older? I hope, You have a idea to solve this problem. Best wishes Th.Walther
Ich bin schockiert, daß fast alle CC-Spiele unter windows 10 nicht mehr laufen, nur noch PitF + GtC. Ist das nach 20 Jahren das Ende für mich mit diesen Spielen, und den alten? Ich hoffe, Sie haben eine Idee, um dieses Problem zu lösen. Viele Grüße, Th.Walther

Post #: 20
RE: Lost my saved games - 11/27/2017 6:24:58 PM   
SteveMcClaire

Siebenkaes,

Microsoft removed support from DirectX for certain full screen video modes used in the older versions of Close Combat. Please see this thread for details on how to configure the games for Windows 10: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4190969

Steve

(in reply to Siebenkaes)
Post #: 21
RE: Lost my saved games - 2/10/2018 8:45:05 AM   
ayadazzi

Hi Steve,

I bought CCTLD digital & physical upgrade in Dec 2017- so I must have the latest version an no prior ones installed on my PC, yet I encountered yesterday the same issue reported above:
Lost my saved file after playing several days the Grand Campaign.
Is there a way this could be fixed? Will this occur again if I start a new grand campaign?
It would be really frustrating not to be able to finish the game.

Thanks,
Ayad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve McClaire

quote:

ORIGINAL: RichM

As stated above, the fix for the original issue reported in this thread was made some years ago.

If you are using the latest update to The Longest Day and still encountering an issue with a crash and loss of saved game file, it's being caused by something different than the original bug. Here are some steps I'd recommend to try and narrow down the problem:

1) Re-install the game from scratch and verify / install the latest update.

2) Do not install any mods for the game.

3) Start a brand new campaign / operation using the re-installed game. Trying to continue play on a saved game from an earlier version may still crash if the file itself was corrupted.

If it's still occurring please report as much information as you can about what campaign/operation you were playing and anything noteworthy about the battle you were playing. I will make a note to re-investigate this issue next time work on The Longest Day is on the table.

Thanks,

Steve

Post #: 22
RE: Lost my saved games - 2/10/2018 5:50:03 PM   
mickxe5

quote:

ORIGINAL: ayadazzi
I bought CCTLD digital & physical upgrade in Dec 2017- so I must have the latest version an no prior ones installed on my PC, yet I encountered yesterday the same issue reported above:
Lost my saved file after playing several days the Grand Campaign.
Is there a way this could be fixed? Will this occur again if I start a new grand campaign?
It would be really frustrating not to be able to finish the game.

Dont think either the digital download or the physical copy incorporates the latest patch. If you dont see Version 5.50.14b on the lower right of the Main screen you should install that patch.

Also, saving your game file under a different file name between battles (eg. Battle1, Battle2, Battle3 etc). This potentially allows you to backtrack from a corrupted save to previous point in a campaign where you can avoid whatever caused the corruption. Its not an ideal solution but better than having to start a campaign over from the beginning again.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ayadazzi)
Post #: 23
RE: Lost my saved games - 2/10/2018 9:06:20 PM   
Tejszd

Always has puzzled me why they do not bother updating the initial version you get when you buy it months/years after release....

(in reply to mickxe5)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat: The Longest Day >> Tech Support >> Lost my saved games Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI