Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) Page: <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/27/2018 3:06:19 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

My concern is that with recon and naval bombardment, the allies could neutralize IJ airpower in both Panay and Mindinao and keep it that way.

It depends on sea routing.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 3961
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/27/2018 4:09:06 PM   
MakeeLearn

Defensively, the Philippines make a great THORN BUSH. With several big thorns and numerous small ones.

Use your air, naval and land forces to create the THORNS.

< Message edited by MakeeLearn -- 9/28/2018 11:48:25 AM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3962
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/27/2018 6:00:56 PM   
rustysi

quote:

My concern is that with recon and naval bombardment, the allies could neutralize IJ airpower

On any coastal base.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 3963
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/27/2018 6:05:48 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Manila is protected by Bataan.

Not really. Japan doesn't have a mobile CD unit with large enough guns to stop BB's. She may do some damage to small ships in the convoy, but what do the Allies care late in the war. Besides Allied air could probably neutralize Bataan at any rate.

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 3964
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/27/2018 6:29:29 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Clark,

In stock at least Clark is accessible from the sea, past Bataan.

Post #: 3965
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/27/2018 6:32:48 PM   
rustysi

quote:

You're next to the fuel from Miri and Balikipapan

Balikpapan at least could be pretty easily cut off from the Philippines.

Post #: 3966
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/27/2018 6:38:18 PM   
rustysi

quote:

The Allies can and will take Panay and Mindanao if they want it, but Japan can make it a slow, painful affair.

And so with the rest of the Philippines, as this is essentially Japan's last line of defense. Once the Philippines are controlled by the Allies the SRA is cut off and Japan will wither. Don't forget the Allies need not take every little speck of the archipelago, but just enough to 'control' its environs.

Post #: 3967
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/27/2018 6:55:49 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

Not really. Japan doesn't have a mobile CD unit with large enough guns to stop BB's. She may do some damage to small ships in the convoy, but what do the Allies care late in the war. Besides Allied air could probably neutralize Bataan at any rate.

That's not the case, the Wake CD unit is mobile, and has 20cm guns which are big enough to do some serious damage to even battleships. Even non-penentrating hits do damage, so even the smaller 15cm and 12cm tubes make it a dangerous endevour. Couple the guns with mines and you've pretty much sealed off Manila and Clark from the sea. As you say, you're unlikely to stop the BB's, but between the mines and system damage it makes forcing the straits a risky move.

IIRC Bataan is also classed as a narrow strait, which means CD gunfire and mines are notably more effective.

quote:

quote:

Sure, but fuel convoys could always go the moderately longer western route around Borneo, and unless the Allies establish either a blocking position or advance on Balikipapan itself, it's a vector for the Japanese to use for attacks.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 3968
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/27/2018 7:59:59 PM   
Mike Solli

Man, this is great stuff! By the way, I was just talking about Luzon. Mindanao will have its own defenses.

My thought on what Ted will do is to go after Babeldaob after he takes the bases up to Hollandia. I'm planning on putting a division and a brigade at Babeldaob and a division at Pelielu. CD guns are already at both locations to make it more interesting for him.

Mindanao will get forces as well. Not sure how much nor where they'll be positioned yet though.

Created by the amazing Dixie

Post #: 3969
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/27/2018 9:20:32 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

Mines. Bataan's minefield(s) can't be cleared without losing minesweepers to the coastal guns. Ergo, those minesweepers will either need to be sacrificed first (and somehow go in first) or the bombardment TF will need to transit the narrow strait with its minefield and all coastal guns from each applicable hex...

Not an enticing proposition.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 3970
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/27/2018 9:22:19 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

quote:

Sure, but fuel convoys could always go the moderately longer western route around Borneo, and unless the Allies establish either a blocking position or advance on Balikipapan itself, it's a vector for the Japanese to use for attacks.

I would welcome Japan attempting this, if the presumption is that the Allies have invaded Mindanao and hold Darwin/New Guinea. The sheer amount of time and risk of spotting while en route is high.

So you go right ahead .

Post #: 3971
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/27/2018 10:16:48 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

quote:

quote:

I would welcome Japan attempting this, if the presumption is that the Allies have invaded Mindanao and hold Darwin/New Guinea. The sheer amount of time and risk of spotting while en route is high.

So you go right ahead .

Balikipapan is hard to interdict from Mindanao, and even if you're spotting the convoys, by hugging the coast you can make Allied interdiction by air very difficult. Naval interdiction is another story, but the ocean around Balikipapan isn't exactly the most open for raiders, especially not from the north.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3972
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/28/2018 6:30:36 AM   
Lokasenna

Don't need to interdict it, just need to block.

Post #: 3973
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/28/2018 8:03:25 PM   
rustysi

quote:

IIRC Bataan is also classed as a narrow strait, which means CD gunfire and mines are notably more effective.

Nah, air bombard it, sea bombard it, and sweep the mines at the same time. After that its right past. May take a couple of days.

quote:

Take a base in the Celebes, build it up, which should take the US what late in the war, about a week? Balikpapan, bombed into oblivion or at least isolated.

quote:

can't be cleared without losing minesweepers to the coastal guns.

I think the above will work.

< Message edited by rustysi -- 9/28/2018 8:31:43 PM >

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 3974
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/28/2018 8:15:49 PM   
rustysi

quote:

To me, it seems that if you want to focus on a particular airframe for use as a Kamikaze, you need to focus on one of the three categories and train your pilots.

My initial thoughts are to either focus on maneuverability or durability for Kamikazes because I'm not all that excited in using my late war fighters as Kamikazes.

Note that the Ki-115b and Toka are tied for #18 in the speed category.

What to you all think?

Mike I've no experience in the Kami aspect of the game and wouldn't really even know what to say is best.

BTW, as its one of my oversights so far, in what and how far would you train your Kami pilots? IIRC 40 EXP and 60 LowN are the norms. Is that correct? Also is there an experience limit for groups to convert to Kami units? I thought it was 40, but not sure.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 3975
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/28/2018 8:31:00 PM   
rustysi

quote:

My thought on what Ted will do is to go after Babeldaob after he takes the bases up to Hollandia.

I wouldn't. Just as IRL I think the area should be avoided (it wasn't, but could've been). Once he gets to the western end of NG there're just so many bases, that it should be easy to find some undefended or lightly defended for the picking. Establishing bases and forces here he should be able to isolate almost anything, making his advance through the SRA easier. To me at least once past NG the only 'real' obstacle left is Luzon.

Remember he doesn't need to capture any resources or such, just deny them to you. IMHO your days are numbered.

Ah, the voice of doom and gloom.

< Message edited by rustysi -- 9/28/2018 8:39:58 PM >

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 3976
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/28/2018 8:38:33 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I'm planning on putting a division and a brigade at Babeldaob and a division at Pelielu.

Self contained POW Camp. I'd have some forces here, but not this much. Again, JMHO.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 3977
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/28/2018 10:01:03 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

Nah, air bombard it, sea bombard it, and sweep the mines at the same time. After that its right past. May take a couple of days.

quote:

Take a base in the Celebes, build it up, which should take the US what late in the war, about a week? Balikpapan, bombed into oblivion or at least isolated.

quote:

can't be cleared without losing minesweepers to the coastal guns.

I think the above will work.

I think you seriously underestimate the in-game effect of medium and even small calibre CD guns in the confines of a narrow strait. What you propose is nigh-on impossible, and rightly so. It's easy enough to clear the mines at Bataan, if you're willing to accept the outright loss of nearly all of your minesweepers, but you'll never get the minesweepers past Bataan to clear Manila or Clark. So when you send your BB's in, you're hoping that they don't get too badly mauled going past Bataan (which they will), that they then don't hit any mines at Manila or Clark (a stretch) and then don't get too badly mauled on the way back out (which they will).

If you doubt, test it for yourself. Put the Wake CD unit along with a reasonable garrison (say, a brigade, some aviation support and maybe a little AA) at Bataan along with some mines and try to sail ships past them. They won't have a fun time and it won't be a couple of days before it's clear to traffic.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 3978
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/29/2018 6:23:11 PM   
rustysi

quote:

I think you seriously underestimate the in-game effect of medium and even small calibre CD guns in the confines of a narrow strait. What you propose is nigh-on impossible, and rightly so. It's easy enough to clear the mines at Bataan, if you're willing to accept the outright loss of nearly all of your minesweepers, but you'll never get the minesweepers past Bataan to clear Manila or Clark. So when you send your BB's in, you're hoping that they don't get too badly mauled going past Bataan (which they will), that they then don't hit any mines at Manila or Clark (a stretch) and then don't get too badly mauled on the way back out (which they will).

If you doubt, test it for yourself. Put the Wake CD unit along with a reasonable garrison (say, a brigade, some aviation support and maybe a little AA) at Bataan along with some mines and try to sail ships past them. They won't have a fun time and it won't be a couple of days before it's clear to traffic.

TBH, who cares? Japan can't hold everything and the Allies don't even need Clark or Manila. I'd simply hit the island somewhere else, strangle his ability to resup, and move on. Appari(?sp) and the other clear terrain base in the north would more than suffice to replace the others once built up, and it shouldn't take the US long to do that.

Post #: 3979
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/30/2018 3:52:25 PM   
Mike Solli

Been doing turns at a pretty good rate. About a week behind. I need to catch up.

8 Nov 43

Sub War

The I-36 is hunting in a pretty nice area around Vava'u, an Allied hub I found. She caught a big xAK damaging her then sinking her later in the day.

I heard some other sinking sounds after I heard the xAK sink. It wasn't mine.

Later in the day, the I-36 found a second xAK and sank her too. Good work for this little sub today.

5 Fleet

My daily sweep of Umnak found nothing. The Sallies caused a little airfield damage. I've noticed it's creeping up. He can't keep up with it. Interesting. Maybe he's written off the Aleutians as a staging base?

4 Fleet

All quiet out here.

SE Fleet

Ted's 4E bombers focused on Hollandia, presumably to keep the damage up so it's function as an airbase to support Aitape, the next base in the area on his hit list.

The 2E bombers focused on Aitape's troops, a Naval Guard and a Naval Guard company, along with some engineers. They're slowly getting whittled away. Occasionally, a few of the bombers will hit the port so I can't build up the forts there. The fort level is stuck at 1.95.

Ted's carriers are hovering just south of Manus. He keeps about 90 fighters, along with some SBDs and naval search aircraft at Manus. They're SBD-5s, so I can't get even my fastest cruisers to a staging area to hit the place without being spotted. It's pretty much immune to anything except night air bombing, which is just a nuisance at best.

SRA

Darwin is now a maxed out airbase that can reach Saumlaki. He's begun hitting it with Beaufort VIIIs, SBD-3s and Wildcat escorts. I think I'm going to put a few fighters there to kill off some second rate pilots.

He sent 48x 4E bombers against Boela, presumably against the oil there, which has been totally destroyed for a while now. 48 wasted sorties!

Burma

I've been sweeping Akyab and Chittagong. Akyab's airfield is out of commission (why am I still sweeping it?). My 4x Helen sentai are bombing Cox's Bazaar out of existence.

China

The bombers destroyed 6 squads. Fresh divisions are moving from their staging area to Chungking for a new assault.

Other Stuff

Reinforcement: TK Tachibana Maru, Type-1 TM (8150 capacity)

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 3980
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/30/2018 4:19:03 PM   
Mike Solli

9 Nov 43

Sub War

Nothing to report.

5 Fleet

The Sallies bombed Umnak again. A couple of C-47s were damaged. Transports there?

4 Fleet

I caught Ted with his pants down at Mili. At Roi-Namur, I have some Emilies, Nells, Franks and Zeros. I launched a day raid on shipping sitting at Mili. Here's the result:

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Mili at 136,121

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid detected at 62 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 23 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5c Zero x 17
G3M3 Nell x 21

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M3 Nell: 7 damaged

Allied Ships
APA Wayne, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
APA Harry Lee, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
APA President Hayes
APA La Salle
AKA Alchiba, Torpedo hits 1, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
1092 casualties reported
Squads: 39 destroyed, 23 disabled
Non Combat: 48 destroyed, 17 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 25 (23 destroyed, 2 disabled)
Vehicles lost 2 (2 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Aircraft Attacking:
21 x G3M3 Nell launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo

Was he dropping off or picking up troops? I think picking up, but I'm not sure. Anyway, some unit(s) is/are out of action for awhile.

I have subs to the east so hopefully I'll catch some of the damaged ships.

His supporting carriers have vanished, probably to the east. Interesting that they fled leaving the juicy transports with no air cover. There aren't any fighters stationed at the base either. Interesting. Anyway, easy victory. I don't expect it to last, but I'll try again tomorrow.

SE Fleet

Same 'ole bombing of Hollandia and Aitape, but no Allied ship movement.

SRA

I sent a CA and 2 DD to bombard Darwin:

Night Naval bombardment of Darwin at 76,124 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-4 Wildcat: 5 damaged
SBD-3 Dauntless: 3 damaged
Beaufort VIII: 2 damaged
Beaufort VIII: 1 destroyed on ground

Japanese Ships
CA Atago
DD Asagumo
DD Minegumo

Allied ground losses:
61 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Airbase hits 4
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 17

E15K1 Norm acting as spotter for CA Atago
CA Atago firing at 2nd RAN Base Force
2nd RAN Base Force firing at CA Atago
DD Asagumo firing at Darwin
DD Minegumo firing at Darwin

Just a nuisance raid.

I posted a chutai each of Tojos and Rexs at Saumlaki to see if they could do anything irritating. Yep, they did! . A total of 8 Rex and 11 Tojos caught 15 Beaufort VIIIs and shot them all down. Then, 6 more showed up and all of them were shot down too. Not a war winner by any means, but maybe it'll get him to react to me instead of the other way around.

Burma

My Helens blasted Cox's Bazaar's airfield. Akyab's airfield is still down and no Allied fighters will fly against my sweeps.

China

My bombers toasted 22 squads.

Still preparing for the next assault.

Other Stuff

Soryu left Ulithi to head to Kobe for final repairs. It'll take 5 days. Her current damage is 7-28(28)-0-0. Zuikaku, at Ulithi, is still ~14 days from heading out. Her damage is 21-51(51)-21(9)-0. I may pull her out early.

Akagi is still at Truk and will leave in about 15 days. The Chitose, Chiyoda, Taiyo and Chuyo are either at Soerabaja or Singapore and in various state of disrepair. They will start coming back to service over the next couple weeks (or longer).

The Ha-43 engine R&D advanced to 12/44 (will become operational 5/44).

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 3981
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/30/2018 4:42:48 PM   
Mike Solli

10 Nov 43

Sub War

I can see the US carrier force hovering around a couple hexes south of Manus. I sent a couple of subs in those DD infested waters to try and get a shot at a carrier. The RO-105 ran into an ASW TF and torpedoed and sank the DE Paul Jones and got away free and clear!

5 Fleet

The Sallies hit Umnak once again causing light airfield damage and destroying 1 and damaging 3 more C-47s. It's really weird that he's got transports there.

4 Fleet

Well, Ted posted fighters at Mili today, and they are VF-2, from the Lexington. Odd. Was the Lex part of the carrier TF and he flew them in? No clue but I think it's a pretty good guess.

I sent in 22 Nells escorted by 35 Franks and 17 Zeros (A6M5c variety). 18 Hellcats opposed them. My fighters held the Hellcats off the Nells but lost 3 Franks and 6 Zeros doing it (killing 3 Hellcats in the process). Two Nells were lost to flak, but they sank the AKA Almack. I see Mili becoming an isolated Allied outpost.

In the afternoon, 3 Georges (stationed at Maleolap) swept Mili shooting down 2 more Hellcats. Wish that chutai was bigger than 3.

SE Fleet

Hollandia and Aitape were the targets of the Allied bombers once again. I still see the US carriers and am attempting to catch them with some subs.

SRA

All quiet today.

Burma

A single Hurricane rose against my Tojo sentai sweeping Cox's Bazaar and was promptly shot down. My bombers plastered Cox's Bazaar again.

China

16 squads were killed by my bombers. The divisions are almost back to attack again.

Other Stuff

Reinforcements:
SC Ch-54, ASW
MTB G-154, target , I shouldn't say that. I had a torpedo boat torpedo a BB (and survive!) at Adak a while back. You never know.

The AK Arcturus was confirmed sunk at Dutch Harbor on 2/10/43 by KB.

The Ki-84r Frank R&D advanced to 10/44 (will become operational 2/44).

< Message edited by Mike Solli -- 9/30/2018 4:46:29 PM >

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 3982
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/30/2018 9:33:22 PM   
Mike Solli

11 Nov 43

Sub War

One of the subs I had hunting for the US carriers was the I-9, and guess what?! She found them:

Sub attack near Manus at 100,121

Japanese Ships
SS I-9

Allied Ships
CV Hornet
CA Baltimore
CA San Francisco
CL Cleveland
CL Nashville
DD Schroeder
DD Eaton
DD Dunlap
DD Frankford
DD Bailey
DD Thatcher

SS I-9 launches 2 torpedoes at CV Hornet
DD Dunlap fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Frankford fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Bailey fails to find sub and abandons search
DD Thatcher fails to find sub, continues to search...
DD Dunlap fails to find sub and abandons search
Escort abandons search for sub

2 torpedoes?! Turned out she had only 4 left. So you'd launch only 2 at CV keeping the last two for something better?! What's better?! Sheesh!

The other sub, RO-105, was caught by an ASW TF and hit by a DC. Her damage isn't bad but she'll head home for repairs: 21-24(12)-0-0.

5 Fleet

Same 'ole bombing of Umnak causing a little bit more damage to the airfield.

4 Fleet

Only the venerable Georges swept Mili today, shooting down 2 more Hellcats.

SE Fleet

Hollandia was hit by 30x 4E bombers. The rest of the Allied bombers rested today.

SRA

I should have pulled my fighters out of Saumlaki yesterday. Multiple attacks against this island pummeled the airfield. At a cost of 1 Tojo, I ended up shooting down a B-24J and a Beaufort. But my planes won't be flying tomorrow.

Burma

Bad weather so nothing to report.

China

Bombers got 9 squads today. The deliberate assault goes in tomorrow.

Other Stuff

Nothing to report.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 3983
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/30/2018 10:26:31 PM   
Mike Solli

12 Nov 43

Sub War

The I-18, hovering a couple hexes east of Mili caught the AKA Alchiba and 2 torpedoes later, down she went. The Allies may have captured Mili, but it is costing them.

5 Fleet

Nothing to report. Probably weather.

4 Fleet

Three Fubukis arrived at Mili hoping to catch the US carriers there, but they had fled. They did catch an ASW TF of a DMS and 3 AMs sinking the AMs and damaging the DMS while incurring no damage.

The DDs then bombarded Mili for light damage to the airfield, then caught the DMS further damaging her.

The US carriers are definitely gone. I have decent FB naval search coverage and don't see them anywhere.

SE Fleet

Allied bombers hit Aitape again.

SRA

The Allies focused their 4E bombers on Saumlaki. Better that than an oilfield. I lost a couple of fighters on the ground. One issue here. I have a Garrison Unit here that is being withdrawn in a few days. I'm shipping the 65 Bde there (by sea and air) to replace it. About half of it is on ground with more arriving every day.

I have a small bombardment force composed of 2 CA and 2 DD scheduled to hit Darwin tomorrow. They were spotted and attacked by SBDs, but fortunately there were no hits.

Burma

Chittagong and Cox's Bazaar each received the attention of 2x Helen sentai. I lost a few to flak.

Akyab's airfield is closed, Cox's Bazaar is hurting, but Chittagong's is still open.

China

The day began with the bombers softening up Chungking's defenders, killing 15 squads.

Then the deliberate assault went in:

Ground combat at Chungking (76,45)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 137766 troops, 1582 guns, 1385 vehicles, Assault Value = 4830

Defending force 348485 troops, 677 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 11010

Japanese adjusted assault: 1982

Allied adjusted defense: 11679

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 5 (fort level 2)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
24434 casualties reported
Squads: 58 destroyed, 1593 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 78 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 200 disabled
Guns lost 180 (5 destroyed, 175 disabled)
Vehicles lost 47 (1 destroyed, 46 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
13905 casualties reported
Squads: 153 destroyed, 1473 disabled
Non Combat: 128 destroyed, 696 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Guns lost 35 (10 destroyed, 25 disabled)
Units destroyed 9

The fort level didn't go down, but I'll take the number of destroyed infantry squads. Also, 6 of the 9 units that were destroyed were infantry units. We're getting there.

Other Stuff

Reinforcement: 42 Independent AA Gun Company rebuilt

Ryuho's air units arrived! The Ryuho was at Singapore. Finally!

Taiyo completed her repairs at Soerabaja and will head back to Ambon to begin reconstitution of MKB2.

Akagi, Soryu, Zuikaku, Chitose, Chiyoda and Chuyo are still being repaired.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 3984
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/30/2018 11:34:55 PM   
PaxMondo

Amazing, I've never attempted CK this late, and it looks as though you will be able to take it.

Pax

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 3985
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 9/30/2018 11:51:21 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Amazing, I've never attempted CK this late, and it looks as though you will be able to take it.

I hope so, Pax. I keep buying out divisions for the real front. I should be able to buy another after the next attack. There are two other starving Chinese armies, one 100k and the other 50k. I'll move out everyone who is eligible after Chungking falls and use the remaining troops (about 2/3 of the divisions) to take out the rest.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 3986
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 10/1/2018 12:57:22 AM   
Mike Solli

13 Nov 43

Sub War

An xAKL that was moving supply to the frontier was caught by the Swordfish in the shallow hex just south of Kwajalein. I don't have any ASW assets there. I'm going to move the 3 Fubukis there to sink or drive the sub off.

5 Fleet

Sallies added to the airfield damage at Umnak.

4 Fleet

More Hellcats showed up at Mili. They shot down 3 Franks then 4 Nells. The remaining Nells withdrew, due to low morale. Later in the day, the 3 Georges shot down two more Hellcats.

SE Fleet

Hollandia and Aitape again.

The US CV TF is sitting at Manus. With the 80 fighters on the TF and another 95 at Manus, I can't attack them by air, but I will risk a sub. I sent one to drive through the hex (this one has a lot of torpedoes) tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

SRA

My CA bombardment TF (Maya and Chokai, escorted by 2 DD) steamed into Darwin overnight catching and sinking 2 LSTs then bombarding Darwin:

Night Naval bombardment of Darwin at 76,124

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
Beaufort VIII: 11 damaged
F4F-4 Wildcat: 24 damaged
SBD-3 Dauntless: 21 damaged
SBD-3 Dauntless: 1 destroyed on ground
Catalina I: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
CA Chokai
CA Maya
DD Yamagumo
DD Natsugumo

Allied ground losses:
206 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 86 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled

Airbase hits 13
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 26

E8N2 Dave acting as spotter for CA Chokai
CA Chokai firing at Darwin
E15K1 Norm acting as spotter for CA Maya
CA Maya firing at 3rd Australian Division
DD Yamagumo firing at Darwin
DD Natsugumo firing at Darwin

A lot of planes were damaged, but that's just temporary.

37x 4E bombers hit Saumlaki further trashing the airfield. That's ok. Those fighters did their damage and will live to fight another day.

Burma

My fighters decided not to sweep today, and my Helens paid the price. Ted put a partial squadron of Beaufighters at Chittagong and they had a field day against the Helens. I ended up losing 10 and a couple more to flak.

China

Most of the bombers didn't fly. Those few that did caused little damage.

Other Stuff

Reinforcements:
9 Fleet HQ, Truk
70 Field AA Battalion, Burma Area Army, not sure if it'll stay in Japan or move out.
68 Field AA Battalion, 2 Area Army, not sure if it'll stay in Japan or move out.
69 Field AA Battalion, 2 Area Army, not sure if it'll stay in Japan or move out.
1 Independent Mixed Regiment, 8 Area Army, will garrison Mergui, along the Burma coast.
26 Special Base Force, Southern Fleet, will go to Kendari replacing the special base force that was there that is moving to Saumlaki.

The Ki-102b Randy R&D advanced to 10/44 (will be operational some time prior to 6/44). There are 3 R&D factories, 1x30, 26(4) and 22(8).

Looking forward to tomorrow. I get 9 infantry brigades and mortar/tank units to make 4 more, and best of all, none of them is restricted.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 3987
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 10/1/2018 1:11:18 AM   
mind_messing

What's the experience like now on your IJA China divisions?

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 3988
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 10/1/2018 1:14:48 AM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

High 80s to 90s. Very nice. I am feeding fresh divisions in as often as I can free them up to help build their experience as well.

Post #: 3989
RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 10/1/2018 1:26:14 AM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

High 80s to 90s. Very nice. I am feeding fresh divisions in as often as I can free them up to help build their experience as well.

Very nice indeed. That will give you the experience edge on just about every Allied LCU. Pity they'll have vastly superior artillery and firepower values, but such is life in the IJA. You're the craftiest combat soldier around, but the other guys get the better boomsticks.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 3990
Page:   <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Once Again into the Breach - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) Page: <<   < prev  131 132 [133] 134 135   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI