Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/15/2012 3:26:02 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I just started to use the option under "Waypoints" to have the TF return the same way they went to their objective (why I waiting this long is unknown ). Really helpful for CS Convoys to hug the coast and stay in shallow waters. I have to give those SC and PB a chance to hit something with the Type 92 DCs.

ANd saves a lot of extra clicking for regular convoys ...very nice feature that Michael added ...

Pax

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1261
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/15/2012 4:30:05 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

I just started to use the option under "Waypoints" to have the TF return the same way they went to their objective (why I waiting this long is unknown ). Really helpful for CS Convoys to hug the coast and stay in shallow waters. I have to give those SC and PB a chance to hit something with the Type 92 DCs.

Yes! This is a great feature and is very useful.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1262
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/15/2012 10:09:55 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Yes! This is a great feature and is very useful.

A great feature, yes. Unless you forget to click the button and the commander chooses the most infested route back.

I just looked ahead in the game and the PBs and small SCs never seem to get the Type 95 mod-2 or the Type 2 DCs, even the new ones in 45. Seems if the Japanese had figured out the Type 95 DCs were crap and replaced them on the DDs and Es they would have done so on the sub chasers and patrol boats as well, right? Maybe I'm missing something, like upgrades. Don't have the game here so I can't double check.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1263
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/15/2012 10:23:59 PM   
Mike Solli

***CAUTION – LOTS OF CALCULATIONS***

China/Manchuoko/Korea (C/M/K) Oil/Fuel

I’ve noticed that quite a few Japanese players suck the fuel and oil out of C/M/K early in the war. I propose that fuel and oil should not be pulled from C/M/K. In fact, after the SRA is liberated, I propose you begin to ship oil and (eventually) fuel to this region. Below is my argument.

Note that this is based on Japanese industry on 7 Dec 41 and does not take into account any future gains or losses based on changes in territory or destruction of industry. I always use a house rule that does not allow bombing of industry in China. I believe the lack of this house rule is can provide results in the game that are not intended. The Allied player has enough problems feeding the Great Yellow Horde. Should the Japanese player bomb the industry in Allied controlled China, that Horde would starve. Anyway, this is not an argument for or against that house rule…..

Also note that C/M/K produces a surplus of ~717k resources per month. Suck as much of that as you can to Japan. That will account for almost 69% of Japan’s need (outside of what the Home Islands produce).

Here are some stats on Japanese controlled industry in C/M/K:

At start balances:

Fuel: 971,700
Oil: 379,650

Monthly Production:

Fuel: 32,400
Oil: 18,000

Monthly Need:

Fuel: 42,600
Oil: 36,000

Monthly Shortage (Need – Production):

Fuel: 10,200
Oil: 18,000

Ok, those are the numbers. Now let’s analyze them a bit. Oil first because all it does is get refined to a useable form, namely fuel.

Divide the “at start balance” by the “monthly shortage” (379,650/18,000) and you get 21 months. This means that come ~1 Sep 42, the surplus of oil is gone. Now, the monthly fuel production drops to 16,200 (18,000*0.9). Hang on to that number. We’ll need it later.

Between Dec 41 and Aug 42, C/M/K produces 32,400 fuel per month and uses 42,600 fuel per month, which is a shortage of 10,200 fuel per month (same as the at start numbers). Life is good….. almost. We need to subtract 10,200 fuel for each of those months from the starting balance of fuel to see what’s left.

10,200*21 = 214,200 fuel consumed from the starting balance:

971,700 – 214,200 = 757,500 fuel remaining in the balance. Sounds good, right? Well, let’s see.

Starting in Sep 42, the oil glut is gone and the monthly fuel need is still 42,600. Now, the fuel produced per month drops to 16,200 (see, I told you we’d need that number again) so the monthly fuel shortage rises to 26,400 (42,600 – 16,200).

The remaining fuel will last 28 months (757,500/26,400). This takes us to Dec 44. At that point, the fuel is gone and the HI production in C/M/K should already have imploded. Remember, the HI gets wonky when fuel shortages begin to appear, but I’m not sure what the game engine considers a fuel shortage.

But, it’s actually worse than that. I didn’t factor in any fuel consumption from shipping. That will happen and I can’t give you a figure for that, which is unfortunate.

Conclusion:

Removing fuel and/or oil will hasten the collapse of the industry in the C/M/K region. At full production, this region produces 1420 HI per day, or 42,600 HI per month. That’s the equivalent of 1183 fighters per month. That’s a significant amount of HI. That is 10% of the total Japanese HI production at the start of the war.

Recommendation:

I recommend that the starting fuel and oil in the C/M/K region not be removed. In addition, I recommend that a close eye be kept on the surplus monthly the following be done to ensure the continued supply of HI:

Jun 42: Begin shipping 20k oil per month to this region.
Jan 44: Begin shipping 24k fuel per month to this region.

If this can be done through Dec 44, there will be sufficient oil and fuel in the C/M/K region to support the HI there through Sep 45. The refinery at Pt. Arthur will have sufficient oil to produce fuel through Mar 45. Add to that the 288k fuel shipped here in 1944 (24k * 12 months) and you will ensure HI production of the C/M/K HI factories through Sep 45, most likely until the end of the war.

Where should this fuel and oil come from? Good question! I recommend it come from Miri/Brunei. Combined, they produce 51k oil and 40k fuel per month. (That’s assuming you repair all of the oil fields and none of the refineries beyond 150.) I ship this stuff to Cam Ranh Bay and from there to the Home Islands. Once the Std- series xAKs begin to convert to TKs (Jun 42), just allocate some of them to ship directly from Cam Ranh Bay to Shanghai (or Hong Kong if you’re comfortable with the overland movement thing) and you should be good to go. The rest can still go to the Home Islands.

Also, keep in mind the 79k supply produced monthly in C/M/K. If the industry collapses, then you have to ship that into C/M/K in addition to whatever you’re currently shipping in order to keep the army afloat!

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 1264
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/15/2012 11:06:43 PM   
ny59giants

Somebody forgot to take their evening OCD medications (maybe even a few days worth were missed).

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1265
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/15/2012 11:08:34 PM   
Mike Solli

I did that at lunch.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1266
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/15/2012 11:21:04 PM   
ny59giants

We have to find you another hobby.

Suggestions?!?

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1267
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/15/2012 11:23:20 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

We have to find you another hobby.

Suggestions?!?

I'm applying to be a logistician for the DLA - a government logistician.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 1268
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/16/2012 12:47:40 AM   
DRF99

quote:

Recommendation:

I recommend that the starting fuel and oil in the C/M/K region not be removed.

That's depressing...

In my first go as Japan v. AI, it's Feb 1, 42 and I've knocked myself out and already shipped all the oil in C/M/K to Japan.

Live and learn.

This AAR really is a must for anyone playing the Empire.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1269
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/16/2012 12:49:13 AM   
Mike Solli

It's just my thoughts on it, not gospel. Did you leave most or all of the fuel there?

(in reply to DRF99)
Post #: 1270
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/16/2012 12:57:08 AM   
Mike Solli

To be honest, I took the oil out since WitP came out in 2004 and only stopped about a year ago. I look at it this way - I periodically ship supply to China. If I ship oil, that'll convert and provide some supply. It's really meaningless though, since 10 oil produces 9 fuel and 1 supply. I can also ship the 9 fuel and 1 supply for the same cost. No big deal either way. I do believe you need to feed the HI in C/M/K though, because if you don't, you'll have issues with your army there in late war. That wouldn't be a good thing.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1271
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/16/2012 1:01:04 AM   
Mike Solli

Thinking it a little bit farther, it is more efficient to keep the C/M/K HI fed. For the cost of shipping 2 fuel (whether it's in the form or oil or fuel is meaningless) you get 2 HI. If those 2 fuel go to the Home Islands to produce HI, you'll also need to ship 15 resources there. C/M/K has a surplus of resources so every Hi produced there saves you the fuel it would have cost to move those resources to the Home Islands. (I'm not talking about the excess resources, which need to go to the Home Islands anyway. I'm talking about the resources you'd use for the HI in C/M/K.)

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1272
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/16/2012 1:01:21 AM   
Mike Solli

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1273
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/16/2012 2:11:06 AM   
Cribtop

Question: if the Japanese player captures Sian and Lanchow Oil intact, how does that change the equation?

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1274
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/16/2012 2:22:59 AM   
Dan Nichols

I think the oil will run out about 1 Sept 43, not 42

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 1275
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/16/2012 2:31:36 AM   
Captain Cruft

I think Mike is absolutely right. Although the individual HI "factories" in the C/M/K region are not large, in total they add up to quite a lot.

The easy way to deal with this (IMO) is to occasionally ship some fuel from Brunei/Miri or indeed Palembang to either Hong Kong or Shanghai. This is cheaper than shipping it to Japan, you cannot move fuel without also consuming it ...

Personally I also ship the very small oil surplus that Formosa provides to Port Arthur, but this is probably not material.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 1276
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/16/2012 3:11:50 AM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dan Nichols

I think the oil will run out about 1 Sept 43, not 42

Yup, you're right. Thanks for checking!

(in reply to Dan Nichols)
Post #: 1277
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/16/2012 3:16:29 AM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Cruft

Personally I also ship the very small oil surplus that Formosa provides to Port Arthur, but this is probably not material.

I think there are 8 oil there. That's 72 fuel a day = 72 HI a day or 2 fighters. That's 730 fighters a year. That's substantial.

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 1278
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/16/2012 3:29:17 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Thinking it a little bit farther, it is more efficient to keep the C/M/K HI fed. For the cost of shipping 2 fuel (whether it's in the form or oil or fuel is meaningless) you get 2 HI. If those 2 fuel go to the Home Islands to produce HI, you'll also need to ship 15 resources there. C/M/K has a surplus of resources so every Hi produced there saves you the fuel it would have cost to move those resources to the Home Islands. (I'm not talking about the excess resources, which need to go to the Home Islands anyway. I'm talking about the resources you'd use for the HI in C/M/K.)

OK, I'd like to belabor this discussion further and feed Mike's OCD some more. Mike-there are some unwarranted assumptions and oversights in your calculations.

1. Not all HI used by C/M/K is near a fuel repository. If fuel has to travel to the site where it will be converted to HI, there will be wastage. In the case of Manchuko, this is not insignificant if the main fuel depot is, say Hong Kong. I believe the selection of port for fuel repository is very important before these calculations about theoretical production values hold merit.

2. Are your calculations regarding Chinese oil / fuel availability based upon all Chinese production facilities on the map or just those under IJ control immediately when the game starts?

3. Resource shipping into the home islands is easy as pie. Sakhalin to Hokkaido is a short jump. Hokkaido to Honshu is a grand total of one hex. Shanghai to Nagasaki is a short jump as is Korea to Shimononseki. It's probably as easy to ensure resource distribution into the home islands as it is to ensure consistent resource distribution into Manchuko, IMO.

4. You've overlooked the benefit of supply production and stockpiling on the home islands. I *want* several million extra supply on the home islands when the Allies come knocking in 1945. Goodness forbid I have to import this supply from C/M/K when the going gets tough. It may even be captured outright if it's in a far-flung production facility that is unfortunate.

5. Your suggestion here: I recommend that the starting fuel and oil in the C/M/K region not be removed. In addition, I recommend that a close eye be kept on the surplus monthly the following be done to ensure the continued supply of HI:

This suggestion is fine by me. But 20k oil per month for C/M/K is a pittance of what will be collected by the Empire. You risk overstating your point and leaving others thinking that all oil and fuel should be so relegated, instead of 5-10% of that collected.

Indeed, I believe that dumping all fuel in Hong Kong will result in more wastage than benefit served by not completing the jump to the home islands.

But I hear you about the value of HI production in C/M/K. Indeed, I typically recommend expanding the HI in Canton and Hong Kong.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1279
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/16/2012 3:32:54 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

To be honest, I took the oil out since WitP came out in 2004 and only stopped about a year ago. I look at it this way - I periodically ship supply to China. If I ship oil, that'll convert and provide some supply. It's really meaningless though, since 10 oil produces 9 fuel and 1 supply. I can also ship the 9 fuel and 1 supply for the same cost. No big deal either way. I do believe you need to feed the HI in C/M/K though, because if you don't, you'll have issues with your army there in late war. That wouldn't be a good thing.

Armies starving to death is a bad thing. But I believe that supply can be creatively routed into C/M/K from the surfeit produced in the home islands, particularly Honshu. Feeding the HI with fuel in C/M/K as a rationale for adequate late war supply is a non-sequitor in my opinion.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1280
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/16/2012 3:35:49 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Cruft

I have been shipping this to the home islands, like all other oil that I can get my grubby little mitts on. But, in late August 1943 I have noticed (just last turn) that I have run out of oil in Port Arthur and it is not refining. I may take your advice to ensure that Port Arthur gets fed properly.

(in reply to Captain Cruft)
Post #: 1281
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/16/2012 5:22:21 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

OK, I'd like to belabor this discussion further and feed Mike's OCD some more. Mike-there are some unwarranted assumptions and oversights in your calculations.

1. Not all HI used by C/M/K is near a fuel repository. If fuel has to travel to the site where it will be converted to HI, there will be wastage. In the case of Manchuko, this is not insignificant if the main fuel depot is, say Hong Kong. I believe the selection of port for fuel repository is very important before these calculations about theoretical production values hold merit.

2. Are your calculations regarding Chinese oil / fuel availability based upon all Chinese production facilities on the map or just those under IJ control immediately when the game starts?

3. Resource shipping into the home islands is easy as pie. Sakhalin to Hokkaido is a short jump. Hokkaido to Honshu is a grand total of one hex. Shanghai to Nagasaki is a short jump as is Korea to Shimononseki. It's probably as easy to ensure resource distribution into the home islands as it is to ensure consistent resource distribution into Manchuko, IMO.

4. You've overlooked the benefit of supply production and stockpiling on the home islands. I *want* several million extra supply on the home islands when the Allies come knocking in 1945. Goodness forbid I have to import this supply from C/M/K when the going gets tough. It may even be captured outright if it's in a far-flung production facility that is unfortunate.

5. Your suggestion here: I recommend that the starting fuel and oil in the C/M/K region not be removed. In addition, I recommend that a close eye be kept on the surplus monthly the following be done to ensure the continued supply of HI:

This suggestion is fine by me. But 20k oil per month for C/M/K is a pittance of what will be collected by the Empire. You risk overstating your point and leaving others thinking that all oil and fuel should be so relegated, instead of 5-10% of that collected.

Indeed, I believe that dumping all fuel in Hong Kong will result in more wastage than benefit served by not completing the jump to the home islands.

But I hear you about the value of HI production in C/M/K. Indeed, I typically recommend expanding the HI in Canton and Hong Kong.

Chickenboy, I’ve been waiting for your comments. Good stuff. Who’s OCD?!

1. You’re right, wastage wasn’t factored in. I have no clue how to do that. I think there’s an easy workaround though that I’ll get to in a minute. First, it appears to me that there are two primary fuel depots where fuel tends to accumulate – Hong Kong and Pt. Arthur. That’s not too bad. The Pt. Arthur depot most likely feeds the HI in Manchuoko and the Hong Kong depot may (just guessing here) feed China. I propose sending fuel to Shanghai. Fuel doesn’t stay here long. Maybe it’ll feed China?

The workaround is to use tracker or a spreadsheet (if that’s what you prefer) to track fuel (and oil) in C/M/K monthly. This will tell you the net gain or loss of those two commodities. You can then determine what you need to ship there (if anything) in the coming month. That’s typically the way I manage my stuff and where to ship it.

2. My calculations are based on what the Japanese control on 7 Dec 41. Things will change over time. The fact that things will change reinforces my suggestion to track commodity by region monthly to account for those changes. I have a spreadsheet I use that I update monthly that performs those calculations for me.

3. Yup, I agree with you. I ship Sakhalin to Hokkaido (both resources and oil) and Hokkaido to Ominato (resources and oil). I also do Shanghai to Nagasaki (resources) and Fusan to Shimonoseki (resources). I currently am shipping resources from Pt. Arthur to Nagasaki (resources) but will phase that out as Fusan’s port is built up.

4. I agree with you here as well. I also want a huge stockpile of supply in the Home Islands late war. As we know, supply is produced from HI, LI and refineries. As long as we have resources and fuel, the HI and LI produce. The key is oil to produce supply from refineries. I estimate that the Home Islands need ~240k fuel and 100k oil a month to keep the economy going. That will produce 340k supply per month. Calculation:

240k fuel “fuels” 120k HI producing 240k supply
100k oil refines to 10k supply and 90k fuel, which “fuels” 45k HI producing 90k supply.

240k + 10k + 90k = 340k supply per month

I recommend a relatively small amount of oil and fuel be shipped to C/M/K. I don’t think this will affect supply production in the Home Islands much:

24k fuel = 24k supply
20k oil = 20k supply

Total = 44k supply per month

5. Thanks for making that point. Yes, every drop of oil (beyond the 20k per month) needs to be shipped to the Home Islands and all fuel (beyond the 24k shipped to C/M/K and that needed for fleet missions) also needs to be shipped to the Home Islands.

I don’t recommend shipping fuel to Hong Kong (beyond what is needed for HI there and in Canton as you said). I believe it needs to be shipped farther east, possibly Shanghai, as I mentioned above.

I’m going to do some more on this considering I goofed on the oil by a year (!) and add some extra for losses such as wastage and ships.

Edit: Read the next post.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1282
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/16/2012 5:27:04 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cribtop

Question: if the Japanese player captures Sian and Lanchow Oil intact, how does that change the equation?

Cribtop! It seems you just asked the supremely important question. I did some calculating earlier and here's what I came up with. Please check the numbers because it sees to be too good to be true:

I just calculated the changes to C/M/K after adding Sian and Lanchow (at 100%) to Japanese holdings. The results are very interesting.

Here’s what the two cities have to offer:

Sian
20 Oil
20 Refinery
160 Resources
20 HI
20 LI

Lanchow
90 Oil
90 Refinery
60 Resources
No HI
60 LI

Their combined monthly net production (after everything in those hexes do their things):

0 oil
28,500 fuel (Yay!)
84,000 resources
6900 supply
1200 HI points

This is significant. The excess fuel will take care of the rest of the shortages for C/M/K. This means that there is no need to ship fuel or oil into C/M/K. Wow! Also, the extra resources increase the surplus to 801k per month available to be shipped to the Home Islands.

This tells me that the initial Japanese operations in China need to have the goal of liberating these two bases. Should there be some destruction of the infrastructure of the bases, the following needs to be repaired:

All oil
All HI
Refineries to total 50 (60 refineries are not needed)
No LI
Resources are optional.

Why only 50 refineries? There are 60 extra refineries in Pt. Arthur. They can take up the slack from these two bases if needed.

Let’s do some more calculating.

Starting HI: 710

The need is 710*2*30 = 42,600 fuel per month.
Monthly fuel production from oil production is 60*9*30 = 16,200.

Net shortage is 16,200 – 42,600 = -26,400 fuel per month.

Ok, we start with the following:

379,650 oil which converts to 341,685 fuel (791,650 * 0.9)
971,900 fuel

which gives us a grand total of 1,313,585 fuel at start in C/M/K. We’re going to lose some to fueling ships and wastage. Let’s say 50%. (I have no clue what it really is but I’m trying to err on the high side.) That gives us ~650,000 fuel available to sustain the C/M/K HI.

The C/M/K HI needs 26,400 per month in addition to internal production so the surplus gives us:

650,000 / 26,400 = 24 months before we need to supplement C/M/Ks fuel. That’s Dec 43! So, we have until that date to capture and repair Sian and Lanchow.

One more note: Once any needed repairs are complete, if the # refineries = # oil centers, then check to see if there is excess oil at Pt. Arthur. If there is, note that amount and ship it to the Home Islands. The excess refinery capacity in the Home Islands would be happy to refine the extra oil.

Very interesting indeed!

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 1283
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/16/2012 6:00:16 PM   
Historiker

I would recommend turning off the refinery at Lanchow. The oil will finally find a refinery to use it, and flowint htere doesn't cause spoilage. You simply don't need any fuel around there.

Considering the spoilage and transport waste factor, it might even be wise to increase refinery capacity close to some HI points on the mainland, while turning others off. I'd prefer oil marching the land than fuel....

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1284
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/16/2012 7:01:27 PM   
Cribtop

I asked because I have captured those bases intact and noticed based on my back of the napkin numbers that I should be ok for a long time. Good to have the professor confirm my gut!

PS - leave it to a Texan to instinctively try to capture oil fields, I guess.

< Message edited by Cribtop -- 5/16/2012 7:02:50 PM >

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 1285
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/17/2012 9:54:18 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Historiker

I would recommend turning off the refinery at Lanchow. The oil will finally find a refinery to use it, and flowint htere doesn't cause spoilage. You simply don't need any fuel around there.

Considering the spoilage and transport waste factor, it might even be wise to increase refinery capacity close to some HI points on the mainland, while turning others off. I'd prefer oil marching the land than fuel....

Historiker, that's a great idea!

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 1286
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/17/2012 9:55:25 PM   
Mike Solli

15 Mar 42

Sub War

Nada.

5 Fleet

I tried a SA against Dutch Harbor that failed miserably. Japanese losses were 231(2) to 33(0) Allied losses. One of the Naval Guard units is in poor shape being almost entirely disrupted but the other is in good shape. I’ll wait until the infantry regiment arrives before I try again.

KB is still hanging out south of Adak, out of sight. Still no sign of Allies BBs or CVs.

4 Fleet

The next wave of 7x Naval Guard units is enroute from Japan to their new homes on the frontier.

SE Fleet

Six Betties escorted by 5 Zeros went after that damn AM again just south of Pt. Moresby. Five Kittyhawks rose to meet them and sliced through the Zeros (I thought these guys were good?) like they were biplanes, tearing into the Betties. Four were allegedly shot down but only 2 crews were WIA. I guess it was FOW. Odd.

Philippines

The 16 Division is at Bataan and ready for action. I’ll try a DA with the 16 & 48 Divisions along with the 65 Brigade to test the waters.

China

Maneuvering continues.

Burma

There was no action in the air other than my daily 1E bombing raids of units here and there.

On the ground, Shwebo was successfully assaulted. Japanese losses were 197(0) to 707(81) Allied losses with 2 of the 6 defending units destroyed (Upper Burma BAF Battalion & 1st Burma Auxiliary AA Regiment). I’ve now cleared the plain and am moving forward to push the remaining rabble out of Burma.

The CA TF has arrived at Rangoon to refuel and sucked Rangoon dry. I’ve turned on the refinery there to produce more fuel for them. I’ll try to keep a reserve of fuel there (10-15k fuel) for emergencies in the future. Other than that, Burma oil will remain as oil and flow south overland.

18 Division is enroute by TF from Singapore to Rangoon.

Java

The long awaited (well, not really but it sounds good) DA against Kalidjati went off without a hitch today. The 6:1 attack against level 3 forts was picture perfect. It was a notable battle, the largest tank battle to date. Here’s the OOB for both sides:

Assaulting units:
20th Recon Regiment – 20 Division
40th Brigade – 20 Division
4th Tank Regiment
78th Infantry Regiment – 20 Division
7th Tank Regiment
8th Tank Regiment
2nd Tank Regiment
21st/A Division
26th Field Artillery Regiment

Defending units:
Batavia Coastal Gun Battalion
1st KNIL Regiment
4th KNIL Regiment
Mobiele Eenheid Battalion
Lijfwacht Cav Sqn
Tjilatjap KNIL Battalion
Tjilitap Base Force

Given the fact that the Dutch were surrounded and had poor leadership, the level 3 forts really didn’t help a whole lot. For a total of 668(7) Japanese losses, the entire Dutch garrison surrendered losing 12371(1280) troops. I believe this was a grave mistake on Ted’s part. He divided up the majority of the Java garrison among 3 different bases: Soerabaja, Kalidjati and Batavia, with a smattering of small units in other bases. This dilution of his major forces in 3 instead of 2 (or even 1) major bases will allow me to take Java quickly and with relatively minor forces. I have only 2 divisions (20 and 21) along with 4x tank regiments and some support. I don’t know what the Batavia garrison is composed of, but I’m confident that I will take it quickly. It is already surrounded and major Japanese forces will be there in a few days.

I’m pretty sure Ted decided to garrison Kalidjati because that was my invasion site in our last game, and I used it to great effect. Its level 4 airfield pretty much forced Ted to garrison it heavily. I’m just surprised that he never moved the garrison to Batavia after I achieved my bridgehead elsewhere.

SRA

I’m still sucking fuel out of Palembang, something that will go on for a long, long time. The fuel level is low enough that I have turned the refinery back on.

I’ve discovered that there is still a shortage of AS in this part of the world (along with most other places). I’m shipping those units as soon as they arrive as reinforcements. There actually are a lot, but they need to be placed more efficiently, something I am in the process of doing. My air force (both IJA and IJN) is scattered as well and needs to be rearranged for defense as well as ASW and offensive ops in Burma (where there also is a shortage of AS). It’s the chicken and egg syndrome. I can’t move the air units until I get the AS in place and much of the AS is locked in place because it is supporting some air units. I’m shuttling around the small excess AS I currently have and am trying to get more AS there as quickly as possible to accelerate the process.

Other Stuff

The future…..

My Phase I operations are coming to a close. I expect them to be complete by mid to late April (hopefully sooner). The conclusion of this phase (and future plans) includes the following:

Burma

This is a slow process but is working well with few losses on the ground. Currently, I have the 33, 55(-) and 56 Divisions there with 18 Division enroute by sea and IG Division soon to follow by sea. Future reinforcements will be 2-3 more tank regiments as well as significant artillery, plus significant AS and AA units. Most of the 3 Air Division will end up here as well as the entire 22 Air Flotilla (primarily based at Pt. Blair). In June, I will get reinforcements allowing me to form the 1 and 2 Tank Divisions. These units will end up in Burma as well. I would like to move on Imphal as a Phase II objective, but we shall see if that is practical.

SE Fleet

Soon I will own all the bases (with the important exception of Pt. Moresby) between the Solomons, southern New Guinea and points north. Luganville is being considered as a forward observation point. It’s definitely expendable but would provide a nice post for some flying boats. I haven’t done much recon on it and really don’t know if it is garrisoned. I’ll have to find that out. If I have a spare sub, I’ll post it there to see what it can see. Then there’s Pt. Moresby. My intel is showing 30k troops stationed there! They’re sitting tight and Ted isn’t trying to oppose me in the air over Pt. Moresby. I don’t have enough bomber strength to really bomb the place effectively (just 27 Lilys and 54 Betties) and the Betties are being used (rather ineffectively most of the time) in a naval attack role. I doubt that I can take the place but that option is still on the table. I still have the 90 and 144 regiments and the Gds Brigade down there doing nothing. I need to make a decision there soon. The 144 regiment eventually will head to Burma because it is the missing regiment of 55 Division.

Another thought I’ve been toying with is an invasion of the Australian mainland (say Cooktown) and Horn Island instead of trying for Pt. Moresby. This would allow me to station Betties all around Pt. Moresby and more effectively cut it off. The problem is that Cooktown would be surrounded by Allied bases. Hmm….

4 Fleet

Right now I’m just building my outer crust (infantry and forts). I have not done anything other than the historical expansion. I’m thinking of taking Baker Island (currently unoccupied) just as an additional potential target for Ted. If he did attack it, it would just cost him more time. If I were the Allied player and my opponent took Baker, I’d just ignore it or use it for bombing practice.

5 Fleet

My initial plans of taking Adak and points west were changed suddenly when I thought it would be smart to attack Dutch Harbor and Umnak Island. In retrospect, that may have been a mistake. Anyway, Ted doesn’t have much force there, only a small base force unit and the 2/250 Coastal Artillery Battalion. My 2x Naval Guard units (1 currently combat ineffective) don’t have the combat power to take it. I have a decent infantry regiment enroute (should be there soon) and I’ll land it and try again. With KB in the vicinity, I could bomb them using KBs aircraft and probably take the island easily but that would show my hand there. My real goal is to ambush an Allied TF of capital ships (BBs or CVs). I’m not sure they’re even coming back though (or where they went). Another option is to detach the 4x Kongos escorting KB and have them make a high speed run in to bombard the place. I’m still debating and have a few days before a decision has to be made.

Something I need to do is to get some air power in the Aleutians. Right now the total air power there is exactly 2 Emilies. Wow! The problem is there are none to be had. I could probably scrounge up a Nettie daitai, but there are no fighters available and that shortage is going to get worse with some frontline fighter units on the hit list to be withdrawn soon. There are some on the reinforcement track but I’m going to need more in Burma/Pt. Blair.

Philippines

Bataan is doomed. It’s only a matter of time. I’ll try my first DA tomorrow to see the state of the Allied forces there. They have been bombed daily. In the practically daily ground bombardment, their strength is slowly deteriorating. The sooner the better because it frees up the 14 Army for other potential missions.

SRA

I still have to take just about all points south and east of Kendari. Forces are enroute, but they are just small units changing green to red on the strategic map. I para dropped the 2 Raiding Regiment on Koepang a while ago hoping for a coup, but they didn’t have the strength to take the base. They’re in good shape and are being supplied by air. Ted doesn’t have the ability to reinforce either. I currently have a good SNLF that will land there tomorrow. I hope they, combined with the raiding regiment, will have enough strength to take the place. That’ll provide me with a nice airfield to forward deploy some Netties. If they don’t, I have an additional SNLF available that I can ship there.

China

I still have 10 surrounded units to clean up. One army is tasked with that job. In the north, I am headed to Sian and Lanchow. Intel is showing Sian with 123k troops. It may be a long siege. That’s ok. More Chinese in the bag eventually. Will he ever run out to troops in China? Sheesh! Once both of those bases are liberated, my focus will turn to the south to clear the coastal and SE parts of China. I intend this to be a campaign of maneuver, to surround or force the Chinese forces to displace.

IJAAF

The 3 Air Division will be stationed primarily in Burma. There will be some fighter, recon and ASW (primarily 1E bombers) scattered around the SRA (mainly Palembang and Java) but pretty much the rest will be in Burma.

The 5 Air Division is currently in the Philippines for the most part. One Lily sentai is at Lae and the fighters are in the Balikpapan area. This air division will eventually guard the southern SRA with a strong detachment in the SE Fleet area.

IJNAF

21 Air Flotilla – Southern SRA and Java.
22 Air Flotilla – Pt. Blair and Burma.
23 Air Flotilla – SE Fleet.
24 Air Flotilla – 4 Fleet.
25 Air Flotilla HQ – New reinforcement headed to Batavia.
11 Air Fleet HQ – Headed to SE Fleet.

15 Army – Burma (33 & 55 Divisions)

25 Army – Malaya (5 Division) and Burma (IG, 18 & 56 Divisions)
16 Army – Java (38 Division) and Southern Sumatra (2 Division)

14 Army – Southern SRA (16 & 48 Divisions and 65 Brigade)

Southern Army – Reserve (4, 20 & 21 Divisions & 21 IMB) – 21 Brigade will go to Pt. Blair after Java is concluded. I haven’t decided where to position the divisions yet.

The future (where to go – if anywhere):

First of all, here’s what will be available for future offensive missions:

4 Division – currently in southern Sumatra
20 Division – currently in Java
21 Division – currently in Java
2 Division – currently in northern Sumatra
38 Division – currently resting in Singapore
16 Division – currently in Bataan
48 Division – currently in Bataan
65 Brigade – currently in Bataan

Northern Australia – If there really are 30k troops in Pt. Moresby, Australia has to be pretty sparse in troops. I’ve done this every game Ted and I have played. Do I do this again? Pro – there may be few troops here due to the presence in Pt. Moresby – maybe. Con – Ted will expect me to do this again and be ready for it. Con – Darwin is a nice base for enemy bombers to hit the southern SRA.

Ceylon – I’m considering this as a recon in force. The goal would be to kill all the Allied units on the island and then leave just a small sacrificial defense (or nothing at all). Pro – I don’t think Ted, in his wildest dreams, would expect me to head here. Con – What does it really accomplish? I would need carrier air support and MKB would be all I would send here. KB is needed to guard the rest of the world.

The Aleutians – I’ve done more here than I’ve ever done in the past, but Ted hasn’t really opposed me (other than Dutch Harbor and Umnak (which I pulled my troops out of)). Pro – It’ll keep his forces from touching my currently vulnerable 5 Fleet area. Con – It really doesn’t do much for me other than create another isolated area I have to supply. It’s ultimately doomed. I guess I could take it for a year and then run and leave a couple of dogs behind.

Central Pacific – Midway, Johnston or Baker Islands or any of the islands in that area. Pro – Uhh…. Con – More doomed troops, bomb magnets. Con – I thought of one. Maybe it’ll force Ted to oppose it with his carriers. That may actually be a con. I want to oppose Ted’s carriers with my carriers within my LBA. Right now Ted won’t do that.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1287
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/17/2012 11:44:14 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

Well the 3rd air division is BIG. If there is no imminent air war in Burma you could stretch it out to guard the entire area from Burma to uh lets say Ambon for a while and transfer the 5th air division to the Aleutians.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1288
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/18/2012 12:04:12 AM   
ny59giants

quote:

I would like to move on Imphal as a Phase II objective, but we shall see if that is practical.

I would think about marching into China from Burma and then linking up with your forces in China. Make him rely solely on the supply generated in China.

quote:

Right now I’m just building my outer crust (infantry and forts). I have not done anything other than the historical expansion. I’m thinking of taking Baker Island (currently unoccupied) just as an additional potential target for Ted. If he did attack it, it would just cost him more time. If I were the Allied player and my opponent took Baker, I’d just ignore it or use it for bombing practice.

Taking Baker and Canton would open up the possibility of raiding his SLOC between the USA and South Pacific/NZ/Oz. It would be easier to slip carriers, SC TF, and even subs into that area.

Looking at future objectives, the questions comes to you putting your hat on as the Allies. You focus a lot on the Japanese logistics and their economy. What can you do to disrupt the flow from the USA to others places on the map?? Since you allow bombing of industry right now as Magwe is slowly being bombed back to the stone age, how do you plan to protect your assets?? Northern Australia and even over to Perth area might keep him away form the critically important SRA even longer. The Central and South Pacific do nothing except push his transports further south.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1289
RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) - 5/18/2012 1:19:03 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Ceylon – I’m considering this as a recon in force. The goal would be to kill all the Allied units on the island and then leave just a small sacrificial defense (or nothing at all). Pro – I don’t think Ted, in his wildest dreams, would expect me to head here. Con – What does it really accomplish? I would need carrier air support and MKB would be all I would send here. KB is needed to guard the rest of the world.

I'm a big fan of the smash and grab in Ceylon. IRL, this would have caused panic amongst the British in the Far East and mass confusion. Was their entire SE Indian front coming unhinged? Will they have to buttress Madras or points further West from invasion? If their Burma troops are also cut off by a landing in E. India, what would they do if they couldn't wrest control of the sea lanes from the Japanese encampment on Ceylon?

In the game, I believe that two CVLs are cancelled if Colombo is captured. The Japanese player gets the VPs for that just as if they were sunk. Don't know if that changed in the latest patch or not. Some feel this gamey, but no more so than B17 bomber sweeps, marching 5 divisions over the Owen Stanleys to take Lae and E. P/NG or borked supply routes that favor an early Allied advance. It's in the game, so it's in the game.

You will have to do this operation in force-a recon in force will be insufficient strength to beat 'em up good.

Kill Britisher LCUs and base forces?
Destroy a portion of the RN with KB?
Destroy two CVLs on the slips?
Cut off a chunk of the E. Indian forces to forestall their rebuilding?

Where do I sign?

< Message edited by Chickenboy -- 5/18/2012 1:20:40 AM >

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 1290
Page:   <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Once Again into the Breech - Mike (J) vs. tc464 (A) Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI