Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

just got the game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> just got the game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
just got the game - 11/2/2002 12:31:09 PM   
startrekdork

i just got the game and think its great. little disapointed by how hard it was to get a ship model into the game.....
but still love the game. im surprised out how much it feels like star trek i mean its not a star trek game but it feels more like a star trek game than most star trek games. im surprised with how much you were able to get away with like things like the phasers and warp drive and federation and teleporters thats still very broad but naming star systems vulcan and romulan.....not to mention moria, gondor and mordor. i just wish i could make a ship model like one from star trek.
i know the shareware version has one like that, people called it the olympic class even though its not, its the daedulus class. :D
but what i want to know is this? you guys are going to keep working on the shareware version and release a new version in december but does that mean this retail version is finished? i mean do you foresee making any new or major changes for the retail version? and what exactly is it that you plan on adding in the shareware version?
i just downloaded moray and thought maybe i could make my own enterprise model......figured i could teach myself how to use it. boy was i wrong.
im surprised there isnt more of a fan following on here. does anyone have any fan sites or anything? or mods of their own? back to playing.
Post #: 1
- 11/3/2002 3:00:19 AM   
Andrew Ewanchyna

Glad you're enjoying the game. You can expect another update in the retail version (SUDG) very soon. Quite a big update, actually. Things start to blur after a while :)

I did kind of sneak in a few star names from other places. Could you tell that I'd just finished reading the LOTR books? You can modify the star names to your own liking by editing the star.txt file, BTW. I suggest you back it up first, though.

Moray takes a little getting use to. I suggest you start by using things like spheres and cubes first. Just try resizing them and applying materials to it first. You can eventually do things like take a sphere and subtract a smaller one from it to get dished out sections. Quite powerful. I bought the book "RAY TRACING WORLDS WITH POV-RAY", THE WAITE GROUP, ALEXANDER ENZMANN, LUTZ KRETZSCHMAR, CHRIS YOUNG way back when and learned everything I needed to know from that.

As for the low activity here, well, it seems the demo isn't exactly helping sell the game (just read the endless posts on that). My own take is that the first part of the game isn't understood by enough people who first try the game and are expecting a traditional space 4x game. It's something you need to play through before you understand its importance. Not quite like a normal space 4x game in that respect. People seem to like their white bread, I guess. :confused: I expect things to pick up some more, though.

Developer of Starships Unlimited

(in reply to startrekdork)
Post #: 2
- 11/3/2002 12:38:03 PM   
startrekdork

well id love to learn how to do the stuff. i think im smart enough to do it. maybe.....there was only one other game i tried to mod and that was space empires iv but that was easy stuff because it was all in notepad and all i really changed was the names of things. i tried to do ship models in there too and you needed to do all this stuff and finally i made one ship model! i made it got into the game everything was great.......except the game wouldnt load whenever i tried to use it. :mad:
as for the inactivity on the forums. well. take the demo for example. the fifty year limit thing, not once did i ever encounter another race. even after i got the game it was like more than a hundred years before i encountered an alien race! and they declared war on me! i was telling a guy today about how cool the game was and he was like wow thats so cool and he wanted to know where he could get it. and said uh well you have to buy it direct from their company game store......and he wouldnt do it. i didnt even buy it through the game store....i bought it off someone on ebay. thats also how i got space empires iv. i thought space empires iv would be like the end all 4x strategy game when i got it and it wasnt....it was so boring. so going from that to starships unlimited is like going from watching paint dry to racing at monaco.
im a big fan fan of star trek (and lord of the rings) and im surprised at how much the game feels and plays out like a star trek game. i mean seriously activision should hire you and your whole staff and have you guys make a star trek starships unlimited. like how lucasarts got the age of empires engine for galactic battlegrounds. i cant wait until this next little addition your coming out with. do you think you could give some clues as to what it is?

(in reply to startrekdork)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> just got the game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI