Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WW2 campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> WW2 campaign Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WW2 campaign - 1/9/2001 9:35:00 AM   
Dagobert

Hi, bought my core units for a german campaign starting in 39, but it seems like so many darn units to push around on a winter night. What do folks find to be a good medium size number of points? Am I correct in assuming that the AI chooses points accordingly? Thankyou

Post #: 1
- 1/9/2001 8:37:00 PM   
Larry Holt

Dagobert, I like a smaller core force (1 armor company, 1 infantry company, some direct fire HE units, some mobile and towed AT and some arty) I find that a smaller force clogs up the board less. I found that with a 4 company core, there were so many units on the board that there was no space open for maneuver. It became a game of put my tanks on hills and shoot up the AIP until he was dead. The AIP will get points based upon your forces cost. As you force gains experience, the AIP will get more points to match that too. Have fun! ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

Never take counsel of your fears.

(in reply to Dagobert)
Post #: 2
- 1/10/2001 4:58:00 AM   
Dagobert

Ah I see. How about map size? If you use a smaller force will you play on smaller maps? Thanks for your input.

(in reply to Dagobert)
Post #: 3
- 1/10/2001 5:56:00 AM   
BA Evans

I don't think map size has anything to do with your points. Map size seems to be a bit random. I have gotten some really small maps on the long campaign. Most are medium sized, though. BA Evans

(in reply to Dagobert)
Post #: 4
- 1/10/2001 6:37:00 AM   
McGib

Ordinarlily Larry I would agree with you on the Tank/Infantry company combo but then you face 40 odd polish tanks and a regiment of infantry so I prefer something even smaller. Currently I'm going with 3 sections of tanks Pz 35t's right now, a company of infantry, a section of a/t guns, some scouts and some light o/b arty. My last battle (meeting engagment) I faced 2 infantry co's, a platoon of tanks and a company of armoured cars. I find this much more managable. ------------------ McGib Ready Aye Ready

Ready Aye Ready

(in reply to Dagobert)
Post #: 5
- 1/10/2001 10:36:00 AM   
Dagobert

I love the way these minor countries commit their resources. "But Marshal, this constitutes the entire armored reserve for the Lodz front!" "I know, but I just don't like this guy, you know?"

(in reply to Dagobert)
Post #: 6
- 1/10/2001 8:59:00 PM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by McGib: Ordinarlily Larry I would agree with you on the Tank/Infantry company combo but then you face 40 odd polish tanks and a regiment of infantry so I prefer something even smaller. ...
I've faced the similar thing at the beginning of each long campaign I've played. That and over 100 French Somas. I decided that since the game was not being realistic in throwing that many tanks at me in one spot (the French just never massed like this, if they had, things might have been different*) and since the one time the Germans did face massed armor (Arras) they used 88's, I just buy some mines and an extra 88 section or two (I have one in my core). *This is one example of the AIP playing better than humans did in real life! ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

(in reply to Dagobert)
Post #: 7
- 1/10/2001 9:22:00 PM   
Warhorse

Yeah, that's why I started hacking the long campaign, putting in huge maps, and buying historical units for the AI, then after completion of purchase, I send the files off to my Brother, who deploys, adds reinforcements, and other surprises, then sends it back, great fun!! With a Panzer Bn, 2 Coys inf., StuG Bty, and AT Plt, I need all the space the huge maps give!! ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Dagobert)
Post #: 8
- 1/11/2001 12:37:00 AM   
Larry Holt

quote:

Originally posted by Warhorse: Yeah, that's why I started hacking the long campaign, putting in huge maps, and buying historical units for the AI... With a Panzer Bn, 2 Coys inf., StuG Bty, and AT Plt, I need all the space the huge maps give!!
Warhorse, I need the space too! I already hack the long campaign battles by editing some of the night battles to day using Fred's editor. I can also use it to modify the AIP units. How do you edit the map to increase the size? ------------------ An old soldier but not yet a faded one. OK, maybe just a bit faded.

(in reply to Dagobert)
Post #: 9
- 1/11/2001 8:27:00 AM   
Igor

Hacking the time of day and such like is fine for those of you in the ETO; if I try that in the PTO in 1930 the campaign crashes at the end of the battle. Very annoying. I guess it's part of the failure to include PTO battle locations for the PLA; but with all the battles set in Central Europe (where the Chinese can't be), when the "choose a front" screen appears there are no choices available. Scratch one campaign unless I saved an unedited copy somewhere. The funny thing is that I don't see that screen unless I edited the battle (or simply saved the completely unchanged battle from the editor). As long as I fight the pure generated campaign battles (in the ETO), then I'm fine. So if you see two Chinese armies fighting in Czechoslovakia in 1935, wave...

(in reply to Dagobert)
Post #: 10
- 1/12/2001 5:23:00 AM   
panda124c

quote:

Originally posted by Dagobert: Hi, bought my core units for a german campaign starting in 39, but it seems like so many darn units to push around on a winter night. What do folks find to be a good medium size number of points? Am I correct in assuming that the AI chooses points accordingly? Thankyou
I like the WW2 Campain with: 1 Sniper 1 Company Inf. 1 Section of ATR's if not in the Co. 1 Section of Scouts if not in the Co. 1 Section of Med. Motars if not in Co. 1 Section of ATG's with transport (mules) 1 Section of Tanks 1 Foward Obs. 1 Platoon of AA 1 Ammo Truck and sometimes an extra section of HMG's just for the Pole's.

(in reply to Dagobert)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> WW2 campaign Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI