Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Baleur Visual & Fluff mod compilation v1.1

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Baleur Visual & Fluff mod compilation v1.1 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Baleur Visual & Fluff mod compilation v1.1 - 11/29/2011 5:42:45 PM   
Baleur

Makes more sense, as suggested, to keep one main thread with the mods and minor tweaks (that do not really require their own thread).
This main post will be updated as I add new stuff. There will be no seperate downloads, just 1 big .zip with everything. Feel free to remove and only pick the parts you wish to use. The folder structure is pretty self-explanatory and no modding knowledge is required to remove the things you do not want
If any screenshots do not work, just right click and "Show Image" again. I will keep refining this thread to make it easier to read and quickly find what you want. Please be patient

> Full compilation download (~150mb)
https://rapidshare.com/files/1035988804/Baleur_Mod_Compilation_v1.0__Music_.zip
> Full compilation excluding music download (~40mb)
https://rapidshare.com/files/2082721732/Baleur_Mod_Compilation_v1.1__No_Music_.zip <--- Get this as a patch, as the music won't be updated anyway.

Updated for 1.1: New galaxy backdrops, total of 16.

> Install instructions & tips: Extract the .zip into your main Distant Worlds folder, and select the "Baleur" theme in the ingame main menu. The latter activates the star names, music and troop icons. It is possible to just copy those files into the main game folder if you wish, but not recommended by the devs (why i do not know). Also feel free to simply merge this with your own customization theme.
It is simple to remove any parts you do not wish from the Customization/Baleur folder, such as the entire music folder if you prefer the original music!

NOTE, there will be 3 parts from 3 other mods included here. If you, the authors, find this to be impolite I will remove them.
3 troop icons from Diverse Worlds v19 (Robotic, Shaktur & Mechanoid troops) - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2662394 - WoodMan
Music mod from New Electronic Soundtrack - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2414910 - Epsilon threadstarter - AlienHand composer www.alienhand.dk
Weapon effects mod from Unknown - *link missing* - Unknown
Cloud overlays from Unknown - *link missing* - Unknown
If you know where the cloud overlays & weapons effects are from, please PM me, i searched the entire mod forum and did not find it. I suspect it is a hidden thread (for example, my own smoother stars thread was nowhere to be found except via my profile, and only re-appeared in the forum list after replying to it again)

Vanilla Planet Overhaul
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2962283

It always struck me as odd that the colonizable planets (everything excluding Barren) looked so airless and desolate.
Where is the thick atmosphere? Granted, most atmospheres irl are rather thin, but if you look at a planet from high orbit it is very much tinted in whatever color the atmosphere has.
Not from straight above since it is too thin, but as the angle increases so too does the atmosphere color dominance over the terrain below.

This is something I've now tried to illustrate and bring into Distant Worlds. While the more "realistic" (debateable) would be a nice blue oxygen atmosphere everywhere, I chose to give the marshy swamp planets a greenish tint to seperate them and bring more variation. Same with the desert planets, I considered giving them more of a Martian red atmosphere but settled for something a bit more desaturated. A bit more close to what Mars looks like closer in. The ice worlds also had an internal debate in my mind, keep them atmosphere-less and barren like Pluto / Sedna, or add a slight frosty atmosphere as if Neptune / Uranus would have been a rocky world instead? I opted for the latter since it seems far more likely.
Hope you enjoy!

Screenshots

Planet Damage Textures
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2961456

I always found the planet bombarded/damaged overlay to look odd, just a few photoshop-cloud filters over the planet.
So i made my own! Tried to make it resemble heavy impact craters and such instead.
I had ideas about cracks, but i felt craters would be more "realistic" in terms of being bombarded from orbit with nukes and god knows what else!

Vanilla damage overlay vs Modded damage overlay

Ingame Screenshot

Smoother & Brighter Stars
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2422975

I apologize as i no longer have the previous versions, only the very smoothest version.

Smoother & brighter stars! No more razor-sharp sunspots, also fixed / resized the sunspot texture so it doesnt pass outside the surface of the sun disk anymore (lolz )
I also wanted to change the coronas since they look horribly blocky and a tad too desaturated, but my efforts seemed to have no effect.
(sidenote, i wish the red giant stars hue was a bit darker ingame so they dont look quite so pink, maby theres a value somewhere to edit?)

Before & After

New Galaxy Backdrops
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2414803

In the Distant Worlds\images\environment\galaxybackdrops folder, rename whichever background you want to use to "galaxy_backdrop.jpg"

Based on real-world nebulas such as, RCW 49, Eta Carinae, Orion nebula, IC 1396, Lagoon nebula, Keyhole nebula, Japan nebula, Eagle Nebula & The Pillars of Creation.
Update 5, compressed all images, 3 times less size is worth a tiny bit less quality ingame when zooming.

Realistic Star Names
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2414816

A huge file of realistic / space-sounding names i've used in many 4x games :)
Its just a text file, but because of the ammount of names i decided to upload it to filefront rather than copy and paste a walloftext here

Place it in "Distant Worlds\Customization\Yournameofchoice" and activate that "theme" ingame, DONT overwrite the original file in the root folder.

Examples: "Delta Cassiopeia", "Zeta Reticulii", "Rigel", "Tau Ceti", "Procyon", "Epsilon Serpentis" and some hundred others

Small Tweaks

A slightly narrower shield impact effect, rather than having 55% of the entire shield lit up on impact, a narrower part of it now lights up.
Cleans up battles a bit, and makes the shield effect a slight bit more relative to what direction fire is coming from.

A slightly lowered Alarm sound when a ship is under attack.

< Message edited by Baleur -- 12/6/2011 3:25:55 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Baleur Visual & Fluff mod compilation v1.0 - 11/29/2011 6:01:58 PM   
Gareth_Bryne

You da man!!!!!

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 2
RE: Baleur Visual & Fluff mod compilation v1.0 - 11/29/2011 6:08:49 PM   
tjhkkr

This is a fine piece of work.
Thank you!

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to Gareth_Bryne)
Post #: 3
RE: Baleur Visual & Fluff mod compilation v1.0 - 11/29/2011 10:19:49 PM   
Mozo

Thank you, I'm loving all of the changes. The link to the star name text file doesn't seem to work. If it's just me, I apologize in advance.

Again, wonderful work and thanks.

Mozo

NVM - I found the text file. Thanks again

< Message edited by Mozo -- 11/29/2011 10:36:25 PM >

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 4
RE: Baleur Visual & Fluff mod compilation v1.0 - 12/2/2011 4:36:12 AM   
Baleur

Thx for the nice words :)
Had some plans for making the component icons different per upgrade tier, but the game seems to use the same first icon regardless, instead of another one for an upgraded Command Center for example.
Also had some plans for the gray nebula gas that forms arms etc in map, we'll see how that goes

(in reply to Mozo)
Post #: 5
RE: Baleur Visual & Fluff mod compilation v1.0 - 12/2/2011 7:14:26 AM   
RooksBailey

Wow!  This is a fantastic package!  I haven't tried any mods for DW yet, but I now know which mod is going to be first!  Great job! 

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 6
RE: Baleur Visual & Fluff mod compilation v1.0 - 12/4/2011 5:42:52 AM   
the1sean

Thank you. I especially like the planet damage overlay, new planet art, and new star art!

(in reply to RooksBailey)
Post #: 7
RE: Baleur Visual & Fluff mod compilation v1.0 - 12/5/2011 12:20:35 AM   
Rosseau

The big (8 meg) galaxy_backdrop is striking. But I am getting an unhandled exception during loading with Legends.

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 8
RE: Baleur Visual & Fluff mod compilation v1.0 - 12/5/2011 11:29:50 AM   
Baleur

Try opening it in an image program and save it with more compression. Hm, i might end up doing a second pack like that.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 9
RE: Baleur Visual & Fluff mod compilation v1.0 - 12/5/2011 11:42:36 PM   
Rosseau

I, for one, would appreciate that. I am not good with image programs and the vanilla galaxy map looks so uninspiring compared with yours.

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 10
RE: Baleur Visual & Fluff mod compilation v1.0 - 12/11/2011 1:25:30 PM   
MisterBenn

This is a great addition, thank you. I'd like to offer special thanks for replacing that default sound effect for "our ship is under attack" !!!

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 11
RE: Baleur Visual & Fluff mod compilation v1.1 - 12/23/2011 8:22:05 PM   
MisterBenn

Hello there, let me say first of all that I love this pack. The graphics are great and I especially like the AlienHand music you included too. It really fits well with quite a desolate edge to it... it must have sounded great in Eve too!

I play with the AlienHand stuff all the time now and I thought the diplo music was always a bit jarring when it kicked in since the feel was so different - so I edited together some replacement clips from the AlienHand tracks beyond track 12 that aren't included in this mod. If you are interested, they continue the Alien Hand theme when you are conducting diplomacy and match the mood of the empire you are dealing with (as much as could be done with AlienHand!). I uploaded the file here, it is a set of mp3s to copy into Sounds\Effects inside your game directory. The password on the file is "Distant Worlds". :)

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 12
RE: Baleur Visual & Fluff mod compilation v1.1 - 12/27/2011 1:16:44 PM   
Krupinski

Just want to say: THANK YOU!

(in reply to MisterBenn)
Post #: 13
RE: Baleur Visual & Fluff mod compilation v1.1 - 7/23/2012 10:25:02 AM   
Bleek

I really like the planet art, I'll be using those!

(in reply to Krupinski)
Post #: 14
RE: Baleur Visual & Fluff mod compilation v1.1 - 7/31/2012 3:22:39 PM   
Setekh

Good artwork.

Just out of interest, did you also make a small mod for Civ 5?

(in reply to Bleek)
Post #: 15
RE: Baleur Visual & Fluff mod compilation v1.1 - 8/24/2012 2:51:51 AM   
jpinard

Will this work with all the expansions too (ie. changes all planet/stars and not just some of them)?

(in reply to Setekh)
Post #: 16
RE: Baleur Visual & Fluff mod compilation v1.1 - 12/11/2012 12:27:32 AM   
Baleur

Necro'd
Yes it works with all expansions.
And i'm not sure Setekh...... lol! I might have? I've almost forgotten anything to do with Civ 5.

(in reply to jpinard)
Post #: 17
RE: Baleur Visual & Fluff mod compilation v1.1 - 1/6/2013 12:33:30 PM   
Buio

Download links does not work.

(in reply to Baleur)
Post #: 18
RE: Baleur Visual & Fluff mod compilation v1.1 - 5/25/2013 10:51:53 PM   
AstroCat

I'm totally new to DW and was wondering if it was still possible to download this mod?

(in reply to Buio)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> Baleur Visual & Fluff mod compilation v1.1 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI