Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 1944 April 19

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: 1944 April 19 Page: <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 1944 April 19 - 10/16/2014 7:35:14 AM   
GreyJoy

Imho the result is related with the huge overstacking. I know you've done this way before at Truk and in other atoll landings, but I do believe that, at least for the initial landing, a non-overstacked assault should be preferable.
Also supply level must be too high for the Japanese. You should have bombed the place a bit more and destroyed more supplies before landing.
However I do believe that now that the fight has started, those Japanese units will drink so much supplies in a very short term that you will be able to overcome them

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1951
RE: 1944 April 19 - 10/16/2014 7:48:47 AM   
witpqs

It's rough terrain. Of course the shock attack is mandatory as it is island size 2 (mandatory for island size 1 or 2 and for atoll terrain of any size). I sure won't be using shock attack voluntarily!

When the other two USA divisions come ashore they will shock attack but my experience so far is that units subsequent to the first landing take far less damage. If the current units are sufficiently recovered I will have them deliberate attack to support the landing.

The artillery bombardment only includes guns with a long enough range. The other guns must be AA, AT, mortars, and maybe other very short range guns. It was the one bright spot of land combat for the day that the Allied counter-fire to the Japanese bombardment was so effective. About 10 of those would reduce resistance to nothing!

All of the light tanks were destroyed. The Shermans fared much better but still took a beating.

After the two reserve USA IDs I have nothing prepared for Iwo Jima, so they better be enough. Wasp is almost to Truk, then she and Bay of Bengal will move up to add their support. I might just put one of the extra (and fully trained) carrier fighter groups on Bay of Bengal to beef up CAP. One group flies Corsairs, the rest Hellcats. I think I have 3 or 4 groups available.

Naval bombardment matters a lot. The problem is the turn around for rearming, so I am going to try and have at least one group bombard all the time.

Question on kamikazes: is there some delay for their use after the activation trigger? Does it take X amount of time to convert a group and get it operational?

Oh, and of course both USMC and USA now have deficits in squad pools.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1952
RE: 1944 April 19 - 10/16/2014 7:55:46 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

Imho the result is related with the huge overstacking. I know you've done this way before at Truk and in other atoll landings, but I do believe that, at least for the initial landing, a non-overstacked assault should be preferable.
Also supply level must be too high for the Japanese. You should have bombed the place a bit more and destroyed more supplies before landing.
However I do believe that now that the fight has started, those Japanese units will drink so much supplies in a very short term that you will be able to overcome them

Interesting. I disagree on the over stack because I got no (-) for disruption or fatigue. Stacking level is below 200%. I know that it has an effect, but it couldn't have such a huge impact without it showing up in the combat report. When the other two division come ashore I might have to pull out somebody to reduce the stacking level at that point.

I could have focused more aerial bombing on the airfield previously. Naval bombardment was more difficult to do until the carriers were on station as it would be a cat and mouse game. I did get in a raid or two earlier, but nothing sustained. Hopefully now the naval bombardments and auto-bombardments will take their toll. All of the bombers, and some more assigned to the task, have been set to ground attack at 10,000 ft. The disruption of the AA units should help them. If they have an easy go I will lower them to 5,000 ft.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1953
RE: 1944 April 19 - 10/16/2014 8:03:57 AM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Question on kamikazes: is there some delay for their use after the activation trigger? Does it take X amount of time to convert a group and get it operational?

No, you can immediately convert a sentai to Kamikaze. You just need the time to change the pilots from the usual skills to the LOWNAV Skill, but if you have already prepared for that, there should be no delay.

About the distruption in the combat report, I've found that, when overstacking, results don't always show a (-) distruption, but from the overall result you can easily see how bad the oversatcking have influenced the final outcome.
An "easy" way to prevent it, is, for the next landing, to prepare a HUGE empty amphib fleet and load the allied trashed units the same night you start unloading the 2 reserve divisions. doing that, when the combat resolution phase will begin, you should have far less men on the beachhead and, hopefully, only those really able to fight

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1954
RE: 1944 April 19 - 10/16/2014 8:18:14 AM   
koniu

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

quote:

No, you can immediately convert a sentai to Kamikaze. You just need the time to change the pilots from the usual skills to the LOWNAV Skill, but if you have already prepared for that, there should be no delay.

Unit need to have morale at lest 90 and average pilot XP below 50. (need confirmation)
So You should have happy but green pilots in unit to convert

< Message edited by koniu -- 10/16/2014 9:21:53 AM >

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1955
RE: 1944 April 19 - 10/16/2014 8:23:21 AM   
witpqs

Thanks guys!

Follow up question: after a kamikaze unit is converted, can good pilots be brought in, or are only green pilots allowed in kami units?

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 1956
RE: 1944 April 19 - 10/16/2014 8:25:05 AM   
koniu

quote:

Thanks guys!

Follow up question: after a kamikaze unit is converted, can good pilots be brought in, or are only green pilots allowed in kami units?

You can use any pilots You want. Green pilots are only needed to conversion

EDIT: Also when You set up Your kamikaze unit to attack remember that whatever altitude You set them they will always arrive over target at 9000ft. It is hard coded. Only skill used by kamikaze is LovNaval

< Message edited by koniu -- 10/16/2014 9:29:08 AM >

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1957
RE: 1944 April 19 - 10/16/2014 4:47:33 PM   
witpqs

Good to know - he has been hording pilots for missile guidance I am sure!

I guess I can expect an attack next turn (which will likely not be until tomorrow, BTW).

Michael was kind enough to confirm how AGC/Amphib HQ currently works:
quote:

Hi
check code again.
The bonus is for any amphib TF unloading in same hex as a TF containing a Army/Corp/Amp HQ , which is prep'ed for the target. (If more than one HQ in TFs, the best value one is used. This will be the Amp HQ if present.) If the HQ is Amp or the ship the HQ is on, is an AGC, it increases the bonus much more.

I like this way. It did apply here, as I had a regular HQ along.

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 1958
RE: 1944 April 19 - 10/16/2014 5:02:00 PM   
BBfanboy

Thanks for researching that. Good to know that the bonus is for being in the same hex, not within the 1-hex command distance.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1959
1944 April 20 - 10/20/2014 6:37:30 AM   
witpqs

1944 April 20

The Empire captured:

The Allies captured:

There were Imperial amphibious or airborne operations at:

There were Allied amphibious or airborne operations at:

Our subs got a PB.

Just air attacks in China. Those at the front seem about or at most slightly more than previously, so either the air fleet that was hitting Chungking day after day is resting or those groups are redeploying elsewhere. It will be a while before we know about the commitment of ex-Chungking besieging ground troops.

Boring same in Burma. Richelieu has reached Bombay and is now departing for Colombo.

Allied bombardments in the Pacific.
quote:

Allied Ships Bombarding Rabaul
Allied Ships Bombarding Manado
Allied Ships Bombarding Iwo-jima

The IJN fleet drew first blood by sinking a DD in a group that reacted (without engaging) and was away from CAP.
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Chichi-jima at 109,73

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 78 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 25 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5 Zero x 21
B6N2 Jill x 10
D4Y1 Judy x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
B6N2 Jill: 3 damaged
B6N2 Jill: 2 destroyed by flak
D4Y1 Judy: 10 damaged
D4Y1 Judy: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
DD Halligan, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Capps
DD Marshall

Aircraft Attacking:
10 x B6N2 Jill launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 45cm Type 91 Torp
8 x D4Y1 Judy releasing from 3000'
Naval Attack: 1 x 500 kg SAP Bomb
1 x D4Y1 Judy releasing from 3000'
3 x D4Y1 Judy releasing from 2000'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A number of friendly and enemy search planes lost to CAP, and our boys reported hits on an AMc (4), a DD (2), a CL, and a PT. Did any of them happen? Supply continues to unload, but no counter-landing bombardment was triggered by that unloading. Is this a recent code change? Drat! We'll just have to bombard on our own. Two more days until the two large convoys make it to Rota to pick up the two reserve divisions, but before they can load they will have to unload the leftover supply on board. If the troops on Iwo Jima recover sufficiently in the meantime they might get in a deliberate attack. 27x LST are loading supply at Guam to drop at Iwo Jima. The objective is to push absolutely as much supply as possible onto the island so that the troops there are always swimming in a surplus.

The first attack at Manado was so-so. The 31st Infantry Regiment had just arrived in-hex and did not participate. The 2/6 Armoured Rgt did participate but they are preparing for Cam Ranh Bay. The NZ 2nd Rgt (armoured) at Makassar has been switched to preparing for Manado and will be brought over from Watampone (they should get there by road in 3 or 4 days).
quote:

Ground combat at Manado (75,99)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 11568 troops, 138 guns, 195 vehicles, Assault Value = 523

Defending force 11594 troops, 93 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 290

Allied adjusted assault: 345

Japanese adjusted defense: 827

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 4)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
516 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 43 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Allied ground losses:
490 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 60 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Assaulting units:
2/6th Armoured Regiment
31st Infantry Regiment
2nd Australian Division

Defending units:
23rd Nav Gd Unit
42nd Infantry Regiment
32nd Nav Gsn Unit
Yokosuka 2nd SNLF
11th Air Flotilla
9th JNAF Coy
53rd JNAF AF Unit

Watampone airfield has been built to size 8, and Watampone is now host to all of the B-29 squadrons, save three just loading aboard transports at Aden. They should be well rested and ready for action as soon as Watampone hits size 9, or sooner in a smaller raid. Provided that supply is adequate. Fighter protection over the base is quite strong and flak rating is 27 with more on the way.

Rabaul invasion tomorrow. We've bought out the 5th Australian Division, which is preparing for Cam Ranh Bay.

Here are the troops on Iwo Jima. All of the infantry units and two of the artillery units took replacements today. 438 AV today versus 333 AV yesterday - quite a significant recovery. Two of the artillery units are equipped with 155mm and they will bombard tomorrow. The other two units have 105mm and 5.5in and will stand down.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1960
RE: 1944 April 20 - 10/20/2014 6:38:05 AM   
witpqs

You can see that the IJN carriers are 10 hexes away from the USN fleet carriers. Cat and mouse looking for a range 8 strike! Our carriers are going to stay put tomorrow. Another pulse of subs is being sent out from Guam to swarm the area around the IJN fleet elements' current location. Wasp and Bay of Bengal are leaving Truk for Guam. I'm still undecided about whether to embark additional fighter squadrons in place of dive bombers. We have four such USN carrier trained squadrons available, three with Hellcats and one with Corsairs, all with fully trained pilots.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1961
RE: 1944 April 20 - 10/20/2014 6:38:27 AM   
witpqs

Today's aircraft losses. The Betties were shot down and otherwise lost raiding Samarinda. This is not a one-day occurrence and hopefully is eating up some experienced crews.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1962
RE: 1944 April 20 - 10/20/2014 2:28:49 PM   
BBfanboy

Difficult question on the fighters vs. bombers on the carriers. On the one hand the kamikaze threat from LBA indicates fighters, but we know that massive fighter cap is no guarantee of safety either.
When there is no clear better choice, sometimes I choose both - i.e. one carrier gets extra bombers and one gets extra fighters.
If you only have one carrier you can add a squadron to, I would choose the fighters hoping it will help.
After all, your presence close to Japan depends on your carriers surviving LBA, not on KB being hit.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1963
RE: 1944 April 20 - 10/20/2014 4:18:30 PM   
witpqs

I've been trying to figure out the LBA risk and the LBA-LRCAP risk. The IJN sighting is pretty far from any large airfields so I figure that even LRCAP is unlikely. The only IJ airbase near my fleet is Chichi-Jima, which scouts at 53% damage and I have detailed two CA to hit it again this turn.

The other consideration is, of course, to avoid battle, avoid an 8-hex battle, or surge up and give battle full on. The fact is that the fleet is going to be there for a while (likely at least two weeks more), so all three of those things are in play. The wildcard - as I see it - is just what other carriers does he have that are completely out of search range? The group that has been scouted so far, by that I mean the way that it has been scouted, the USN fleet should be able to trounce. But I figure he would not be dangling such a tasty morsel without good reason.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1964
RE: 1944 April 20 - 10/21/2014 4:54:38 AM   
BBfanboy

Bait, huh. Ever seen a squirrel steal the bait from a trap without getting caught?
Of course it would help to know how the trap is set and where. Great job for subs (assuming a naval trap).

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1965
RE: 1944 April 20 - 10/21/2014 7:01:41 AM   
witpqs

I have a lot of subs up there already, so if he does have other carriers around he's done a good job of concealing them. He does a good job of things, so I'm not putting it past him. The additional subs that will really flood the IJN station will be there in about 4 days. If I can avoid combat or at least be patient enough to let him come to me - and clever enough to avoid an 8-hex battle - then things will be more heavily in our favor. The extra subs ought to make it actually risky for his carriers just to remain on station.

Thinking back to the recently torpedoed IJN carrier (I think it was Junyo) presents the possibility that he has split his carriers into major groups. If so, the ones sighted so far might be the only ones around. They are 7 hexes from some size 3 and 4 airfields, and 8 hexes from a size 10 airfield and one or two other large bases. If he wants LBA support I think he is already at the outer limit, but I could be wrong.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1966
1944 April 21 - 10/22/2014 7:46:16 PM   
witpqs

1944 April 21

The Empire captured:

The Allies captured:

Rabaul

Our subs got two xAK.

Still the relative quiet in China.

Big Imperial sweeps over Burma, and they had the first team in, taking down a lot more of ours than we got of theirs. That was somewhat made up for when a ground bombing mission was still mobbed. In return our B-24 darkened the skies over Chiang Mai for most of the morning. Along with devastating the base they scored 19 supply hits, which was the point of the strike.

quote:

Allied Ships Bombarding Chichi-jima
Allied Ships Bombarding Manado

This turn there was a Japanese bombardment at Iwo Jima. Both that and our bombardment went poorly.
quote:

Ground combat at Iwo-jima (108,77)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 312 troops, 12 guns, 40 vehicles, Assault Value = 400

Defending force 38420 troops, 722 guns, 600 vehicles, Assault Value = 448

Japanese ground losses:
Guns lost 16 (11 destroyed, 5 disabled)
Vehicles lost 24 (24 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
92 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 5 (4 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Vehicles lost 4 (3 destroyed, 1 disabled)

Assaulting units:
65th Brigade
7th Ind.Mixed Brigade
Iwo-jima Naval Guard Unit
1st Hvy.Artillery Regiment
7th Air Division
69th Field AA Battalion
71st Field AA Battalion
26th Special Base Force

Defending units:
7th Infantry Division
3rd Marine Division
1st (Spec) Cavalry Division
1st Marine Division
763rd Tank Battalion
249th Field Artillery Battalion
225th Field Artillery Battalion
198th Field Artillery Battalion
XI US Corps
33rd Medium Regiment

Allied Bombardment attack

Attacking force 792 troops, 131 guns, 68 vehicles, Assault Value = 441

Defending force 19023 troops, 244 guns, 66 vehicles, Assault Value = 400

Japanese ground losses:
96 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
Guns lost 40 (29 destroyed, 11 disabled)

Assaulting units:
3rd Marine Division
7th Infantry Division
1st Marine Division
763rd Tank Battalion
XI US Corps
33rd Medium Regiment

Defending units:
7th Ind.Mixed Brigade
65th Brigade
69th Field AA Battalion
7th Air Division
71st Field AA Battalion
26th Special Base Force

The fleet reports sinking two Imperial subs near Iwo Jima. A mine sweeper was racked by shore batteries while clearing a mine while escorting the amphibious command ship but should survive. The bombardment of Chichi Jima was very effective.
quote:

Night Naval bombardment of Chichi-jima at 111,74

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIc Tojo: 26 damaged
Ki-44-IIc Tojo: 3 destroyed on ground
J2M2 Jack: 1 damaged
G4M1 Betty: 1 damaged
N1K1-J George: 7 damaged
N1K1-J George: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
CA Minneapolis
CA Astoria

Japanese ground losses:
50 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Guns lost 3 (1 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Airbase hits 6
Runway hits 14
Port hits 12
Port fuel hits 5
Port supply hits 1

SOC-1 Seagull acting as spotter for CA Minneapolis
CA Minneapolis firing at Chichi-jima
CA Astoria firing at Chichi-jima

The IJN carrier/battleship fleet north of Iwo Jima has vanished. Wasp and Bay of Bengal will make Guam tomorrow and delay there while their air groups are reshuffled. Wasp is currently officially over stacked as a result of having standard group sizes. She will keep her size 40 fighter squadron (certified killers all) but put ashore her DB and TB groups in favor of a size 36 fighter squadron. That will bring her air complement to 76, 100% of capacity. Bay of Bengal will put ashore her fighter (40) squadron and her DB (34) squadron and bring on two size 36 fighter squadrons. That will allow her starting fighter squadron to train ashore. Her TB squadron will scout and harry subs. Meanwhile the fleet around Iwo Jima is doing their reposition dance to thwart enemy attacks.

Here is what we are up against at Rabaul.
quote:

Ground combat at Rabaul (106,125)

Attacking force 2411 troops, 27 guns, 5 vehicles, Assault Value = 111

Defending force 4457 troops, 78 guns, 25 vehicles, Assault Value = 138

Allied ground losses:
93 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled

Assaulting units:
Kure 5th SNLF
7th Indpt SNLF Coy
42nd Naval Guard Unit
1st Art.Mortar Regiment
24th Special Base Force
23rd Special Base Force
8th Base Force
12th Air Flotilla
58th JNAF AF Unit

Defending units:
23rd Australian Brigade

Our troops are disrupted (32%) and will recover before attacking.

A combination of sweep and airfield strike on Tarakan left a mark.
quote:

Morning Air attack on Tarakan , at 67,91

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid spotted at 13 NM, estimated altitude 39,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 2
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 7

Allied aircraft
P-38J Lightning x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-44-IIc Tojo: 4 destroyed

No Allied losses

Aircraft Attacking:
16 x P-38J Lightning sweeping at 35000 feet *

CAP engaged:
Genzan Ku S-1/B with N1K1-J George (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
2 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 16000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 12 minutes
64th Sentai with Ki-44-IIc Tojo (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 0 being recalled, 7 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 11000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 11000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 35 minutes

Morning Air attack on Tarakan , at 67,91

Raid spotted at 34 NM, estimated altitude 14,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 1

Allied aircraft
B-24J Liberator x 29

Japanese aircraft losses
N1K1-J George: 1 damaged
N1K1-J George: 4 destroyed on ground
Ki-49-IIa Helen: 3 destroyed on ground
Ki-49-IIb Helen: 1 destroyed on ground

No Allied losses

Airbase hits 15
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 40

Aircraft Attacking:
11 x B-24J Liberator bombing from 10000 feet
Airfield Attack: 10 x 500 lb GP Bomb
9 x B-24J Liberator bombing from 10000 feet
9 x B-24J Liberator bombing from 10000 feet

CAP engaged:
Genzan Ku S-1/B with N1K1-J George (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 1 scrambling)
Group patrol altitude is 16000 , scrambling fighters to 19000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 30 minutes

But the strike on Cagayan left a mark on both sides as a P-38 group made itself vulnerable by flying escorts for their big friends, which was not intentional.
quote:

Morning Air attack on Cagayan , at 79,89

Raid detected at 51 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 17 minutes

Japanese aircraft
N1K1-J George x 11

Allied aircraft
B-24D1 Liberator x 15
P-38J Lightning x 25

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-38J Lightning: 6 destroyed

Airbase hits 6
Airbase supply hits 9
Runway hits 19

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B-24D1 Liberator bombing from 10000 feet
11 x B-24D1 Liberator bombing from 10000 feet

CAP engaged:
S-301 Hikotai Det A with N1K1-J George (3 airborne, 6 on standby, 2 scrambling)
3 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 19000 , scrambling fighters between 3000 and 19000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 27 minutes

As feared Watampone is now short of supply due to the influx of the supply-hog 4EB. Lots more is already on the way.

Here are today's air losses. The P-38 losses were on that unintended escort mission over Cagayan.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1967
RE: 1944 April 21 - 10/22/2014 7:46:53 PM   
witpqs

Here are the troops at Iwo Jima. The two big-gunned arty units that bombarded did not suffer the counter bombardment, but somebody did!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1968
1944 April 22 - 10/22/2014 10:13:02 PM   
witpqs

1944 April 22

The Empire captured:

The Allies captured:

Our subs got two PB.

The same in China. There are at least some units that appear to be moving toward the northern route to Tsuyung.

Strikes on Rangoon went well, scoring 16 supply hits among others.

quote:

We lost a 105mm equipped arty unit in the bombardment at Iwo Jima. They were not bombarding, so that all took take during whatever counter-counter-battery duel that took place. There was no Japanese bombardment.
quote:

Attacking force 780 troops, 110 guns, 68 vehicles, Assault Value = 477

Defending force 19018 troops, 244 guns, 66 vehicles, Assault Value = 408

Japanese ground losses:
110 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
Guns lost 22 (21 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Vehicles lost 17 (17 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
3rd Marine Division
7th Infantry Division
1st Marine Division
763rd Tank Battalion
XI US Corps
33rd Medium Regiment

Defending units:
7th Ind.Mixed Brigade
65th Brigade
71st Field AA Battalion
69th Field AA Battalion
7th Air Division
26th Special Base Force

Wasp and Bay of Bengal have realigned their air groups as noted yesterday and are steaming for Iwo Jima. 76 Hellcats on Wasp, 40 Hellcats, 36 Corsairs, and 18 TBD on Bay of Bengal. We sent two DD TF to guard against any convoy getting to Chichi Jima. The Empire responded.
quote:

Morning Air attack on TF, near Chichi-jima at 111,73

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 58 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 20 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 5

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 2 damaged

Allied Ships
DD Remey

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x G4M2 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Chichi-jima at 111,73

Raid detected at 43 NM, estimated altitude 20,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G4M2 Betty x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
G4M2 Betty: 4 damaged
G4M2 Betty: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
DD Capps
DD Remey

Aircraft Attacking:
17 x G4M2 Betty launching torpedoes at 200 feet

They appeared to come from Tokyo or Yokohama.

We lost a bunch of B-24 over Tarakan, but it appears that the Empire has now withdrawn aircraft from the base. The invasion of Basilan (next to Jolo) is setting sail for the vicinity of Sangi. From there they will move toward Tarakan, then cut to Basilan.

IJN CA are noted heading east from Soerabaja. The CA TF at Kendari is scouted, but the big DD group under Burke is not, so they are moving to patrol the waters southeast of Makassar to intercept any strike at Watampone.

Our troops at Rabaul are fully recovered and will make their first attack tomorrow.

A group of 8 CVE with mostly partially trained air crew is departing Portland for Pearl Harbor.

Here are the units on Iwo Jima. they continue to recover disruption and AV.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1969
RE: 1944 April 22 - 10/22/2014 10:13:23 PM   
witpqs

Today's air losses.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1970
1944 April 23 - 10/24/2014 7:35:11 PM   
witpqs

1944 April 23

The Empire captured:

The Allies captured:

Our subs got an SS, an E, a DD, and a PB.

Same in China, with some Intel on ex-Chungking besiegers moving to the front in China.

9 supply hits on Pegu. Again tomorrow.

quote:

The counter-counter bombardments at Iwo Jima are still costly for us. One of our 155mm units is highly disrupted, so both will stop bombarding for now. Plus, the line troops are almost ready for a deliberate attack. The 1st Cav Div has disruption of 24% but all others are in single digits. All four infantry units took replacements today, too.
quote:

Attacking force 2360 troops, 19 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 109

Defending force 4433 troops, 78 guns, 25 vehicles, Assault Value = 133

Assaulting units:
7th Indpt SNLF Coy
Kure 5th SNLF
42nd Naval Guard Unit
8th Base Force
24th Special Base Force
23rd Special Base Force
58th JNAF AF Unit

Defending units:
23rd Australian Brigade

Attacking force 636 troops, 94 guns, 54 vehicles, Assault Value = 516

Defending force 18948 troops, 244 guns, 66 vehicles, Assault Value = 403

Japanese ground losses:
46 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
Guns lost 36 (16 destroyed, 20 disabled)
Vehicles lost 2 (2 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Assaulting units:
7th Infantry Division
1st Marine Division
3rd Marine Division
763rd Tank Battalion
XI US Corps
33rd Medium Regiment

Defending units:
7th Ind.Mixed Brigade
65th Brigade
7th Air Division
71st Field AA Battalion
69th Field AA Battalion
26th Special Base Force

Meanwhile the Navy is trying to keep their heads down.
quote:

Night Naval bombardment of Iwo-jima at 108,77 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

11 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
CA Wichita
CA San Francisco

Japanese ground losses:
36 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

SOC-1 Seagull acting as spotter for CA Wichita
CA Wichita firing at Iwo-jima Naval Guard Unit
Iwo-jima Naval Guard Unit firing at CA Wichita
CA San Francisco firing at Iwo-jima Naval Guard Unit
Iwo-jima Naval Guard Unit firing at CA San Francisco

Night Naval bombardment of Chichi-jima at 111,74

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
J2M2 Jack: 1 damaged
J2M2 Jack: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-44-IIc Tojo: 2 damaged
Ki-44-IIc Tojo: 1 destroyed on ground

Allied Ships
CA Baltimore
CA Vincennes

Japanese ground losses:
75 casualties reported
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 5 (1 destroyed, 4 disabled)

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 12
Port hits 6
Port fuel hits 7

SOC-1 Seagull acting as spotter for CA Baltimore
CA Baltimore firing at Chichi-jima
SOC-1 Seagull acting as spotter for CA Vincennes
CA Vincennes firing at 35th Ind.Mixed Brigade

The two reserve USA ID are loading at Rota. The Almagan is loading at Saipan but will be an anticlimax as there seem to be less than 1,000 troops left there.

The attack at Rabaul got things rolling.
quote:

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 4433 troops, 78 guns, 25 vehicles, Assault Value = 133

Defending force 5621 troops, 57 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 109

Allied adjusted assault: 25

Japanese adjusted defense: 201

Allied assault odds: 1 to 8 (fort level 4)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), leaders(-), disruption(-)
Attacker: leaders(-), fatigue(-)

Japanese ground losses:
239 casualties reported
Squads: 7 destroyed, 14 disabled
Units destroyed 1

Allied ground losses:
110 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 14 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Assaulting units:
23rd Australian Brigade

Defending units:
7th Indpt SNLF Coy
Kure 5th SNLF
42nd Naval Guard Unit
8th Base Force
23rd Special Base Force
24th Special Base Force
58th JNAF AF Unit

The 23rd is moderately disrupted and will take time to recover, and especially try to get rid of the fatigue (-).

Here are the troops at Iwo Jima. As you can see, their strong recovery continues.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1971
RE: 1944 April 23 - 10/24/2014 7:35:42 PM   
witpqs

The invasion of Basilan is now in dangerous waters.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1972
1944 April 24 - 10/25/2014 9:21:42 PM   
witpqs

1944 April 24

The Empire captured:

The Allies captured:

Our subs got an xAK.

Same in China.

Only 4 supply hits at Pegu today. But there is a ground unit moving through Pegu toward Rangoon. Moving units do not get fortification bonus and Pegu is clear terrain, so all the B-24 - and a mess of other bombers - have been ordered to ground attack Pegu.

We now have recon on Bangkok and Sabang in addition to Saigon. Fighters and bombers at both, and lots of troops (~30,000) at Sabang. Sabang: 21F, 49B, 34A; Bangkok 45F, 31B, 25A; Saigon 29F, 0B, 27A. So the deep raids by the B-29s have spread out the fighter coverage, but of course the Empire still has millions of those things. There is only one more straggler B-29 left to transfer from Akyab, but the supplies, infrastructure and support remain. Courtesy of the recent influx of base forces to the theater, Akyab will soon be the main 4EB base, allowing deeper strikes into Burma and Thailand. That will help with the eventual invasion of Pegu.

quote:

Although supplies unloaded there was no Japanese bombardment at Iwo Jima. Escorted by only SC and AM types, two of the LST took a beating but will survive if subs don't get them. DD have been transferred in for the remainder of the unloading. The ground troops are in good shape with the exception of that artillery unit with high disruption. They recovered smartly but need about two more days before ready to fire effective missions. The reserve divisions completed loading in one day, including about 80,000 tons of supply. There are already 125,000 tons on the island plus more independently on the way.

The Japanese bombardment of our Bde at Rabaul did some damage, but the troops are ready for the next attack anyway.
quote:

Attacking force 2123 troops, 19 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 89

Defending force 4354 troops, 78 guns, 25 vehicles, Assault Value = 123

Allied ground losses:
14 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Guns lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Assaulting units:
Kure 5th SNLF
7th Indpt SNLF Coy
8th Base Force
24th Special Base Force
23rd Special Base Force
58th JNAF AF Unit

Defending units:
23rd Australian Brigade

We lost about 7 B-24 hitting Tarakan again. The Basilan invasion forces are unseen by the Empire AFAIK; D-Day is tomorrow. In about a week Watampone will be at size 9 airfield and by then will also have ample supply for B-29 operations. After Basilan is seized we will have long range recon available to target Palembang.

North Carolina and Washington have finished upgrades at Pearl Harbor and are heading for Truk. Koepang has finally repaired completely and the port is now building.

Meanwhile there is another IJN sighting in the eastern Java Sea, although it is difficult to interpret.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by witpqs -- 10/25/2014 10:24:51 PM >

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1973
RE: 1944 April 24 - 10/25/2014 9:22:18 PM   
witpqs

Here are the troops on Iwo Jima. A deliberate attack is ordered for tomorrow. All bombardment groups within range (a 2x CA group and three 1x BB groups) will bombard, as will two surface action groups of 2x CL each. Bomber altidutes are being lowered as well. Weather is expected to be clear. All of the CVE-borne torpedo groups will also add their bombs to the attack preparation. That will reduce any counter-strike to an IJN carrier attack, but most of that danger has passed. We've also replaced the commander of the HQ on the island, and of one of the 155mm artillery units.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1974
RE: 1944 April 24 - 10/25/2014 9:22:40 PM   
witpqs

Bay of Bengal and Wasp have rendezvoused with the other fleet carriers and been integrated into those task forces.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1975
1944 April 25 - 10/28/2014 8:24:07 AM   
witpqs

1944 April 25

The Empire captured:

The Allies captured:

Basilan

Our subs came up empty.

Same in China, but a little more Intel. We now see one or more units at Kweiyang heading west toward Kunming.

We hit the ground units at Pegu and hopefully ruined the day for whoever is moving through. They are still there so the game is on again for tomorrow. These are the units that were hit at Pegu today.
quote:

1st RTA/C Division
13th Field Construction Battalion
21st Fld AA Gun Co
35th Fld AA Gun Co
20th AA Regiment

The "Retrained AA Units" unit arrived at Delhi, and (as intended in the scenario) I promptly disbanded it to put the squads into the pools. A critical shot of '43 British Infantry squads and a couple of other devices.

quote:

The attack at Iwo Jima went far better than the landing, but it was still too hard on the Allies for casualties. Again the fortification level was not reduced. Good thing the reserves are on the way!
quote:

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 37316 troops, 691 guns, 593 vehicles, Assault Value = 608

Defending force 18440 troops, 241 guns, 66 vehicles, Assault Value = 397

Allied adjusted assault: 329

Japanese adjusted defense: 651

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 5)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), disruption(-)
Attacker: disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
825 casualties reported
Squads: 8 destroyed, 63 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 16 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 11 disabled
Guns lost 18 (11 destroyed, 7 disabled)
Vehicles lost 15 (1 destroyed, 14 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
5364 casualties reported
Squads: 139 destroyed, 140 disabled
Non Combat: 48 destroyed, 53 disabled
Engineers: 26 destroyed, 17 disabled
Guns lost 96 (60 destroyed, 36 disabled)
Vehicles lost 76 (32 destroyed, 44 disabled)

Assaulting units:
7th Infantry Division
1st Marine Division
3rd Marine Division
763rd Tank Battalion
XI US Corps
33rd Medium Regiment

Defending units:
65th Brigade
7th Ind.Mixed Brigade
71st Field AA Battalion
7th Air Division
69th Field AA Battalion
26th Special Base Force

We lost about 9x B-25D1 attack bombers ordered at 5,000 ft (and therefore strafing) over Iwo Jima, so they are being pulled up to 6,000 ft. We also lost 4x LST in spite of having good escorts, so it was all on good Imperial CD fire (and underwater rocks - damn!). The bombardments went well and seemed effective, as did the air to ground bombing. Here are the naval bombardments at Iwo Jima.
quote:

Night Naval bombardment of Iwo-jima at 108,77

Allied Ships
CL Birmingham
CL Denver

Japanese ground losses:
113 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 20 disabled
Guns lost 8 (1 destroyed, 7 disabled)

Airbase hits 7
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 17
Port hits 10
Port supply hits 4

CL Birmingham firing at Iwo-jima
CL Denver firing at Iwo-jima

23 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
CA Minneapolis, Shell hits 1
CA Astoria

Japanese ground losses:
42 casualties reported

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 5
Port hits 3

CA Minneapolis firing at Iwo-jima Naval Guard Unit
Iwo-jima Naval Guard Unit firing at CA Minneapolis
CA Astoria firing at Iwo-jima

10 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Allied Ships
CL Columbia
CL Santa Fe

Japanese ground losses:
74 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled

CL Columbia firing at Iwo-jima Naval Guard Unit
Iwo-jima Naval Guard Unit firing at CL Columbia
CL Santa Fe firing at Iwo-jima Naval Guard Unit

Allied Ships
BB Oklahoma

Japanese ground losses:
29 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled

BB Oklahoma firing at Iwo-jima Naval Guard Unit

Allied Ships
BB New Mexico

Japanese ground losses:
170 casualties reported
Non Combat: 7 destroyed, 11 disabled
Guns lost 8 (3 destroyed, 5 disabled)
Vehicles lost 5 (3 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Airbase hits 4
Runway hits 7
Port hits 8

BB New Mexico firing at Iwo-jima

Allied Ships
BB Idaho

Japanese ground losses:
74 casualties reported
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 6 (4 destroyed, 2 disabled)

Airbase hits 1
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 2
Port hits 6

BB Idaho firing at Iwo-jima

The landing at Almagan goes in tomorrow, and as of today recon shows the base empty.

The attack at Rabaul went well. The leader is good, so I guess we just got unlucky with the leader(-). They will rest a day or two and then repeat.
quote:

Attacking force 2123 troops, 19 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 89

Defending force 4382 troops, 77 guns, 25 vehicles, Assault Value = 122

Japanese ground losses:
7 casualties reported

Allied ground losses:
6 casualties reported

Assaulting units:
Kure 5th SNLF
7th Indpt SNLF Coy
8th Base Force
24th Special Base Force
23rd Special Base Force
58th JNAF AF Unit

Defending units:
23rd Australian Brigade

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 4376 troops, 77 guns, 25 vehicles, Assault Value = 121

Defending force 5169 troops, 57 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 88

Allied engineers reduce fortifications to 3

Allied adjusted assault: 43

Japanese adjusted defense: 77

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 3)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), disruption(-), experience(-)
Attacker: leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
176 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 18 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
101 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 17 disabled

Assaulting units:
23rd Australian Brigade

Defending units:
Kure 5th SNLF
7th Indpt SNLF Coy
8th Base Force
24th Special Base Force
23rd Special Base Force
58th JNAF AF Unit

This is the kind fight we wanted, low visibility and our DD against Imperial BB. In the end, we only survived. Two of our DD sank and one will require yard time.
quote:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Makassar at 65,107, Range 3,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Kongo
BB Haruna, Shell hits 2
DD Teruzuki, Shell hits 2
DD Niizuki, Shell hits 2
DD Shirayuki, Shell hits 8, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Allied Ships
DD Fletcher, Shell hits 11, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Ingersoll, Shell hits 7, on fire
DD O'Bannon
DD Owen, Shell hits 15, and is sunk
DD Picking, Shell hits 3
DD Halsey Powell
DD Pringle, Shell hits 1
DD Norman Scott

Reduced sighting due to 7% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 7% moonlight: 3,000 yards
Range closes to 24,000 yards...
Range closes to 18,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 18,000 yards
Range closes to 12,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 12,000 yards
Range closes to 9,000 yards...
Range closes to 7,000 yards...
Range closes to 5,000 yards...
Range closes to 3,000 yards...
CONTACT: Allies radar detects Japanese task force at 3,000 yards
Tanaka, Raizo crosses the 'T'
DD Pringle engages BB Kongo at 3,000 yards
DD Pringle engages DD Shirayuki at 3,000 yards
DD Picking engages DD Shirayuki at 3,000 yards
DD Picking engages DD Teruzuki at 3,000 yards
DD Ingersoll engages DD Shirayuki at 3,000 yards
BB Kongo engages DD Fletcher at 3,000 yards
Range closes to 2,000 yards
BB Haruna engages DD Fletcher at 2,000 yards
DD Shirayuki sunk by DD Pringle at 2,000 yards
BB Haruna engages DD Picking at 2,000 yards
BB Kongo engages DD Pringle at 2,000 yards
DD Niizuki engages DD Ingersoll at 2,000 yards
DD Picking engages DD Teruzuki at 2,000 yards
DD Owen sunk by BB Haruna at 2,000 yards
DD Niizuki engages DD O'Bannon at 2,000 yards
DD Teruzuki engages DD Ingersoll at 2,000 yards
DD Niizuki engages DD Fletcher at 2,000 yards
Massive explosion on DD Fletcher
BB Haruna engages DD Fletcher at 2,000 yards
DD Pringle engages DD Niizuki at 2,000 yards
DD Niizuki engages DD Halsey Powell at 2,000 yards
DD Teruzuki engages DD Picking at 2,000 yards
DD Niizuki engages DD Ingersoll at 2,000 yards
Range increases to 3,000 yards
DD Teruzuki engages DD Norman Scott at 3,000 yards
BB Kongo engages DD Pringle at 3,000 yards
DD Niizuki engages DD Picking at 3,000 yards
DD Teruzuki engages DD Fletcher at 3,000 yards
DD O'Bannon engages DD Teruzuki at 3,000 yards
DD Teruzuki engages DD Ingersoll at 3,000 yards
Range increases to 5,000 yards
DD Teruzuki engages DD Norman Scott at 5,000 yards
DD O'Bannon engages BB Kongo at 5,000 yards
DD Teruzuki engages DD Halsey Powell at 5,000 yards
DD Teruzuki engages DD Ingersoll at 5,000 yards
DD Niizuki engages DD O'Bannon at 5,000 yards
DD Ingersoll engages DD Niizuki at 5,000 yards
Range increases to 8,000 yards
BB Haruna engages DD Fletcher at 8,000 yards
DD Niizuki engages DD Pringle at 8,000 yards
DD Halsey Powell engages DD Niizuki at 8,000 yards
DD Teruzuki engages DD Ingersoll at 8,000 yards
DD Teruzuki engages DD O'Bannon at 8,000 yards
Range increases to 11,000 yards
DD Niizuki engages DD Norman Scott at 11,000 yards
BB Kongo engages DD Ingersoll at 11,000 yards
DD Teruzuki engages DD Halsey Powell at 11,000 yards
DD Niizuki engages DD Picking at 11,000 yards
Task forces break off...

This battle provided protection for the stream of ships heading in and out of Watampone. Two or three more days should see enough supply added there to support a B-29 raid. The landings at Basilan went off without incident, with just the cargo ships to put ashore more supply. With the Rgt at Basilan attacking an undefended base tomorrow, the recon sub-group has been moved to Watampone, which puts them in normal range of Palembang. They will fly their first recon flight tomorrow.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1976
RE: 1944 April 25 - 10/28/2014 8:26:09 AM   
witpqs

Here are today's ship losses.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1977
RE: 1944 April 25 - 10/28/2014 8:27:42 AM   
witpqs

Here are the troops at Iwo Jima.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1978
RE: 1944 April 25 - 10/28/2014 8:29:11 AM   
witpqs

Here is the complete combat report.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1979
RE: 1944 April 25 - 10/28/2014 8:30:43 AM   
witpqs

When I post a multiple post AAR entry like I just did, I have never had a problem. Now I am getting this stupid pop up that wipes out the post.

Horse poop!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1980
Page:   <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: 1944 April 19 Page: <<   < prev  64 65 [66] 67 68   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI