Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Special locations inside storms

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Special locations inside storms Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Special locations inside storms - 11/30/2011 10:25:36 PM   
randal7

I've only played 2 games of any length of Legends so far, but both times I had a special location found inside a storm. The first time I found a resupply base in a storm. The base and surrounding ships were intact, but any time shipbuilding began at the base, it was immediately destroyed by the storm. The second game I found one of the hidden locations that has damaged ships inside a storm. Particularly in the second case, an AI would likely have lost constructor after constructor to the storm as it tried to repair these ships. Plus, it doesn't really make sense that these derelicts survive the storm for centuries.

Not to say it couldn't happen, but in dozens of games of DW:RotS, I never encountered this. Since it happened twice out of two games in Legends, maybe something got changed in the code that places the special locations.

On the plus side, the AI seems better at finding and exploiting these locations now.
Post #: 1
RE: Special locations inside storms - 12/1/2011 4:38:18 PM   
Fideach

It seems now with areas that have the "lightening' display, they will damage ships.

The base doesn't actually appear till you find a clue to its location, then it is spawned. So it can be destroyed before you get to it in certain locations by that nebula effect.

I've had bases damaged so much so that by the time I got to them, they wouldn't activate into my control. And I couldn't repair them fast enough to do so, so I lost the base and the ship sent to repair it.

And the computer does seem better at finding the locations now, I've been to a few just after they got there and took everything.

(in reply to randal7)
Post #: 2
RE: Special locations inside storms - 12/2/2011 7:09:42 AM   
elliotg

These bases are not destroyed because their armor has a sufficient Reactive Rating to avoid damage from nebulae storms.

However your own early armor tech will not have adequate Reactive Rating to be safe inside a nebula storm. So you should only build new ships at these locations after you have researched "Ablative Metals" in the Weapons tech tree.

AI empires know to avoid these locations until they have sufficient armor tech.

(in reply to randal7)
Post #: 3
RE: Special locations inside storms - 12/2/2011 4:26:59 PM   
Fideach

quote:

ORIGINAL: elliotg

These bases are not destroyed because their armor has a sufficient Reactive Rating to avoid damage from nebulae storms.

However your own early armor tech will not have adequate Reactive Rating to be safe inside a nebula storm. So you should only build new ships at these locations after you have researched "Ablative Metals" in the Weapons tech tree.

AI empires know to avoid these locations until they have sufficient armor tech.

Good to know. What about the special locations? I've lost the Refugee station thing to the storms. Could we make sure they can with stand them so we don't lose them by taking too long to get to them.

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 4
RE: Special locations inside storms - 12/3/2011 10:25:39 PM   
randal7

quote:

ORIGINAL: elliotg

Unless the armor is the first component built, won't the first (non-armor) component be destroyed anyway? If I understand right components are built in the order you put them when designing the ship, so if you fail to put armor first in a design you still can't build in this situation.

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> Special locations inside storms Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI