Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Silvermist

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Silvermist Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Silvermist - 12/10/2011 2:06:49 AM   
Whydmer

You cannot delay them, and your fleet will only make them stronger.

Just build an Ion weapon based fleet as quick as possible while evacuating everything else in its path.

< Message edited by Whydmer -- 12/10/2011 2:07:32 AM >

(in reply to Bison36)
Post #: 61
RE: Silvermist - 12/10/2011 2:07:36 AM   
Gelatinous Cube

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bison36

Houston, we have a problem. Fluffy has spawned two stars away from the human home world of Sol (actually Sol 3, Sol is a barren rock next to Sol, a star. This of course is confusing enough given the fact that humanity in its apparently infinite ability to create words decided to name the Star and every planet in their home system Sol. Hence Sol is orbited by Sols 1-7. I need to protect Sol the 3d, which is for simplicity sake is known simply as Sol 3.). Now my initial plan was to just ignore them until I developed a recreational requirement for cotton balls. I was thinking something along the lines of the Galactic Nail and Hair Salon. “Observe the awesome destructive nature of a black hole and the futile efforts of light trying to escape the event horizon while you enjoy a pedicure!” However, it appears these little fluff balls want to wipe humanity from the galaxy.

So if I understand this correctly. I need to send some of my finest to, uh, gloriously defend humanity, which is really just a delaying tactic. Note to self: Make a medal to honor the glorious defense of humanity against fluff balls for the navy. As I delay, I need to design and build a HUGE fleet of shieldless, Ion cannon laden warships? Once my armada of Ion cannon warships is complete send them off to a glorious battle with Fluffy and pray they wipe it out? Does this sound about right?

/sigh/ Humanity might be screwed. /sigh/

If it gets to that point, pretty much. One thing I like to do as soon as I see silvermist is released is to sell my Ion tech to other empires. Even though its giving them some tech, it helps their chances against the Silvermist. First step to not getting killed by them is making sure others have the equipment to go do the dying.

In your case, though, this looks like a case of pure sadorandomization. If you are still far from the Ion techs and don't have much of an empire yet, AND you don't think your neighbors can help.. bad times.

(in reply to Bison36)
Post #: 62
RE: Silvermist - 12/10/2011 2:29:35 AM   
Bison36

Well I am allied with the super hot blue skinned ladies! Actually my only fleet commander is one. Personally I figured they'd run my nail and hair salons, but whatever they want to command the human fleet and appearantly not a single human does. So you go to war with the navy you got and not the one you want.

I do have some ion tech, but a small spread out empire. This could be a tricky affair to pull in the resources to build the Ion armada. Well humanity depends on it, so it must be so. I'll also try and trade, sell, give away the ion tech to my other next door neighbors. However they are seals and most likely have already developed the tech, which they no doubt used in constructing some sick twisted fish catching contraption they transport ocean world to ocean world depleting them of all aquatic life. But perhaps this is a way to butter them up into accepting me has an ally worthy of a mutual defense pact.

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 63
RE: Silvermist - 12/10/2011 6:24:03 AM   
Fideach

This game must want me to lose... found the Volcano planet of Zentabia.. was yah! Rare resource... ruin on the planet releases another swarm of Silver Mists. That is three ruins in a single game that did that to me, all by my home sector!

(in reply to Bison36)
Post #: 64
RE: Silvermist - 12/10/2011 6:45:23 AM   
Gray Death

I met a Silvermist last day, it ate one of my Colonys at the outer Rim . As i had an ion fleet ready, an AI empire had colonized this world again. I don´t know where the silvermist is now, or if it got killed...but this thing troubles me...

(in reply to Fideach)
Post #: 65
RE: Silvermist - 12/10/2011 7:13:19 AM   
Fideach

Silvermists are troublesome! I spent years in game killing them off.. think I was at a total kill of around 20 of them.. then soon after I re-colonized the area.. they started showing back up out of no where >.< Those things are hard to track down and exterminate.
I spent a lot of time zooming back and forth between systems looking for the x's on the map in the corner to show up in system view so I could check to see if it was one of them. Kept Explorer ships equipped with long range scanner, hanging out between systems so I could look with out having to send ships.
I had stations built in between systems, but they just got destroyed by pirates left and right.

(in reply to Gray Death)
Post #: 66
RE: Silvermist - 12/10/2011 7:17:28 AM   
Gelatinous Cube

Question.. does a Gravity Well work on these punks? A potentially viable method for dealing with an overblown silvermist swarm might be starbases set bordering known trouble-areas, like a quarantine. They would have Gravity Wells and lots of ion tech, and you would need a fleet of pro-active ion-Equipped killers. After you were confident you'd quarantined the area, you could slowly move in with the ion fleets.

(in reply to Fideach)
Post #: 67
RE: Silvermist - 12/10/2011 7:49:45 AM   
Fideach

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gelatinous Cube

Question.. does a Gravity Well work on these punks? A potentially viable method for dealing with an overblown silvermist swarm might be starbases set bordering known trouble-areas, like a quarantine. They would have Gravity Wells and lots of ion tech, and you would need a fleet of pro-active ion-Equipped killers. After you were confident you'd quarantined the area, you could slowly move in with the ion fleets.

I'd just want a black hole gun to get rid of the whole troublesome sector!

But your idea with the gravity well might work.. question would be, could you be left alone long enough to build it and set up the trap in an area close enough to lure them. Assuming monsters hyper jump works under the same rules as the space ships.

Be worth trying at least. I'd do it, but I'm still rushing Ion weapons right now. Dunno if I'll survive to get that advance. I'm between an army of Silvermists, and multiple Empires that really don't like me.. all currently are at -200.

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 68
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Silvermist Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI