Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Invasion of Singapore

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Invasion of Singapore Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Invasion of Singapore - 12/2/2011 10:52:19 PM   
rwolan@sbcglobal.net

As the Japanese in early Jan 42, how do I advance into Singapore without all my units performing a shock attack?

I lost 20K troops just on the turn I move in.
Post #: 1
RE: Invasion of Singapore - 12/2/2011 11:06:40 PM   
witpqs

The body of water must be crossed, so a shock attack is inevitable. If you invade from the sea instead, you will face the coastal defense guns and get even worse. First, have all of your combat troops cross at the same time. Make sure they have good morale and low fatigue and disruption before you start them marching. Bomb the enemy troops from the air to reduce their effectiveness. On the turn your troops will be crossing, pull out all the stops with that bombing. Naval bombardment would be nice but those CD guns at Singapore will maul your ships, so better not to.

last, make sure you are bringing enough troops to the party.

(in reply to rwolan@sbcglobal.net)
Post #: 2
RE: Invasion of Singapore - 12/2/2011 11:10:14 PM   
spence

You can't avoid the shock attack. I'm never positive about how anything works in this game BUT you should now be able to reinforce your bridgehead without further shock attacks. You will need to keep your troops well supplied but once you've replenished you'll overwhelm the troops that the Allied Player starts with in Malaya.

As an Allied Player I'd counterattack immediately (a one turn window) if my opp lost 20k casualties in his initial attack. If it works the IJA will spend the next 6 months knocking on the doors of Singapore. If it doesn't the IJA will take the place after a few more turns.

Post #: 3
RE: Invasion of Singapore - 12/2/2011 11:30:13 PM   
rwolan@sbcglobal.net

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

As an Allied Player I'd counterattack immediately (a one turn window) if my opp lost 20k casualties in his initial attack. If it works the IJA will spend the next 6 months knocking on the doors of Singapore. If it doesn't the IJA will take the place after a few more turns.

Yes, PC opponent did exactly that. It looks like my troops will need major rest and refit before I can even think of attacking.

If I attack with a smaller section of my advancing force it looks like I run the risk of having them completely wiped out.

How do I know that I have bombed them enough to advance?

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 4
RE: Invasion of Singapore - 12/2/2011 11:37:38 PM   
witpqs

The only time when you have bombed them enough is when they are destroyed - all units wiped out! Bomb them constantly from an altitude safe from flak (watch your plane losses to feel this). Make sure you also hit the airbase (in addition to bombing the troops directly), because that can generate "supply hits" that destroy some of the bases supply stores. The defender will run out of supplies faster that way.

If you bomb them constantly, just attack when your troops are ready.

Post #: 5
RE: Invasion of Singapore - 12/2/2011 11:47:31 PM   
spence

I would not commit any significant further forces to the attack but with the forces in the immediate vicinity I'd bomb first: the industry/resources and then the airfields consistently. I'd keep some Netties handy with torpedoes (not attacking Singapore) to attack any attempt to get some supplies into Singapore. Assuming 3 divisions plus extra units I'd put the two most fit divisions and some engineers to work fortifying Johore Bahru so that any Allied attack will end in disaster and pull other troops back to somewhere safe to rest, train and receive replacements (make sure their objective is Singapore). Singapore can serve as a de facto POW camp (you can't build the Burma Railway anyways so what does it really matter).

Adjust your plan to account for the loss of the use of the 25th Army...that may mean to let some lesser importance objectives go for now. The Allied troops available elsewhere are of pretty poor quality but make sure that when you fight you have overwhelming superiority in the important places (If you get repulsed the quality of the Allied troops improves).

Post #: 6
RE: Invasion of Singapore - 12/2/2011 11:59:02 PM   
Erkki

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

I would not commit any significant further forces to the attack but with the forces in the immediate vicinity I'd bomb first: the industry/resources and then the airfields consistently. I'd keep some Netties handy with torpedoes (not attacking Singapore) to attack any attempt to get some supplies into Singapore. Assuming 3 divisions plus extra units I'd put the two most fit divisions and some engineers to work fortifying Johore Bahru so that any Allied attack will end in disaster and pull other troops back to somewhere safe to rest, train and receive replacements (make sure their objective is Singapore). Singapore can serve as a de facto POW camp (you can't build the Burma Railway anyways so what does it really matter).

Adjust your plan to account for the loss of the use of the 25th Army...that may mean to let some lesser importance objectives go for now. The Allied troops available elsewhere are of pretty poor quality but make sure that when you fight you have overwhelming superiority in the important places (If you get repulsed the quality of the Allied troops improves).

Industry stops working as soon as troops enter the hex so bombing it isnt necessary(plus you'll need to repair it if you destroy it). But keep the airfield suppressed and sink anything that tries to sail in or out... Preferably from mid-December 1941 onwards or earlier.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 7
RE: Invasion of Singapore - 12/3/2011 12:17:05 AM   
spence

I got the impression that the PC Allies counterattacked immediately and threw the Japanese entirely out of Singapore...thus I assume the industry would start back up and consequently produce some supply for the Allies. I suppose it kinda sucks to have to rebuild Singapore's industry but I'm sure it doesn't suck quite so bad as having Singapore hold out until 1945.

Post #: 8
RE: Invasion of Singapore - 12/3/2011 5:54:06 PM   
Sredni

Do you have to take singapore right away? I've always thought that if I were playing the japanese I'd simply rush the peninsula and stop at the base outside of singapore and move onto more important targets. Then maintain daily bombing of singapore's airfield and ground units to burn supply and to ensure forts arn't constructed and come back to take it after the southern resource area is secure and the troops inside have been out of supplies for months and are totally unfit for combat. Make sure to keep some lrcap over the base to stop the allies from airlifting all the troops out though.

I mean it'd be nice to have the port early on I guess, but it's hardly vital.

Post #: 9
RE: Invasion of Singapore - 12/13/2011 4:48:05 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erkki

Industry stops working as soon as troops enter the hex so bombing it isnt necessary(plus you'll need to repair it if you destroy it). But keep the airfield suppressed and sink anything that tries to sail in or out... Preferably from mid-December 1941 onwards or earlier.

This is not 100% accurate.

Raw material production ceases when enemy troops enter a base. Industry continues nonetheless for as long as either there are stockpiles of the feedstock, or the feedstock can be imported.

Alfred

(in reply to Erkki)
Post #: 10
RE: Invasion of Singapore - 12/13/2011 9:32:29 PM   
dr.hal

But your main bombardment target should be the airfield, keep it close to 100% out of commission. No new forts can be built until that field is fully operational, thus you chew up their supplies AND keep them from building a more intense fortress. As suggested above, the port should be closed but not due to damage, due to torpedo aircraft...

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 11
RE: Invasion of Singapore - 12/14/2011 1:44:26 AM   
JeffroK

How many sections destroyed, or were they mostly disrupted?

Try to catch and hurt the Allied LCU before you get to Singapore. Bomb them while they are moving.

Make sure your troops are as prepped as is possible for Singapore.

Bring along as many Combat engineers as you can, make sure your force is big enough.

I have had success with 2 Divs, plus 2-3 Tk Rgts and supporting troops, in on scenario (might night have been historical) I also had 3 rgts of combat engineers.

Rest up, then get all of your force onto the island in 1 turn.

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 12
RE: Invasion of Singapore - 12/14/2011 5:06:30 AM   
gradenko2k

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

But your main bombardment target should be the airfield, keep it close to 100% out of commission. No new forts can be built until that field is fully operational, thus you chew up their supplies AND keep them from building a more intense fortress. As suggested above, the port should be closed but not due to damage, due to torpedo aircraft...

I was of the impression that repairing facilities does not consume supplies, only expanding them does. You'd be right that bombing the airfield would consume supplies whenever you get an airbase-supply hit, but then wouldn't you also have to bomb the port anyway to get port-supply hits as well?

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 13
RE: Invasion of Singapore - 12/14/2011 10:14:27 AM   
undercovergeek

make sure you cross in combat mode too - not move mode - i find that marching to Sing leaves me at 44/45 distance remaining before i cross into the next hex - so on that turn or at least when youre a few miles short switch to combat mode otherwise youll get hammered crossing the river

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 14
RE: Invasion of Singapore - 12/14/2011 12:51:36 PM   
Itdepends

Shock attack across rivers at entrenched enemies hurts- this was unintentional by my opponent- he recon bombarded with troops that had moved in from another direction (not a river crossing) at the same time as other troops moved in via a river crossing- triggering a shock attack. Note even though the defenders are low on supply the high fort levels resulted in very few casualties on the Allied side. Ok it's not Singapore but I don't have an AAR and just had to share

Ground combat at Chungking (76,45)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 221890 troops, 2272 guns, 690 vehicles, Assault Value = 7383

Defending force 294147 troops, 1929 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 8885

Japanese adjusted assault: 0

Allied adjusted defense: 12213

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 99 (fort level 6)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), leaders(+), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
12273 casualties reported
Squads: 45 destroyed, 1426 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 197 disabled
Engineers: 5 destroyed, 201 disabled
Guns lost 192 (1 destroyed, 191 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
44 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

(in reply to undercovergeek)
Post #: 15
RE: Invasion of Singapore - 12/14/2011 1:45:14 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

I was of the impression that repairing facilities does not consume supplies, only expanding them does. You'd be right that bombing the airfield would consume supplies whenever you get an airbase-supply hit, but then wouldn't you also have to bomb the port anyway to get port-supply hits as well?

gradenko, you are mostly correct. Repair of facilities does not consume supplies, but it does take priority over expansion or, more importantly in a siege, building forts. Supply hits are another benefit to airfield or port bombing, and a good way to wear down the defender's ability to resist. There is no difference between an airfield supply hit and a port supply hit. They are all hits to the generic supply stockpile at the base.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Invasion of Singapore Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI