Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 12/7/2011 7:42:19 PM   
pvthudson01

No kidding enough with the DIVX already. You either know how to install it or you dont. Lets hear about the game

(in reply to duncan007)
Post #: 31
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 12/7/2011 8:28:47 PM   
Greyshaft

IMHO ...

1. The reskinnable map and counters are great. I've changed it to look like the old SPI War in Russia from (uh oh...) about thirty years ago and its bringing back great memories without worrying about the cat jumping on the maps.
2. I'm playing Barbarossa as the Russians and even though I sent every unit (apart from a half dozen 'volunteer' speed bumps in key locations) marching east as fast as they could the Germans are still kicking my butt and overrunning too many of my corps. There really is a feeling of death about my position but I'm playing on to see if lack of German supply and General Winter can save me.
3. The fonts and colors on the dialog boxes could be improved. Its hard for my old eyes to read some of the text.
4. Buy it!!!

/Greyshaft

(in reply to pvthudson01)
Post #: 32
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 12/7/2011 8:59:06 PM   
gwgardner

quote:

ORIGINAL: pvthudson01

No kidding enough with the DIVX already. You either know how to install it or you dont. Lets hear about the game

Finally.

(in reply to pvthudson01)
Post #: 33
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 12/7/2011 9:09:54 PM   
Greyshaft

My tactical air hit the Germans just outside Kiev. The Rumanian Air Force attempted (but failed) to intercept my Sturmoviks yet their fighters still took a loss. What happened?
Did their fighters have a landing accident?
Did their political masters shoot every tenth pilot "to encourage the others"?

I'm not saying this is a bug - maybe its WAD but its curious all the same.

Attachment (1)

/Greyshaft

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 34
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 12/7/2011 9:14:07 PM   
patchogue

I'm a bit miffed I didn't read the discount bit...although I did get Time of Wrath free for owning Road to Victory...

"It takes three years to build a ship, it takes three centuries to build a tradition"
Admiral Andrew Cunningham

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 35
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 12/7/2011 9:15:42 PM   
doomtrader

They were trying to intercept your planes and stop them from performing bombing mission

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 36
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 12/7/2011 9:23:24 PM   
Greyshaft

I know they were trying to intercept my bombers.

They failed to intercept so there was no air combat... so why did their fighters take a loss?

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

They were trying to intercept your planes and stop them from performing bombing mission

/Greyshaft

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 37
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 12/7/2011 9:23:58 PM   
gwgardner

The 'interception failed' means that the bombers got through to target. They however did engage the fighters. If interception succeeds, the bombers are turned back with no time over target.

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 12/7/2011 9:25:51 PM >

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 38
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 12/7/2011 9:29:22 PM   
Greyshaft

ah, I see ... thank you for the explanation

/Greyshaft

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 39
The first victory!!! - 12/7/2011 10:04:56 PM   
Greyshaft

After two months of having my butt kicked by the Axis I've finally struck back! A Rumanian armored division was scouting down towards the Crimea and we managed to cut him off and annihilate him. This will be front page news in Pravda and it also makes me feel a bit better - I lost Kiev this turn. The Germans just blew apart three INF corps and two ARM Divs sitting in fortifications even though I had local air superiority).

Attachment (1)

/Greyshaft

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 40
RE: The first victory!!! - 12/7/2011 10:39:16 PM   
doomtrader

Congrats!

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 41
RE: The first victory!!! - 12/7/2011 10:51:26 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

Just now getting a chance to sit down and play for a while. I'm excited.

I fully expect to find some things I don't like about it but that's with EVERY game I have ever owned. Also lets face it. How many games like this are released a year? Not enough I say. So I figure there is plenty of bang for the buck here and the game does look very nice. Besides, I can skip a typical crappy Hollywood movie and the snacks and for the same price have many hours learning a new system.

My advice would be to buy the game.

Edit; Grey, what program did you use to capture screenshots? Gimp 2.0 didn't work for me.

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 12/7/2011 10:54:47 PM >

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 42
RE: The first victory!!! - 12/8/2011 12:11:08 AM   
Titanwarrior89

What is the scale of each hex?  Equals how many miles? Also is there weather and supply effects?

< Message edited by Titanwarrior89 -- 12/8/2011 12:13:16 AM >

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 43
RE: The first victory!!! - 12/8/2011 12:44:22 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

What is the scale of each hex?  Equals how many miles? Also is there weather and supply effects?

About 30 miles per hex (roughly 45 kilometers). Yes and Yes.

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 12/8/2011 12:45:23 AM >

**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 44
RE: The first victory!!! - 12/8/2011 1:58:24 AM   
Greyshaft

Missouri_Rebel:
I just paused the timer then did a shift-printscreen and copied the results into MSPaint to trim the edges - save the file then upload to the Forum

Windows 7 64 bit

/Greyshaft

Post #: 45
RE: The first victory!!! - 12/8/2011 2:03:06 AM   
Greyshaft

TOF devs... its a pain in the butt when I'm trying to deploy units to have to scroll down past dozens of "Available in n turns" units to reach the "Unit Available list". Is there a way to permanently pin the immediately deployable units to the top of the list? I've tried sorting them but every turn the list returns to the original inconvenient sort order.

Cancel that problem... now the list is staying sorted between turns. Not sure what happened there.

< Message edited by Greyshaft -- 12/8/2011 2:24:51 AM >

/Greyshaft

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 46
RE: The first victory!!! - 12/8/2011 2:10:49 AM   
Magpius

Worth every penny.
Wastelands do support their games and respond quickly when issues are raised.

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 47
RE: The first victory!!! - 12/8/2011 2:44:21 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Thanks
quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

About 30 miles per hex (roughly 45 kilometers). Yes and Yes.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

Post #: 48
RE: The first victory!!! - 12/8/2011 2:46:42 AM   
gwgardner

I use irfanview for screen captures with this game.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 49
RE: The first victory!!! - 12/8/2011 3:44:21 AM   
macroeconomics

Quickly: I like the game. It's like an unpolished gem.

In more detail, it goes something like this:

UI: I give it a B+. Overall framework with control icons on the top and right side of the screen work well. So do the pop up mini-boxes on the left side of the screen. UI however doesn't take advantage of Crtl + mouse key combinations and thus sometimes winds up requiring more mouse clicks to accomplish a task than is necessary. Screen scrolling sometimes gets bugged. I am not referring here to the screen rolling to the right when you move your mouse to the right side screen icons. I am referring to the screen sometimes refusing to scroll down at all when you are in windowed mode. Other times in windowed mode, the screen will lock into a scroll right mode, requiring a game shut down. Why play in windowed mode? Because the the game can take awhile to process the AI's moves, and the game does behave well in multi-tasking mode with other apps.

Physical attractiveness: I give it a B+. Good variety of map icon skins and unit skins. You won't mistake this game for Battlefield 3's graphics, but for a hex based wargame, it's good and it's functional. In particular, map distortion in the northern climes is held in check for the most part.

AI: From what I've seen so far, I have to give a split grade. AI for the Allies is pretty good, A-. AI for the Germans is not so good, C. I think this is a function of attacking (hard for the AI) and defending (easier for the AI). But there is also another effect in play here. The AI has a hard time thinking about stacking (there is no stacking in the game) and the bottlenecks it causes. In one game I played as the Slovaks (I do this so I can observe the AI more easily). The Germans broke through the French lines just south of Luxembourg in the winter of '39. They blew a two hex gap in the French lines and about six panzer units roared through. For the next two months (8 turns) the Allies chased those six units around and around to a depth of about 6-10 hexes behind the Allied front lines, slowly grinding them down to dust. The two hex gap in the Allied lines remained in place the entire time. But no additional German forces came through. Instead the two German units on each side of the gap didn't move, thereby trapping 40+ German  divisional equivalents on their side of the lines. AI needs to be able to think properly about unit congestion (it does better on the attack in Poland and Russia than in high density areas like France). Eventually I manually switched to playing the Germans for one turn and moved the blocking units forward. The game then proceeded more normally until....

About Feb 1940, the Germans attack the Low Countries. Swarms of infantry divisions advanced towards the Belgian/Dutch lines. And were promptly mowed down. I saw at least 30 German divisions wiped out. Not defeated, not retreated, but eliminated. By the Belgians, Dutch and some expeditionary force French/British. The Allies were all in corps formation and when the German divisions moved up, they were attacked by two or three adjacent Allied corps and destroyed. Not until several turns later when all the German divisions were wiped out could the stronger German infantry corps behind them move up and conquer the Netherlands and Belgium. Stacking. Congestion. AI needs to be able to think about it better. A short term solution might be to have the German build only corps, not divisions from 9/39 to 6/41.

But as bad as the example sounds, on the plus side, I was impressed by the counterattacking/defensive strategy used by the AI for the Allies.

Production: A. Maybe an A+. Easily the strongest part of the game. You get the flexibility of picking what to build without the nonsense exploits that riddle some other WW2 big strategy titles. I'm looking at you, HoI. A very clean, easy to use design that works and still forces the player to think about what units he needs in the future.

R&D, Diplomacy: Eh, this isn't a game that focuses on those areas. Yes, it touches upon them, but basically this game is attempting to give you a computerized version of the biggest board wargames of the past, i.e. Europa, War in the East. So not a lot here, but also by corollary, no exploits here as occurs in some other games.

Learning curve/Tutorials: B-. Easy game to learn, but the tutorials could use an additional module on how to move ships. The existing tutorial module on naval units just shows how to fight with them. It took me quite a long time to realize that bodies of water are divided into zones, despite there being a hex overlay on them, and that ships need to be targeted onto a specific "hot" hex in each sea zone.

Compute speed/resource demands: This is not a resource hog app. Easy to run the game with other apps and switch between them if ToF is in windowed mode (scrolling problems noted above excepted). No problems with mouse responsiveness. No crashes to desktop. No hanging. Despite that, this is however still a long game to play. Weekly turns for WW2. LOL. I will make one comment here however about AI/human control selection that relates to compute/game speed. Because you can select human/AI control for each and every country, you can actually do some interesting things. If you are real time constrained, find the prospect of completing multiple Grand Campaign games daunting, and yet want to try out multiple countries, this game allows you to do that. Play as Italy AND the USSR for example in the same game and experience both countries in one sitting! Talk about real time hours saved! This is a brilliant facet of ToF that you don't see in other WW2 grand strat games.

Overall as I said before, I like the game. It has flaws. But the scope of the game is massive. It matches the biggest board wargames ever conceived and makes them playable. In an enjoyable fashion. And unlike other massive WW2 computer wargames, it doesn't get bogged down with tons of rules that the AI doesn't understand and that humans exploit. This is an enjoyable game right now at version 1.00. If the dev makes certain improvements, it will get better with age.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 50
RE: The first victory!!! - 12/8/2011 4:15:25 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

What a first post.And a member since 2004?

quote:

ORIGINAL: macroeconomics
It matches the biggest board wargames ever conceived and makes them playable. In an enjoyable fashion. And unlike other massive WW2 computer wargames, it doesn't get bogged down with tons of rules that the AI doesn't understand and that humans exploit.

Brilliant

(in reply to macroeconomics)
Post #: 51
RE: The first victory!!! - 12/8/2011 5:20:44 AM   
macroeconomics

Some other stuff I've noticed....

I think Hungary's production is bugged. Despite having as many/more PPs in its cities as Bulgaria, it receives PP's at a rate less than half the rate Bulgaria does. This is with both countries at 10% War Economy.

There needs to be better controls for handling what message boxes pop up during the AI's turn. In the Preferences/Gamplay options panel there is a check box labeled "Allies Movement". Unchecking that doesn't take away your being able to see your allies move - instead it stops dialog boxes from popping up when your allies get attacked - but only the land attacks. You still get pop ups for naval attacks and air attacks vs. your allies. This makes walking away from your computer during the lengthy AI turns untenable. The dev should look at HoI for a good example of how to offer options to the user on how to control pop ups. You can hate on HoI for some things, but not the pop up controls!

It'd be nice for there to be an indicator if your country has finished units waiting to be deployed. Perhaps changing the color of the Units Management icon. When you are managing a lot of small countries, it is tedious to check that manually every turn.

Post #: 52
RE: The first victory!!! - 12/8/2011 6:41:06 AM   
Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: macroeconomics
It'd be nice for there to be an indicator if your country has finished units waiting to be deployed. Perhaps changing the color of the Units Management icon. When you are managing a lot of small countries, it is tedious to check that manually every turn.

I agree with this one. I forgot to deploy my production on one turn (10 * level 2 INF Corps) and when your playing USSR in 1941 that's not a clever thing to do :(

/Greyshaft

(in reply to macroeconomics)
Post #: 53
RE: The first victory!!! - 12/8/2011 9:52:16 AM   
doomtrader

@macroeconomics, indeed an impressive post and I feel really honored that you have decided to write for a first time after 7 years of benign registered to comment Time of Fury.
This means a lot.

Note taken about the indicator that will inform about "units to deploy"

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 54
RE: The first victory!!! - 12/8/2011 10:23:49 AM   
Greyshaft

I'm not complaining here ... more like sighing with relief.
Late October 1941 playing as the USSR. Leningrad is holding well and we've cut off two Finnish XX and destroyed them - I did load the Leningrad Front heavily in my favor so I expected to win there. The Axis has lunged for Moscow (which is well defended) with three Armor units - a Corp and two Divisions. As you can see from the screen capture their move had little chance of success. It does raise a question about the quality of AI planning. For the sake of game balance I hope their move is part of a larger plan that I cannot yet see. I will tell you what happens.

Attachment (1)

/Greyshaft

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 55
RE: The first victory!!! - 12/8/2011 10:35:26 AM   
doomtrader

Can I see the larger scope?

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 56
The Big Picture - 12/8/2011 10:56:40 AM   
Greyshaft

Another turn has passed.
The German 47th Corp is now cut off - you can see it at the very top of the map. Another (unsupported) Panzer Corp is racing to its rescue from the west.
Leningrad is secure.
I hold the Crimea with a strong garrison (3 INF Corps)at the bottleneck.
I am falling back in the south to make a stand at Rostov.
The weak point is Voronezh but I plan to divert my reinforcements (6 * Level 2 INF Corps) there plus the newly arrived Siberians

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Greyshaft -- 12/8/2011 10:57:56 AM >

/Greyshaft

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 57
RE: The Big Picture - 12/8/2011 11:01:49 AM   
doomtrader

Which campaign is that?

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 58
RE: The Big Picture - 12/8/2011 11:15:43 AM   
Greyshaft

standard Barbarossa - I didn't pick the North or South campaigns.

/Greyshaft

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 59
RE: The Big Picture - 12/8/2011 11:26:21 AM   
Greyshaft

Another Finnish Corp bites the dust and there is yet another one cut off and starving to death on the steps of Murmansk. South of Leningrad is a German PanzerArmee plus three PanzerCorps facing my twelve level 2 INF Corps (plus what you see on the map). Most of my airpower is at Leningrad so this looks like a tough battle for both sides.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Greyshaft -- 12/8/2011 11:27:03 AM >

/Greyshaft

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI