Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 12/12/2011 11:14:10 AM   
demyansk

I was wondering with all the user made maps on Norm Koger's Art of war how is this game compared to TOAW3?  I ams till getting through panzer Corps and rarely play War in the East so I am waiting on this one until it gets a little more polished.

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 91
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 12/12/2011 7:07:29 PM   
macroeconomics

I never played TOAW3, but I played TOAW and TOAW2 extensively. Unit detail is not as high in ToF as it is in TOAW, as individual weapon systems are not modeled. I think supply is handled better in ToF, although with TOAW being an operational game is naturally not as big of a focus area for that title.

The biggest difference I felt between ToF and TOAW1/2 is the AI (other than the obvious strategic vs. tactical/operational focus). In TOAW1/2 the AI is scripted at the unit level. It made the AI extremely vulnerable to broad pincer movements as the AI's units continued advancing along their individual paths despite the player developing a deep penetration strategic threat. The AI is ToF is surprisingly robust when playing one of the defensive countries (UK, France, USSR in first half of the war). Even the the naval AI for Great Britain avoids the typical pitfalls we've all seen in other big WW2 games. It concentrates when you concentrate your fleet. It doesn't allow you to relentlessly pick off single ship fleets. It knows how to raid your convoy lines.

ToF is not fully polished. But in single player mode, the AI is such a big leap over other WW2 titles of this scale that it almost makes you forget that you aren't playing a human. It's that good. Right now. In version 1.00.

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 92
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 12/18/2011 6:19:21 PM   
sabre1

So, should I "wait" for that obligatory first patch? So many games and so little time.

I'm already comitted to a game with that suspicious looking dwarf Martok.

This game is on my to buy list, but just curious when that first patch is coming.

(in reply to macroeconomics)
Post #: 93
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 12/21/2011 7:38:12 AM   
Numdydar

Mid Jan is what is expected for the first patch.

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 94
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 12/21/2011 5:04:33 PM   
freeboy

agreed with macro, seriously good ai... not human good but good..
and my first foray into server games.. they do make it easier.. suprise to me

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 95
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 12/30/2011 10:58:04 PM   
RandomAttack

Had the game a few days now, have played most of the campaigns through at least several turns, and have been avidly following comments on the forum. Also a ToW owner. There already are a multitude of fixes identified for the first patch and the devs have been great about answering questions. All my own editorial opinion of course!

Bottom Line: Currently a GOOD game, with the potential to be a GREAT game.

The Good:
- Love the graphics & maps (lots of options!)
- The scale is just right IMO.
- Lots of gameplay mechanics/criteria are easily moddable.
- While no one is EVER happy with an AI, I think it's adequate.

The Not-So-Good:
- As in ToW, the devs seem to delight in lots of hidden mechanics, "surprise" events, etc. I personally find this cutesy and distracting, and it results in my questioning virtually EVERYTHING that happens... Why can't my massive fleet "detect" and "engage" an enemy fleet in a sea zone the size of a bathtub?? Why is my TacAir taking big losses when hitting "0.6" strength infantry unit (no, it wasn't intercepted)?? Stuff like this drives me a little nuts and ruins the immersion.
- For many events it really isn't clear what the impact of your choices are. I would like to see this totally transparent. If violating "treaty X" has a 50% chance of causing war with "country Y", TELL me that so I can make an informed decision. As it is, you are too often left with no idea at all what the chances are (and I shouldn't have to go pour over the event files to try and figure it out).
- While there is a LOT of data available in various report screens, I find it hard to glean the nuggets of info that are truly relevant. Ultimately, I want to push counters-- not sort through tons of data and try and discern why this or that did or did not happen as expected. That's what my Staff is for! The data IS there-- whether you can transform it into "information" and draw the proper conclusions is another matter.

Many "bugs" have already been identified and will be fixed soon, and many of the "features" that I personally dislike appear easily moddable. But I think I will wait until after the first patch before I try modding anything. I don't regret buying ToF, and count my time playing it as well spent getting comfortable with the basic system "pre-patch".

And as "Peggy" says in that credit card commercial, looking at the blinking telephone lights: "So prettty..."

< Message edited by RandomAttack -- 12/31/2011 1:54:52 AM >

(in reply to Zovs)
Post #: 96
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 12/30/2011 11:32:21 PM   
Razz1

Events do tell what happens. Hover your mouse over the option.
They are based upon historical turning points that happened in WW2.
If you know history there are no surprises like Aliens from outer space.

(in reply to RandomAttack)
Post #: 97
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 12/31/2011 1:37:22 AM   
RandomAttack

My space alien comment was in the OTHER thread.

I'm quite aware of the history, but that doesn't mean I know which "version" is modeled here-- especially when we're talking hypotheticals. Take the Ribbentrop-Molotov pact when Germany conquers Poland. If I choose "Abrogate" it merely says "USSR may declare War". But what are the chances?? 1%? 50%? 99%? I could make a very good argument that the chances were no better than 25%, while others could equally insist it was a virtual certainty. But what did the DEVELOPERS decide it was, for THIS game? And why is it not just stated so I don't have to guess what THEY were thinking? As it stands, I have absolutely NOTHING to go on to indicate the level of risk. I really don't care to argue about WHAT they picked as a probablility-- I just want to know up front what it was so I can make an informed decision.

(in reply to Razz1)
Post #: 98
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 12/31/2011 2:30:57 AM   
Razz1

Umm.. maybe they want us to guess.

Let's see if your request can be made.

There is a good debate as to why they don't want players to know.

I believe the MR pact tells you what will happen if you hover the mouse over it.

(in reply to RandomAttack)
Post #: 99
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 1/3/2012 8:58:00 PM   
colberki

I was very upset after buying Time of Wrath - I found it quite a useless game but I just bought Time of Fury at full price as I cant find the original email with my key. I hope I wont regret it. Reviews of the game are rather mixed - let's see if the next few patches address all issues and improvements needed.

The ability to re-skin to old SPI looks persuaded me to take a chance!

(in reply to Razz1)
Post #: 100
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 1/3/2012 10:14:54 PM   
doomtrader

Hi colberki, you might take a look at 1.01 patch WIP thread to see are we trying to improve the game correctly. Also you might post your wishes in the Great Wish thread to propose changes you would like to see. (It's not like we are going to put everything you guys are writing there, but it's very helpful to know your needs and expectations).

(in reply to colberki)
Post #: 101
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 1/4/2012 1:06:12 AM   
sabre1

Awww Man, I want it ALL.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 102
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 1/10/2012 8:54:24 PM   
cpdeyoung

I have spent the last couple of months caught up in Armada 2526, a serious addiction, think 14 hours a day.

However I am delighted to see the progress that ToF has made, and the newly vibrant community.

Congrats to all the development staff!

Chuck

(in reply to sabre1)
Post #: 103
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 1/10/2012 9:07:26 PM   
doomtrader

Hi Chuck, nice to see you here.
Hope that Time of Fury will cure you from your addiction.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 104
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 1/19/2012 1:12:28 PM   
freeboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

You can try to run the videos directly from the game folder. They are located in /data/ subfolder.
You are not missing anything from the gameplay experience. Maybe some mood.

I looked for vids in the data subfolder? are they still included? All I found was the intro vids.. I would love some vids for mood!
thanks

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 105
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 2/24/2012 5:12:00 PM   
Rasputitsa

More like Second Impressions :

I have had a chance to play the game for a while now, it's the same scenario I started way back, after some smaller trial runs, but with travelling just don't get the time.

It's now Christmas 1940, game time, in Fall Gelb Axis v AI. France defeated, Vichy government in place, Soviet attack in turn 4 (I hope we don't lose that possibility entirely - I think it should always be a risk) means that this is no standard Barbarossa, do the Lvov opening, AGN does this, AGC does that, you know what happens next. The Baltic states are still neutral, neither the Soviets, nor Axis, have attacked them, but they sit like a huge open flank, only I haven't got the spare troops to take them on. Finns are quiet and I can't quite take Narvik, the British have landed reinforcements, which bombardment from the sea, air attack and land forces haven't dealt with.

Never had time to deal with Yugoslavia, or Greece, as whilst I was engaged in France the Soviets launched a major attack into Romania. I came close to victory in France just in time to send units East, just as the Romanians began to collapse after a valiant AI controlled struggle and the Soviets were heading for Ploesti and Bucherest. Again, just in time Hungary joined the Axis, delayed because I had earlier tried to hurry them up with a coup attempt which failed, but I got the use of their railway to save the oil wells.

That meant that I had first to hold back the Soviet attack into Poland and the Soviet AI made some armoured penetrations, which I was able to cut off. I used the limited mobile forces available to exploit gaps, which worked at first, but slowly the AI began to close in and crush any exposed units, I felt that the line would give way, but was able to move forces just in time to reverse the situation. Was able to win the Frontier battles with large encirclements, as more forces became available to move into the East. Next move had to be to launch a Southerly attack into the Ukraine to Odessa to cut off the Soviet units in Romania, battles there are just coming to a close.

Objective was to move forward to the fortifications of the Stalin line and consolidate there for the winter and launch a major attack in early 1941, again nothing like the usual Barbarossa. The capture of Minsk left a huge hole which the Soviets did not, or could not fill, additionally there was nothing much to stop me taking Gomel, but a big fight in the South on the approaches to Kiev. However, I have captured almost all of the Stalin Line.

OK so the AI may not be very bright, but neither were the Allies at the beginning of the war, so it feels realistic.

I was beginning to think that the game was broken, as there was little Soviet reaction in the North and Centre, it was wide open, but the infantry could only crawl forward at 1 hex a week in the snow, armoured units pressing forward found little and almost reached Veluki Leki, which was empty, but couldn't reach it in time. It's well into the winter now and I cannot exploit the gap.

Now as we settle down for the 1940 Christmas feast, the game's not broken, long range recon shows large Soviet forces gathering on all fronts and I am building Infantry Korps as fast as I can, it's now me who has to fill the gaps.

Meanwhile in the Med an attack on Malta failed, whilst the Italians did well in NA, cutting off and destroying the initial British attack, with the help of shore bombardment from the Fleet.

The Italians have just captured Sidi Baranni and all looked good, until recon again showed major British forces gathering beyond Alexandria. When the option came up earlier, offering the DAK armoured unit, I decided to keep it for Russia and not have it arrive in NA, that might have been a mistake. At least, if the British are reinforcing NA, they shouldn't turn up elsewhere, or will they.

Using Agent S maps and Nato icons, GWGardner transparent and reduced size combat and info boxes and BCGames intro screens (sorry Doom, better than stock items), the game looks really good, although I know that's a matter of taste.

I have had issues with the game supply system, but that seems better with 1.01B, although the winter has arrived and I am not sure what is having most effect. I have made comment in several threads about rail damage in Russia, I think all rail in Russia should be damaged as control changes, to represent the different rail gauges used by the Soviets and the Germans. I have a self imposed rule to restrict the use of Strategic Movement along lines that have only recently been captured, otherwise you can rail into the depths of Russia, in the winter snow, without much penalty. I haven't seen Doomtrader comment on this issue yet.

The various info boxes work very well, you can quickly check the status of all your various types of units, Land - Air - Naval, you can scan supply levels for all units at a glance, to spot problems. This is very useful for the Italians, who have to run convoys to Sardinia, Albania, Tripoli and Tobruk, monitoring the low supply levels in the unit list warns you which convoys should move to the top of the convoy list. I use the the unit renaming feature to add detail and reminders, e.g. adding 'in dock' to the fleet names for damaged ships, as a prompt to repair when PPs allow when I scan down the Naval Unit list. Very flexible and user friendly information displays (but lots of mouse clicks), once you have worked them out. I know it is not perfect, but when you take into account that you are controlling Technical Development, Political actions, Production - unit building, etc. and monitoring all your units health, which is possible quickly at a glance, must be good. I am also using the unit renaming feature to introduce some Armee and Luftflotte organisation, so that there is some more realistic deployment control.

The move into 1.01B has improved the game, supply and reinforcement are more realistic, but I have needed house rules to moderate the game. ToF has been called a fun game, but it can be much more than that, whilst still being very enjoyable.

Overall the game has felt right, individual events sometimes are odd, but the wide scope of the game gives you the feeling of the extent of a world war. This has been one of the best gaming experiences that I have ever had, thanks to everyone involved.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 2/25/2012 9:02:21 AM >

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 106
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 4/20/2012 10:39:35 PM   
welk

Definitively the game of my wargamer life, for modding and for playing : I stopped to play/to mod with Commander Europe at war. CEAW was a very very good game and I had never deception with, but Time of Fury is something different, more better, and the AI very surprising = excellent opponent. In addition, ToF is not only one game, but different games in one : all may be made to build little operationnel level scenarios. The game a PC wargamer must have.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 107
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 6/30/2012 1:25:52 PM   
gravyface_

Thank you for sharing your opinions, Rasputitsa.

For large scale/strategic games, my experiences include Commander Europe at War and Strategic Command 2, both fun games, but found them to be lacking in AI/depth. I don't have time to play with other human opponents, so when I have a chunk of free time, I look forward to a decent AI opponent.

So here we are, end of June, and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger: everyone still happy?

(in reply to welk)
Post #: 108
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 6/30/2012 2:41:16 PM   
TR

I wish they would spruce up the graphics map art in this game. The way it is now it is so - Blah! IMHO They need to crisp up the land/sea boundaries, for one, similar to Guns of August 1914-1918.

(in reply to gravyface_)
Post #: 109
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 7/1/2012 6:47:57 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: gravyface
So here we are, end of June, and I'm thinking of pulling the trigger: everyone still happy?

Waiting for some problems in the recently issued 1.02 Beta update to be ironed out. The update has some useful features, but players' testing has found items that need attention.

Is the game perfect ? No, depending on what you are looking for, there may be things you may not be happy with, but on balance it's the best game I have had for some time. That's obviously a personal opinion, it just fits in with what I am looking for, your needs may be different.

So, I am still happy and expect to get happier.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 7/1/2012 6:49:16 PM >

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

(in reply to gravyface_)
Post #: 110
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 7/4/2012 12:38:19 AM   
gravyface_

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: gravyface

Waiting for some problems in the recently issued 1.02 Beta update to be ironed out. The update has some useful features, but players' testing has found items that need attention.

Is the game perfect ? No, depending on what you are looking for, there may be things you may not be happy with, but on balance it's the best game I have had for some time. That's obviously a personal opinion, it just fits in with what I am looking for, your needs may be different.

So, I am still happy and expect to get happier.

Pulled the trigger, haven't installed/played it yet though. Going to take a stab tonight. Still finding the AI a challenge?

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 111
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 7/4/2012 12:48:40 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: gravyface_
Pulled the trigger, haven't installed/played it yet though. Going to take a stab tonight. Still finding the AI a challenge?

Look at the AAR section on the top of the forum, see how games are going, there is a thread on poor AI performance.

Link to AI discussion http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3075278

In reality the Allies DOW Germany in 1939, then do almost nothing strategically until May 1940, they only reacted when Germany invaded Norway and then attacked in the West. What would the Allies have done if Germany hadn't struck first.

Hitler committed some of his best mobile units into vicious street fighting in Stalingrad, then left the flanks in open country (best for mobile units) to be defended by Axis Allied units, with poor mobility and little anti-tank protection. When 6th Armee was surrounded, refused to allow it to break out, all of which makes the AI look like Einstein.

However, there are also pages and pages on forums complaining that human PBEM players don't play historically, with just as many pages saying pointing out that human players would be stupid to follow historical mistakes. So the AI may be able to give you a game that feels more historical, even if it doesn't follow historical events

Next thing is, that if the game is too rigidly historical, then everyone knows what's going to happen next. The historical commanders did not have the advantage of hindsight, so to retain that historical feel of uncertainty, it's nice not to know what the AI might do next, even if it is something crazy.

My first game as Axis against the Allied AI, attacking France in 1940, approaching Paris, when the Soviets DOW and invade Western Poland and Romania. There will be pages of discussion on how this could never have happened, Stalin would never have done that, but now you're in a two front war and Soviets tanks are heading for your only oil wells at Ploesti. Historical, or not, it makes for a great game.

So is the AI a challenge will depend on what you are looking for in the game, but there are always settings to select at 'hard' and the F12 key to adjust PP levels in game.

Don't be put off if you find things you don't like, there are settings and preferences for most things and mods to provide a different look, or performance.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 7/4/2012 12:50:23 PM >

(in reply to gravyface_)
Post #: 112
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 7/4/2012 1:39:02 PM   
doomtrader

quote:

they only reacted when Germany invaded Norway and then attacked in the West. What would the Allies have done if Germany hadn't struck first.

This only happens because they have been preparing to send troops to Finland to fight the Soviets.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 113
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 7/5/2012 9:41:15 AM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

quote:

they only reacted when Germany invaded Norway and then attacked in the West. What would the Allies have done if Germany hadn't struck first.

This only happens because they have been preparing to send troops to Finland to fight the Soviets.

Or more probably to secure the iron ore mines in Sweden, it's debatable how many Allied troops would have got all the way through to the Winter War front and what would have happened if they had.

But the point is the same, some historical decisions were stranger than some of the seemingly odd behaviour coming from the AI.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 114
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 7/5/2012 12:01:36 PM   
doomtrader

quote:

Or more probably to secure the iron ore mines in Sweden,

This was the task when the Germans actually started the invasion. Did you realized how fast those troops were delivered into Norway since the German invasion begun?

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 115
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 7/5/2012 2:14:15 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

quote:

Or more probably to secure the iron ore mines in Sweden,

This was the task when the Germans actually started the invasion. Did you realized how fast those troops were delivered into Norway since the German invasion begun?

Yes they were delivered fast, but the ships had been loaded for an un-opposed mission through Norway, into Sweden, and then to open a supply line to Finland, with the permission of the Norwegian and Swedish Governments. When these permissions were not given, delaying the plan, and when the Germans invaded, the Allied operation became an opposed assault against a hostile enemy, for which they were neither organised, nor prepared.

Had things happen as planned, the Allies may have been at war with Germany and the Soviet Union in 1940, how's that for a 'what-if'. By 1943/45 the course of the war was set and little could have happened to change it, but in those early years, different decisions, by the any of the leaders, may have completely changed the course of history. Which is why I like ToF so much, because these things are possible.

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 116
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 7/9/2012 7:06:27 AM   
David Clark

Just bought the game last week, and I'm loving it so far. I have a strategy question, and a couple of wishlist-type suggestions.

How are people managing their Research? How many times are you buying research for a core unit type in a given year? I want to save my points over several turns to try to get better units, but I don't want to cripple my ability to build my army - how are you finding a balance?

Suggestion: I'd love to see the radii of fighter coverage indicated on the map somehow - by shading, or with a little icon in the corner of each hex covered by friendly air.

Suggestion: I'd really appreciate being able to see which sea zones I have convoys scheduled to use during the upcoming turn. The only way I know which sea zones to cover seems to be to check last turn's convoy report and write down the zone names, which is annoying. Perhaps a little cargo-ship symbol beside the name of any zone that's being used this turn for friendly convoys?

Thanks for reading - I'm sure I'll have more to say once I get further into the game.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 117
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 7/9/2012 8:37:45 AM   
doomtrader

quote:

Suggestion: I'd love to see the radii of fighter coverage indicated on the map somehow - by shading, or with a little icon in the corner of each hex covered by friendly air.

This is currently Work in Progress

quote:

Suggestion: I'd really appreciate being able to see which sea zones I have convoys scheduled to use during the upcoming turn. The only way I know which sea zones to cover seems to be to check last turn's convoy report and write down the zone names, which is annoying. Perhaps a little cargo-ship symbol beside the name of any zone that's being used this turn for friendly convoys?

This is a dynamic process, so we are not able to predict where each convoy will follow next turn (due to many reasons, one for example is that you might not have enough ships to send all the convoys), but this rule regards all sides.

(in reply to David Clark)
Post #: 118
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 7/26/2012 6:04:22 PM   
AH4Ever

So far... I LIKE IT! Vast improvement over ToW and I was able buy for half-off.

JJMC

The next best thing to being clever is being able to quote someone who is.

You weren't there Thursday... You MISSED it!

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 119
RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread - 8/26/2012 7:47:22 PM   
Tomokatu

OK, I'm still familiarising myself with the game. I have WWII:RtV, WWII:ToW but skipped WWII:SoP so there were a only few new mechanisms to learn. The game is (basically) what I want as far as mechanics and AI go (so far).

I've installed certain mods I want, still have to implement some of the transparency and font colour choices.
One thing that still mystifies me (well, actually two!)
First, I havent found an explanation of THIS icon (See attachment) It must be important, or it wouldn't be there, right? What does it mean?

Secondly, since "British Colonies" have no PPs, how is everybody using them?

Oh yes, about font colour choices. Does the 0,0,0 RGB format accept the whole range of 0-255 in each element that's normally used when defining colours or am I restricted to "web-safe" options? I have a reasonably competent graphics card. Since confirmed

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Tomokatu -- 8/27/2012 2:04:58 AM >

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

(in reply to AH4Ever)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Time of Fury >> RE: The Obligatory First Impressions Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI