Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/9/2011 7:19:20 AM   
Neotheone

ok 2nd crash in one play period and this time a total crash saying "Distant Worlds has Stopped Working" and the usual blah blah afterwards of Explorer will attempt to find out why and never does. Never had an issue with the previous betas .4 or .5 so something is definitely wrong with .6
Post #: 1
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/9/2011 8:17:56 AM   
HectorOfTroy

I haven't read anyone else complaining about 1706 crashing yet. I haven't played it yet but I played all other versions of beta patches with no crashes.

Hence, if no one else is complaining about crashes it could be your system and set up that is causing the crashes.

Instead of being melodramatic ;), how about posting your full system specs, versions of your drivers for your bios, video card and see if Elliot, Eric or one of us can help you.

P.s. Two crashes in hours and hours of gameplay are not such a big deal. Also you mentioned having aot of other programs and explored pages open when playing, maybe you should close them and also play with zone video settings within the game.

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 2
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/9/2011 9:11:19 AM   
MartialDoctor

Didn't you already make a posting about this?  And, as this is a technical issue, you should post it in the tech help along with the specs of your system to help the guys figure out what's causing the crash.

On another note, have you updated your drivers?  That can help with crashes at times... especially video drivers.

(in reply to HectorOfTroy)
Post #: 3
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/9/2011 10:54:11 AM   
Gelatinous Cube

I haven't had stability problems since 1704 or 1703.. and i've been playing for hours and hours today with nary an issue.

(in reply to MartialDoctor)
Post #: 4
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/9/2011 11:23:51 AM   
Neotheone

Went back to 1.07.5 and no crashes or issues. It's definitely something with 1.07.6 regardless of what you wannabe techs think.

(in reply to Gelatinous Cube)
Post #: 5
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/9/2011 11:31:26 AM   
Gelatinous Cube

Maybe if you were more willing to consider our advice, and approach it in a way that was not completely rude, you wouldn't feel the need to have such a bad attitude in your posts? This forum is generally a pretty mature place. Don't buck that trend.

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 6
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/9/2011 12:31:21 PM   
solops

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neotheone

ok 2nd crash in one play period and this time a total crash saying "Distant Worlds has Stopped Working" and the usual blah blah afterwards of Explorer will attempt to find out why and never does. Never had an issue with the previous betas .4 or .5 so something is definitely wrong with .6

I had a lot of problems with this in 1704 but none in 1705 and, so far, none in 1706.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 7
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/9/2011 12:31:25 PM   
Cauldyth

You should also put this in the Tech Support forum, not here.

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 8
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/9/2011 1:18:48 PM   
Ares106

quote:

Yeah its very unstable.... as soon as I installed the patch my keyboard spontaneously caught on fire.

I think Im going to start 3 different threads on general forums about this issue.

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 9
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/9/2011 2:39:00 PM   
Webbco

quote:

It's definitely something with 1.07.6 regardless of what you wannabe techs think.

Choose your words more wisely otherwise no one will want to help you, Neotheone.

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 10
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/9/2011 2:57:19 PM   
Erik Rutins

Please upload a save file for us and post the error message or crash dump file from your crash. That's the only way we will be able to figure out what's going on.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 11
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/9/2011 3:57:09 PM   
solops

OK, just got my first Distant Worlds has Stopped Working crash in 1706. In 1704 what I usually did was to save often and just reload the save when the game crashed. Usually I got to play on for a long time before it crashed again sometimes 3 or 4 hours, sometime 10 minutes. It never crashed twice in the same place or gave any information about the crash, just the useless: "Distant Worlds has Stopped Working" message. There was no other information about the crash in the message, just that one line and the fact that Windows, Bill Gates and the whole Microsoft team were trying to find out why. Bah! Occasionally the game would run for a while and actually allow me to save a game before it shut down completely. These saved games were not reloadable and gave the error message "not a valid Distant Worlds save game file" when I tried to reload them. I don't know what good a saved game will do with it acting like this.

< Message edited by solops -- 12/9/2011 4:06:12 PM >

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 12
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/9/2011 4:11:41 PM   
Erik Rutins

If you look in the folder just "up" from your saved games folder, do you see a crash dump file there? If so, please post the contents here.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 13
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/9/2011 5:24:51 PM   
solops

Distant Worlds - Crash Dump - 1.7.0.6
7:45:52 AM Friday, December 09, 2011

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
  at DistantWorlds.Types.Galaxy.AssignPirateShipMissions(Empire pirateEmpire)
  at DistantWorlds.Types.Galaxy.AssignPirateShipMissions()
  at DistantWorlds.Types.Galaxy.DoTasks(Boolean gameFinished, Empire playerEmpire, VictoryConditions globalVictoryConditions, EmpireVictoryConditions playerConditionsToAchieve, EmpireVictoryConditions playerConditionsToPrevent)
  at DistantWorlds.Main.0B7XyPQY775OKQ4c7rf(Object , Boolean , Object , Object , Object , Object )
  at DistantWorlds.Main.icFxyECTqa(Object )

--- COMPLETE ---

This help?

Post #: 14
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/9/2011 5:28:23 PM   
Gandalf

I've not had a stability issue with any of the beta updates. My standard procedure with beta patches is to completely uninstall the game, reinstall the game from the original setup files, and then patch directly to the newest beta patch. I NEVER patch over previous beta patches regardless of whether it is stated as being safe or not. Doesn't take that long to perform the above procedure and it gives a "cleaner" installation to report issues from.

< Message edited by Gandalf -- 12/9/2011 5:29:00 PM >

Post #: 15
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/10/2011 5:05:12 PM   
triryche420

I too have had issues with the latest patch causing instability. So far its seemingly fine w/o Shakturi events turned on. Just randomly CTD's with it turned on once they made their appearance in the galaxy. Will get back with more specifics later.

Edit: Pretty sure during this crash I had just defeated the Shakturi. I've reloaded saves and was able to continue playing after defeating them and still eventually crashed again. Also worth noting that after defeating them all their colonies population besides their homeworld were changed to human(my main race). I noticed because after defeating them they are always high on my other races list and this time were one of the lowest.

5:20:22 PM Friday, December 09, 2011

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at DistantWorlds.Types.Galaxy.FindNearestBuiltObjectInIndex(Int32 x, Int32 y, GalaxyIndex index, Double& distance, BuiltObjectSubRole subRole, Boolean includeSecondaryEmpires)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Galaxy.FindNearestBuiltObject(Int32 x, Int32 y, BuiltObjectSubRole subRole, Boolean includeSecondaryEmpires)
at DistantWorlds.Types.Galaxy.DoTasks(Boolean gameFinished, Empire playerEmpire, VictoryConditions globalVictoryConditions, EmpireVictoryConditions playerConditionsToAchieve, EmpireVictoryConditions playerConditionsToPrevent)
at DistantWorlds.Main.0B7XyPQY775OKQ4c7rf(Object , Boolean , Object , Object , Object , Object )

--- COMPLETE ---

< Message edited by triryche420 -- 12/10/2011 8:15:54 PM >

(in reply to Gandalf)
Post #: 16
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/10/2011 5:41:21 PM   
Neotheone

quote:

ORIGINAL: triryche420

I too have had issues with the latest patch causing instability. So far its seemingly fine w/o Shakturi events turned on. Just randomly CTD's with it turned on once they made their appearance in the galaxy. Will get back with more specifics later.

Yeah that's actually when I started to have my troubles too triyche. Just shortly after the Shakturi revealed themselves the Distant Worlds has stopped working and the other error messages started. So, must be something to do with the incorporation of the Shakturi and Legends that is causing it. I too turned off the Shakturi this game I'm playing now and so far nothing, no problems, no crashes or hiccups. So it's definitely something in the programing of Legends.

(in reply to triryche420)
Post #: 17
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/10/2011 6:58:34 PM   
Data

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gandalf

I've not had a stability issue with any of the beta updates. My standard procedure with beta patches is to completely uninstall the game, reinstall the game from the original setup files, and then patch directly to the newest beta patch. I NEVER patch over previous beta patches regardless of whether it is stated as being safe or not. Doesn't take that long to perform the above procedure and it gives a "cleaner" installation to report issues from.

You are truly a mage of great wisdom, I may just follow your procedure also....not that I had any problems with the game so far but I like it and it never hurts to do things properly; better safe than sorry.

...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....

(in reply to Gandalf)
Post #: 18
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/10/2011 8:44:16 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

A properly written install package should not require those steps. If you have to go and completely remove all traces of a previous installation, before applying a patch - then it is a badly written installer.

(in reply to Gandalf)
Post #: 19
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/10/2011 10:42:27 PM   
Neotheone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

quote:

A properly written install package should not require those steps. If you have to go and completely remove all traces of a previous installation, before applying a patch - then it is a badly written installer.

I concur but we must remember these are indie developers and thus they don't have the motivation or most likely time like the big boys do. This game reminds me of an old RPG game that had bugs and flaws and ctds out the yingyang "Daggerfall" but dedicated gamers played the life out of it because it was so good in "concept". 150,000 square miles of adventure and no other RPG has come close since. Even its own series The Elder Scrolls Morrowind and Oblivion and recently Skyrim cannot come close to bringing to the gamer what Daggerfall did and still does if you can get it to run. So, while I'll still complain here I'm not saying this game sucks it just needs a LOT more work on fixing the issues at hand instead of making expansion after expansion.

I myself to attempt to get the game to run properly after so many crashes and exception errors cleaned out my registry and reinstall everything in order and must say so far so good with 1.07.06 patch. Been about 8 hours now and no Distant Worlds has stopped working popup...YET!

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 20
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/10/2011 11:22:01 PM   
Kayoz

quote:

I concur but we must remember these are indie developers and thus they don't have the motivation or most likely time like the big boys do.

I used to use Wise, but meh, Installshield is still Orca based.

It doesn't take a lot of time or effort to put together a basic msi install. It's shockingly easy - one of the things M$ got seriously right... even more so if you remember the old installation nightmares of Win3.1 and Win95.

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 21
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/10/2011 11:50:47 PM   
Erik Rutins

Guys, there's nothing wrong with the installer and no need to to a complete clean reinstall with every update.

Neo, I think it's worth reminding you that you were by choice playing with beta updates and continuing saved games across multiple beta updates. While we try to make sure that will cause no problems, there are no guarantees. If starting a new game resolved the crash issues, then it was almost certainly an issue introduced in one of the beta updates.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 12/10/2011 11:52:01 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 22
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/11/2011 12:42:13 AM   
Neotheone

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Guys, there's nothing wrong with the installer and no need to to a complete clean reinstall with every update.

Neo, I think it's worth reminding you that you were by choice playing with beta updates and continuing saved games across multiple beta updates. While we try to make sure that will cause no problems, there are no guarantees. If starting a new game resolved the crash issues, then it was almost certainly an issue introduced in one of the beta updates.

Regards,

- Erik

But isn't beta 1.07.06 still the Official Patch you just released? I mean how much did you change in a day? Plus I haven't gotten to the point of that old saved game where the game started crashing so hold your horses on the crash issues are "resolved". When I get to the Shakturi revealing themselves and declaring war and 62 colonies and thousands of ships and it works flawlessly then you can pat yourself on the back of resolvement. Until then it's still hit and miss on this issue.

Post #: 23
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/11/2011 1:45:47 AM   
McKinstry

I'm having problems with the game freezing and locking up, in particular when I simply try and zoom out or in using the mouse wheel.

The problems are significant enough to render it simply not enjoyable to play (and for a what is was worth, .04 ran flawlessly for me).

Is there a way to uninstall the .06 update and return to the .04 without uninstalling all three games?

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 24
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/11/2011 2:29:53 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

But isn't beta 1.07.06 still the Official Patch you just released? I mean how much did you change in a day? Plus I haven't gotten to the point of that old saved game where the game started crashing so hold your horses on the crash issues are "resolved". When I get to the Shakturi revealing themselves and declaring war and 62 colonies and thousands of ships and it works flawlessly then you can pat yourself on the back of resolvement. Until then it's still hit and miss on this issue.

I think you're missing my point. Let me just say there is no back-patting here.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Neotheone)
Post #: 25
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/11/2011 2:31:23 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hi McKinstry,

quote:

ORIGINAL: McKinstry
I'm having problems with the game freezing and locking up, in particular when I simply try and zoom out or in using the mouse wheel.

The problems are significant enough to render it simply not enjoyable to play (and for a what is was worth, .04 ran flawlessly for me).

Is there a way to uninstall the .06 update and return to the .04 without uninstalling all three games?

Can you give us more information on these issues? Is this with an old save file or a new game? Are you seeing any error messages? Is this simply very slow performance or does the game completely lock up for you?

Does this happen in all games, even if you start a new one?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to McKinstry)
Post #: 26
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/11/2011 5:17:34 AM   
McKinstry

New games only (I didn't try a loaded save). Runs very slow, great difficulty/delays in partucular when zooming and after a bit it stops and I get the IE message that it has stopped working, checking the problem etc.

Post #: 27
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/11/2011 3:58:55 PM   
McKinstry

I went and ahead and did a full uninstall/reinstall and it seems OK.

(in reply to McKinstry)
Post #: 28
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/12/2011 5:13:00 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: solops
7:45:52 AM Friday, December 09, 2011

--- COMPLETE ---

This help?

Thanks for this report. Fixed in the next update

(in reply to solops)
Post #: 29
RE: 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! - 12/12/2011 5:19:47 AM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: McKinstry
New games only (I didn't try a loaded save). Runs very slow, great difficulty/delays in partucular when zooming and after a bit it stops and I get the IE message that it has stopped working, checking the problem etc.

Good to see you have things working ok now, but remember you can always post the contents of the following crash file to help with diagnosing a crash:

C:\Users\[YOURUSERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Code Force Limited\Distant Worlds\1.7.0.6\DW_CrashDump.txt

Thanks
Elliot

(in reply to McKinstry)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> 1.07.6 beta is unofficially officially UNSTABLE! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI