Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

to oil or not to oil . . .

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> to oil or not to oil . . . Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
to oil or not to oil . . . - 12/18/2011 8:15:33 PM   
Knyvet

. . . that is the question.

As Jap I captured major oil centers almost 100% in working order (except Miri).

That also means, however, both the oil and refinery centers are in working order. As a result, I do not produce extra oil - 95%+ of the oil gets converted into fuel. A lot of fuel.

So, the question for fellow IJ production fan boyz, is the oil so important in the long run to HI production that I should shut off the refinerys and ship oil to home or should I just ship the fuel back and no oil?

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: to oil or not to oil . . . - 12/18/2011 8:26:20 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

If you break even then just ship the fuel.

(in reply to Knyvet)
Post #: 2
RE: to oil or not to oil . . . - 12/18/2011 8:48:04 PM   
darbycmcd

It is never better to ship oil than fuel. The only only thing that oil can do for you is to get converted into fuel, and that is at less than 100% efficiency. so skip the middle step and ship the fuel. only in the case that there is no more fuel to ship should you ship oil.

(in reply to Knyvet)
Post #: 3
RE: to oil or not to oil . . . - 12/19/2011 8:29:32 AM   
henhute6

I have put 12 knot tankers to carry oil because they are easier targets to submarine. Doesn't burn like a torch when hit.

(in reply to darbycmcd)
Post #: 4
RE: to oil or not to oil . . . - 12/19/2011 11:27:55 AM   
Mike Solli

Oil converts to fuel which is absolutely necessary for the Japanese economy as well as the fleet. I refine as much oil in the SRA as I can. The only place I don't refine oil to fuel is in Burma. That is because when the AI moves fuel, you lose a percentage. That is not the case with oil. Why lose more than you need to lose? Either way, most of it needs to go to Japan.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to henhute6)
Post #: 5
RE: to oil or not to oil . . . - 12/20/2011 2:59:33 AM   
bigred

+1
quote:

ORIGINAL: darbymcd

It is never better to ship oil than fuel. The only only thing that oil can do for you is to get converted into fuel, and that is at less than 100% efficiency. so skip the middle step and ship the fuel. only in the case that there is no more fuel to ship should you ship oil.

(in reply to darbycmcd)
Post #: 6
RE: to oil or not to oil . . . - 12/21/2011 5:05:33 PM   
dr.hal

I thought Oil was need to run HI, as I ran out in a city and the HI stopped cold. Once I got more oil to the place (and that place shall remain nameless) up and running it was like nothing happened!

(in reply to bigred)
Post #: 7
RE: to oil or not to oil . . . - 12/21/2011 5:43:13 PM   
nashvillen

The path is 20 Oil into a refinery out comes 2 supply and 18 fuel, the 18 fuel goes into 9 Heavy Industry (along with 180 resources)and out comes 18 supply and 18 HI points.

Also, I ship Oil when I have no Fuel left to ship from a port. I also ship Oil/Fuel in the same convoy to fill it out when my Fuel stockpile is gone and it will be several days before more gets there and there is another tanker convoy waiting.

< Message edited by nashvillen -- 12/21/2011 5:46:04 PM >

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 8
RE: to oil or not to oil . . . - 12/21/2011 7:30:43 PM   
Chickenboy

Ship 'em both. Don't get hung up in the 90% / 100% argument. Both are vital in quantity for your war effort. Your goal as IJ should be to suck nearly all oil AND fuel from the DEI and send it home for processing.

(in reply to nashvillen)
Post #: 9
RE: to oil or not to oil . . . - 12/21/2011 8:43:25 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Ship 'em both. Don't get hung up in the 90% / 100% argument. Both are vital in quantity for your war effort. Your goal as IJ should be to suck nearly all oil AND fuel from the DEI and send it home for processing.

+1

Pax

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 10
RE: to oil or not to oil . . . - 12/21/2011 9:34:38 PM   
crsutton

Ok, AFB question. What are the ramification for Japan once that DEI oil is cut off? Say mid 1944... Can she still fight for long by cutting some corners?

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 11
RE: to oil or not to oil . . . - 12/21/2011 9:40:07 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Ok, AFB question. What are the ramification for Japan once that DEI oil is cut off? Say mid 1944... Can she still fight for long by cutting some corners?

My 'quicky' answer is that it depends on the amount banked back in the HI. Is *all* DEI oil / fuel cut off or just one or two ports? Just oil? Just fuel? In my game, I figure I have a roughly 6 month supply at current rates of consumption. Beyond that, I would have to cut quite a few corners to keep going. Others mileage may vary.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 12
RE: to oil or not to oil . . . - 12/21/2011 10:10:34 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

My 'quicky' answer is that it depends on the amount banked back in the HI. Is *all* DEI oil / fuel cut off or just one or two ports? Just oil? Just fuel? In my game, I figure I have a roughly 6 month supply at current rates of consumption. Beyond that, I would have to cut quite a few corners to keep going. Others mileage may vary.

In addition to oil/fuel, it depends upon "banked" HI ... someone like MikeS (or anyone who has graduated from his 'school') would have +++3M HI banked by mid 44, and then have MP, VEH, and ARM banked as well. Stop NSY/MSY, pull pilots into groups, start agressive kami attacks ... easily could go 2 more years .... once you lose the DEI, you aren't expanding any more so a lot of your economy can go to the boards. Your biggest expense then is a/c.

I only 'plan' to have DEI under my control for 20 months. Any time after that is bonus time ... sure I generally see 6 months of bonus, but by planning conservatively I have really good stocks in place ....

Pax

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 13
RE: to oil or not to oil . . . - 12/21/2011 10:46:38 PM   
SqzMyLemon

I ship whatever is available. Some TF's are fuel only, some oil only and some are a combination. I'm of the thought that I need both, so I don't let the argument of shipping oil as inefficient bother me either. Also, as far as I know oil doesn't spoil, so that might offset the 90/100% argument.

Luck is the residue of design - John Milton

Don't mistake lack of talent for genius - Peter Steele (Type O Negative)

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 14
RE: to oil or not to oil . . . - 12/22/2011 2:54:33 AM   
Mike Solli

quote:

I absolutely agree. You're going to need every point of each you have. And that still won't be enough.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> to oil or not to oil . . . Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI