Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Hudson Mk.IIIA

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Hudson Mk.IIIA Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Hudson Mk.IIIA - 12/26/2011 12:49:52 AM   
VonFrag

Is the search radar the Hudson Mk.IIIA carries better used in naval search, ASW or night bombing? I have looked on the web and cant find any info that the IIIA even carried radar, much less what it was actually used for.

Thanks,

VonFrag
Post #: 1
RE: Hudson Mk.IIIA - 12/26/2011 6:04:06 PM   
VonFrag

92 views and not one reply. So either I have stumped you or it was a very stupid question...........

Then let me ask this...........does the radar make a difference in the game at all?

VonFrag

(in reply to VonFrag)
Post #: 2
RE: Hudson Mk.IIIA - 12/26/2011 6:07:57 PM   
GreyJoy

AFAIK radar makes a lot of difference in naval search and in ASW role.... don't think it gives any bonus in night mission, a part from the night fighter radar which gives a CAP bonus...

I use the hudsons only for ASW and naval search...but mainly for ASW....when concentrated in small arcs the can do wonders against enemy subs...both at day and at night....

(in reply to VonFrag)
Post #: 3
RE: Hudson Mk.IIIA - 12/26/2011 8:16:33 PM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: VonFrag

92 views and not one reply. So either I have stumped you or it was a very stupid question...........

Then let me ask this...........does the radar make a difference in the game at all?

VonFrag

Well at least your recognised it was a very stupid question.

You obviously already know that radar is of assistance for the three types of missions you nominated. As to whether one particular mission is more important than the others, that really depends on what you think is important and what the current situation is. All these are factors for which you provided no data to allow a meaningful reply to be provided.

Yes, radar does make a difference in the game. It helps in spotting ships/submarines. It is now more important than before for night operations, affecting both bombers and CAP - see changes #492-494 of the official public beta change log.

Alfred

(in reply to VonFrag)
Post #: 4
RE: Hudson Mk.IIIA - 12/27/2011 4:53:13 PM   
VonFrag

Thank you Grey and Alfred for the replies.

Now as to context, I am running the latest beta patch. It is mid Jan 42 and I have two groups of IIIA's training up in Aden. When Singapore falls and the assault on Rangoon begins will these assets best be used in naval search or ASW? Also since they are radar equiped, what altitude are they best suited? I have my nav search squadrons set to 6000 ft since this seemed to work well for me in Uncommon Valor, and my ASW assets set to 2000 ft.

VonFrag

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 5
RE: Hudson Mk.IIIA - 12/28/2011 9:38:34 PM   
Alfred

You will not get unanimity on what constitutes the best altitude for naval search or ASW. If you are comfortable with the settings you already use, then continue to do so.

Again the question is somewhat pointless. You already have the two groups in training so you have already made up your mind as to how these planes are going to be used. You cannot train the pilots in both naval search skill and ASW skill simultaneously. Choose one skill set as your primary skill set and deploy the Hudson IIIA accordingly. If you decide to use the Hudsons on naval search you will have to assign other plane types to ASW for you need to have both areas covered.

If you have the pilots on "General Training" that is a most inefficient schooling method. There are several threads which discuss pilot training.

Alfred

(in reply to VonFrag)
Post #: 6
RE: Hudson Mk.IIIA - 12/29/2011 9:11:21 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

quote:

You cannot train the pilots in both naval search skill and ASW skill simultaneously

Actually you can if they are on map and not in Aden. Set them to Nav search 30% then set them also to ASW 30% as well. with say 20% training and 20% rest ..

They will train in Nav search , but also get exp and training in both nav search and ASW from on map missions. If your going to use these groups later on the exp is really important too. this is the best way i know to multi train and gain exp. It is slow but good once trained to 60% initially.

Obviously change the %'s depending on your needs.

Hope this helps a bit.

Radar equipped ansons, I have found great at ASW when in the hands of good pilots. experience and skills are essential , radar just helps a good pilot find a target.

< Message edited by Rob Brennan UK -- 12/29/2011 9:13:11 PM >

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 7
RE: Hudson Mk.IIIA - 12/29/2011 9:24:26 PM   
Alfred

That actually isn't multi skill training.

What you are technically seeing is a unit undertaking two missions simultaneously and as a result of undertaking the two missions, skills are improved. Setting a percentage to "train" is making those pilots fly "ghost missions".

You can see a similar outcome with units on "naval attack" as their primary mission with a different secondary mission and no one set to train. After flying a combat mission sometimes some pilots see increases in their naval attack ratings and other pilots see increases in the area relevant to the secondary mission.

The only true and pure "training" is conducted when you select "training" as the mission (and assign a percentage of pilots). Then you will never see (or at least I have never seen it) two different skill sets being improved simultaneously.

Alfred

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 8
RE: Hudson Mk.IIIA - 12/31/2011 6:24:49 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

That actually isn't multi skill training.

What you are technically seeing is a unit undertaking two missions simultaneously and as a result of undertaking the two missions, skills are improved. Setting a percentage to "train" is making those pilots fly "ghost missions".

You can see a similar outcome with units on "naval attack" as their primary mission with a different secondary mission and no one set to train. After flying a combat mission sometimes some pilots see increases in their naval attack ratings and other pilots see increases in the area relevant to the secondary mission.

The only true and pure "training" is conducted when you select "training" as the mission (and assign a percentage of pilots). Then you will never see (or at least I have never seen it) two different skill sets being improved simultaneously.

Alfred

True , its not 'training' both . but is the only way I know of to simulate multi training. I'll happily learn of any other methods anyone's cooked up

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 9
RE: Hudson Mk.IIIA - 1/2/2012 9:21:40 PM   
dr.hal

One great assist the radar adds is finding surface targets at night and then assisting other assets in attacking (or more rightly finding first) those targets. Night fighting is very tricky and hard to get results from...so the more you stack the dice in your favor, the more likely you will have some form of success. Hal

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Hudson Mk.IIIA Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI