Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Your Thoughts On The AI

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Your Thoughts On The AI Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Your Thoughts On The AI - 1/2/2012 4:16:42 PM   
Gefreiter Wardstein

I've just finished a 41-45 campaign against the German AI using standard settings. Either I'm a very good player or the AI is not so good because:

The only encirclement the AI achieved was the initial June 41 one, just west of Minsk
The initial 41 advance did not reach Kiev
Rumania surrendered in May 42
Finland surrendered June 42
Smolensk recaptured in July 42
Hungary surrendered in Oct 43
Berlin captured & German surrender in March 44

Does the AI perform significantly better if the difficulty is increased? Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Post #: 1
RE: Your Thoughts On The AI - 1/2/2012 4:31:42 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

AI needs the 10% boost... so try playing against AI where AI is set to 110%!

BTW, there is nice AAR by Larry in AAR section where he plays against AI at 110% (and before that against AI at 100%)...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Gefreiter Wardstein)
Post #: 2
RE: Your Thoughts On The AI - 1/2/2012 5:57:14 PM   
Peltonx

The Russian AI is very good, probably the best I have ever played agianst.

I hate to say it but its better then 2/3 of the players.

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 3
RE: Your Thoughts On The AI - 1/2/2012 6:43:24 PM   
Fänrik Stål

I think the problem is not so much the AI as the game mechanics that allows the Soviet player to play very ahistorically. The AI understands how to form pockets, IF it is allowed to break through your lines. But with a 'carpet' or 'checkerboard' defense, which game-wise is the sound thing to do, there is not much chance of that. A human player with some skill will come out of Barbarossa with significantly more troops than historical against the AI. This will in turn break the Germans sooner than IRL.

The AI in this game is by far the best I've seen in any game of this type. It's certainly not perfect, but I'm deeply impressed. And I've played computer war games since I got my first PC back in -93.

Increase the AI settings. It probably won't defeat you, but it will be considerably more of a challenge.

"Släpp ingen djävul över bron!"

(in reply to Gefreiter Wardstein)
Post #: 4
RE: Your Thoughts On The AI - 1/2/2012 10:42:32 PM   
Mentor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pelton

The Russian AI is very good, probably the best I have ever played agianst.

I hate to say it but its better then 2/3 of the players.

(in reply to Peltonx)
Post #: 5
RE: Your Thoughts On The AI - 1/3/2012 3:39:29 AM   
Wild

As an German player playing against the Russian Ai, i have to say it is one of the best Ai for wargames i have ever played.
I haven't played for awhile but i imagine it only got better. I can't comment on the German Ai as i have never player against it.

(in reply to Mentor)
Post #: 6
RE: Your Thoughts On The AI - 1/3/2012 7:50:03 AM   
larryfulkerson

I did an AAR about playing against the German AI and I thought that the "normal" setting was a lot too tame a game.......so next I continued the AAR with the setting of "110%" and it was a much different game.  I think I got my money's worth and then some.   It felt a lot like playing Pelton again. 

(in reply to Wild)
Post #: 7
RE: Your Thoughts On The AI - 1/3/2012 4:21:34 PM   
sajer

Well, I am the Germans and the AI is set on 100%. I have full FOg OF WAR setup. The game is now in August 1944.

The Russians have lost over 14,000,000 men. 265,000 Arty and 65,000 tanks.

I still have control of Leningrad, Smolensk, Kharkov, Bryansk, Stalino, Rostov, Baku and all the oil fields - Maikop etc...

I have launched successfull Panzer encirclements in the area west of Kharkov every summer and dometimes in Winter. It always ends up with a destruction of large amounts of Divisions and Corps. My best was 46 Div/Corps destroyed in the Summer of '43.

I always precede my Panzer attacks with a fient somewhere else - mostly in the area of Stalingrad where he rails in troops from other areas. Then the next turn I attack.

Right now I am attacking with 4 Panzer Corps (including 2 SS Panzer Corps) - 5 Infantry Corps with aim at encircling Moscow. I have my best commanders with the Panzer Corps.

Elswhere on the front I have made it into a WW1 style. With fortifications along big rivers and plenty of reserve panzer brigades (breakdowns of some Panzer divisions.)

In other words, I am kicking but - Hitler is still at the Wof's Lair and Stalin is deciding if he will evacuate Moscow.

My victory point total is at 240 - I am sure the Moscow capture will put me over the top.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 8
RE: Your Thoughts On The AI - 1/3/2012 4:56:05 PM   
Kronolog

Playing vs. the soviet AI at challenging, the only gripe I have with it is that it seems unwilling to attack (though why this is I don't know). I could frequently hold my line with single regiments in lvl. 2-3 forts, and the AI would sit opposite me with it's rifle corps without moving a muscle. Other than that, it's actually pretty good. 

(in reply to sajer)
Post #: 9
RE: Your Thoughts On The AI - 1/5/2012 4:10:08 AM   
Straticus

I just finished playing against the Russian AI in the 41-45 Campaign with Normal difficulty settings. I achieved a Decisive Axis victory on 7/1/43. I captured Leningrad in 41. Moscow, Rostov and then Stalingrad in 42. I didn't find the AI particularly challenging. I was surprised how meek it was during the 41 Winter but that could have been to the massive encirclements that I conducted earlier in 41. I actually hunkered down that first winter expecting the worst, but the great winter counterattacks never came.

The Soviet AI liked to concentrate between Moscow and Leningrad and somewhat near Stalingrad, but there were too many holes elsewhere. That was the key. Breakthrough where he was weakest and just roll up the line. I used all 4 Panzer Armies working together for exploitation. The infantry armies to hold the line, initiate a breakthrough and hold the breakthrough corridors. Surrounded Soviet units did try to form moving pockets but it was a weak effort. The Axis allies came in handy for security and holding the southern part of the line between Stalingrad and Rostov, which the Soviet AI pratically abandoned during the Winter of 42, all of which made extending into the Trans-Caucasus region a cakewalk for the axis allies (in cooperation with 2 of the Panzer armies). All in all, the enormous Soviet losses finally took their toll as they couldn't defend everywhere, all the time.

I noticed if I did a breakthrough and deep exploitation across a key river line or to a key city objective, the Soviet AI was more likely to fall back to a new line. When Leningrad fell in 41, the AI just hunkered down in the marshlands and forests to the east. There were random counterattacks but nothing that came off as a major counter-offensive. When Moscow fell on early 42, the AI didn't seem to want it back. When Rostov and Stalingrad were overrun in late 42, there was no real effort to reclaim them. The AI may have been substantially weakened by those early losses in 41, but in general it seemed to lack the ability to form and execute a cohesive counterattack along any portion of the line.

(in reply to Kronolog)
Post #: 10
RE: Your Thoughts On The AI - 1/5/2012 4:55:41 AM   
Texasgrunt

Similar, but as Russian in Grand Campaign (normal) I took Berlin by August 1942. Yes. Of course I started with 1.03*version and then upgraded to 1.04 after blizzard. That was on Normal. Forts killed Axis in 1941, never got within 50 miles of Kiev, barely got to Pskov. Axis never took Smolensk, barely got there. I held Odessa and Bug line.

Rumanians surrendered in early 43 after my 3 armies amph invasion from Sevastopol blindsided them in Oct-Nov 1941.

Yers, the forts were too strong in early versions.

Just finished Road to Leningrad in latest version as Sov, on HARD and still achieved Major victory vs AI.

As Axis the AI is too lenient about leaving holes in line so Sov can displace his HQ units.

Destroy the enemy's army, then you can do what you will with his land, cattle and women.

(in reply to Straticus)
Post #: 11
RE: Your Thoughts On The AI - 1/5/2012 4:59:28 AM   
juret

try play soviet at hard. soviet 80% and germany 120. i cryed by turn 16. sick challange :)

(in reply to Straticus)
Post #: 12
RE: Your Thoughts On The AI - 1/5/2012 8:46:19 AM   
Gefreiter Wardstein

Many thanks for your feedback guys.

(in reply to juret)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Your Thoughts On The AI Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI