Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Better Graphics

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> RE: Better Graphics Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Better Graphics - 4/24/2012 4:50:29 PM   
JMass

A big improvement could be to add the support for png files to have smaller files with alpha level (so nicer shadows, effects etc.).

"Klotzen, nicht Kleckern!"Generaloberst Heinz Wilhelm Guderian

My boardgames collection: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/JMass?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 61
RE: Better Graphics - 4/24/2012 6:02:59 PM   
digiartst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

Thank you for chiming in, Digiartist! Your efforts are truly appreciated!

Many of the new units have been created pixel by pixel without the use of GHQ models by Warhorse and myself. Very time consuming but rewarding at the same time!

In addition to new graphics by Warhorse and I, Warhorse has been working on the camo versions for the the Modern Wars: Volume I. They are looking excellent!

Hope you're well
Jason Petho

I would prefere to make vehicles, infantry is a pain because I like to build the model up in poser, they would look great but I do this whole graphic thing for a living plus have 6 kids, lots of homework etc. but if you do not have any type of deadlines I would love to jump in on a part time basis and build stuff. I prefere to not do the pixel by pixel approch and try to throw a model together then take 6 different angle pictures, for terrain I would probably use z-brush or mudbox to mak a detailed tile then paint it out.

I would love to know the new graphics you guys put into this game, I did not know new stuff was going into this game.

I love this game and have found no other that gives the feel of this game, yes the pathing still has problems but I just click on hex at a time if I really need the pathing to be perfect. I prefer to play German because the AI tactics are the mob tactics the Russians used. AI is so tricky to program right the orbital AI approach another game company uses seems to work the best. but it is in a smaller scale and I really like this scale.
What I would love to see in the game is the fuel trucks, the kitchen, the infantry support trucks all the logistics that the infantry had to protect, they have to just function like trucks but the VP points would be huge.
Just so when you fielded a brigade, regiment or division you had all the stuff all the logistics units they had. I know this is supposed to be represented by the HQ units but come on seeing the kitchen or the bakery unit out there just makes it more of what you had to worry about. Makes you put in more security units to keep those rogue scout cars from shooting up your rear units.

Like I said need some help send me a vehicle you want build and a source for the line drawings like TS did for me and I can build something up for you from time to time.

Jager56

Post #: 62
RE: Better Graphics - 4/24/2012 6:54:50 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: digiartst
I would prefere to make vehicles, infantry is a pain because I like to build the model up in poser, they would look great but I do this whole graphic thing for a living plus have 6 kids, lots of homework etc. but if you do not have any type of deadlines I would love to jump in on a part time basis and build stuff. I prefere to not do the pixel by pixel approch and try to throw a model together then take 6 different angle pictures, for terrain I would probably use z-brush or mudbox to mak a detailed tile then paint it out.

I would love to know the new graphics you guys put into this game, I did not know new stuff was going into this game.

If you have a copy of the game, the matrix version, there is a Unit Viewer that you can use to browse through all the graphics. You might be pleasantly surprised with all the new additions.

quote:

I love this game and have found no other that gives the feel of this game, yes the pathing still has problems but I just click on hex at a time if I really need the pathing to be perfect. I prefer to play German because the AI tactics are the mob tactics the Russians used. AI is so tricky to program right the orbital AI approach another game company uses seems to work the best. but it is in a smaller scale and I really like this scale.
What I would love to see in the game is the fuel trucks, the kitchen, the infantry support trucks all the logistics that the infantry had to protect, they have to just function like trucks but the VP points would be huge.

If you are interested in trying the game H2H, there is a very active community over at The Blitz ( http://www.theblitz.org ). While the AI is fun to play, playing against a human takes things to a whole new level. Especially if you try the new Extreme Assault rules (Yes, Mr. RR, I know it isn't for everyone.. ).

quote:

Just so when you fielded a brigade, regiment or division you had all the stuff all the logistics units they had. I know this is supposed to be represented by the HQ units but come on seeing the kitchen or the bakery unit out there just makes it more of what you had to worry about. Makes you put in more security units to keep those rogue scout cars from shooting up your rear units.

You'll find more units to play with in the Matrix version. Supply depots and trains, to highlight a couple. No bakery yet, but I'm sure they will be added in a future UPDATE.

quote:

Like I said need some help send me a vehicle you want build and a source for the line drawings like TS did for me and I can build something up for you from time to time.

You can reach me at jasonpetho (at) hotmail (dot) com. I appreciate the offer!!

Thank you and good to hear from you!

Jason Petho

< Message edited by Jason Petho -- 4/24/2012 6:55:25 PM >

(in reply to digiartst)
Post #: 63
RE: Better Graphics - 4/24/2012 7:09:29 PM   
digiartst

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrRoadrunner

Cool mike!
Once again, kudos from me!
You guys really know how to go to the next level to improve the game.
I wish I had the ability and/or the talent!

I guess only infantry would benefit? Though, tanks can be hull down?
I wonder how long it would take to dig in?

Thanks!
RR

It would take a full day for a 5 man crew with two shovels to dig a tank in to hull down(depending on Terrain, conditions,etc), I could see this in a design your own sceanrio(defensive) but to be able to dig a tank in , during game time would be hard to believe. Now the American units had dozer tanks that could dig far fater but they are not represented in the game and were rare being only in construction units. As to the slit trenches there was a debate at TS, wether to make the improved posistions bold or obscure. "Bold" won so that is why they are so pronounced in their construction. since there was no plan to make infantry jump into the trenches (just heads popping up), the slit trench idea was dropped and the IP sandbag approach was used. I don't know if the progam is capable of haveing a jump in or entering approach, I guees if the slit trench used the same logic as boarding a truck you could of course you cannot shoot out of a truck. I am not a programmer so I do not know.

Jager56

(in reply to MrRoadrunner)
Post #: 64
RE: Better Graphics - 4/24/2012 7:14:36 PM   
digiartst

quote:

If you have a copy of the game, the matrix version, there is a Unit Viewer that you can use to browse through all the graphics. You might be pleasantly surprised with all the new additions.

Yes I have just gotten the Matrix version.

I saw the train, and the depots. I have just gotten back into this game and was pleased to see it was still supported.

Some real opponants would truely be nice I will check out the site.

Thanks

Jager56

Post #: 65
RE: Better Graphics - 4/24/2012 7:26:53 PM   
Warhorse

Hey Jager,

Gotta tell ya, your work inspired me to do modding all those long years ago when I started this series!! I've since done the Axis and Allied Bulgarians, Spanish Blue Division, revamped Hungary, made a bunch of vehicles for mostly Axis minors, and Germany, and recently did a whole Korean War Mod, which is a self-contained game, based on the RS engine. You can get that here-https://rapidshare.com/files/478861229/Korean_WarRS.zip Thank you very much, you helped create a monster!!

Mike

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to digiartst)
Post #: 66
RE: Better Graphics - 4/24/2012 7:29:20 PM   
digiartst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

Hey Jager,

Gotta tell ya, your work inspired me to do modding all those long years ago when I started this series!! I've since done the Axis and Allied Bulgarians, Spanish Blue Division, revamped Hungary, made a bunch of vehicles for mostly Axis minors, and Germany, and recently did a whole Korean War Mod, which is a self-contained game, based on the RS engine. You can get that here-https://rapidshare.com/files/478861229/Korean_WarRS.zip Thank you very much, you helped create a monster!!

Mike

Lets make some magic with this game again then, shall we.

Jager56

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 67
RE: Better Graphics - 4/24/2012 7:37:32 PM   
Warhorse

Dig it!! Breathe some more life into the "Ole Girl"!!

Mike

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to digiartst)
Post #: 68
RE: Better Graphics - 4/24/2012 10:21:25 PM   
MrRoadrunner

quote:

If you are interested in trying the game H2H, there is a very active community over at The Blitz ( http://www.theblitz.org ). While the AI is fun to play, playing against a human takes things to a whole new level. Especially if you try the new Extreme Assault rules (Yes, Mr. RR, I know it isn't for everyone.. ).

LOL! I know you have to sell EA.
BTW, I do not mind it if selected to be played where scenarios were designed for it. I think everyone misunderstands my viewpoint.
I've designed scenarios with it's use in mind. And, I have been working on a project to see if some of the unbalanced "classic" scenarios could be made more balanced through it's use (a tedious job).

EA It's a game changer. I did not think the game needed to be changed. Improved, supported, new units (in scale), and with better graphics that enhance it.

And, don't forget the brothel units, pink Tigers, pineapples!

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Post #: 69
RE: Better Graphics - 4/24/2012 10:32:47 PM   
MrRoadrunner

quote:

quote:

Cool mike!
Once again, kudos from me!
You guys really know how to go to the next level to improve the game.
I wish I had the ability and/or the talent!

I guess only infantry would benefit? Though, tanks can be hull down?
I wonder how long it would take to dig in?

Thanks!
RR

It would take a full day for a 5 man crew with two shovels to dig a tank in to hull down(depending on Terrain, conditions,etc), I could see this in a design your own sceanrio(defensive) but to be able to dig a tank in , during game time would be hard to believe. Now the American units had dozer tanks that could dig far fater but they are not represented in the game and were rare being only in construction units. As to the slit trenches there was a debate at TS, wether to make the improved posistions bold or obscure. "Bold" won so that is why they are so pronounced in their construction. since there was no plan to make infantry jump into the trenches (just heads popping up), the slit trench idea was dropped and the IP sandbag approach was used. I don't know if the progam is capable of haveing a jump in or entering approach, I guees if the slit trench used the same logic as boarding a truck you could of course you cannot shoot out of a truck. I am not a programmer so I do not know.

Jager56

The existing trenches look good. Digging in with a circle of sandbags is nice. But, it would be also cool to have slit trenches when digging in the open or tree lines. "Bolding" them would work (or outline them in white?).

LOL! I ran bulldozer and backhoe, as well as digging ditches by hand, when I was younger. I know about how long it would take to dig in a tank.

You are singing to the choir here.
I am the guy who has issues with the new bridging engineers, wreck clearing, airplane bases, and some of the new ship stuff.

I'm like a gong in an concert hall full of deaf people. They see what I say ... but.

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”

(in reply to digiartst)
Post #: 70
RE: Better Graphics - 4/24/2012 10:36:26 PM   
MrRoadrunner

quote:

Jager56

I have some ability with miniatures. I even have a collection of 1/300th scale planes.
You guys are giving me some desire to dig out the paint and brushes and buy some micro armor.

Let me know if you can use me?

RR

(in reply to digiartst)
Post #: 71
RE: Better Graphics - 4/24/2012 11:57:04 PM   
digiartst

quote:

And, I have been working on a project to see if some of the unbalanced "classic" scenarios could be made more balanced through it's use (a tedious job).

RR

Balance and War do not make any sense to me. To me the units that were there are the units that were there in a battle reproduction. Balance to me should only be done with VP's
and the amount on VP hexes. I personally cannot stand a well balanced battle because they historically were rare.
The Generals main job was to out think the other guy to make the balance unfair. If the right units were their historically faceing the right enemy units, that is a balanced recreation, in my book. I rememeber playtesting some of the scenarios and finding them very one sided and liking the whole "can I hold on challange".
TS reconized alot of this and gave a challage to the overwhelming force in vp to achieve a victory. I understand that the popular theme seems to be make it balanced so I am sure thats what the population will like.
To me the regular German army is way to mobile, very few German divisions where mechanized and they used horse and wagon for most of the heavy artillery and troop support. Trucks in the quantity the game gives you was rare.
TS told me that they did that to get to the battle quicker and it was not accurate but made for faster actions and battles. My argument to that is how can it be a good representation of the rigors of war. Most armies except the American Army used a shank horse(walked) everywhere they went. That is why the American Army was so manuverable vs 3/4 of the German army which were still using horse and foot to get around. Rebuild a scenario using the true transport ratio of horse vs machine and you will see the mighty Blitzkrieg army grind to a slow crawl. Elite units were totally mechanised but most of the Wehrmacht was not. Making the Germans as mobile as the Americans gives a great advantage to the Germans they did not have. Now that type of play balance I am all for.

RR I have not tried your system I will have to try it out sometime.

Jager56

Post #: 72
RE: Better Graphics - 4/25/2012 12:06:17 AM   
digiartst

quote:

quote:

Jager56

I have some ability with miniatures. I even have a collection of 1/300th scale planes.
You guys are giving me some desire to dig out the paint and brushes and buy some micro armor.

Let me know if you can use me?

RR

No painting need just primer, they were painted in photoshop. You just need a camera a small turn table marked out for hex rotation, a white card to set the miniature down on and a tripod with the camera at the right down angle. Snap 6 picture turning the turntable to its marks , thats the way it was originally done. in photoshop you use the magic wand to isolate areas and digtally paint , the shrink them down to the right size and add a shadow. make the bg layer pink. and set colors to indexed colors.

The rest is database stuff.

Jager56

Post #: 73
RE: Better Graphics - 4/25/2012 1:01:38 AM   
Warhorse

quote:

quote:

And, I have been working on a project to see if some of the unbalanced "classic" scenarios could be made more balanced through it's use (a tedious job).

RR

Balance and War do not make any sense to me. To me the units that were there are the units that were there in a battle reproduction. Balance to me should only be done with VP's
and the amount on VP hexes. I personally cannot stand a well balanced battle because they historically were rare.
The Generals main job was to out think the other guy to make the balance unfair. If the right units were their historically faceing the right enemy units, that is a balanced recreation, in my book. I rememeber playtesting some of the scenarios and finding them very one sided and liking the whole "can I hold on challange".
TS reconized alot of this and gave a challage to the overwhelming force in vp to achieve a victory. I understand that the popular theme seems to be make it balanced so I am sure thats what the population will like.
To me the regular German army is way to mobile, very few German divisions where mechanized and they used horse and wagon for most of the heavy artillery and troop support. Trucks in the quantity the game gives you was rare.
TS told me that they did that to get to the battle quicker and it was not accurate but made for faster actions and battles. My argument to that is how can it be a good representation of the rigors of war. Most armies except the American Army used a shank horse(walked) everywhere they went. That is why the American Army was so manuverable vs 3/4 of the German army which were still using horse and foot to get around. Rebuild a scenario using the true transport ratio of horse vs machine and you will see the mighty Blitzkrieg army grind to a slow crawl. Elite units were totally mechanised but most of the Wehrmacht was not. Making the Germans as mobile as the Americans gives a great advantage to the Germans they did not have. Now that type of play balance I am all for.

RR I have not tried your system I will have to try it out sometime.

Jager56

Amen!! I have a Korean War scenario that is driving me nuts trying to balance it. The forces are historical, the Chinese in this battle did NOT have any tanks or ATG's, just lots of troops blocking the road, and surrounding terrain, bangalore torpedo-type pole mines, and some Recoiless rifles and bazookas. The UN must send a tank force North to exit, they were to reinforce the 23rd Regt in Chipyong-ni. I've been told it needs ATG's, UN OBA, etc., but I don't want to get a-historical. Playing it hotseat was awesome, PLA assaults on the armor and the desperate run for the map edge.

Mike

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to digiartst)
Post #: 74
RE: Better Graphics - 4/25/2012 10:39:35 AM   
MrRoadrunner

quote:

Jager, since Talonsoft was leaning toward most players using the game versus the AI balance was not as much of an issue? Some of the early scenario designers realized the true potential of PBEM and made a few scenarios designed that way.

It's my belief that PBEM, and clubs like The Blitz kept the game alive through all the years after Talonsoft left the scene. Don't get me wrong, I still think it is the best game design for platoon level warfare simulation, but, it shines best playing versus another human.
And, Matrix "breathed life" back into the game with it's support. Though, it is the PBEM cadre that provides the "life blood" that keeps it going.

I think "balance", and new scenarios, go hand in hand with the enthusiasm of the PBEM crowd. Keep the crowd happy and the game will stick around for a bit longer?
The plethora of old scenarios that were not balanced (and are really not fun to play versus human) can be re-energized by seeing if Extreme Assault would make them a bit more balanced when playing versus a human. Therefore it would make them more fun to play and provide a greater number of "new" PBEM scenarios that can be played by e-mail (overnight doubling - or more - the amount of PBEM games).

I also believe snippets of battles can be the scenario theme. Yes, most historical attacks start with the attacker having a three (or more) to one advantage. That was just the way battles were planned? But, an operation that is part of a battle can provide balance. IMO, more so than throwing all the forces that were there onto a map and saying "I don't care about balance. I only care about historical accuracy." How then "balance" a scenario versus another human? Maybe make the victory levels higher? Then what fun is it for the "other guy"?

BTW, for the sake of clarity, I believe that balance is not equal forces. It has more to do with victory levels and the quality of the forces used in the battle.

RR

(in reply to digiartst)
Post #: 75
RE: Better Graphics - 4/25/2012 3:25:44 PM   
junk2drive

I notice that the screenshots for the upcoming Close Combat game touts the improvement from 32 bit over the old 8 bit.

Post #: 76
RE: Better Graphics - 4/25/2012 5:43:53 PM   
digiartst

quote:

quote:

Jager, since Talonsoft was leaning toward most players using the game versus the AI balance was not as much of an issue? Some of the early scenario designers realized the true potential of PBEM and made a few scenarios designed that way.

It's my belief that PBEM, and clubs like The Blitz kept the game alive through all the years after Talonsoft left the scene. Don't get me wrong, I still think it is the best game design for platoon level warfare simulation, but, it shines best playing versus another human.
And, Matrix "breathed life" back into the game with it's support. Though, it is the PBEM cadre that provides the "life blood" that keeps it going.

I think "balance", and new scenarios, go hand in hand with the enthusiasm of the PBEM crowd. Keep the crowd happy and the game will stick around for a bit longer?
The plethora of old scenarios that were not balanced (and are really not fun to play versus human) can be re-energized by seeing if Extreme Assault would make them a bit more balanced when playing versus a human. Therefore it would make them more fun to play and provide a greater number of "new" PBEM scenarios that can be played by e-mail (overnight doubling - or more - the amount of PBEM games).

I also believe snippets of battles can be the scenario theme. Yes, most historical attacks start with the attacker having a three (or more) to one advantage. That was just the way battles were planned? But, an operation that is part of a battle can provide balance. IMO, more so than throwing all the forces that were there onto a map and saying "I don't care about balance. I only care about historical accuracy." How then "balance" a scenario versus another human? Maybe make the victory levels higher? Then what fun is it for the "other guy"?

BTW, for the sake of clarity, I believe that balance is not equal forces. It has more to do with victory levels and the quality of the forces used in the battle.

RR

I agree and everybody who supports this game for all these years is amazing (from what I have read)and I agree with the whole balance thing to keep people playing. I guess a simple this is not balanced disclaimer on a custom scenario would be all that is needed. I myself feel alot of the problem with balance is as you say the companies want to put the fun units into the game and not really simulate all that went on. Many times when I played other humans, my scouts cars could reek havoc in the rear areas because he did not retain any security uints and left flanks open for recon to come through. One of the many reasons the Germans were hard pressed in the war was the lack of fast transport for its troops plus a large slow supply train. The Russians received a lot of lend lease trucks.

Anyway this is not art talk, so I am going to talk art talk. So going along my way of wanting to play. I started making the backbone of the German army the Opel truck. I am modeling a fuel truck configuration right now and then will make an ammo truck.There are also other trucks the German used so I will look into modeling some of those, with their various duties represented. I need to get back into the swing of modeling these little guys again.
To go along with me wanting to make a scenario with the true horse to vehicle ratio, I am going to make various wagons that were towed by the horses, including cassons, ammo wagons, kitchens, bakeries, and baggage wagons.If the game animation system only lends to the original game wagon and cannot support anything else animated, I will convert the wagon to equipment moving only, since most German troops did not ride in wagons for transport, but the cassons did tow their appropriate guns.

I hope I can make the ammo wagons, fuel trucks, any other logistics units using present game mechanics made to act like mini headquarters with a range of lets say 3 (real Range TBD) to bring supply. Victory points for these units will be high, to prevent reconnaissance by truck. I always felt the cheap cost of trucks was wrong, they are actually more vital than tanks to especially the Germans.

So that is my Artwork plan for now, to build an accurate German baggage train, to start. People can include these units if they wish for their scenarios. Any thing but Panzer grenadiers would be a slow moving German Army.After the Germans, then the other powers.

Jager56

Of course if Warhorse has more important needs of artwork, this will be put on hold.

Post #: 77
RE: Better Graphics - 4/25/2012 6:19:46 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

So that is my Artwork plan for now, to build an accurate German baggage train, to start. People can include these units if they wish for their scenarios. Any thing but Panzer grenadiers would be a slow moving German Army.After the Germans, then the other powers.

We'd be happy to include any of the new graphics. We can make the additions to the platoon/weapons files, create the .bit files and include them the 1.05 UPDATE.

If you wish to upgrade any of the existing graphics, that is always appreciated too!

Jason Petho

(in reply to digiartst)
Post #: 78
RE: Better Graphics - 4/25/2012 6:27:32 PM   
digiartst

quote:

quote:

We'd be happy to include any of the new graphics. We can make the additions to the platoon/weapons files, create the .bit files and include them the 1.05 UPDATE.

If you wish to upgrade any of the existing graphics, that is always appreciated too!

Jason Petho

Like what?

James Gorman
JAGER56

Post #: 79
RE: Better Graphics - 4/25/2012 6:37:22 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

Like what?

Using the Unit Viewer from your install ( Programs (Program Files) --> John Tiller's Campaign Series --> Unit Viewer ... or something like that) to scan through the various platoons...

...anything that makes you cringe when you see it

Jason Petho

(in reply to digiartst)
Post #: 80
RE: Better Graphics - 4/28/2012 2:58:52 PM   
junk2drive

Question for you graphics and programming guys, how did the Close Combat team change the next version to 32 bit graphics?

My hope is that you can use a graphics program to batch change the bmps and rewrite a few lines of code in the exe.

Failing an answer maybe Jason can chat with Erik or someone with Matrix about how difficult it was to do.

Post #: 81
RE: Better Graphics - 4/29/2012 10:46:22 PM   
digiartst

quote:

quote:

Like what?

Using the Unit Viewer from your install ( Programs (Program Files) --> John Tiller's Campaign Series --> Unit Viewer ... or something like that) to scan through the various platoons...

...anything that makes you cringe when you see it

Jason Petho

OK Jason I am new to the board but an old man to art. So I will just say good effort to keep the game going, I think some of the treatments to the units have taken away alot of detail, when I did the camo on any of my mods I kept insuring the only thing that would change was no camo to camo. I find alot of the artwork blury with very little detail. I like what you guys were trying to do, to pick up the torch so to speak. The thing that really worries me, is some of the tint changing that was done to visually set one type of the same tank apart from the other, some of the tanks and especially the infantry have had most of their detail completely mushed out.
I feel I have not earned my stripes with you guys yet. So I am going to finish my German fuel truck Opel design. just to get back into things, then when you see I am the real Art deal, we can email in private away from the boards and see what I think needs to be reworked and made in 3d for ultimate detail.
Again for just pixel pushing you guys have done a great job.

James Gorman
Digiartst
Jager56

Post #: 82
RE: Better Graphics - 4/29/2012 10:50:47 PM   
junk2drive

Don't forget that the units were easier to see on a 640x480 screen than now.

(in reply to digiartst)
Post #: 83
RE: Better Graphics - 4/29/2012 11:00:18 PM   
digiartst

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

Don't forget that the units were easier to see on a 640x480 screen than now.

So are you saying the resolution has changed? photoshop is photoshop. This was very small artwork in its time but photoshop shows the resolution you have. I have all my old disks from the original I will look to see if the resolution changed from original to now.

Thanks for the heads up

Jager56

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 84
RE: Better Graphics - 4/29/2012 11:06:55 PM   
junk2drive

I'm saying that my desktop is 1440x900 and old games look real small compared to what I remember on my old CRT in the 90s. Of course my bifocals may have something to do with it too...

(in reply to digiartst)
Post #: 85
RE: Better Graphics - 4/29/2012 11:40:02 PM   
digiartst

quote:

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

I'm saying that my desktop is 1440x900 and old games look real small compared to what I remember on my old CRT in the 90s. Of course my bifocals may have something to do with it too...

Yep your right there, sometimes I go into compatbility mode and dial in the old resolution, to play some games. I ment no ffence I was just saying visuaaly some of the mod images are lacking detail, it very hard to pixel push to get that kind of detail. At first TS tried to pixel push to make the units I wound up making in 3d to give the same unit detail, so if you guys were just pixel pushing then, you did some amazing work. When I make units for this I will be making them in 3d first. So the model will give natural detail.

Jager56

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 86
RE: Better Graphics - 4/30/2012 1:12:39 AM   
Warhorse

Yep, no 3D here, James!! Sorry, I only did what I could do with limited time and resources. Some vehicles I couldn't find decent pics of, so did what I could. I always wished I could get a good camera and models to do just that, as a 1/285th modeller, I painted LOTS of vehicles, still have 'em, painted numbers on the turrets and everything, but a camera and tripod, I have not!!

Mike

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to digiartst)
Post #: 87
RE: Better Graphics - 4/30/2012 1:24:12 AM   
junk2drive

Wire clothes hanger, cell phone with camera, duct tape, simple...

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 88
RE: Better Graphics - 4/30/2012 1:33:08 AM   
Warhorse

Heh, heh!! Would be very cool to have all the models to do this with, I must say, much easier than by hand, takes hours....
Mike

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 89
RE: Better Graphics - 4/30/2012 7:29:59 PM   
digiartst

quote:

ORIGINAL: Warhorse

Yep, no 3D here, James!! Sorry, I only did what I could do with limited time and resources. Some vehicles I couldn't find decent pics of, so did what I could. I always wished I could get a good camera and models to do just that, as a 1/285th modeller, I painted LOTS of vehicles, still have 'em, painted numbers on the turrets and everything, but a camera and tripod, I have not!!

Mike

If you guys are serious and the game can take a newer resolution, or 32 bit , I have the setup , camera, tripod, turntable lights.. etc, to photograph GHQ miniatures just like TS did. I also have 2 friends that have a lot of the units so I could run tests on them, but what would be a standard resolution you would want the unit to be? the present units are approx 88x88 (give or take depending on unit)indexed color, so are we talking 200x200/32 bit. TS made a deal with GHQ hence if you notice in the old TS manuals they advertised GHQ in the back. Maybe Matrix could swing the same deal for needed units I could not get my hands on.That would still leave terrain but most Terrain could be made in any kind of game toolkit these days, like NWN2 tool kit then reworked in Photoshop.
The German fuel truck is 85% done, it should have been done earlier but I kept building a lot of detail in it you probably would never see, because I work in 3d product development now and everything has to be precise.

So hopefully I will publish some pictures of it tonight, after I get my homework duty done with my kids.

Guys for the tools you had to work with you did a great job, the question is can this game support modern graphics, and would that make it sell more? because that would be a lot of work.

James

Jager56
Digiartst

(in reply to Warhorse)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> RE: Better Graphics Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI