Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Feb 7-8, 1942

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Feb 7-8, 1942 Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Feb 7-8, 1942 - 4/2/2012 5:14:01 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
February 7-8, 1942

Sorry about that three part update above. Can only type with the time allowed.

In the realm of 'what the HELL?' I have an interesting Post this morning.

North Pacific
CV Saratoga stays in the same hex SE of Adak both days and continues launching small strikes again the Naval Guard and large Base Force there. I cannot fathom what he is doing and am then stunned on the 8th to see an INVASION FORCE attempt to land troops there! It is FEBRUARY. Two modern CLs Honolulu-Helena provide gunfire support while the 201st Inf Reg tries to crawl ashore. They take terrible losses and I order an Attack for tomorrow. There is nothing to strike the shipping there with immediately.

Attu: While he is occupied there I work to unload a CD unit at my main base. Also order several more warships to gather here. Only have a CL and some older DDs but might take a swipe. With Saratoga there this is not a very good idea so I shall think on it. Order 15 more Zero from the Kawai Detachment to Paramushiro Jima where they will hop over to Attu on the next turn. Should provide enough CAP to bloody any incoming American Raid.

WHY do this??? He is going to lose an Inf Reg for sure. I grabbed these bases against no opposition so I knew my disruption (winter landings) wouldn't be too bad. To land in the face of opposition is not very good.

Central Pacific
My 6 DDs arrive at Jaluit to meet several Tankers and a CL. They will refuel and rest a couple of days before taking another swipe at Christmas. There is now a STF at Christmas with at least a CL and couple of DDs. May, instead, send my DDs down to Pago Pago for a swipe there.

South Pacific
Have shifted to Sweeps with 54 Zeros the last couple of days over PM. This has done the trick as all Fighter opposition has ended (for the moment). My bombers start hitting the base again on the 7th.

KB disbands at Rabaul on the 6th and will stay for a few days. Zuikaku is getting in better shape as her SYS damage has dropped to 12 (from 18). Have to decide where my 4 Big Boys are going. Think a Raid towards Sydney and NZ might be fun. Want to keep Allied shipping stopped if possible.

Land at Lihir and Tanna on the 8th.

Four Japanese Inf Div are approaching Rabaul. They will be shuttled right on through to Noumea where they can get R&R and fillout over the next month.

Philippines
Preparing the land at the next Central Philippines island.

Java
Attack Madioen on the 8th with an SNLF Brigade. The result is barely 1-2 so I will use the freshly arrived 2nd Inf Div to take the base tomorrow.

Bombard Cocos and get a few planes. Will take this island as soon as resistance in Java ends.

I have been mining the Merak--Oosthaven Strait. Three time now I have been rewarded with hearing a mine explosion sound effect. Can only imagine that SS are hitting the field and not having good days! Have created an ASW TF in this area as well as dedicated 27 bombers to fly ASW over this region. Perhaps I can take a swipe at the Allied SS in this area.

Malaya
Johore Bharu falls on the 8th. Screenshot Posted below. Get a 3-1 and force 2 Aussie Brigades and an Indian Brig to retreat at heavy loss (5,794 Cas). When one totals what I destroyed north of here and what was just forced back, I think Singapore will fall FAST. Rest my 3 Inf Div and await the 21st ID which should begin unloading at Mersing tomorrow.

Burma
Already detailed in earlier Post.

China
Nanyang falls to the combined weight of 7 Inf Div! The attack is at 6-1 destroying one unit and forcing another six back towards Sian. Chinese losses are terrible (15,182 with 1245 Squads Destroyed). We can now begin the march to Sian presently.

Engeerinng:
Corunna Downs AF-1
Merak AF-2

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/2/2012 5:15:17 PM >

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 301
The Great White North - 4/2/2012 5:23:54 PM   
John 3rd

Here is current disposition of TF up north:

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 302
A Gift... - 4/2/2012 5:29:10 PM   
John 3rd

How to take Southern Burma for little cost...

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 303
Australia - 4/2/2012 5:36:17 PM   
John 3rd

Here is the movement of troops in Australia:

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 304
Naval Building - 4/2/2012 5:47:02 PM   
John 3rd

Here are the reinforcements scheduled coming in for the Kaigun:

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 305
RE: Naval Building - 4/2/2012 9:40:45 PM   
seille

Even i repeat myself....You´re incredibly fast.

And thanks that you posted some maps.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 306
Feb 9, 1942 - 4/3/2012 4:23:10 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
February 9, 1942

North Pacific
The great American winter campaign of 1942 ends (after 24 hours) with the USA immediately pulling out the shattered 201st Regiment. Too bad. I had planned on sending 7 DD into the waters there to take a swipe at the American TF. The CLs bombard and Saratoga launches a full strike at Adak to cover the withdrawal.

If Lew seriously wants to play up here then I will do so. Several SS get orders to move up into these waters. As said earlier the new Junyo, Nisshin, and Yamato will make their 'training' cruise up here and try to bag us an American CV. I've got 3 DD in Yokohoma but need enough to make an effective screen so I order 3 freshly repaired DDs from Hong Kong and Manila to head to that base. There is one 8,000T AO operating in the north so I will use it for refueling purposes.

Central Pacific
Am pulling back SS from West Coast and Hawaii as they need to refuel and redirecting them towards Australia--NZ where they will operate out of Noumea.

South Pacific
The first of the Aussie Inf Div pass Rabaul on their way to Noumea and Koumac. Due to stacking requirements I will initially base two at each base along with support troops. The 5th and 6th IDs will be landed at La Foa. All six will then rest and rebuild for the mid-March Operation.

Take Kihir and Tanna.

Hit PM this day with two Sweeps and three different bombing raids by Sally, Betty, and Kate.

Java
Attack Madioen with the 2nd Inf Div and get a 2-1 lowering Forts to 0. The base will fall next round.

DEI
Attack Tarakan (for the 5th or 6th time) with the 4th Inf Reg and get a 1-1. Need that darned 2-1! Well...the 90th Inf Reg is only a few days away and that will certainly finish things off.

OIL: This leads me to comment that I now have ALL the major oil facilities and fields and NONE of them suffered any meaningful damage. Thank Goodness!

Burma
Take Toungoo without a fight.

Engineering:
Changchun AF-5
Palembang AF-5

Reinforcements:
I-28 arrives at Tokyo

NOTES:
Must plan ahead here.

1. Order another 20-25 smaller AKs converted into troop transports for the Aussie Invasions.
2. Start loading 100,000 supply for New Caledonia so I've got enough for a solid start. Port Hedlund already has over 50,000 supply in it.
3. Fuel is being shuttled forward to Koepang, Rabaul, and Noumea.
4. Start building the SS Cordon (25-30 SS) around the target.

I cannot hide these growing developments. Must hope that the troops moving into New Caledonia will APPEAR to be going east towards Suva. The offensive threatening Katherine and points south is 'normal' for me so Lew shouldn't think too much about that for the moment.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/3/2012 5:46:15 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to seille)
Post #: 307
Feb 10-11, 1942 - 4/4/2012 4:27:31 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
February 10-11, 1942

February is slipping away and I feel the pressure to keep to the time table for the Australia Landings. Got to get Java and Malaya wrapped up---FAST!

North Pacific
The Americans pullout and disappear into the woodwork. I Fast TF a Con Bn into Adak so that AF can move along a bit faster. It isn't too far from Lvl-1. Will move 24 Floatplanes there at that point. Attu is nearly at Lvl-2 and I have an Air Flotilla at sea heading there. No more freebies once that gets there!

Central Pacific
No developments

South Pacific
The Coral Sea is filled with TF carrying troops to New Caledonia. Makes me a little nervous to see all those boys moving along without more Air Search making sure my opponent doesn't do anything 'crazy.'

Zuikaku is down to Sys 11. A few more days in Rabaul and all four CVs will be able to operate.

Take Vanimo and land at Mare.

Going to use the TF bringing the Inf Div to Noumea and Koumac to lift the 144th Inf Reg and Imperial Guards Brigade and bring them back to Rabaul. 9th Air Fleet shall be present at that point and so we'll load for the Cairns Operation. Will land at Cairns with the above units plus the Chinese Inf Div I bought out about 6 weeks ago. Should be a strong enough force to really catch Lew's attention.

Looks like the towel has been thrown in at PM. No fighters rise to challenge my Zeros and Bombers on either the 10th or 11th. Good.

Philippines
Take Dumaguete and order the 65th to move up the coast to grab the other town on that island.

Basitan falls on the 11th.

Java
Madioen falls on the 10th to the 2nd Inf Div. Order them to follow the beaten survivors. The 21st Inf Brig is moving along the northern coast.

Unload 35,000 supply at Soerabaja so I can expand the Repair Yard for Shoho.

Cocos gets the attention of a BC and 3 CA on the 10th.

Soryu is down to 2 SYS Damage. When she hits zero I will form-up a TF to get her to Kong Kong. The CV is capable of 24 knots so she should get there in pretty good shape. Zuiho continues her trek towards Manila by passing Balikpapan.

Malaya
OK. Time to play. Order the troops at Johore Bharu to advance to Singapore.

There is a TK Reg present at JB and it isn't needed for Singapore so it is ordered up to Georgetown for shipment to Rangoon.

Burma
Troops getting settled at Rangoon. Am advancing NW towards Prome.

China
Lew gets tired of me kicking him around and orders several stalemated hexes to attack. This is a surprise and gains my attention. Doesn't look like much of a threat but I will need to clean-up the backfield in China much SOONER then later.

SS Ops
I-169 sinks AK Santa Rita at Suva.

Engineering
Rabaul AF-5

Reinforcements
A new, large AO enters Japanese service at Nagasaki. I will use this fine addition to support my Northern Venture.

Notes:
1. Three Supply Convoys finish loading at Osaka and head for Rabaul, Koumac, and Noumea. They carry--respectively--25,000, 35,000, and 75,000 supply. Supply is running short in the Home Islands so I cannot do very much of this.
2. Convert nearly 30 AK over to Transport mode. Once I have gotten the troops into Australia then these ships will have to be put back into original form so they can get to work hauling stuff.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/4/2012 4:28:45 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 308
RE: Feb 10-11, 1942 - 4/4/2012 5:07:33 PM   
obvert

Its a flurry of activity all over the board it seems. What air support will you bring to OZ and will you bring large portions of the IJAAF?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 309
RE: Feb 10-11, 1942 - 4/4/2012 6:15:48 PM   
John 3rd

Hey Sir.

The army will provide nearly all the support in the West on the drive towards Perth. Will have some naval air to go after convoys and shipping but figure about 300-350 planes in this area.

Figure about 100 army aircraft going down the Center towards Alice Springs.

The IJN will carry the east. Will deploy the 9th Air Fleet plus about 150 more planes (some Army) so that should be closer to 500 aircraft. Will use this aerial armada starting at Cairns and then move south to Townsville as quick as I can.

ALL Army and Navy Transports will concentrate at Corunna Downs or south of Townsville for the jumps that will seal the final landings.

The CVs will cover each flank trying to go after reinforcements. Looks like I should have CarDiv2 and Ryujo on the western side and CarDiv1 and 5 in the east.

This will leave the 2 CVLs repairing plus the new Junyo and Nisshin for additional duty.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/4/2012 6:17:11 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 310
RE: Feb 10-11, 1942 - 4/4/2012 7:54:27 PM   
obvert

Sounds well covered. Just was wondering if this would leave you short in areas like Java, Singapore (if it's not yet captured), and China. I guess even if this is the case, you have to pick your battles and it looks like you're all in for this one. You should have air superiority with that lot as long as not many US planes have made it to OZ.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 311
RE: Feb 10-11, 1942 - 4/5/2012 6:39:00 PM   
John 3rd

I have a profound fear of Lew trying ANYTHING while I'm in Australia. Have to reinforce Burma with at least an Inf Div to help there and get up to--at least--Mandalay.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 312
February 12-15, 1942 - 4/6/2012 5:18:06 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
February 12-15, 1942

We are entering a definite lull between major operations as the Fleet does necessary repairs and troops are shuffled about to their forward operating areas. Probably 75% of the Fleet has been in Port for 7-10 days. There is no major action during this period of 4 days. It is coming but not quite yet.

North Pacific
Attu finally moves to AF-2 and Adak's AF is about to become operational. I move 24 Floatplanes to Adak for Air Search. Attu has 24 FP, 27 Zero, 12 Val, and 12 Kates at the moment. An Air Flotilla unloads at Paramushiro Jima and is reloaded onto 10 DDs for a quick run into Attu.

Lew is staying active up here with a pair of CLs regularly bombarding Adak. When I bring the new CVs up here, I intend to 'lure' Saratoga out with bait by having couple of convoys arrive at Adak and several other locations. WANT that CV!

Central Pacific
I have a SS spot a TF heading for Christmas so I form-up 1 CL and 6 DD at Jaluit to possibly take a swipe at them. If my recon shows more then I can reasonably handle then this TF might hit Pago Pago instead.

South Pacific
I have BUNCHES of troop transports, AOs, and Cargo TF moving between Rabaul and New Caledonia. Makes me nervous...

9th Air Fleet is nearly to Rabaul. Aircraft are in transit: 108 Zero arrive at Truk, 27 Val--27 Kate--36 Nell arrive at Rabaul. To Cover the troop convoys and improve recon/air search I deploy most of the 9th's Long Range Floatplanes: 12 Emily--Milne Bay, 12 Emily--Koumac, 12 Emily--Noumea. These join 18 Mavis already working. Should have a pretty good idea of enemy ship movements now. Also order recon of Norfolk and Lord Howe. First results appear to find these important bases EMPTY. If they are I will GRAB THEM ASAP!

My 4 Inf Div should begin unloading this turn but I spot a STF possibly approaching Noumea so I form-up a STF of 1 CL and 3 DD to fight them there while I pull those Troop Convoys back a little bit Move 27 Betty to Noumea. There is an Air Flotilla there so now I have some striking power here.

In China I pick-up the 3rd Inf Div. It will join the 13th ID, Imperial Guards Brigade, and 144th Inf Reg in attacking NE Australia.

Philippines
Zamboanga falls on the 15th freeing up some troops for garrison duty in the Philppines. 65th Brigade is approaching Bacolad in the Central Philippines.

Java
Semarang falls on the 12th.

Soerakarta falls on the 13th

The Offensive in Java is picking up pace.

Have an SNLF Brigade prepping for Cocos Island.

Malaya
My 3 Inf Divisions cross the strait and land at Singapore. HEAVY disruption but things look good as I take minimal casualties. His combat strength is rated at 500 when I cross. Think this MIGHT be easy. Let the troops rest for a bit and then order an attack on the 16th. 21st ID is nearly to Johore Bharu and will reinforce the assault if needed.

Burma
It APPEARS Lew has evacuated back to Mandalay. Wow. I will take the freebie. Have a TK Reg at Georgetown to move up and reinforce my minimal troops in this region. Starting to move aircraft into the theatre. VERY nervous here...

Australia
Hex 74,129 (west of Katherine at the river) begins to see a see-saw fight between a pair of Tk Reg and 4 Aussie units. Welcome the fight as my HQ and SNLF Assault Brigade goes by it to the north heading directly for Katherine.

Fly in 54 Sally and 36 Oscars to Wyndham to begin operations.

China
The outer battle for Sian begins as troops move up the road from Nanyang and west along the road from Loyang. Heavy resistance at the moment and we shall see what happens. After managing to keep my supply high for the first two months, supplies are now dwindling so this is an issue.

Engineering:
12th: Adak AF-2 and Wyndham AF-2
13th: Paramushiro Jima AF-4, Jehol AF-8, Koumac AF-1
14th: Port Hedlund AF-1 and Wyndham Pt-2
15th: Nagasaki AF-5 and Corunna Downs AF-2

Bases Taken:
12th: Vella Lavella, Mare, Feni, Semarang, Jv
13th: Green Island, Hollandia, Emirau, Soerakarta, Jv
14th: Batjan
15th: Rennell, Zamboanga, Phil, Sarmi, Manus, Buka, Sambas

Damaged CVs:
The long wait for getting my CVs repaired is nearing its end. Zuiho is two days out from Manila and will repair there. Zuikaku is under 10 SYS and available for operations. Soryu's SYS is now 0 and she is getting ready to head for Hong Kong. This only leave little Shoho and she will leave for nearby Soerabaja in a few days. Cannot believe I have managed to save ALL these CVs--CVLs. Got damned lucky in this area...

Economy:
Supply is low in the Home Islands so I will pull no more for a month or so to let them come up. Didn't have enough engines in several categories (got lazy not watching my aircraft production expansion in relation to engine numbers!) so am adding there a bunch of new ones. Cannot wait for my naval reinforcements!

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/6/2012 5:28:33 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 313
February 12-15, 1942 - 4/6/2012 5:23:10 PM   
John 3rd

NO screenshots today as I accidentally advanced the turn prior saving it in another slot so I could pull it back up. Oopps.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 314
RE: February 12-15, 1942 - 4/10/2012 7:33:36 PM   
John 3rd

Been a busy couple of days working in the yard. Turns keep going though. Just sent the 2-21 turn to Lew. There have been a few major developments and I shall detail them tonight or tomorrow morning. Thanks for the patience.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 315
February 16-21, 1942 - 4/11/2012 5:03:32 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
February 16-21, 1942

Busy days as everything begins moving towards the ultimate Aussie showdown. Lew continues to counter-punch (somewhat effectively) at cost to his naval forces. Nothing too crazy but things a re certainly interesting!

North Pacific
Reasonably quiet up here for the moment. I've moved a pair of AOs to PJ so I can take care of my Carrier TF once it is ready to leave the Home Islands. Have decided to use a couple of AKLs as a lure to draw Lew out with Saratoga. These TF will move into recon range and begin unloading at Adak, Amchitka, etc... They will be protected by small STF so is APPEARS that the area is still playing 3rd fiddle to the rest of the Pacific. As that happens, I will use Junyo, Nisshin, Yamato to swing around BEHIND the Allies and try to nail that CV. Plan to lose some ships here but the cost SHOULD be worth the price...

Central Pacific
On the 20th my little STF of a CL and 5 DD runs into a strong American TF of CA San Francisco, CL Phoenix, and 6 DD. The range OPENS at 2,000 yards and my DDs land crippling hits on the CL and 1 DD, however, I lose DD Urakaze for the fight. The remaining ships disengage and head for home. Hmmm...I guess it could have been worse...

South Pacific
CRAZY action here. The 16th-20th sees Lew throw CA Australia, CLs Leander, Trenton, and Concord in single ship STF at anything in the waters around New Caledonia. His recon had picked up all those troops convoys moving from Rabaul to this Island. The result of these moves is CHAOS as I try to sink yet more of his cruiser force AND keep my convoys out of harm's way. The end result is OK. My light forces damage every cruiser and then the BIG BOYS (Hyuga--Ise) arrive and crush the Trenton.

Have never seen my Betty more ineffective as in this period of days. They fly from Noumea each day and night and didn't score a SINGLE hit. Pretty wild. His cruisers do score one victory during this as CA Australia gets into a Convoy carrying 3 Art units and 18,000 supply. She sinks 9 AK and a 1 PB destroying two units and putting 13,000 supply down about 15,000Ft of water.

This craziness has me bring the KB out a few days earlier then planned. Every CV is now at a SYS 8 Damage or less as they depart. The CVs arrive between New Caledonia and eastern Australia on the 21st and look for shipping. I move them slightly NW towards Townsville as I have been seeing shipping there for the last few days.

I swing an Invasion Force past PM and grab Terapo on the 19th. Lew sends a couple of DDs here on the 20th and CA Kinugasa hits DD Voyager and sinks DD Benham. The IF then picks up the two Naval Guards and lands them at Horn Island on the 21st. I get a terrible Invasion roll of the dice and my Nvl Guard are badly demoralized when they come ashore. He has a strong enough presence there that I immediately lift them up again and head for Maruake. Will try for Horn again in a bit.

STATUS
1. It appears that Norfolk and Lord Howe Islands are EMPTY. Begin loading an SNLF Assault Brigade to grab both. If I can get Lord Howe then it will become a springboard for my operations in south Aussieland.

2. The 9th Air Fleet is fully deployed at Rabaul and this mass of BF and HQ REALLY pump up construction on the AF and Port! Rabaul is maxed out for troops that can be there presently.

3. The Cairns IF will sortie from Lunga in about a week. It will consist of Imperial Guards Brigade, 144th Inf Reg and the Chinese 13th ID. The 3rd Chinese ID will arrive there from China.

4. Lew has reinforced PM up to 11 units and that is GREAT! It shall serve as a fine prisoner-of-war camp.

5. Two Inf Div shall make there camps at Koumac with another pair at Noumea while they fill out and get ready for the big jump. Will send two more Inf Div from Java as soon as they are available.

Philippines
Land at Dumaguete, take it, and the 65th Brigade arrives at Bacolad on the 21st. Order and attack for tomorrow.

Java
Take Djokartarta on the 16th. Troops continue west. 21st Brigade moves along the north shore and two Inf Div advance along the southern side. Figure end of the month and Java is complete. Shipping is waiting for these troops for an immediate move to New Caledonia.

Order an SNLF Brigade to hit Christmas Isle and then attempt Cocos.

Cocos: my SS have good hunting down here and my STF bombard the island regularly.

DEI
Continuing the reduction of the last units on Sumatra.

Tarakan FINALLY falls on the 20th when the 90th Inf Reg enters the fray. No DAMAGE to oil facilities at all. This final oil center becomes Japanese and ends a brilliant streak of where NOT ONE major oil producing hex sustained any major form of damage. How about that??!!

Malaya
A bit of frustration here. I attack Singapore twice and get 1-1 each time lowering the Forts to 0 but cannot get the 2-1. The 21st ID arrives and crosses over nearly gaining a 2-1 on the 21st. We'll rest a couple of days and try again.

Burma
Holy CRAP! With next to nothing committed to this campaign it appears I am given everything from Mandalay south. How about that??!! Merry Christmas to the Japanese.

Australia
CHAOS. Lew is trying to fight for the Darwin--Katherine area. He has 13 identified units in combat here. I have only 3 TK Reg, an SNLF Brigade, and an Army HQ. This is perfect. Let there be chaos. I want that. Perhaps Lew will be emboldened to throw more into the fray. It can only serve to help situation for later landings. Schedule a Para Landing for the 22nd to try and cut his supply lines.

Port Hedlund and Corunna Downs are expanding quite nicely and will serve as my direct support area for the Perth Assault.

China
The Chinese have suddenly grow a spine. My assault towards Sian has been stymied by blocking force along each road. Hex limits hurts here as well and so we'll keep right on knocking and see what happens.

Wenchow (on the coast) is doing the same thing. I have three ID trying to take it and the best they can sustain is 1-1. Hmmm...

Bases Captured:
16th: Munda, Wau, Palopo (Celebes), Djokjakarta, JV
17th: Meiktila, Burma, Rambutyo
18th: Panggoe, Biak, Terapo
19th: 43,71 (Sumatra), 1,000 Ship's Bay, Prome, Burma
20th: Rekata Bay, Great Sitkin, Noemfoor, Talasea, Tarakan
21st: Taung Gyi, Burma

SS Operations:
16th: I-155 hits AK Empire Condor with 1 TT at Cocos
18th: Ro-33 hits AK Empire Curlew at the same location
21st: I-155 sinks AK Empire Peregrine at Cocos with a pair of TTs and I-25 sinks AK Mary Livanos near Sale, Australia

Need to Post the current SS Totals prior to the start of the Aussie Campaign.

Engineering:
16th: Samah AF-5, Lunga AF-2, Oosthaven AK-4
17th: Paramushiro Jima Pt-3
18th: Adak AF-1
19th: Wakkanai AF-2
21st: Pisanlouke AF-2, Rabaul AF-6, Ternate AF-2, Noumea AF-3, Buitenzorg AF-2

Carriers:
1. Zuiho arrives at Manila on the 18th and goes right into drydock.
2. Soryu departs Batavia on the 16th heading for Hong Kong. She shall reach that location on the 23rd.
3. Shoho will depart Batavia tomorrow for Soerabaja

These damaged CVs were HUGELY vulnerable for over a month. I am truly grateful that my aggressive opponent didn't try something spectacular here!

That is the state-of-the-state.

Comments?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/11/2012 5:05:50 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 316
Death to TRENTON! - 4/11/2012 5:08:19 PM   
John 3rd

Yet another Allied cruiser is sunk under the big guns of Hyuga and Ise!

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 317
Comprehensive SS Report - 4/11/2012 6:08:27 PM   
John 3rd

Reluctant Admiral 4.0
Racing the Sunrise
SS Sinkings/Damaged

February 21, 1942

The Japanese Sub Arm continues to have excellent success in preying on Allied shipping to this point of the war. As long as the Subs keep getting moved along to differing areas they do pretty well. The best hunting grounds are pretty obvious from the list below. There is an Ro- and an I-Boat that are ACES presently! Only 1 Japanese SS has been sunk at that point. Have been lucky to get a number of boats home that were severely damaged but lived to fight another day.

Am about to deploy an additional two dozen I-Boats around Australia. This should be interesting...

Here are the numbers:

Midgets
AG Antares Pearl Harbor 12-08-41

Ro-Class
Ro-33
AP Bloemfontein (D) Iliolo 12-08-41
ACP Niagara Iliolo 12-08-41
AKL Joan Moller Lucena 12-11-41
AKL Chengtu (D) Lucena 12-11-41
AK Hailzones Cocos 01-22-42
AK Empire Curlew (D) Cocos 02-18-42

Ro-34
AP Republic Iliolo 12-08-41
S-41 Balbac 01-02-42
AP Glenapp Sabang 01-16-42
AK Katrina (D) Sabang 01-16-42

Ro-65
CL Adelaide Port Moresby 12-09-41

Minelayer SS
I-121
AKL Nam Young Malacca 12-10-41

I-122
AK Steel Worker Horn Isle 01-04-42

I-123
AKL Mangellanes Tawi Tawi 12-09-41

I-124
AO Tan 1 Tandjoenselor 12-08-41
AG Albatross Tandjoenselor 12-08-41
AP Rochussen Tjilitjap 12-23-41

I-Boats
I-2
AK Skagerak Newcastle 01-05-42

I-3
AK Steel Age Newcastle 01-06-42

I-4
AP Kota Agoeng Channel Isles 01-22-42

I-5
AP Kota Baroe Channel Isles 01-23-42

I-9
TK Mobilstation (D) Channel Isles 12-17-41

I-10
AK Steel Ranger (D) Pago Pago 12-30-41
AK Salamaua Gau 01-16-42

I-15
TK California Standard Channel Isles 12-16-41
TK Mobilfuel Channel Isles 12-17-41

I-16
TK Herborg Port Kembla 12-16-41

I-17
AK Royal T. Frank Pago Pago 02-03-42
AP President Jackson Pago Pago 02-03-42

I-19
AK San Gabriel (D) X-Mas 02-04-42
AK Mormacman X-Mas 02-05-42

I-25
AK Mary Livanos Sale 02-21-42

I-153
DD John Ford Balikpapan 12-10-41
AP Rajula (D) Cocos 01-01-42
AK Gandara Cocos 01-01-42

I-155
AK Demosthenes Oosthaven 12-13-41
AKL Belawan Oosthaven 12-14-41
AK Khandalla (D) Cocos 01-25-42
AK Empire Condor (D) Cocos 02-16-42
AK Empire Peregrine Cocos 02-21-42

I-157
AP Australia Star Koggala 12-10-41
TK Peik (D) Albany 01-19-42

I-158
AK Silverteak (D) Koggala 12-30-41
AK Charon Geraldton 01-20-42

I-159
CMc Pro Patria Muntok 12-09-41
TK British Judge (D) Oosthaven 12-13-41
AKL Tatung Oosthaven 12-13-41
AP Camphuys Oosthaven 12-14-41

I-160
AK Ellenga Tambelan 12-12-41

I-162
AK Empire Raja Trivandrum 01-10-42

I-166
CM Willem vd Zoor Toboali 12-10-41

I-168
AP President Coolidge (D) Pago Pago 12-11-41
AP Hugh Scott Pago Pago 12-11-41
CA Louisville (D) Suva 01-11-42

I-169
AG Bridge Suva 01-14-42
AK Alabaman (D) Suva 01-14-42
AK Steel Trader (D) Suva 01-15-42
AK Santa Rita Suva 02-11-42

I-170
AP Etolin X-Mas 01-06-42
TK H.M. Storey (D) X-Mas 01-06-42
TK Mobilgas X-Mas 01-06-42

Japanese Losses
I-166 Mine Batavia 12-14-41

Allied Ships Sunk/Damaged---63 Total
CA Louisville
CL Adelaide
DD John Ford
SS S-41
AG 3
ACP 1
CM 1
CMc 1
AO 1
TK 8
AP 13
AK 24
AKL 6

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/11/2012 6:32:10 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 318
Recon Mission - 4/12/2012 6:04:34 PM   
John 3rd

February 23, 1942 sees the KB move into a position to strike at shipping and make Port Attacks against three separate targets in NE Australia. These attacks shall mask the true purpose of the mission which is to perform recon of various possible landing sites and get a feel for the Allied forces deployed here:

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 319
February 22-23, 1942 - 4/12/2012 6:30:22 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
February 22-23, 1942

Am beginning to get a feel for the Aussie forces committed into the battle currently in the NE. Units identified to this point include the 3rd Aust Inf Div, 3rd Brigade, and a TK Reg/Brigade. Want to keep these units occupied for a while.

In the NE the KB plans to make strikes and perform recon of the NE bases. I've always planned on landing at Cairns but what about Bowen? It does have a Sz-1 Port and would make the landing BELOW the forces deployed by Lew in NE Australia. Not sure about this. Will wait for the recon results.

Any thoughts?

North Pacific
No developments.

Central Pacific
No developments.

South Pacific
I now have 4 Inf Div unloading in New Caledonia. The Imperial Guards Brigade begins loading at Noumea to move to Lunga and join the 144th Inf Reg for the NE Aust Landings. An SNLF Assault Brigade begins loading at Noumea as well for a landing at Norfolk Isle. Want to move some Emily down there for excellent air search possibilities.

Leave Horn Isle behind after my two Nvl Guards botch that landing. Can definitely take this base and would like to have it for LR CAP of my future landings. May use the SNLF Brigade hitting Norfolk to move NW and take this base. Have to seen a calculate distance.

Am refueling and rearming a large number of I-Boats and Ro-Boats so they can begin their patrols to interdict shipping around NZ and SE Aust.

Philippines
Loading troops at Bacolod to move north for finishing Philippine resistance.

Java
Take hex 51,103 and move west.

Attack Bandoeng with 4th ID and barely get a 1-2 result. Will try again in a couple of days.

Three bases left and this campaign is finished.

Form-up a TF around wounded Shoho to bring her to Soerabaja. Five DD provide close escort. Two days to get there at 12 knots.

Malaya
Plan an Attack against Singapore tomorrow. All 4 ID are rested and ready. This SHOULD finish Singers!

Burma
Take hex 56,50 east of Prome and drive the two units back from there. Moving on Magwe and Mandalay. EASY! Insane...

NW Australia
Paras grab Daly Waters on the 22nd. They will only hold it a few days but it does serve to agitate the enemy...

Arrive at Katherine to find minimal Inf strength (19th Aust Bn) here. Bomb the crap out of the units in it on the 23rd and will take it tomorrow.

Dedicate an entire Daitai of Betty to pounding the 3rd Aussie ID.

NE Aust
The KB moves into range and does some serious work. The 23rd sees CL Achilles and DD La Triomphant sunk at Townsville. Another set of ships is hit at Cairns where an AP and AK are sunk with one more of each hard hit. As shown in my above Post, tomorrow the CVs move-in and will attack shipping, do Port Strikes in the afternoon, and perform recon throughout the day. Will see what happens. Ran into 17 P-40s in my attack on Townsville and my 28Z covering the strike fairly easily brushed them aside.

China
No major news.

Engineering:
22nd: Kaifeng AF-5, Corunna Downs AF-3, Chengchow AF-3, Luganville AF-2
23rd: Broome Pt-2, Pt. Hedlund Pt-3

Bases Captured:
22nd: Lolobato, 75,129 (Aust), 90,45 (China), Daly Waters, Bacolod
23rd: Russell Isles, 51,103 (Java

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/12/2012 6:31:41 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 320
RE: February 22-23, 1942 - 4/12/2012 7:32:47 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

In the NE the KB plans to make strikes and perform recon of the NE bases. I've always planned on landing at Cairns but what about Bowen? It does have a Sz-1 Port and would make the landing BELOW the forces deployed by Lew in NE Australia. Not sure about this. Will wait for the recon results.

Any thoughts?

I like Rockhampton as it is a transport hub where the rail diverges. No good roads go around it. Also, easy to hit as it's clear, so you should be able to take it quickly. By landing there he also has no idea which way you'll go with your forces. Also, a good field already to use.

A secondary landing at Normanton would complement it, giving a good road into the heart of the NE of OZ.

< Message edited by obvert -- 4/12/2012 7:34:27 PM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 321
Goodness... - 4/13/2012 6:45:35 AM   
John 3rd

February 25, 1942

Wow. I thought she was holed up somewhere in Australia. I was wrong and that is GREAT!

BANZAI! Scored a pair of Torp hits on her and she was smoking before I ever hit her.

What do I do now?

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 322
RE: Goodness... - 4/13/2012 7:46:49 AM   
koniu

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

February 25, 1942

Wow. I thought she was holed up somewhere in Australia. I was wrong and that is GREAT!

BANZAI! Scored a pair of Torp hits on her and she was smoking before I ever hit her.

What do I do now?

BANZAI!

Two torpedoes to damaged US CV 50/50 that he sunk. Do you have any allied CV capable planes ground loses reported that turn. Check it. I he sunk you will have at lest 70 or more.

If he still floating i do not think that Lex will make more that 7 knots so no more than 2 hexes move for tomorrow.. Also he will not be able to launch planes so no CAP. If You have some ships in area try to find Lex and sunk (it should be one shot only). But risk is that there can another US CV in area so LCAP your ships.

Also search that area as much as passable. If your ships not kill then your planes will finish job. An maybe they find some cruiser from escort also

< Message edited by koniu -- 4/13/2012 7:56:58 AM >

"Only the Dead Have Seen the End of War"

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 323
February 24-25, 1942 - 4/13/2012 4:26:12 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
February 24-25, 1942

BIG happenings over these two days!

North Pacific
Nothing major. There are two convoys over at Dutch Harbor. Would love to take a swipe at them but will hold off.

Central Pacific
My little strike force returns from its unsuccessful raid at Christmas. Will let them rest and then take a shot at Pago Pago.

South Pacific
KB Action:
The KB attacks a bunch of differing sites along the NE Aussie seaboard.
1. In a somewhat costly raid, 27 Z, 27 V, and 53 K fight their way through 31 P-40s to attack the port at Townsville. The strike does excellent work in sinking DD Voyager and SS's Purpoise and Stingray. Two US SS: NICE! An AS, 2 AK, PG, and an AMC are also hit. In return for shooting down over a dozen P-40, I lose 7 Zero, 1 Val, and 4 Kate.

2. Port Attack Cairns and Cooktown for no result.

3. Take LOTS of pictures to get an idea of the lay of the land here. Results:
a. Bowen is Pt-1 and has 1 Unit in it.
b. Townsville is Pt/AF-4 and has 7 Units
c. Cairns is Pt/AF-2 with ELEVEN units in it.
d. Cooktown weighs in at Pt/AF-2 with 3 units.

Retire the KB back towards Rabaul after the raid.

Cairns appears to have units that were in PM. Port Moresby did have 11 units in it a week or so ago and it looks like he pulled a few of them (somehow). There are now five present in PM and Cairns appears to be the base that got them. Based on this intel, I think Bowen or Cooktown is the best places for a NE Landing. Rockhampton was suggested above but I think that is too far south for what I want to accomplish. Any thoughts here would be beneficial.

Lady Lex
I am STUNNED on the 25th when Lady Lex makes an appearance east of Noumea! Looks like Lew REALLY wanted those transports. NOT! He just misses a convoy moving north with Imperial Guards moving to Lunga and the TF carrying an SNLF Brigade to Norfolk Isle. ACTION!

AM: The morning is tough. The Japanese launch the first strike of 13 Zero and 14 Betty. They fight through 12 Buffalo. BUFFALO?!! Wow. He hasn't upgraded them? CRAZY! OK. In return for 1 Zero and a single Betty the Japanese score a DUD on Lexington. CRAP. Fighters shotdown 5 Buffalo. Lex's strike comes in with 8 Buf, 14 SBD, 16 Vindicators. They are opposed by 14 Zero. My fighters do quite well in shooting down 7 enemy fighters and 5 DB. BB Hyuga takes 3 1,000lb bombs.

PM: Better second phase. This time 11 Zero and 11 Betty fight their way through just 5 Buffalo. The first 7 Betty drop and miss the nimble Lex. The last group of 4 score TWO TT hits! Excellent. The CV was already smoking some from high SYS Damage (I suppose) so these two hits could be pretty serious. Lex's afternoon response is just 2 Buf and 22 DB. They hit Hyuga two more times but are cut to pieces by my CAP. The Zeros nail 1 Buf and 11 DB! Very pleasant to watch. Hyuga ends the day with 21 SYS Damage (all minor) and served as a fine target.

I have two I-Boats around Suva and they take up interception patrols. Sortie four more out of Noumea.

Fly in another Chutai of Betty and a full Daitai of Zero to Noumea. Set for MAX Range strikes. Lex attacked from a range of 6 so it must move at least 8 hexes to reach the edge of Zero range. Order 36 Mavis and Emily to search from due south of Noumea (in case he makes for NZ) to slightly north of Suva. We'll see what happens here tomorrow...

Norfolk Isle Land here on the 25th and the base is undefended. Just in case anything appears here I order the TF to move NW away from the island.

Philippines
No major developments.

Java
21st Brigade takes Kalidjati on the 24th.

Two bases left and then the Java Campaign is finished.

CVL Shoho will make it to Soerabaja tomorrow.

The Christmas Isle IF is about to land there. Once I have that base then they will make a serious attempt at Cocos.

Malaya
SINGAPORE FALLS on the 24th! BANZAI! A 2-1 attack results in 28,186 POWs from 25 units. NICE! DMS move in immediately to begin Sweeping Operations. Two Inf Div will be pulled from here and sent to New Caledonia to finish the build-up for the main move in Australia. One ID will move up to Burma and the 4th will aid the Perth Operation.

Burma
NUTS! Take Bassein and Mandalay. Moving in on Magwe. Will grab it then wait until I can bring in my other TK Reg and Inf Reg before moving north to Swebo and Myitkina.

Australia
Katherine FALLS to my SNLF Brigade on the 24th. My two TK Reg force the 3rd Aussie Brig to retreat towards Daly Waters. My Paras still hold that base. The 54 Sally and 27 Betty working this area are plastering Aussie troops. The bases at Corunna and Pt Hedlund are really building up and this is positive news.

China
Cannot take Wenchow on the coast. Attack for the 3rd or 4th time and get a 1-4 result. Think I need to pound this place with airpower and maybe bombard it from the sea then try again. Perhaps I could use some 18.1" guns???

Have started driving troops out of the back hexes of China.

Hong Kong CV Soryu arrives and immediately moves into Drydock for repairs. YES!

SS Operations
I-175 sinks AKL Kooyong near Newcastle

Engineering
Langsa, SUM AF-2
Pt Hedlund, Aust AF-2
Madang, NG AF-4

Reinforcements
Am getting a steady stream of reinforcements right now. Got two Garrison units that will move to Manila and Soerabaja to help there. Have some of the new RA units about to come in and will Post Screenshots of them when I have them.

SUMMARY
Singapore FALLS! Makes things so much easier for the big operations.

Lexington: HMMMMMMM...YUMMY...can we bag her? Boy I hope so. Be nice to know I only am facing up to two CVs in the South Pacific. Enterprise was seen just a little less then a month ago near Cocos. We know Saratoga is up north in the Aleutians. Where is Yorktown?

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/13/2012 4:27:55 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to koniu)
Post #: 324
RE: February 24-25, 1942 - 4/13/2012 5:20:14 PM   
ny59giants

I'm amazed that Lew continues to use his limited number of CVs alone. At this point in time, I would feel a little better having at least 2 groups of 2 CVs operating together (either in 2 TF or 1 TF).

Subs - Do you have any patrolling both sides of NZ, South Island?? If I was Lew, I would have TFs bound for Oz going this far south to avoid attacks.

Perth Area - I would aim for 15th March to invade Geraldton to put pressure here.

Cooktown, Cairns, or Townsville - If you invade at Cooktown, then you will have to march over just trails in terrain that benefits the defender and allow him time to react. I would go for Cairns and add another division to attack, if possible. Remember, that of the 5 Aussie divisions here, they all have poor experience levels so they will not get 100% AV.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 325
RE: February 24-25, 1942 - 4/13/2012 5:26:22 PM   
John 3rd

Yaa...the 3rd ID is accounted for above Daly Waters.

Just gave the orders for 8 more SS to join the 5 on patrol around NZ. Perhaps heavy SS work around there would make him think NZ is the target? Makes sense with my obvious build-up that he has noticed at New Caledonia. Maybe I can reinforce that notion.

The 15th is the target date for Geraldton. Looks to be fairly accurate with Singapore going last turn and Java in the final phases. Figure a minimum 2 ID landing there to start with. I shall give time to March 1st to finish things up in Java. SHOULD be possible but we'll have to see.

Grabbing Christmas and then Cocos will certainly make life more difficult in running convoys through so that should help...

Risking a single CV that already has significant SYS Dam (at the least) is rather DANGEROUS. I was expecting her to be joined by at least one more CV and was pretty nervous about that. Luckily it wasn't so...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 326
"Scratch One FLATTOP!" - 4/15/2012 12:06:27 AM   
John 3rd

February 27, 1942

The crippled USS Lexington limps east towards Suva. She managed to avoid Japanese planes on the 26th due to weather. Not so on the 27th. Limping along, haven taken a TT and an Ammi Storage Explosion six weeks ago and then two more TTs on the 25th, the sailors are sad to see the clouds and bad weather gone. Japanese search planes fan out and quickly spot the cripple.

A small strike of 6 Zero and 5 Betty depart Noumea and easily fight their way through 2 Buffalo fighters. One Betty attacks from the Port side and the other four come in on the starboard. A few AA guns bark their defiance at the rapidly closing planes. The Port side attack nets a Torpedo hit and the Starboard side adds two more from that angle. In plain sight of the flyers, the Lady Lexington lists sharply to Starboard and slips beneath the waves...

'SCRATCH ONE FLATTOP!"

BANZAI!

One down and six to go...

For next to no cost, the Empire claims a fleet carrier.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/15/2012 12:08:57 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 327
Operation Cherry Blossom - 4/16/2012 4:59:07 PM   
John 3rd

Operational Orders
Operation Cherry Blossom

It is March 1942. This means the Invasion Bonus runs out in less then a month. It is time for the Invasion Australia: Operation Cherry Blossom. Things are in as good of shape as I could imagine so this is IT! Has anyone taken Australia? We are about to find out if I can.

The PLAN

1. NW Australia: The battle now taking place in NW Australia is perfect. For minimal resources (1 SNLF Brigade and 3 TK Reg) the Japanese have decimated an Aussie Brigade (3rd) and are currently pounding by air the 3rd and 4th Australia Inf DIv. The commitment of two Inf Div up is marvelous. Will do nothing to upset the situation here until the full scale invasion has begun.

2. Preliminaries:
Landings shall take place at Exmouth, Carnarvon, and Lord Howe Island. This bases shall allow Recon and Air Search assets to be moved into place as well as serve as spring boards for Paratroopers. Operations to take these places are currently underway.

3. Nibbling at the edges:
a. NE Australia shall be invaded about the 20th of March by the 3rd and 13th ID supported by the Imperial Guards Brigade and 144th Inf Reg. They shall quite probably land at Cooktown. Once established they shall drive south and threaten Townsville, Charter Towers, etc...
b. Western Australia will get the attention of the 2nd, 4th, and 16th ID landing at Geraldton about the same time (3-20). These units (in conjunction with Paras operating from Corunna Downs) will take Perth and drive east from there. It is HOPED to get a massed surrender somewhere east of Perth. The airborne troops (the two Army Raiding Regiments plus the 90th Inf Reg) will take Kalgoorlie and HOLD it until relieved.

4. The MAIN EVENT:
Landing about 27-28th will be the Assault Force. Twin Landings shall occur above and below Sydney. Newcastle gets the 21st, 38th, and 56th ID while Port Kembla has the 18th, 33rd, 48th ID. The bases shall be secured ASAP while my SNLF Assallt Brigade of Paratroopers (flying in from Lord Howe Island) will cutoff reinforcements by landing at Bathurst. The entire 9th Air Fleet will land with the troops to support nearly 400 aircraft that will fly in for support and aircover. A minimum of 4 ID will advance on and--hopefully--take Sydney.

If successful, Australia shall then be mopped up by the four major forces and the final drive on Brisbane shall occur at that point.

This is the PLAN. Comments?

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/16/2012 5:01:06 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 328
Feb 26-Mar 1st: One Down and SIX to GO! - 4/16/2012 5:37:55 PM   
John 3rd

Combat Report
February 27-Mar 1st

Operation Cherry Blossom is detailed above so you KNOW the pressures I am now under to get the pieces IN PLACE and READY to go. This will be a close-run thing to have everything ready by the dates listed above. Things look as good as can be expected but ANYTHING can derail this plan and I am highly conscious of that. Sinking the Lexington is a HUGE bonus to the planning stage of this and so this is/was fantastic news.

North Pacific
Lots of Allied activity around Dutch Harbor. I detail Floatplanes to do specific recon of Umnak and Dutch Harbor. We can now land without the Arctic weather being horrific so I am preparing to form-up the Karafuto Brigade to land at Umnak. AKs will also load to bring supply to all my garrisons. This flurry of activity SHOULD serve to draw out the Saratoga and we shall SINK her!

Central Pacific
Not a lot of anything here.

South Pacific
Lexington's DEATH
I've detailed the action here already but we'll do a recap (just because it ROCKS!). The Lexington arrives east of Noumea to attack my AKs/APs and does manage to damage BB Hyuga but, in return, takes a pair of TTs. The CV--seemingly--gets away on the 26th when a Daitai of my Betty impale themselves on Suva's MASSIVE CAP (nearly 60 fighters with a 50-50 split of Army and Navy planes). I am shocked to find Lexington on the 27th. Two more TTs SINK the CV and losses amount to 4 Fighters and 28 SBD when she sinks. Nice. BANZAI!

Noumea
Suva is now Lew's major base to my east. He has mined it, has bunches of Fighters there as well as some 4EB. Small numbers of B-17 and B-24 raid Noumea everyday and they are ineffectively shot at my two Daitai of Zeros operating from there.

Norfolk Isle
The island falls on the 26th and I immediately begin loading the SNLF Assault Brigade to head for Lord Howe. The STF Covering the Invasion Force includes a BB so it is fairly stout. Won't take Lord howe for at least a week or so but need to build that AF up so I can stage aircraft and troop transports through it.

KB
The 4 CVs of the KB sorties after 4 days in port at Rabaul. They have lessoned SYS Damage, full air groups, and plenty of fuel to operate with. Dispatch them due south heading for the waters between NZ and Australia. They'll also cover the Lord Howe Landing from a distance.

SS
The Japanese surge 18 I-Boats and Ro-Class SS into the waters around Suva, NZ, and southern Australia. These SS join-up with the dozen or so already on patrol. This is A LOT of subs...

Philippines
Am about to end resistance in the Central Philippines. The 65th Inf Brigade will then load and head for Darwin (if I've taken it at that point).

Java
Grrrr...this is taking longer then I want. My Perth Operation hangs on Java. Troops will enter the final southern coast base tomorrow and I shall then take it the next day. Resistance continues at Bandoeng but that should end pretty quickly once the 21st Inf Birg reinforces the 4th ID presently in the hex. Have until the 10th the get this done. The APs/AKs are currently waiting in Soerabaja to load these boys to send south.

The fall of Christmas Isle set up the invasion of Cocos. Two BB protect the Invasion Force and Hiryu--Ryujo sail out to bag any shipping nearby.

Malaya
Singapore's mines are cleared by the 1st and LOTS of fast APs will arrive tomorrow to load the 18th and 21st ID for transport to New Caledonia.

Burma
CRAZY! Now have everything south of Swebo. Added a 3rd TK Brigade Regiment to the OOB here and they will soon advance on Swebo and move north towards Myitkyina. Aircraft moving in the create an aerial buffer here. When I take Magwe, I gain my last Oil Field and it is completely undamaged. How about that?

Australia
Capture Fenton on the 1st. Troops from Katherine have been forced to retreat each hex from Katherine BACK towards Darwin. There are 3 units at Darwin and 1 is a CD unit. My SNLF will probably NOT be enough to grab it. I will RR two Tk Reg from katherine to Fenton and they will then drive over to help finish it.

China
Stalemate across the board for the moment.

Bases Taken:
27th: Kirakira, Christmas IO, 49,99 (Java), 36,49 (Burma)
28th Ferguson Isle, Stewart Isles, Magwe (Burma)
1st: Ontong Java Atoll, Sansapor, Pucheng (China), 76,130 (Aust), and Fenton (Aust)

Engineering:
27th: Sapporo Pt-7, Milne Bay Pt-1

Reinforcements:
26th: CVL Nisshin
28th: BB Yamato and I-27

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 4/16/2012 5:41:57 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 329
RE: Feb 26-Mar 1st: One Down and SIX to GO! - 4/16/2012 8:50:14 PM   
obvert

You're going VERY fast. Looks like you're on schedule. Good work with the Lex!

The plan looks great. One question. Is the landing so far North in the E meant to draw forces farther up there? It seems if it were me that I would just hunker down in the places that mattered and realize I couldn't really stop you up there. That's why I liked Rockhampton. It makes him think you're trying to cut off the north, and maybe threaten Brisbane, forcing a reinforcement there.

It'll probably work either way with the amount of stuff you're bringing. Aussie troops are still militia driving Matildas, so that should make it easier as well.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Feb 7-8, 1942 Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI