Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 3

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 3 Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 3 - 8/25/2012 6:32:49 PM   
John 3rd

Time to open a can of WHOOPASS!

or another quote that I like

"I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum and I am all out of bubblegum!"

Have to admit to a slight degree of caution since my CVs are separated. I brought them closer to Sumatra in case I take some damage. IF I had all eight together my move might have been to get behind him and attack. Ahhhh....well...

Cocos still moves forward. My 4 ID are passing 70% Prep so that is great.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 721
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 3 - 8/25/2012 9:27:57 PM   
zuluhour

Thanks for presenting this in detail. I'd rather see the next turn here than open mine!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 722
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 3 - 8/26/2012 9:34:29 AM   
MrBlizzard

I'm on holiday, this exciting story is much better than the books I took with me! I'm looking forward for reading the next chapter of this battle!!
tanxx and BANZAIII

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 723
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 3 - 8/26/2012 11:09:52 PM   
John 3rd

Slight delay in turns as the family and I are in Gould, CO again for a final weekend of camping and enjoying the mountains before the snow flies. The Aspen are already turning up here (9,500 Ft) so Fall is--thankfully--on the way!

I concur with Zulu and Mr. B. REALLY want to watch the next turn! I lessened my CAP over bases so I can free up the maximum amount of fighters to wear down his CAP.

Want to make prediction here. If Lew was operating rationally he now knows that there are carriers coming down on his left flank and a lot of LBA directly to his front and right. I would back off of Benkoelen and see what happens. This is what I would do. My prediction is he will double down again and try to get his base force TF's ashore in the next day or two so he can also land his plane squadrons. That his ships are carrying planes goes without question so that is what I think he will do. To do THAT he will leave his BBs exposed to my attacks at Benkoelen. They MUST remain to protect his vulnerable AKs-APs. I want them! The carriers--I bet--will move back a bit. This could be OK if he does so because then I can combine the CV TF and be nearly immune to his attacks.

My prediction...

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 8/26/2012 11:11:56 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to MrBlizzard)
Post #: 724
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 3 - 8/27/2012 3:54:32 AM   
Cribtop

Mr. T, what is your prediction for the fight?

PAIN!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 725
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 3 - 8/27/2012 12:30:50 PM   
zuluhour

Damn it man! Come down from the mountain and talk to us.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 726
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 3 - 8/27/2012 12:41:03 PM   
ny59giants

John's family idea of "camping" and mine differ. His is away from home in a cabin with water, electricity, and internet access.

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 727
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 3 - 8/27/2012 3:15:58 PM   
John 3rd

At LEAST I can get the wife to GO to the cabin! Yes: It is not roughing it like Dan and his family but at least we get out. Spent 33 years in Boy Scouts, staffed at Ben Delatour Scout Ranch for 11 years, went to Philmont twice, National Jamboree, and NOAC. Guess I got all my camping in with the troops and Explorer Posts back then...

This trip saw 2 beautiful Bald Eagles, a Bull Moose, several cow elk, a fox, several woodpeckers, and a pair of wild eight and six-year old boys!

Just checked email and saw no turn waiting for me from Lew. CRAP. Wrote him a nice--I'll be home in a while email.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 728
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 3 - 8/27/2012 6:28:52 PM   
Cribtop

Mrs. Cribtop is the same as John's wife. Happy to hike 14 miles a day, but expects a hot shower, a blow dryer and a restaurant dinner that night.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 729
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 3 - 8/27/2012 7:17:42 PM   
zuluhour

Make it 2 miles and I'm in the same boat...errr shoes.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 730
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 3 - 8/27/2012 7:48:52 PM   
MAurelius

WHAT????? - WE WANT TO READ ABOUT THE NEXT TURN - GET SATELLITE-Internet or whatever - have someone beam the PC to your cabin.... NOW!!!!!!!! :D

formerly known as SoliInvictus202

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 731
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 3 - 8/28/2012 5:44:57 AM   
John 3rd

I CAN'T Post results of a turn if I DON'T HAVE IT waiting for me!

No turn in my box...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to MAurelius)
Post #: 732
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 3 - 8/28/2012 6:42:09 AM   
MrBlizzard

Seems like the temperature among your fanclub is getting higher and higher
maybe we can collect signs for a petition to send to PyH to speed the turn
I'm afraid that your opponent become petrified after seeing the turn and so we'll never get the reply

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 733
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 3 - 8/28/2012 3:22:57 PM   
John 3rd

Made me laugh Sir!

Try to imagine....that.........I.............am.................endlessly........................waiting...............................for.............................................the......................................................turn.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to MrBlizzard)
Post #: 734
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 3 - 8/28/2012 11:59:59 PM   
Cribtop

ARGGHHHGGHH!!!!!!!!!

He is indeed probably staring at the screen thinking "how the heck did I get into this mess?" and "is there any possible way out?"

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 735
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 3 - 8/29/2012 3:12:06 AM   
zuluhour

Maybe he has a little Hemmingway in him and set off for a bar........................in Bimini.

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 736
Battle off Enggano--Day 4 - 8/29/2012 7:42:59 AM   
John 3rd

May 30, 1942

FINALLY got the turn and ran it.

Watched as 17 (WOW!) Japanese air attacks hit the Allied Fleet at or near Benkoelen. Don't have time for the full report but I shall say that you may scratch from the Allied Book the following Capital Ships: BB Royal Sovereign, BB Revenge, and BC Repulse! Prince of Wales may also be sunk (not confirmed visually). Thirteen additional ships are sunk with a further 2 CL (Ceres and Dauntless) and 14 more ships damaged and possibly sinking. Over 7,000 Allied troops drown from ships sunk approaching Benkoelen!

NO CARRIER FIGHT. Confirmed Allied Carriers present for battle are USS Yorktown and Hornet as well as HMS Illustrious and Formidable. You could have added CV Indomitable had my I-Boat not bagged her near Cocos.

All Japanese CVs to unite next turn with battlewagons.

Details in the morning but here is a delightful screenshot:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 8/29/2012 7:45:35 AM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 737
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 4 - 8/29/2012 9:18:08 AM   
wege80

Well no suprise ... the allied forces get destroyed piece by piece!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 738
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 4 - 8/29/2012 11:56:09 AM   
zuluhour

So far so good Admiral! You got him in a pressure cooker, can you finish him? The emperor will sleep easy tonight.

(in reply to wege80)
Post #: 739
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 4 - 8/30/2012 9:20:57 AM   
MrBlizzard

The Allies have been crushed!!!
Their capability for a re
action seems very doubful for at least next 1 year and half...
do you think that PjH will soon ask for a surrender or he will stand up the fight 'till the nuking of LA?

< Message edited by MrBlizzard -- 8/30/2012 9:27:29 AM >

(in reply to zuluhour)
Post #: 740
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 4 - 8/30/2012 1:43:00 PM   
aztez

Your opponent is way over his head on this one... odd decisions and to be honest don't think he will ever make an comeback even in later years.

(in reply to MrBlizzard)
Post #: 741
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 4 - 8/31/2012 7:15:54 AM   
John 3rd

Getting stranger...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to aztez)
Post #: 742
Battle off Enggano--Day 5 - 8/31/2012 7:38:05 AM   
John 3rd

May 31, 1942
Battle off Enggano--Day 5

Just don't know how to describe watching these turns. Another excellent day for the Japanese:

My little STF of CL Sendai and 2 DD encounter picket DD USS Balch and sink her during the night.

Morning Air Patrol shows that the Allied CV TF CLOSES the range and positions itself a few hexes from Sumatra. Distance is just far enough away from the Japanese Carriers not to invoke the reaction move. Too BAD! I had it set for the full 6 hexes but they were at about 9.

GOOD NEWS: The Japanese unify their Carriers in the morning and four TF settle into their cruising disposition with mighty Yamato leading SIX Battlewagons. Five CVs and 3 CVL commence daily operations along with 4 BC and 6 CA. Nearly 30 DD scurry around their larger charges. The BAD NEWS is that weather is terrible in the morning so no strikes fly from the CVs for the early air phase.

This is OK because EVERYTHING else flies and goes after Allied shipping in and around Benkoelen. A total of 11 strikes fly and they sink an AP and damage another 19 vessels. Major targets hit include BBs New Mexico and Idaho, CL's Hobart and Emerald as well as DDs Pakenham and Morris. There are troops casualties listed with nearly every strike.

The afternoon sees the Carriers throw their full weight into the attack. The result is a massacre. Nine ships are sunk (DD Foxhound, a large AMC, an AKV (with a Wellington Squadron on board!), 3 large AP, and 3 AK) with another 12 damaged (CL Dauntless, BB Ramilles). The key part of these strikes is the masses of troops killed on the sinking and damaged ships. Nearly 6,000 men are massacred while trying to get to the deathtrap that Benkoelen shall be.

The Allied CVs make their presence felt by throwing two strikes causing the first Japanese casualties of this very lopsided battle. CL Sendai finds itself and 2 DDs only 60 miles from the carriers so they get struck by 15 Fighters, 17 SBD, and 35 TB. Sendai takes 3 Bombs and each DD gets tagged with a single bomb. Pretty lousy results. All three ships look OK and are ordered to Oosthaven. The second strike is important. I have dangled a couple of AK at Padang while basing one of my best Oscar Sentai there. The Allies attack and my 32 fighters jump 8 Wildcats, 16 SBD, and 6 Albacore. Excellent results are achieved with the Allies losing 7 Fighters, 6 SBD, and all the TB. NICE!

Decisions:
1. My CVs are together and I still have a good load of Torpedos. Time to attack. Order Nagumo and Yamaguchi to move due north and try to engage the Allied CVs. The 8 CVs carry 450+ Planes with solid pilots. CAP is between 60-70%. Any strikes that come in shall be destroyed. If he moves away then the CVs are still positioned to hit Benkoelen as a fallback.

2. It is time to commit the BBs. Order Tanaka and Komatsu to bust up the shipping at Benkoelen. A total of 6 BBs, 4 CLs, and 14 DDs will attack tomorrow night and then head for Oosthaven. It should be delightfully BLOODY!

3. Michael may be right that he wants Palembang. Some armor is present and it moves into the hex east of Benkoelen. Order my 3 Sentai of Sally--Lily to concentrate on troops and the Port. Bring up 60+ Lily to Soerabaja and prepare to add them to the land side of the battle.

4. Shall begin loading 2/3 of the Imperial Guards ID at Port Blair and all of the 33rd ID at Rangoon to go to Palembang. Another Brigade and Regiment are already on the way. Should be enough to hold for the moment...

Allied Strike:

Attachment (1)

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 743
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 5 - 8/31/2012 4:35:14 PM   
John 3rd

Was going back through the turn replay and saw that at least 15-18 of those damaged ships took torpedo hits. Many of them are doomed from the hits. I am sure Lew will disband some into Benkoelen's Sz-1 Port and so a full Sentai of Sally were ordered to hit the Port. Since the three New Mexico BBs pulled away from the base, I feel absolutely confident my BBs can wade into the anchorage without much fear of taking serious damage. TTs are always a worry but I am so close to my home Ports this should not be an issue.

Planning ahead:
1. I have 3 AKE heading towards the tip of Sumatra so I can replennish my Torps on the CVs.
2. Fuel is a concern but shouldn't be too bad for at least 5-7 days.
3. Picked up an Air Flotilla in Koepang and an Air Division at Darwin to land and support aircraft at Oosthaven and Palembang.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 744
RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 5 - 8/31/2012 4:47:36 PM   
JocMeister

I just caught up with your AAR! Well played and very entertaining AAR!

But this Benkoelen invasion in May 42!? Nuts!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 745
New Possibilities - 8/31/2012 5:36:49 PM   
John 3rd

Just got off the phone with my most senior and trusted Miltary--Economic Advisor (Mr. Benoit) and he suggests a fairly demented and crazy possibility. Use this opportunity to crush the Allied Fleet, take Cocos, destroy the troops at Benkoelen and then INVADE CEYLON. This thought massively APPEALS to me. One can see all the units he landed comprising a large amount of his mobile infantry. There are additionally two ID on Cocos that shall be eliminated when that location is retaken. The Line Islands Operation was decided upon so that a Fleet Action might be forced. This is no longer needed because the fight is HERE. The 4 ID dedicated to Line Islands can shift their prep to Ceylon tomorrow...

Potentially we could seriously examine the possibilities of invading Ceylon, Addu, etc... in a FALL 1942 Campaign.

How 'bout that??!!

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to JocMeister)
Post #: 746
RE: New Possibilities - 8/31/2012 5:53:51 PM   
janh

After your last post I thought of suggesting something more daring such as Ceylon as well, yet for a different reason. Lew is obviously trying to push things to the limit, maybe see what an Allied player can achieve with some luck, or rather not. That's the only way I understand this bold venture of his. I am a bit worried that he might fold the cards if this goes as bad as it would seem it will -- i.e. if he loses a couple of CV now as well. So I think it would keep the game going and make it even more interesting to try something almost as bold as his actions now.

Anything goes as long as KB stays intact. Ceylon is a valuable target, a good choice. Yet I would not cancel the Line Islands Ops for that target. The latter will help to protect your gains in OZ by lengthting his route to NZ, allow some raiding, and quite certainly will also protect CentPac against amphibious operations. There will be more CV clashes to come, and PzB has shown twice how dangerous it is for an Allied fleet to clash around the LI. It think it will pay off better than Ceylon in the long run.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 747
RE: New Possibilities - 8/31/2012 6:25:33 PM   
John 3rd

Janh: I will ponder that thinking. It is well thought out and--perhaps--Line Islands should stay. We have the day (prior to Lew's turn coming tonight) to decide. Only have so many Inf Div to use. Got to say though that the XP level of my Aussie IDs is FANTASTIC. There are 11-12 ID and Brigades with experience well into the high-70s---80s--and two in 90s. GREAT!

As to Lew folding up and quitting I doubt if that will happen. In our prior campaign I sank nearly the entire Allied CV Fleet in a wild IO Battle and he stayed in until 1943 when we shifted to the updated RA.

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 8/31/2012 7:22:04 PM >

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 748
RE: New Possibilities - 8/31/2012 8:55:48 PM   
wsoxfan

Victory Disease Much?
But seriously, I count 6 BB/BC sunk or very heavily damaged, and another 3 BB damaged. And if he's going for a CV engagement then he's screwed. He should have just pulled out after the element of surprise was lost(The Resolution Heavily Damaged and the Roval Soverign sunk). If you can get a CV engagement, then Ceylon(and the game) is yours.

EDIT: I've been wondering-why have his CVs not been giving CAP for his Battleships? That on it's own would be enough to hold against LBA(but not LBA and the KB)

< Message edited by wsoxfan -- 8/31/2012 9:01:01 PM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 749
RE: New Possibilities - 8/31/2012 9:10:49 PM   
John 3rd

Victory Disease? YES! Got Australia, will destroy this offensive, and then move onto the attack by Fall. It shall be crazy!

As to LRCAP. Don't know. I have now managed to attrit his fighters by about 25 or so as well as take down about 18-20 of his DB-TB. He is weakening and the time is NOW to strike.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to wsoxfan)
Post #: 750
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Battle off Enggano--Day 3 Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI