Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Wasp Air Group

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Wasp Air Group Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Wasp Air Group - 1/16/2012 11:52:57 AM   
spence

(I thought I saw this topic before but the search function proved to be no help)

The USS Wasp was smaller than the Yorktown class and carried a slightly smaller air group before it was sunk. It seems in the Jan-March time frame when all the US CV air groups are up-grading the Wasp's air group gets bigger...in fact potentially so big that the ship can no longer conduct flight ops (90 a/c).

Some a/c are designated as in reserve which may hold the air group down to 83 (ready a/c) but at the moment I am unsure as to whether the ship should put to sea. In that the F6F was a larger airplane than the F4F anyways it really doesn't make much sense that this number of aircraft should find a home on Wasp.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Wasp Air Group - 1/16/2012 12:29:26 PM   
Terminus

See if it were me, I'd just go with what the data says, i.e. she's overloaded but not sufficiently to prevent flight ops. Reserve aircraft don't count.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 2
RE: Wasp Air Group - 1/16/2012 12:48:45 PM   
michaelm75au

Ships can have up to 110% of their capacity and still perform Air Ops - the orange value indicates this.
The 10% variant is to deal with the case where changing of group size can exceed the normal capacity of the ship.

Also thought that the groups might re-size if over-stacked.[Don't have code open but do remember something about offloading excess a/c.]

Michael

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 3
RE: Wasp Air Group - 1/16/2012 4:05:50 PM   
dr.hal

Does the Wasp or its squadrons have a button that says "resize to fit ship"??? I've seen that many times on other carriers.

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 4
RE: Wasp Air Group - 1/16/2012 4:15:37 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Does the Wasp or its squadrons have a button that says "resize to fit ship"??? I've seen that many times on other carriers.

Yes, all naval and marine squadrons have this feature. Even carrier capable marine squadrons.

For the original poster. I am operating Wasp in 1944 with the fully expanded squadrons. You have nothing to worry about. Let them expand.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 5
RE: Wasp Air Group - 1/16/2012 5:07:01 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

Ships can have up to 110% of their capacity and still perform Air Ops - the orange value indicates this.
The 10% variant is to deal with the case where changing of group size can exceed the normal capacity of the ship.

Also thought that the groups might re-size if over-stacked.[Don't have code open but do remember something about offloading excess a/c.]

ya know, most of us have been operating under that belief and lo and behold our resident rules lawyer Alfred posted a quote from the manual recently in another thread stating it was 15%

Hans

Post #: 6
RE: Wasp Air Group - 1/16/2012 6:25:53 PM   
Gridley380

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

ya know, most of us have been operating under that belief and lo and behold our resident rules lawyer Alfred posted a quote from the manual recently in another thread stating it was 15%

And 115% allows an Essex-class to operate a historical late-war group (110% does not).

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 7
RE: Wasp Air Group - 1/17/2012 8:46:39 AM   
michaelm75au

You're correct.
I fell for that again.

Planes can't divert to CVs with more than 110% capacity. It was also 110% in old WITP to operate planes normally, IIRC.

The 115% was added because of the difference between ship capacity and actual number of planes in some operational groups, like the late game USN CV groups.
This was a compromise between keeping late-war realistic group sizes and ship capacity.

Anyway of dealing with this, which is probably more realistic, would have been to give aircraft an 'on-ship factor'. By this I mean a plane that had folding wing could be packed more than a fixed wing plane. So if we said a fixed wing plane had a factor of '1', then the folding wing one might have a factor of '.7'. So a 18 plane group on a CV might take up 18 slots of the ship's a/c capacity if fixed wing, but only 12.5 if with a folding wing. That way the capacity could be a more finite limit without trying temporarily inflate the number, and probably could eliminated trying to use 'engines' to count the planes on a ship.
I suppose you could also expand this to cover land-base groups, and call it the 'stacking rather than on-ship factor' instead.

Michael

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 8
RE: Wasp Air Group - 1/18/2012 1:42:26 AM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

You're correct.
I fell for that again.

Planes can't divert to CVs with more than 110% capacity. It was also 110% in old WITP to operate planes normally, IIRC.

The 115% was added because of the difference between ship capacity and actual number of planes in some operational groups, like the late game USN CV groups.
This was a compromise between keeping late-war realistic group sizes and ship capacity.

Anyway of dealing with this, which is probably more realistic, would have been to give aircraft an 'on-ship factor'. By this I mean a plane that had folding wing could be packed more than a fixed wing plane. So if we said a fixed wing plane had a factor of '1', then the folding wing one might have a factor of '.7'. So a 18 plane group on a CV might take up 18 slots of the ship's a/c capacity if fixed wing, but only 12.5 if with a folding wing. That way the capacity could be a more finite limit without trying temporarily inflate the number, and probably could eliminated trying to use 'engines' to count the planes on a ship.
I suppose you could also expand this to cover land-base groups, and call it the 'stacking rather than on-ship factor' instead.

Which is one reaon why the SBC2 was a good upgrade for the USN even if only of equal (or perhaps lower) capability to the SBD. The SBD's wings don't fold and actually took up more space in the hanger than the much larger TBF.

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

Post #: 9
RE: Wasp Air Group - 4/2/2016 5:45:01 AM   
agm

I'm in March 44, and the Wasp Air Groups appear to be frozen. They never fly despite orders to do so. They are somewhat larger than the CV's capacity. After reading this thread, I am still having troubles and cannot find the magic button that supposedly will re-size the air groups. Any help appreciated.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 10
RE: Wasp Air Group - 4/2/2016 8:39:18 AM   
Alfred

Screenshot please of the Wasp ship information screen.

Alfred

(in reply to agm)
Post #: 11
RE: Wasp Air Group - 4/2/2016 10:56:29 AM   
Itdepends

The magic button is available from the squadron screen, not the ship screen. Top left from memory. You can hit the resize button multiple times to cycle through options. If the ship is so overloaded that it cant perform flight ops the number of planes on the ship screen will be red.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 12
RE: Wasp Air Group - 4/2/2016 2:47:22 PM   
btd64

As Alfred said, post a screen shot. Also, as far as resizing goes you have to have the CV in port to resize. You canset it up, but the action wouldn't happen until you are in port. But post the screen shot. A picture is worth a thousand words....GP

< Message edited by General Patton -- 4/2/2016 2:51:48 PM >

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to Itdepends)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Wasp Air Group Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI