Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 2/1/2012 10:14:40 PM   
parusski

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

Pop quiz:

The 1885 version featured an additional word alongside Peanut Brittle.

But what was it, and what was the definition used.

Darn, my 1885 edition can't be opened, all the pages are stuck together with a brown substance mixed with peanuts.
Warspite1

Aha! In order to boost sales of the 1885 version (bearing in mind the disappointing debut containing just one word) the publishers did two things;

a) they increased the wordage by 100% i.e. they added a second word
b) they gave every purchaser a free gift - a slab of Peanut Brittle.

Looks like your slab was never taken out of the book and it has subsequently melted...

Unlucky Steiner because had it not melted and been in mint condition, the book would have been worth $4.3m (based on what I auctioned my version for last week at Christies).

AAAHH, that is one amazing post. Since we share a great love and knowledge of PB any chance you will buy me a 12th anniversary gift on May 9, 2012?
Warspite1

What sort of gift? What is the 12th anniversary? It's not an expensive one is it? Paper? cotton?

Uuhhh, the gift would be all the Matrix games I do not own, that's only 5 games.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 151
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 2/3/2012 12:54:41 AM   
warspite1

Just thought I'd mention that there has only been one inanimate object ever to win an Oscar academy award.

In the 1986 film Cocoon the best supporting actor was to have gone to Don Ameche, however this was not to be the case.

In a scandalous case of product placement, Acme PB Incorporated (major shareholder Stephen Ambrose) decided to put its product in every scene possible; with dire consequences for Ameche.

Wailed Ameche, "I just can't live with this competition. This bar of PB is a genius."

Ameche was favourite for the prize but the Peanut brittle simply stole every scene it was in. "

"A moody, magnificent presence" wote one critic, "how to get your point of view across without saying anything" was another.

And true enough the peanut brittle walked off with the best supporting actor role.

Not a lot of people know that.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 152
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 2/3/2012 1:10:14 AM   
parusski

quote:

Just thought I'd mention that there has only been one inanimate object ever to win an Oscar academy award.

In the 1986 film Cocoon the best supporting actor was to have gone to Don Ameche, however this was not to be the case.

In a scandalous case of product placement, Acme PB Incorporated (major shareholder Stephen Ambrose) decided to put its product in every scene possible; with dire consequences for Ameche.

Wailed Ameche, "I just can't live with this competition. This bar of PB is a genius."

Ameche was favourite for the prize but the Peanut brittle simply stole every scene it was in. "

"A moody, magnificent presence" wote one critic, "how to get your point of view across without saying anything" was another.

And true enough the peanut brittle walked off with the best supporting actor role.

Not a lot of people know that.

No, I really do not think many people know that. When I started this thread I wanted to edukate the world on the amazing history, present and future of PB. And warspite1, you have 5 gold stars by your name for helping.

Oh, I have heard an Ambrose manuscript has been found about PB(no other details) and a ghost writer is needed. You should apply for that gig.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 153
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 2/3/2012 1:20:32 AM   
parusski

A bit of WW2 history with PB as the star.

From Stephen Ambrose's book The Death Of Heydrich: The SS 'Butcher of Prague' - "Reinhard Heydrich (1904–1942)—chief of the security police, rabid anti-Semite, architect of the Final Solution, did not die from metal fragments as previously claimed. New evidence has surfaced that shows Hedrich had large amounts of Brazilian Peanut Brittle surrounding him in his car when he was attacked. New DNA tests show Heydrich died from a deadly infection caused by the BPB entering his rectum. Heydrich was known to visit a Berlin BPB den with Goering and Himmler."

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 154
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 2/6/2012 10:36:24 PM   
warspite1

quote:

From Stephen Ambrose's book The Death Of Heydrich: The SS 'Butcher of Prague' - "Reinhard Heydrich (1904–1942)—chief of the security police, rabid anti-Semite, architect of the Final Solution, did not die from metal fragments as previously claimed. New evidence has surfaced that shows Hedrich had large amounts of Brazilian Peanut Brittle surrounding him in his car when he was attacked. New DNA tests show Heydrich died from a deadly infection caused by the BPB entering his rectum. Heydrich was known to visit a Berlin BPB den with Goering and Himmler."
Warspite1

So you are saying that BPB in the rectum is bad for you? ....only erm, I have a, um, friend who er, accidently sat on a piece of BPB by mistake and.... Should my friend be worried?

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 155
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 2/6/2012 10:39:43 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

So you are saying that BPB in the rectum is bad for you? ....only erm, I have a, um, friend who er, accidently sat on a piece of BPB by mistake and.... Should my friend be worried?

Your, er, friend, ahem, might want to do what the mafia does-seek out a doctor who will keep his mouth shut. Oh, you can't see any but NHS doctor's, right? I mean your friend can't.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 156
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 2/6/2012 10:48:51 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Your, er, friend, ahem, might want to do what the mafia does-seek out a doctor who will keep his mouth shut. Oh, you can't see any but NHS doctor's, right? I mean your friend can't.
Warspite1

No I....er I mean my friend has no choice but to visit the local NHS hospital. I'm - er - he's got an appointment sometime in 2013.

I hate it when BPB breaks in half - the edges aren't smooth are they?

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 157
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 2/6/2012 10:51:01 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

No I....er I mean my friend has no choice but to visit the local NHS hospital. I'm - er - he's got an appointment sometime in 2013.

2013? Your friend better find a doctor who works off grid.

The edges are sharp, so I have heard.

If you were in the evil States you could see an ER doc in a couple of hours. I mean your friend could.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 158
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 2/6/2012 11:10:12 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1

2013? Your friend better find a doctor who works off grid.

The edges are sharp, so I have heard.

If you were in the evil States you could see an ER doc in a couple of hours. I mean your friend could.
Warspite1

Its okay when I sit on a cushion.....oh damn......its okay when he sits on a cushion, but he doesn't want to be accidently sitting on any more of the stuff.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 159
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 2/6/2012 11:20:03 PM   
parusski

quote:

Its okay when I sit on a cushion.....oh damn......its okay when he sits on a cushion, but he doesn't want to be accidently sitting on any more of the stuff.

BPB is dangerous to "supposed" non addicts. Your friend should join Orm in a mutual quest to get clean. Orm just rang me, he is apparently getting help in Amsterdam. He was calling from some strange type of cafe though.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 160
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 2/6/2012 11:22:58 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

BPB is dangerous to "supposed" non addicts. Your friend should join Orm in a mutual quest to get clean. Orm just rang me, he is apparently getting help in Amsterdam. He was calling from some strange type of cafe though.
Warspite1

Well Mr Kipling does make exceedingly good cakes, but those sold in Amsterdam are even gooder....so I am told

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 161
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 2/6/2012 11:25:40 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Well Mr Kipling does make exceedingly good cakes, but those sold in Amsterdam are even gooder....so I am told

What what?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 162
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 2/6/2012 11:27:02 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

What what?
Warspite1

Que? Que?

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 163
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 2/6/2012 11:32:22 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

What what?
Warspite1

Que? Que?

что?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 164
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 2/6/2012 11:34:34 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

What what?
Warspite1

Que? Que?

÷òî?

რა? რა?

< Message edited by Orm -- 2/6/2012 11:36:03 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 165
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 2/6/2012 11:36:02 PM   
parusski

quote:

რომ, რა?

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 166
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 2/6/2012 11:39:02 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

რომ, რა?

Warspite1

00001111110000 0010 0111101101110

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 167
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 2/6/2012 11:43:19 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

რომ, რა?

Warspite1

00001111110000 0010 0111101101110

BR549. Figure that one out.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 168
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 3/5/2012 9:00:03 PM   
parusski

THIS CAN'T DIE.

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 169
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 3/5/2012 9:15:12 PM   
warspite1

quote:

THIS CAN'T DIE.
Warspite1

Where was the post about Ambroses death?

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 170
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 3/5/2012 11:12:01 PM   
Aurelian

If Wile E. Coyote...Super Genius, ate Peanut Brittle, the Road Runner would of never gotten away.

But I hear Acme made fake PB anyway.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 171
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 3/6/2012 6:59:37 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

If Wile E. Coyote...Super Genius, ate Peanut Brittle, the Road Runner would of never gotten away.

But I hear Acme made fake PB anyway.
Warspite1

I dont think it would have made any difference. The Road Runner was actually made entirely of Brazilian, Wily Coyote never had a hope.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 172
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 3/6/2012 1:00:39 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

THIS CAN'T DIE.
Warspite1

Where was the post about Ambroses death?

Loud laughter here. I too was trying to find that great story.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 173
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 5/6/2012 10:30:04 PM   
Orm

Why do you contribute so much to Stephen Ambrose? Is it this author that you refer to. And if so why him? Could you please make a serious attempt to explain this to me since I do not understand why so many posts refer to Stephen Ambrose.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 174
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 5/6/2012 10:35:30 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Why do you contribute so much to Stephen Ambrose? Is it this author that you refer to. And if so why him? Could you please make a serious attempt to explain this to me since I do not understand why so many posts refer to Stephen Ambrose.

Warspite1

Orm that link is for Stephen E Ambrose. Stephen Ambrose, the prolific writer on all matters (and BPB fiend) is someone entirely different.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 175
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 5/6/2012 10:37:39 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Orm that link is for Stephen E Ambrose. Stephen Ambrose, the prolific writer on all matters (and BPB fiend) is someone entirely different.

Could you then, please, provide me to a wiki page where I could read about the (in)famous writer Stephen Ambrose?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 176
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 5/6/2012 10:42:52 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

OH my. Warspite1, how can you make such an elementary mistake. Stephen Ambrose is the pen name for Stephen E Ambrose. Ambrose did not want the world to realize he was a compulsive author. According to the 2012 book, JUST WHO IS STEPHEN AMBROSE?, by Stephen E Ambrose, Ambrose is "...my alter ego. For 50 years I was worried that if the world knew I was Stephen Ambrose and saw how many books I wrote, then my sales might fall. But my friend David McCullough convinced me recently that most people were figuring out Stephen Ambrose is me."

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 177
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 5/6/2012 10:53:27 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

OH my. Warspite1, how can you make such an elementary mistake. Stephen Ambrose is the pen name for Stephen E Ambrose. Ambrose did not want the world to realize he was a compulsive author. According to the 2012 book, JUST WHO IS STEPHEN AMBROSE?, by Stephen E Ambrose, Ambrose is "...my alter ego. For 50 years I was worried that if the world knew I was Stephen Ambrose and saw how many books I wrote, then my sales might fall. But my friend David McCullough convinced me recently that most people were figuring out Stephen Ambrose is me."
Warspite1 (Shaking head in utter disbelief)

NO! Stephen E Ambrose I'm sure has a pen name but its not Stephen Ambrose! Stephen Ambrose is a pen name in itself. "Ambrose" and his whole family had their identities changed by the witness protection program after helping to put five of America's biggest hoodlums in jail. The bounty on his, and his family's head, was huge as can be imagined and his whole family had to go into hiding. They had their names changed, identity and everything. Even now, long after Ambroses' death, his family are still top targets for execution. The disguise needed to be really good to foil any attempts to get to him.

Stephen Ambrose is, in real life, Steven Ambrose and......

Attachment (1)

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 178
RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day - 5/6/2012 11:38:37 PM   
parusski

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Warspite1 (Shaking head in utter disbelief)

NO! Stephen E Ambrose I'm sure has a pen name but its not Stephen Ambrose! Stephen Ambrose is a pen name in itself. "Ambrose" and his whole family had their identities changed by the witness protection program after helping to put five of America's biggest hoodlums in jail. The bounty on his, and his family's head, was huge as can be imagined and his whole family had to go into hiding. They had their names changed, identity and everything. Even now, long after Ambroses' death, his family are still top targets for execution. The disguise needed to be really good to foil any attempts to get to him.

Stephen Ambrose is, in real life, Steven Ambrose and......

Yes? Confused? Best we leave it be. Put down the BPB Mr. Banker.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 179
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Happy National Peanut Brittle Day Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI