Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Most Under-rated General?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Most Under-rated General? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Most Under-rated General? - 1/31/2002 11:48:00 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

What general has been unfairly passed by in the history books and the public mind? Eric Maietta

Post #: 1
- 1/31/2002 11:17:00 PM   
ratster

"What general has been unfairly passed by in the history books and the public mind?" If they've been passed by in the history books how would we be aware of them at all? Did you have someone specific in mind when you posed the question? [ January 31, 2002: Message edited by: ratster ]

" If it be now, tis not to come: if it be not to come, it will be now; if it be not now, yet it will come: the readiness is all"

Clan [GOAT]

(in reply to AbsntMndedProf)
Post #: 2
- 2/1/2002 1:23:00 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

Good point. Perhaps I should have said what general's accomplishments haven't received the credit they are due, or have had their accomplishments given short shrift? Eric Maietta

Post #: 3
- 2/1/2002 1:24:00 AM   
Hetz(er)

In WWII I might make an arguement for Von Balck.
He was brought up like a really really good baseball pitcher coming up through the minor leagues until he's ready for the majors. By the end of about a 2 year span he had grown to be as good an opperational commander as any in the german army but his is not a name that gets bandied about like Rommel or Manstein et al.

Post #: 4
- 2/8/2002 5:20:00 AM   
Drex

Von Lettow-Vorbeck was never defeated by the allies in Africa and only finally surrendered when WWI was over. He has had books written about him but his name is never mentioned among the greats.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

Post #: 5
- 2/8/2002 5:54:00 AM   
fontenoy

A good case could perhaps be made for General Slim,the British commander in Burma.Not withstanding that his theatre of operations was well down the list in terms of men and material in the overall British war effort;or,that his logistical problems were severe in the extreme;He still managed to stall the Japanese drive through Burma,and,at Kohima certainly saved the Indian sub-continent from being overrun by Japanese forces.He was later made a field-marshall for his efforts.I have only seen one book about him and was able to find only one about Kohima.A sadly overlooked theatre of operations(relatively speaking)in terms of WW2 history.If anyone out there can recommend anyother books on this subject,I will endeavour to find them.Thank you.
Regards,fontenoy.

Post #: 6
- 2/8/2002 7:03:00 AM   
gators

I'd like to suggest Davout. I have a suspicion that if he'd gone to Spain in 1809 or 1810 that old Nosey may have had a really bad time. My other is Fontenoy's favorite Saxe no other 18th century French general came close to having his success.

"It ain't the gun, Sonny. It's the operator" Bob the Nailer

Post #: 7
- 2/8/2002 7:36:00 AM   
m10bob

German general Heinrici??...American general Gerhardt?(Or even Omar Bradley??)

Post #: 8
- 2/8/2002 1:35:00 PM   
achappelle

Yeremenko, the Soviet general who engineered the defense of theStingrad front, sure he had an excellent subordinate in Chuikov, but he defended with the least force possible, and was partly responsible for OP Uranus with Zukov, but didn't even get a chance to finish the German 6th Army off, he was reassigned just before the end.

"Molon Labe" - Leonidas @ Thermopylae (Come Get Them!!)

Post #: 9
- 2/8/2002 1:37:00 PM   
Blackhorse

For the Americans, I'd have to nominate Ulysses Simpson Grant. While some military historians have given Grant his due -- J.F.C. Fuller considered Grant the greatest American military commander -- his popular image is still that of a "butcher" who wore out the Confederates simply because he outnumbered them. But Grant: 1.Captured 12,000 Confederates at Ft. Donelson.
2. Captured 23,000 Confederates at Vicksburg, after orchestrating one of the two most brilliant campaigns of maneuver (Jackson in the Valley in 1862 was the other)in the war.
3. Captured R.E. Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia where other worthies and not-so-worthies (McClellan, Pope, McClellan again, Burnside, Hooker, Meade) had failed.
4. Broke the Confederate siege of Chattanooga.
5. Designed the Grand Strategy the Union used to win the war in 1864-65.

WitP-AE -- US LCU & AI Stuff

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

Post #: 10
- 2/8/2002 3:42:00 PM   
Fredde

Montgomery, In many books he is written down as unimaginative, dull, only defensive etc etc. His actual performance in difficult position is the best evidence against this

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

Post #: 11
- 2/8/2002 9:18:00 PM   
asgrrr

quote:

Originally posted by Fredde:
Montgomery, In many books he is written down as unimaginative, dull, only defensive etc etc. His actual performance in difficult position is the best evidence against this
Ahem... I think he is overrated if anything. When did he fight in a difficult position anyway?

Never hate your enemy.
It clouds your judgement.

Post #: 12
- 2/9/2002 7:05:00 AM   
gators

Hear, hear. Another possibility from long ago is Pyrrhus, who else consistently fought the Romans to a standstill using a phalanx army?

"It ain't the gun, Sonny. It's the operator" Bob the Nailer

Post #: 13
- 2/10/2002 3:49:00 AM   
fontenoy

One who might deserve mention is Marshall Ney.If only for his determined rearguard actions in covering Napoleon's retreat from Moscow.
Regards,
fontenoy

Post #: 14
- 2/10/2002 1:56:00 PM   
Raverdave

I would like to add Sir John Monash of the 1st Australian Imperial Force, 3rd Division Western front 1916-1918. He was a master of organization and also held a strong view heavy casualties among his own men were due to failures in planning and leadership.
His attention to detail was forward thinking for the time. In a major attack planned for June 7 1917 at Messines Ridge, he had a large map built, covering several acres of land, and insisted on every soldier being cycled through to study it and know his place in the offensive.
Officers and other ranks were expected to memorise every feature, stream and landmark.
Although he did not go onto lead armies, his concern for is troops and the thought that he put into planning attacks shows a compassion and concern for his command, that was seriously lacking and at times not present at all in other commanders of the time. [ February 10, 2002: Message edited by: Raverdave ]

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Post #: 15
- 2/10/2002 7:02:00 PM   
Frank W.

i would perhaps mention gen. heinrici who was no facist,but as far as i know a master on defending his positions to overhelming soviet forces. in the case of the defense of berlin he had (as much german officers) big differences with hitler who was gone completly mad at this point of war..

Post #: 16
- 2/11/2002 11:06:00 AM   
kevsharr

What about the japanese general Yama****a whose army went where the british said he could'nt and then bluffed the british at Singapore into surrendering even though he was outnumbered and would have had to withdraw the next day from lack of supplies?

Post #: 17
- 2/11/2002 11:53:00 AM   
asgrrr

Hehehe... You can't say Yama****a on this forum. Anyone know of his cousins, Yama****a and Yamadicka?

Never hate your enemy.
It clouds your judgement.

Post #: 18
- 2/13/2002 3:14:00 PM   
Supervisor

Creighton Abrams, if for no other reason than his motto,"The further up the flag pole you climb, the more people are looking at your *** ." He was also probably the best armored force commander the USA has produced.

Post #: 19
- 2/14/2002 6:56:00 AM   
AbsntMndedProf

I would nominate General 'Vinegar Joe' Stilwell. Eric Maietta

Post #: 20
- 2/19/2002 4:32:00 AM   
Chiteng

There are too many: Cattulus
Davout
Mannerheim (is he ignored?)
Marlboro(sp?) (also he may not be being ignored)
Forrest?(a despicable man there is no doubt)
Gall (sioux warrior, gets very little PR) My favorite: Lawton Collins

“It is clear that the individual who persecutes a man, his brother, because he is not of the same opinion, is a monster.”

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest

"Statistic

Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Most Under-rated General? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI