Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/25/2012 12:37:22 PM   
wodin

Not OCS there are hundreds of operational games already. How about GD'42, that would be something else.!!

Paradox own the rights to Squad Leader. I wonder when they see Matrix having a big hit here they finally decide to do something with it.

Infact I'm going to post something on their forum.

< Message edited by wodin -- 2/25/2012 12:38:22 PM >

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 31
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/25/2012 3:00:47 PM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

Sniper, if you go to the Academy Games site and log in they offer the rules to CoH in PDF format that you can download to get a feel for the system.

Done! Which version will be used? AtB or SoS?
I'm reading the v2.

quote:

My bookcase is filled with just about every ASL module there is including copies still in shrink wrap for most of them and I was actually new to CoH up until a month or so ago.

Still in shrink wrap? Heresy!
Btw I'm eagerly waiting FB...

quote:

Hope that clears some things up.

Yes, thanks.

quote:

Not OCS there are hundreds of operational games already.

Right, but Guderian's Blitzkrieg and Case Blue linked togheter might be a good title if a computer can handle the annoying stuff

quote:

How about GD'42, that would be something else.!!

Never played this series but the designer is Dean Essig, surely won't be bad.

quote:

Paradox own the rights to Squad Leader.

The old Avalon Hill one?

< Message edited by Blind Sniper -- 2/25/2012 3:08:20 PM >

WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

Post #: 32
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/25/2012 3:00:57 PM   
Skeleton

Yes, as I thought many years ago they had secured the rights to it.

Post #: 33
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/25/2012 8:08:15 PM   
wodin

Yes the old SL. They've just sat on it.

(in reply to Skeleton)
Post #: 34
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/25/2012 9:04:08 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blind Sniper
Still in shrink wrap? Heresy!
Btw I'm eagerly waiting FB...

They are actually duplicates I bought when Avalon Hill was going out of print such as Beyond Valor, Yanks, West of Alamein, and a few others in addition to copies of A3R and Rising sun. Iv'e also got some great CH new and sealed unpunched. Thought they'd be gone forever. Now they sit and collect dust. The missus just doesn't understand.

Speaking of tracers though, take a look at this screen I captured from mere moments after my mortar crew fired. A quick arc of a smoke trail goes from the firing hex to the target hex with an explosion and quickly dissipates. Makes for a great in-game effect. Notice the shellholes created on the fly from that attack. As a result of the mortar fire, the Soviet Rifle Squad became Foot Stunned and suffers penalties as seen in it's unit info panel. A marker is placed on the map over the targeted unit that denotes its damaged state which is also shown in the Unit Info Panel (icon to the farthest right, red marker with soldiers in yellow flash). Units stay in this state until they rally or suffer additional damage.

Mortar crews can also fire into hexes they cannot see. I'd explain how that works if anyone is interested.

For your viewing pleasure;

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 2/25/2012 9:06:53 PM >

(in reply to Blind Sniper)
Post #: 35
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/25/2012 9:12:31 PM   
vonRocko

Man, this is just getting better and better! I love the games look.
Thanks for the screenshots.

Post #: 36
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/25/2012 9:39:39 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

You're welcome vonRocko. I appreciate Gil allowing me to post a few.

One more before Saturday nappy nap time.

This one is a mystery, albeit not too hard of one to figure out with this astute crowd.

What do you notice about this screen? That's right.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 37
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/25/2012 10:30:16 PM   
e_barkmann

tank tracks on the map marking the units movement for the turn?

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

Post #: 38
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/25/2012 10:45:14 PM   
jamespcrowley

Are the red stars hidden or 'unknown ' Soviet units?

Cheers

Jim

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 39
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/25/2012 11:54:23 PM   
wodin

Tank tracks cool.

The one thing that really will take some getting used to is the AFV art. Sometimes I think trying to make your game look more creative doesn't necessarily mean it's going to work well in game. So much easier to have done a top down view that then makes it look like a tank facing the right way. Got to all that trouble to add things like tank tracks etc for immersion purposes and then go and make the tank picture in a 3\4 perspective. Infact I'd thought they'd have gone and given the counter a movable turret to show which way the turrets facing. Then again can the turrets move? I see the green which shows which way the tank is facing, so how do you kno which way the turret is facing?

(in reply to jamespcrowley)
Post #: 40
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/26/2012 12:12:16 AM   
Bradley62

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Tank tracks cool.

The one thing that really will take some getting used to is the AFV art. Sometimes I think trying to make your game look more creative doesn't necessarily mean it's going to work well in game. So much easier to have done a top down view that then makes it look like a tank facing the right way. Got to all that trouble to add things like tank tracks etc for immersion purposes and then go and make the tank picture in a 3\4 perspective. Infact I'd thought they'd have gone and given the counter a movable turret to show which way the turrets facing. Then again can the turrets move? I see the green which shows which way the tank is facing, so how do you kno which way the turret is facing?

YES, Agree 100%. Makes a big difference seeing the tank top down this way. Didn't notice the tracks!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 41
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/26/2012 12:16:23 AM   
Bradley62

About the turret moving, don't know much about the boardgame but is turret traverse modeled.

(in reply to Bradley62)
Post #: 42
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/26/2012 12:23:46 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Merchant

tank tracks on the map marking the units movement for the turn?

Correct you are. Just a little thing I noticed in one of my early games I thought was neat.

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 43
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/26/2012 12:48:09 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

Got to all that trouble to add things like tank tracks etc for immersion purposes and then go and make the tank picture in a 3\4 perspective.

Wodin, I can't speak for WCS as I'm just a late tester, but IMO I don't think they ever intended to make new counter art for the computer version of Academy Games Conflict of Heroes, so things like adding tracks and other immersion factors didn't really impact other areas including counter art. They are as they appear in the boardgame.
They do however offer sprites for those that prefer them to counters.

mo reb

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 44
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/26/2012 2:38:19 AM   
Kubel

Its a great board game, needless to say I'm excited about the computer version.

Don
"Our profession should always be crowned by heroic death in battle" Generalfeldmarschall Fedor von Bock

Post #: 45
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/27/2012 7:37:31 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel
quote:

Got to all that trouble to add things like tank tracks etc for immersion purposes and then go and make the tank picture in a 3\4 perspective.

Wodin, I can't speak for WCS as I'm just a late tester, but IMO I don't think they ever intended to make new counter art for the computer version of Academy Games Conflict of Heroes, so things like adding tracks and other immersion factors didn't really impact other areas including counter art. They are as they appear in the boardgame.
mo reb

That about sums it up -- we didn't really see a reason to use precious graphics resources on the 2D counters, and also figured that players who know the original game would prefer something familiar.

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

Post #: 46
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/27/2012 7:38:37 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel
quote:

mo reb

That about sums it up -- we didn't really see a reason to use precious graphics resources on the 2D counters, and also figured that players who know the original game would prefer something familiar.

Michael Jordan plays ball. Charles Manson kills people. I torment eager potential customers by not sharing screenshots of "Brother Against Brother." Everyone has a talent.

Post #: 47
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/27/2012 12:15:06 PM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

The missus just doesn't understand.

Same here but I'm lucky enough to travel for my ASL meeting/tournaments without too much opposition

quote:

Mortar crews can also fire into hexes they cannot see. I'd explain how that works if anyone is interested.

Yes, I am.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 48
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/27/2012 12:27:00 PM   
wodin

I can understand not wanting to upset the boardgame owners. Though I'd rather have seen a top down pic or boardgame style rather than boardgame style and 3D sprite. It's a shame modding sounds difficult otherwise I'd have had ago myself.

I ask aswell...Can turrets traverse?

(in reply to Blind Sniper)
Post #: 49
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/27/2012 5:38:40 PM   
PirateJock

In the boardgame all fighting vehicles have a 120 degree fire arc. AFVs with 360 degree rotation - marked by a white circle around AP cost to fire on the counter - spend additional 1 AP to fire outside this arc.

Cheers

Combat Command Matrix Edition Company, The Forgotten Few

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 50
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/29/2012 2:54:44 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blind Sniper
quote:

Yes, I am.

Been real busy these past couple days Sniper. Sorry I couldn't post this earlier.

Take a look at this screen and you'll see a German Mortar Crew (in the red oval I added) that has the opportunity to fire on the Soviet troops during his phase of the turn. You know this by referring to the Action Point (AP) value located inside the white oval in the Unit Info Panel. The German Mortar Crew currently have 7 AP's. Units spend these AP's to perform various actions during the course of a turn such as Move, Change Facing, create a Hasty Defense, Fire etc. Each action cost a set amount of AP's to perform and are deducted from the unit's total. Units receive their full amount of AP's again at the beginning of the next Game Turn and AP's may not be saved from turn to turn.

Looking at the map you can see that the German Mortar Crew has spotted an enemy Mortar Crew located in the Black square at the top of the screen. That unit is in the German Mortar Crew's Line Of Sight (LOS) as highlighted by the lighter green hexes. The German Mortar Crew can fire on that hex at a cost of 3 AP's as shown by the value in the purple oval. That is the cost to fire at enemy's within the Mortar Crews LOS.

Units can also fire at enemy units NOT within their LOS, but which are within the LOS of their spotter. A spotter is not an actual piece on the board, but rather is assumed to occupy any of the adjacent hexes of the indirect firing unit. Only units that have a number in parenthesis for their firing cost may indirect fire, usually at a higher cost. (4 instead of 3 in this case) Eligible units are any such located in a hex highlighted in red. In the screenshot below that would include the two units in the blue square.

That means in this turn the German Mortar Crew can fire twice at the unit within its LOS for 6 AP's or once each for 7 AP's.

Additionally, if you look at the upper left of the screenshot you'll see a brown rectangle. These are the PLAYERS (not individual units) Command Action Points (CAP's). A player may convert as many CAP's as he chooses to add AP's to the selected unit at a rate of 1:1. These AP's can then be used as normal.

For our example, the German Mortar Crew could actually indirect fire for 4 AP's, leaving 3, then convert a CAP to gain an AP and indirect fire again. CAP's also have several other uses. More on that later I am sure.

Keep this in mind when setting up your units at the beginning of battle.

mo reb

Attachment (1)

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to PirateJock)
Post #: 51
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/29/2012 5:10:57 AM   
rickier65

Thanks for sharing that Mo-Reb.

That looks pretty straight forward. I'm looking forward to this.

Thanks
rick

Post #: 52
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/29/2012 8:34:58 AM   
wodin

Any chance we can turn the die roll screen off? Unless it has some great descriptive writing in it I find it breaks immersion.

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 53
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/29/2012 11:18:54 AM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

Been real busy these past couple days Sniper. Sorry I couldn't post this earlier.

Speaking about forum etiquette: ask a question is an obligation, answer is a courtesy

Anyhow you have been very clear, thanks.
All the in-game informations seem very easy to understand.

quote:

Any chance we can turn the die roll screen off? Unless it has some great descriptive writing in it I find it breaks immersion.

I think using the arrow in the left, just under the mortar crew image.

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 54
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 2/29/2012 2:27:00 PM   
Ken7

HOLY MOLY I dont believe it. Am I dreaming? Am I halucinating? Is this an April Fools joke in February? If Matrix is gonna sell it Im gonna buy it. Sign me up.

< Message edited by Ken7 -- 2/29/2012 3:58:31 PM >

Post #: 55
RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! - 4/5/2012 3:53:04 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bradley62

About the turret moving, don't know much about the boardgame but is turret traverse modeled.

Just noticed your question was never answered Bradley62.

Yes, a turreted unit can fire outside of its facing by spending 1 extra AP to do so without changing facing.

mo reb

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 4/5/2012 4:00:43 AM >

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Bradley62)
Post #: 56
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Conflict of Heroes Series >> RE: Welcome to the Conflict of Heroes forum! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI