Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 7/21/2012 1:19:22 AM   
fcharton

March 20th 1942

Yet another dull day, in Western China, the 9th Separate Brigade was thrown back once again, a Dutch base force was molested north of Oosthaven, and a pair of Chinese HQs were trounced near Nanchang. But lots of movement happened. Iloilo was reinforced with a second infantry regiment. Two divisions arrived in Changteh. The 26th division reached Hami. Tomorrow will be most interesting.

So without further ado…

March 21st 1942

Lost opportunity

Off Suva, RO-67 found a transport task force…

Japanese Ships
SS RO-67

Allied Ships
BB New Mexico
DD Walke
AP Crescent City
AP President Polk
xAP Rangatira
xAP Santa Elena
xAK Howell Lykes
DD Le Triomphant
DD Stuart

Unfortunately, she was spotted before she could fire. In deep water, the three destroyers didn’t achieve anything.

Meanwhile in Brisbane

KB paid a surprise visit. We traded Zeroes and Kates for Airacobras and Kittyhawks, and badlay damages a submarine tender (Otus) and a coastal sweeper. I could pretend that this is keeping the enemy on his toes, but truth is I have little use for the KB right now…

This confirms one previous impression I had about my opponent. He loves planes, and will use them as soon as he has opportunity. This suggests capturing bases for his bombers will play a large part in his late game strategy.

Hami and Changteh

In Western China, Hami fell today, 16 chinese planes were trapped in the base. Next stop: Urumchi! In both my games, the conquest of western China is a pretty easy affair. Last time, it began earlier: I captured Urumchi on the 22nd of March, on the other hand, when the game stopped in late may, Lanchow was about to fall. In this reality, I will probably hold Sining by the end of this month, and all bases in the west by May.

In Central China, a deliberate attack near Kweiyang achieved very little. The enemy is reinforcing the hex. They will not have enough to chase us, but we cannot oust them either. In Changteh, enemy units were bombed, reinforcements have arrived, we are attacking tomorrow.

Easy Indies

As expected, we had a very successful day in the Philippines and East Indies.

On Sumatra, Sabang was captured, a Dornier 24 and two Catalinas were destroyed. This completes the capture of northern Sumatra.

On Borneo, Bandjermasin fell soon after the supplies were exhausted. Sampit is the only allied base on the island.

On Java, three infantry regiments landed in Kalidjati. The base is empty, and should fall tomorrow. We will then march on Buitenzorg, to meet our forces there, and cut northern Java (this is important : Java has a very good railway network, if you want to prevent the enemy from reinforcing, you need to cut it).

In the south, Malang, abandoned by the enemy, was captured. I am marching on Surabaya, and detaching my tanks to isolate the city, and captured nearby bases (Tjepoe, Madioen).

Iloilo, the last enemy base in the Philippine Islands, fell today. The garrison surrendered. The two regiments that participated are still at full strength. I intend to send them to Timor, to take the place and begin building this area.

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 151
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 7/21/2012 8:48:34 PM   
fcharton

March 22nd 1942

Changteh, at last

Changteh was captured by the IJA on the 16th of February. Since then, the KMT mounted two operations to retake it, and cut off my troops in Chihkiang and around Kweiyang. The first assault was easily repulsed. The second one, on the 11th of march, involved a much larger force. It could not storm the base, thanks to the forts, but I could not defeat them either.

With reinforcements arriving from Ichang, we were able to attack the invaders, disrupted by several days of air bombardment.

Ground combat at Changteh (81,50)
Japanese Deliberate attack
Attacking force 46686 troops, 392 guns, 145 vehicles, Assault Value = 1453
Defending force 32845 troops, 304 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 802
Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
2838 casualties reported
Squads: 15 destroyed, 153 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 24 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Allied ground losses:
9824 casualties reported
Squads: 234 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 432 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 17 destroyed, 11 disabled
Guns lost 22 (15 destroyed, 7 disabled)
Units retreated 7

Note the absence of disabled squads, this most certainly was a very bloody affair.
I am pursuing these guys. I want them trashed and back in Changsha.

What happens in Changsha

We invaded Hengyang. A first shock attack over the river went fine

Ground combat at Hengyang (80,53)
Japanese Shock attack
Attacking force 17696 troops, 142 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 594
Defending force 12712 troops, 85 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 420
Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 3)
Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 2

Japanese ground losses:
579 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 60 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Allied ground losses:
961 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 137 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled

I am bombing, and attacking again tomorrow. Reinforcements are on their way. I believe Hengyang will be ours very soon. Then, we will have Siangtan. The goal is to isolate the troops in Changsha. The enemy has about 40 units there, probably worth several thousand AV, and I don’t want them defending Chungking, or Kweiyang.

Incidentally, this also means that if my opponent wants to make a stand on the road to Chungking, or defend Kunming, he will have to use troops from Sichuan, and therefore weaken his core.

The fall of Kalidjati

This is hardly newsworthy: two small units defending the base offered little resistance to three battle hardened regiments. But we have a beachhead in northern Java, we are moving on Bandoeng, and the landings in Buitenzorg, which should happen very soon, will most cut off Batavia.

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 152
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 7/22/2012 5:31:14 PM   
fcharton

March 23rd 1942

Noumea now

After Brisbane, KB raided Noumea today, and sank a French cargo, xAKL Vichy, a strange name, since the Vichy government is supposed to be on our side.

More interesting was the presence of a squadron of Airacobras, and a large troop contingent (8 units, with the base registering as US). This might, together with the buildup in Port Moresby, might indicate plans for a historical approach to reconquest, from the Solomons northwards.

KB’s next stop is Suva for another reconnaissance in force, which might confirm these findings. If so, I need to rush in the Solomons: most of the area is conquered, but most of the bases are ungarrisoned, and those that are could be taken by token forces. I have an infantry division in Rabaul, which would make a rash attempt a very dangerous proposition, but I now need to reinforce all those small places in the south.

The objective, here, is very simple : I want to make this southern route the obvious and only road for Allied reconquest, as I believe this is what offers me the best chance to last. As such, troops send to the Solomons will be expendable: I am trading men for time.

Sining, the beginning of the end

Yesterday, the two tank regiment cordoning Sining were reinforced with two divisions and two brigades. A first deliberate attack reduced the forts and damaged the enemy, while achieving 2:1 odds. The city should fall tomorrow.

Ground combat at Sining (80,32)
Attacking force 37973 troops, 343 guns, 94 vehicles, Assault Value = 1484
Defending force 13108 troops, 105 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 326
Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 2
Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 2)

Japanese ground losses:
833 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 76 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 10 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 6 (1 destroyed, 5 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1031 casualties reported
Squads: 26 destroyed, 33 disabled
Non Combat: 8 destroyed, 31 disabled
Guns lost 19 (2 destroyed, 17 disabled)

The capture of Sining and the pursuit of the garrison will end our operations in northern China (Urumchi, Kashgar and Wasu being a side show). Everything should be over by the end of the month. The campaign went surprisingly well.

Here is a map that shows the progress, with the dates when enemy bases fell.

Several notes to self:
Yenan is key to early operations: once Japan holds it, the northern road is safe, and Sian can be turned.
At least one of the stacks in Nanyang or Loyang must be thoroughly battered before they retreat into defensive terrain. This means bombardment, sieges, and resisting the temptation to oust the defenders while they still have some strength left. In this game, we managed that in Nanyang, and the march on Sian was very easy. We did not achieve it in Loyang, and the 20 retreated units could put up a defense on the “slow road”.
Once Sian falls, there is no need to go for Ankang and Tienshui at once. Those bases will fall eventually, but the slow roads make operations very inefficient. Instead, pushing on Kungchang and Lanchow (and Sining, if possible) can be done fast, due to the major road, and will deprive the Allies of a lot of resources.

The fall of Sining should free a few more divisions. I am planning to end them (with a few more stationed now between Sian and Ankang) to Kienko, along the mountain road. I probably do not have enough to break into Sichuan, but this will force the enemy to defend this access to his heartland. It must be good.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 153
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 7/22/2012 5:45:02 PM   
PaxMondo

Great job in China ... 

Pax

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 154
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 7/23/2012 7:21:39 PM   
fcharton

Thanks a lot, Pax. I am very curious about the war in China. Taking the KMT out is not really a problem, but I want to see whether this can be done without meddling too much with strat bombing, and trying to really the Chinese in the field (and not starving them into submission).

March 24th, 1942
(while listening to Ben Britten and Peter Pears in Schubert, can one find less warlike music?)

The day Sining really fell

… was today, but I discussed it yesterday, so I will not elaborate. Here is the relevant part of the combat report.

Ground combat at Sining (80,32)
Attacking force 37246 troops, 342 guns, 94 vehicles, Assault Value = 1412
Defending force 12403 troops, 103 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 272
Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 1
Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 1)
Japanese forces CAPTURE Sining !!!

Allied aircraft losses
I-16-III: 1 destroyed

Japanese ground losses:
927 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 78 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 16 disabled
Guns lost 4 (1 destroyed, 3 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
7477 casualties reported
Squads: 197 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 333 destroyed, 18 disabled
Engineers: 27 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 17 (9 destroyed, 8 disabled)
Units retreated 3
Units destroyed 3

I had hoped to catch a few more planes, but their legs are probably long enough to flee to Chengtu. The ground losses (530 squads destroyed) are very nice, as are the three destroyed units, base forces and headquarters, ie those that die for good. I will pursue them as I retire on Lanchow. With a little luck, we can defeat them twice and push them into the mountains.

New China

With northern China under Japanese control, the focus is shifting to Central China. Two important operations are underway.

First, we are trying to cut the communications between Changsha and Chungking. To this effect we invaded Hengyang. Forts are now being reduced, it is a matter of days. Once Hengyang falls, we should take Shaoyang. Between 150 000 and 200 000 enemy troops, and forty units, will then be trapped in Changsha and Siangtan.

Second, we are trying to cut the road between Tuyun and Kweiyang. We are being much less successful here, as the Chinese have reinforced the hex. Fortunately, Chiang is helping, by being a bit arrogant.

Ground combat at 75,50 (near Kweiyang)
Allied Deliberate attack
Attacking force 24533 troops, 243 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 746
Defending force 32737 troops, 405 guns, 42 vehicles, Assault Value = 730
Allied assault odds: 1 to 10

Japanese ground losses:
534 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 39 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 3 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Allied ground losses:
850 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 116 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 2 disabled

Over 22 000 chinese combat squads are reported destroyed today, out of a total of 35 000 including replacements. Real losses are probably slightly higher, due to attrition of cut off troops. I intend to go on destroying Chinese units before going for Chungking, so that the defeated Chinese cannot flee and rebuild in India.

Time is of the essence, though. The longer I take in China, the more complete the destruction of the KMT, and the more troops I can extricate to reinforce Burma (thus freeing troops there for duty in the DEI), but the more time the enemy has to launch his reconquest.

My “perfect timing” would be to finish China off by July, so that Burma can be reinforced in September, troops in Burma can take duty in the DEI, and DEI troops in the pacific. This means we could block any enemy advance by the end of the year, and hold very strong positions in the Pacific in mid-1943.

This should make Allied advance in the Pacific and DEI a very costly and slow affair. I want a defensive battle there. But then, if China can be cleared of enemy troops, we will have more than we need to launch an operation into India…

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 155
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 7/23/2012 7:37:04 PM   
MAurelius

gj on China - very impressive...

BUT - didn't you say you wanted to focus more on the Pacific in this game - contrary to ours (just kidding...)

formerly known as SoliInvictus202

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 156
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 7/23/2012 8:18:04 PM   
fcharton

Hi Roland

I do focus a lot more on the Pacific than in our game, but "a lot more" is still not enough to amount to "much".

Francois

(in reply to MAurelius)
Post #: 157
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 7/24/2012 12:23:37 AM   
fcharton

March 25th, 1942

Today, we landed on the last enemy held base on Borneo, Sampit. Since there is no garrison, it should fall tomorrow, either to attack or auto capture.

Most of the action happened in China. Near Changsha, a first deliberate attack of Chinese units retreated from Changteh resulted in 1:2 odds. Reinforcements are on their way, we will attack again in a few days.

Near Kweiyang, the enemy, unfazed by yesterday’s bad result, shock attacked, and it was a good day for Evil Empire

Allied Shock attack
Attacking force 23872 troops, 243 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1008
Defending force 32433 troops, 405 guns, 42 vehicles, Assault Value = 699
Allied assault odds: 1 to 45

Japanese ground losses:
243 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 29 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
5159 casualties reported
Squads: 199 destroyed, 116 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 63 disabled
Engineers: 4 destroyed, 6 disabled
Guns lost 37 (2 destroyed, 35 disabled)

With enemies like that...

Finally, we captured Hengyang. The Changsha pocket is closing.

Ground combat at Hengyang (80,53)
Attacking force 16950 troops, 142 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 517
Defending force 11146 troops, 85 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 258
Japanese assault odds: 7 to 1 (fort level 1)
Japanese forces CAPTURE Hengyang !!!

Japanese ground losses:
231 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 25 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
1721 casualties reported
Squads: 176 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 174 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 31 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 29 (27 destroyed, 2 disabled)
Units retreated 4

The battles in Hengyang and Kweiyang made the 25th of March our best day in the month in terms of Chinese combat squads destroyed (over 400, and 200 more support squads).

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 158
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 7/27/2012 11:45:37 PM   
fcharton

March 26th 1942

KB in Suva

This was probably the most disappointing raid since the beginning of the war. We did not find much in Brisbane, sank a lone French light cargo in Nouméa, and today, had an inconclusive air battle over Suva, where two zeros were traded for four P-400 (I don’t know whether this is good or bad).

And later this afternoon, Dauntlesses managed to hit Shokaku. She’s at Sys14, so nothing too bad, and we shot down three Warhawks and two Dauntlesses, but still…

We are now sailing back to Truk for refits. I am considering detaching Shokaku and Zuikaku to the Home Islands, where they need to refit in June anyway.

The only worthwhile part of the raid is the intelligence gathered on enemy dispositions. My opponent has assembled large American forces in Fiji and New Caledonia. I have not checked Pago Pago, but I suspect it is the same. This suggests the Gilberts and Solomons as possible paths for reconquest. Right now, I am grossly inadequate in both areas. I need to reinforce soon.

Java

In the South, we took Tjepoe. A first bombardment attack in Surabaya revealed 850 AV, behind good fortifications. These units will not go anywhere, since all the hexsides are ours, but I don’t have enough forces to defeat them. I will wait for the northern troops to join us, and Surabaya will probably be the last base to fall.

On Borneo, Sampit was captured. All bases on the island are now Japanese.
In Bataan, another bombardment managed to destroy enemy squads, but none of mine. Given the number of guns the Allies have in town, this suggests they might be out of supply. I am hesitating to attack.

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 159
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 7/28/2012 9:59:41 AM   
fcharton

March 27th, 1942

A bad day to evacuate

In March 1942, and save the occasional submarine wake off the coast of Japan or between Truk and the Gilberts, Japanese search planes seldom find enemy ships at sea. There was much rejoicing and merrymaking in EVNAVSUM (Evil Naval headquarters, Sumatra, after long discussions, vicious lobbying and a purge, the Empire began experimenting with US style military acronyms, USMILACR in newspeak), and a cruiser force led by CA Maya and Takao, was promptly dispatched to investigate.

It turned out to be two Dutch transports, loaded with what might have been a base force, or perhaps a headquarter unit. It was promptly sunk, there was more rejoicing and merrymaking, and our search pilots resumed their normal activity : staring at the empty sea.

Day Time Surface Combat, near Christmas Island IO at 47,110, Range 22,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Takao
CA Maya
CL Natori
DD Mikazuki
TB Kari

Allied Ships
xAP Mijer, Shell hits 7, and is sunk
xAP Van Imhoff, Shell hits 6, and is sunk

Allied ground losses:
2079 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 124 destroyed, 142 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

One strange thing about this report is the disablement count… It seems we sank the whole task force, in the middle of the ocean, how can troops be disabled? Or does it mean there were escorts which managed to fish out half of the unit?

Java crumbling

In northern Java, Buitenzorg and Bandoeng were captured today. We will have about three division equivalents ashore tomorrow (two divisions in Buitenzorg and the three regiments that landed in Kalidjati), and Batavia and the area around it is cut off.

In the South, a bombardment of Surabaya confirms yesterdays findings. The enemy is beghind forts, and we need more troops.

Our plan for Java is now clear. The three divisions in the north will converge on Batavia and Merak and clear the units there (recon suggests a limited force). Meanwhile, my tanks will move along the coast, and try to open the railway line between Batavia and Surabaya, leaving behind them pockets in places like Tjilatjap. Once Batavia and Merak are held, the two divisions now in Buitenzorg will be railed to Surabaya, and take the place, while the rest will clear the remaining enemy forces.

Tough times in Bataan

We tried our first deliberate attack in Bataan… As expected, the enemy was unsupplied, but behind level four forts.

Ground combat at Bataan (78,77)
Attacking force 37873 troops, 488 guns, 246 vehicles, Assault Value = 1276
Defending force 48181 troops, 736 guns, 536 vehicles, Assault Value = 1484
Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 3
Japanese assault odds: 1 to 3 (fort level 3)
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), leaders(+), experience(-), supply(-)

Japanese ground losses:
4154 casualties reported
Squads: 38 destroyed, 438 disabled
Non Combat: 6 destroyed, 127 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 36 disabled
Guns lost 74 (14 destroyed, 60 disabled)
Vehicles lost 54 (7 destroyed, 47 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1143 casualties reported
Squads: 23 destroyed, 86 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 58 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 15 disabled
Guns lost 11 (1 destroyed, 10 disabled)
Vehicles lost 16 (2 destroyed, 14 disabled)

This hurts, but the fort level will not come back (the airfield is bombed every day, and supplies are lacking), and we probably took a 10% of enemy forces. We will rest for a while, bombard again, and attack again.

I would like to take Bataan in April, and send those troops to the south pacific.

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 160
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 7/29/2012 3:54:14 PM   
fcharton

March 28th, 1942

Changsha pocket, friends from Burma and other Chinese stories

In Central China, Shaoyang was captured today, and Hengyang reinforced.

Ground combat at Shaoyang (80,52)
Attacking force 12318 troops, 104 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 917
Defending force 3244 troops, 10 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 135
Japanese assault odds: 20 to 1 (fort level 1)
Japanese forces CAPTURE Shaoyang !!!

Japanese ground losses:
85 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled

Allied ground losses:
1287 casualties reported
Squads: 18 destroyed, 34 disabled
Non Combat: 26 destroyed, 15 disabled
Engineers: 7 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 4 (1 destroyed, 3 disabled)
Units retreated 1

The road from Shaoyang to Chihkiang is patrolled, and will be cleared soon. This secures the Changteh-Chihkiang axis, where my troops are moving towards Kweiyang.

Units from Wuchang and Nanchang are converging on Changsha, together with the large artillery stack that moved in from Ankang. The story of this “death star” is interesting, and typical of this game. It was used to good effect in Nanyang in December, but the rapid capture of Sian made her useless, as the lack of enemy defense in Tienshui and Ankang. They have now marched back to Sinyang. I am planning to send them to Wuchang, and then Changsha, to pound the city. The objective is always the same: reduce Chinese numbers.

The Changsha pocket now holds about 2000 AV and 200 000 troops. My accounts of destroyed Chinese squads put their remaining forces around 12 000 combat squads, Changsha probably represents a third of those forces.

In the south west, our armored spearheads reached Paoshan. The city was defended by a Chinese division, a corps headquarter and two RAF base forces. That was too much for my tanks, but will be no match for the 110th division, arriving in a few days. Holding Paoshan is important, for it makes KMT evacuations into India a much more difficult task.

The situation in China is pretty clear now.

- In the far west, I am marching on Urumchi, the goal is to take and lightly garrison all bases, and let whichever Chinese units are left around starve (no bases, no supply).
- In the northwest, I am leaving light garrisons, and mustering troops from Sining, Lanchow and Ankang to form a column that will march on Kienko, over the secondary road. The objective is to threaten Chengtu, and force the KMT to garrison this area.
- In the southwest, the 110th will march on Tsuyung, and try to take the place.
- In Central China, we will lay siege on Changsha, the goal being to destroy enemy forces, and reinforce the hex between Tuyun and Kweiyang. Yet, it is quite possible that we will move around this roadblock (armored units have been sent north and secured the road from Patung).
- In the South, we will pretend, and try to keep enemy garrisons in place.

I am relatively confident that I can take China by the end of Summer 1942. I am now delaying the move on Chungking so as to leave fewer units behind, and make the cleanup job easier.

Spring cleaning

With Sumatra captured and Java invaded, the initial phase is pretty much over. We have been playing turns at a fast rate, and many details have been overlooked.

As we speak, front line bases are dangerously low on supplies, we lack a good hub network for fuel and supplies, no defensive preparations have been made, save a few random engineer units being dispatched on random bases. Naval and air assets are scattered, most naval HQ are in their starting positions, air HQ have been left where they once were deployed, naval search is not organized, and pilot training is a joke.

We are not in immediate danger, mind you. The economy is running smoothly, the enemy is not counterattacking, and I very much doubt he can before several months, we still have an edge at sea and in the air. But we need to correct this tendency, and, most importantly, we need a plan, or, rather, some general doctrine that serves as a guide for our logistics.

I will take advantage of the following turns to mull about Japanese logistics, and plans for 1942. So, without further ado…

Spring cleaning I: the empire in March 1942, and a book of grievances

As March 1942 is ending, Japan holds most of the East Indies, and all the Philippines save Bataan. Singapore and Palembang are open for business. Java is under siege and will fall soon. Only Timor is still in Allied hands. With naval bases on Java under attack, enemy surface forces and submarines have retreated, some might be based in Darwin, but Perth, Colombo and South Australia are more likely. In other words, the South China Sea, the Java sea and the Celebes sea are Japanese lakes. In the Indian ocean, the Allies control the Andamans, and sea lanes between Singapore and Rangoon are closed.

In the South Pacific, the northern coast of New Guinea, the Admiralty islands and Rabaul have been secured. We control the Solomons but with very small garrisons. Port Moresby, and the area between Lae and Milne Bay, are still under Allied controls, and will probably be fought over in the upcoming months. In the Pacific, we hold the Marshall, and the northern Gilberts. On the Continent, most of Burma is held, as the northern half of China and the coast.

On the petrol front, the situation is good. We hold over 3000 oil centres, with only 215 (7%) are damaged (mostly in Miri 120, Magwe 55 and Samarinda 20). Refineries suffered a bit more (360 damaged over 3500), but since we have more undamaged refineries than oilfields, we do not repair them. At present, our refining capacity exceeds our oil production by 3 370 tons per day. At this rate, our oil stocks would last for 1300 days, ie until the end of 1945. This suggests refining capacity could be expanded a little. I suspect the right amount is between 4 000 and 5 000 tons per day over oil production.

The question, then, would be where to repair… The most damaged refineries are Miri (159) and Rangoon (102). Both strike me as bad choices : Miri, because the port is too small and extra fuel will spoil, Rangoon because it will most certainly be bombed soon. I might repair Balikpapan (62 damaged refineries) instead.

But this is a rich man’s problem. We are now refining 28 200 tons of fuel per day. Our industry uses half of it, and our navy about a quarter.

We have about a thousand resource centres in excess, thanks to the recent captures in northern and central China. We stock about 55% of the HI we produce, and will be over 700 000 HI points after the April pilot draw. Supply levels are up, despite a war being fought and construction being done. I am neither repairing resources and light industry, and will probably let far away resources be lost.

So, the general outlook is good. It gets a bit more troublesome when one looks at the repartition of resources and supplies.

75% of supply production takes place in Japan, China Manchukuo and Korea account for 15%, and Sumatra for 4%. As for the stock, 62% of supplies are in Japan, and 17% in China, Manchukuo and Korea. Apart from Truk (where 220 000 tons of supplies are stocked), Pescadores (80 000) and Palembang (50 000), the front, and even second lines, are badly unsupplied. Convoys do bring stuff from the Home Island to Korea, but with enemy troops roaming free in Fujian, supplies do not flow from Fusan to Singapore.

The situation with respect to fuel and oil is much better. 72% of anon bunker fuel is in Japan and Manchukuo (Port Arthur), which is more than enough for the industry and local duty ships. The rest is relatively close to the front: we have 400 000 tons in Singapore, 220 000 in Palembang, 150 000 in Balikpapan, 150 000 in Truk and 120 000 in Pescadores. Our only problem, right now, is the lack of fuel in forward bases, and the very low levels in the Central Pacific (Marshalls and Marianas).

On a more general level, we need to establish a hub system, and a network of second line bases, to bring supplies to the front, to base local transports, rest and refit units, and replace lost planes. This is our first grievance.

A second problem is the organization of defenses. Right now, few of my bases are garrisoned. Some engineer units have moved in, to build defenses, but in a very uncoordinated way. A side question is minefields. In Surabaya, the Allies have shown how effective those can be. So far, all my minelayers and tenders are in Japan.

Finally, I need to organize air defense: search and patrols, air HQ and torpedo units, and task forces to punish whatever is detected.

I will try to discuss this in later installments.

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 161
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 8/4/2012 1:32:06 PM   
fcharton

March 29th, 1942

Yet another dull day in the Pacific. Sweeps over Port Blair shot down a few Hurricanes.
We had a large battle between Changteh and Changsha, and the enemy forces that once tried to take Changteh back were badly defeated.

Ground combat at 81,51 (near Changsha)
Attacking force 50039 troops, 439 guns, 84 vehicles, Assault Value = 1533
Defending force 22355 troops, 282 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 364
Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
1610 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 115 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 17 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Guns lost 11 (1 destroyed, 10 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
7323 casualties reported
Squads: 515 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 400 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 17 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 40 (29 destroyed, 11 disabled)
Units retreated 7

That’s over 500 combat squads, and as many support troops, and this means less forces to defend Chansha. My artillery is about a week away, the siege will probably begin in the second week of April.

March 30th, 1942

Java is falling, rats are leaving the ship (the island, not the ship), and surface forces are sinking them (the ships, not the rats, that wasn't such a good metaphor, after all)…

Night Time Surface Combat, near Madioen at 51,109, Range 9,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Takao
CA Maya
CL Natori
DD Mikazuki
TB Kari

Allied Ships
xAK Period, Shell hits 16, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAK Ulooloo, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
xAK Illisos, Shell hits 18, and is sunk

Madioen feel today. The two IJA divisions that landed in Buitenzorg are in Batavia, and “barrage recon” finds about 150 AV, for 900 ours. Northern Java will be ours soon.

Surabaya is the base my opponent will defend. Bombarment revealed 900 AV there, and cause a lot of casualties on our side, a sure sign that the place is fortified. We control all the hexsides around the city, so the defenders have nowhere to go. I will clear the rest of the island and then move my troops there for the kill. Installations (oil, refinery) will most certainly be damaged, but this is a price we can pay.

In China, the hex between Tuyun and Kweiyang is now quite reinforced. I am bombarding, and waiting for more troops (now around Changteh). We will try to break this in time.

Meanwhile, our artillery is marching on Changsha. The objective is to pound it like we did in Nanyang and Loyang in January, and ensure that those troops (probably over 3000 AV worth of infantry, with some artillery and engineers) can never be replaced or rebuilt.

< Message edited by fcharton -- 8/4/2012 1:33:31 PM >

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 162
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 8/4/2012 10:58:45 PM   
fcharton

Again, this AAR is lagging behind the game, which hit the tenth of April today, I’m catching up on a week before discussing the spring cleaning.

March 31st 1942

On the very last day of the invasion bonus, two infantry regiments landed safely in Koepang. I am quite proud of this gamey timing. The base in not as reinforced as I feared: an Australian battalion was added to Dutch troops, for a total AV of 120. I have about the double, which might not be enough, but certainly won’t be thrown back.

On Java, a first deliberate attack in Batavia reduced the forts to level 2, and achived 2:1 odds. If the base does not fall tomorrow, then it will be the day after…

In China, with Hengyang and Shaoyang now firmly in Japanese hands, we are clearing the raod between Chihkiang and Shaoyang. Today, a column moving south from Chihkiang attacked across the river.

Ground combat at 78,51 (near Chihkiang)
Japanese Shock attack
Attacking force 17447 troops, 258 guns, 93 vehicles, Assault Value = 583
Defending force 5634 troops, 42 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 207
Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
816 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 84 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
1002 casualties reported
Squads: 77 destroyed, 45 disabled
Non Combat: 54 destroyed, 22 disabled
Guns lost 13 (3 destroyed, 10 disabled)
Units retreated 2

We are now converging on the clear hex north of Shaoyang. Then our troops in Shaoyang and Hengyang will turn to Siangtan, and those in Chihkiang to Kweiyang.

As of today, 23 500 chinese combat squads were destroyed, that is about two third of the KMT forces. We’re not there yet, but prospects are good.

April 1st, 1942

We are still sweeping Port Blair. This is costing us, but I believe it is worth doing, as I don’t think the RAF has a lot of Hurricane replacements (I would be interested about comments on this…). Loss ratios vary greatly from day to day, today was a good one, and we lost 14 planes for 23 enemies.

On Java, tank regiments are busy capturing small bases. Their goal is to clear the rail network, and herd enemy units into a few bases: Batavia/Merak, Tjilatjap and Surabaya. So far, it seems to be working. In Batavia, a second day of attack achieved 2:1 odds, reduced the forts again, and destroyed 70 enemy squads and one unit, but failed to take the base. More of the same tomorrow.

April 2nd, 1942

Batavia fell on the third day of attack. The coastal gun unit surrendered, and the remaining eight units retreated to Merak. One of my infantry divisions is marching on Merak, while the other will occupy the neighboring hex, just to be sure those Dutch units nicely surrender.

The other base captured today was Patung, the dot base between Ichang and Ankang. I had sent an armored recon unit there, and the base was unoccupied. This should lengthen the supply lines of units caught between Ankang and Nanyang, and those in the forest north of Changteh.

April 3rd, 1942

In China, the 104th infantry division finally arrived in Paoshan, after being delayed by air raids from Kunming (I have difficulty flying CAP over them, since Paoshan is far from my bases, and my supply level in Burma is low). A first attack rediced the forts and achieved 3:1 odds. Paoshan will probably fall tomorrow.

In New Guinea, the first raiding regiment captured Buna. I expect the enemy to try to recapture the place, overland, but this will take some time. In the meantime, I will try to reinforce the base, or evacuate the 1st Raiding by air. The short term objective is to keep the Allies busy here. In the long run, I am undecided whether I want Port Moresby.

April 4th, 1942

Djodjakarta and Semarang fell today. We now hold all the bases in central Java, and there won’t be mountain redoubts holding until late 1942.

In China, Paoshan fell as expected, On to Tsuyung, even though the lack of air cover and supply, and the harassment from air units from Kunming will make this a very long march…

Near Lanchow, the Chinese corps retreated from Sining were defeated and pushed into the mountains. See you in Chungking, guys!

In Central China, we recaptured Pucheng (in Fujian), and are chasing KMT units in this area that seem to block our supply flow between Manchuria and Vietnam. I was a bit careless in this sector. The siege of Changsha has also begun. We have 550 AV in the city, the enemy has more than 2000, but lots of artillery is arriving tomorrow and the day after. I intend to bombard those units to oblivion.

April 5th 1942

We swept Port Blair again,and shot down 21 P-40E and 12 Hurricanes, for 12 Oscars and 8 Zeroes. The 1st AVG and the 17th RAF that used to defend the base a month ago are nowhere to be seen, and three brand new squadrons were rotated in. About a hundred Hurricanes are reported shot down since the beginning of the war, most of them over Port Blair. I believe this corresponds to a significant part of the British fighter arm.

On Sumatra, Padang fell today. We now hold all the bases on the islands, except Sibolga.

In Urumchi, a tank regiment attacked the garrison, which held. Later that day, the garrison tried a counter attack, and hurt themselves. Attacking armor without AT assets is a very bad idea. My infantry has arrived, I will attack tomorrow.

April 6th 1942

In Urumchi, a first day of battle reduced the forts, and damaged the defenders. I doubt the Chinese can do much to prevent the capture of all remaining western bases. Once this happen, I will be very interested to see what happens to the remaining units. With all bases west of Sian in Japanese hands, there is no chance they can trace a supply line, so what happens? They just disappear and never come back? (I’m told units destroyed by attrition don’t respawn).

On Java, the 38th Infantry division captured Merak. The nine units stationed there (including the ABDA HQ) surrendered. The 38th will now pack and be sent to Surabaya, maybe stopping in Tjilatjap on its way.

The fall of Batavia and the destruction of its garrison caused a jump in victory points. Ratio is now 2.5:1. Japan has over 20 000 VP, 12 500 of them permanent (ie corresponding to destroyed enemy units).

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 163
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 8/4/2012 11:53:38 PM   
fcharton

April 7th 1942

We had a bad day over Port Blair today, and lost about 20 fighters to a handful of Hurricanes. The P40E are gone, which seems logical after losing 20 planes two days ago. Two new squadrons have been rotated in. I will wait a few days and attack again. I believe I am replacing my losses faster than the enemy.

Over Buna, our Zeroes successfully ambushed B-26 and P39-D trying to bomb our paras. A marauder and three airacobras went done, for one Zero.

In Koepang, a deliberate attack achieved 1:1 odds for the first time, and reduced the forts to level 2. We are getting there.

In Changsha our artillery is arriving. A first day of bombardment had the following result

Ground combat at Changsha (82,52)
Japanese Bombardment attack
Attacking force 38795 troops, 837 guns, 735 vehicles, Assault Value = 1073
Defending force 73501 troops, 642 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 2094

Japanese ground losses:
101 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled

Allied ground losses:
643 casualties reported
Squads: 14 destroyed, 60 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 9 disabled
Engineers: 4 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 8 (2 destroyed, 6 disabled)

75 squads destroyed or disabled, this is good. More guns are on the way. Meanwhile, two divisions from Shaoyang and Hengyang are marching on Siangtan.

On the road north of Chihkiang, one of our armored recon unit was defeated by a large Chinese force.

Ground combat at 76,47 (near Chungking)
Allied Shock attack
Attacking force 11760 troops, 62 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 514
Defending force 690 troops, 0 guns, 103 vehicles, Assault Value = 58
Allied assault odds: 3 to 1

Japanese ground losses:
Vehicles lost 34 (14 destroyed, 20 disabled)
Units retreated 1

Allied ground losses:
717 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 113 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled

115 squads that will not recover (for lack of supplies) for 35 tanks that will be replaced, is a good trade in my book. I will try to lure those guys forward. I have tanks and infantry waiting for them two hexes away. I would rather fight those units piecemeal, than have all of them stack in Chungking.

Finally, a second day of battle in Urumchi destroyed the forts and eliminated. Tomorrow, or the day after…

April 8th 1942

Not much to report today…

In Changsha, a second day of bombardment only disabled 20 squads. I am trying again tomorrow.
In Siangtan, preliminary bombardment revealed 400 enemy AV, we have two divisions, and a third on her way. We will attack tomorrow.
Between Kweiyang and Tuyun, reinforcements have arrived, we have 2400 AV, against 800 KMT
Another inconclusive attack in Urumchi.

April 9th 1942

Most of the action is taking place in China, right now. On Java, troops are moving towards the two last nests of resistance, Tjilatjap and Surabaya. One Dutch units managed to recapture empty Tjepoe, so we need to attend to that as well. Malaya and Burma are out of supply, and waiting for convoys. New Guinea is waiting for reinforcements.

Between Kweiyang and Tuyun, a first deliberate attack was slightly disappointing, we had 3:1 raw AV ratio, but missed 1:1 adjusted odds. This means I need to rest a day for disruption to fall.

Attacking force 80466 troops, 921 guns, 177 vehicles, Assault Value = 2419
Defending force 29816 troops, 277 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 799
Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2

Japanese ground losses:
2010 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 175 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 15 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 11 disabled
Guns lost 12 (1 destroyed, 11 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1526 casualties reported
Squads: 46 destroyed, 96 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 25 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 9 disabled

In Siangtan, the first day of attack went much better :

Ground combat at Siangtan (81,52)
Attacking force 24797 troops, 214 guns, 111 vehicles, Assault Value = 883
Defending force 19108 troops, 137 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 467
Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1 (fort level 3)
Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 2

Japanese ground losses:
427 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 37 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Allied ground losses:
600 casualties reported
Squads: 7 destroyed, 94 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 13 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Guns lost 12 (2 destroyed, 10 disabled)

2:1 odds at once, forts reduced, this looks pretty good.

In Changsha, the bombardment disabled 30 squads.

Finally, Urumchi fell today. The defenders retreated towards Wasu. My tanks will pursue them. Interestingly, one unit was detected a hex away, on the road from Kashgar. I suspect my opponent wanted to reinforce the base. This might be the last enemy unit in the area.

And with the fall of Urumchi, this AAR has not caught up with the game.

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 164
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 8/5/2012 6:27:48 PM   
fcharton

April 10th, 1942

Starving Doug

The siege of Bataan is one of the lustreless actions in this war. The base was bombed for months by squadrons based on Formosa and Luzon. Our 500 guns there have bombarded the place for weeks, and resistance is crumbling at last.

Enemy flak is less and less efficient, counter battery fire is no more. The enemy is losing a dozen squads a day. Supplies are very low. A convoy from Pescadores has just arrived in Iba, I am resting the troops, waiting for them to be in the green, and I will probably have another deliberate attack. These still prove costly for both sides, but it seems I am recovering my losses, whereas the Allies don’t.

I would like to finish off Luzon in May. I don’t really need the troops there, but I could use the bombers.

Choking Chiang

Siangtan fell today.

Ground combat at Siangtan (81,52)
Attacking force 24519 troops, 214 guns, 111 vehicles, Assault Value = 1299
Defending force 18461 troops, 135 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 395
Japanese assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Siangtan !!!

Japanese ground losses:
466 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 52 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Allied ground losses:
6784 casualties reported
Squads: 270 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 319 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 44 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 26 (17 destroyed, 9 disabled)
Units retreated 8

Changsha is now the only enemy held base in the Hunan basin, and the front now runs a hundred kilometers behind, along a line from Kweiyang to Hengyang. The 2000 AV, 27 units, 15 corps, left in the city are now useless. 17 squads and 4 guns were destroyed today by bombardment, and 32 and 6 were disabled.

I have about 1000 AV in Changsha, and lots of artillery. I am closing the hexsides around the base, and will garrison Siangtan and the other hex across the river (I don’t want to shock attack to capture the hexside). A division should be enough. This will free about 1500 AV for operation in Central China.

The hex between Tuyun and Kweiyang was reinforced, and now has 2700 AV, against 700 enemies. I have more troops moving this way. This is our schwerpunkt. Once it is captured, the road to Kweiyang will be open, and south China (all bases south of Tuyun, mapwise) will be isolated. I am attacking tomorrow.

Here is a map of the situation in China.

The yellow line is the front. Enemy AV are in white, and were estimated by the formula gunsx3, which sort of works for the KMT (before battle). The red arrows are my directions of advance (with the AV committed to them). Red lines are the defensive lines.

Kweiyang is my main objective. Once this base has fallen, South China is cut off from Sichuan. There should be over a thousand AV in south China, and I would rather have them remain there, than join the fray in Chungking. Once Kweiyang is captured, I intend to occupy all the area between Tuyun and Chungking, and cut off both the south and the west from Sichuan.

The division moving west from Paoshan is not really an invasion. I am using it to prevent enemy retreat into Burma, and if possible, to block air supply in Tsuyun. The other division marching north from Lao Cai is meant to increase the threat on Kunming. But if Kweiyang falls, I might cancel the operation and send the guards to Burma instead.

The last axis of advance is from the north, to Kienko. I have 1500 AV there, and the same number on their way from Sining. I don’t think those guys can take Chungking, but they might make it to Chengtu, and capture a good chunk of enemy industry.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by fcharton -- 8/5/2012 6:30:39 PM >

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 165
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 8/7/2012 8:26:28 AM   
fcharton

April 11th 1942

In the air

Another tough day for the Evil Air Force…

Over Port Blair, 15 Hurricanes (10 model IIb, and 5 model I) were shot down. I have lost 22 Zeroes and 6 Oscars today, probably 22 over the Andamans. New RAF squadrons were rotated in.

I am happy with these sweeps. Since the beginning of the war, we shot down about 100 Hurricanes (45 IIb, 32 IIa and 20 I). I understand enemy replacement rates are low (16/month at the moment), and so these losses are probably damaging (100 is about half the total number of Hurricanes in service now).

I have no doubt the allies can, and will, replace these losses. Hurricane production goes up during summer. At some point, they are producing almost 50/ month. But the air battle over the Andamans is gaining me time in Burma. I doubt the British would advance without air support, and the fighters now being shot down over Port Blair are those that should escort bombers over Magwe or Rangoon.

Over Buna, long range patrol intercepted a bombing run. We shot down two Airacobras and sent the B26 home without bombing. In China, we shot down four Blenheims over Paoshan.

The tough part of the day was over Surabaya, where my opponent is doing a good job intercepting my bombers. His P40 sometimes show up, and sometimes don’t. My sweeps seem to miss them all the time, but when he’s up, he never fails to shoot a handful of Nells and Betties. And bombing the airfield seems of little avail.

Overall, we lost 47 planes for 21 enemies. I need to be more careful, for I cannot sustain this long.

On the ground

There is little to report today. Between Kweiyang and Tuyun, another deliberate attack cost us a lot of disablements, but destroyed 134 enemy squads.

Attacking force 93118 troops, 1058 guns, 219 vehicles, Assault Value = 2782
Defending force 28747 troops, 277 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 708
Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2

Japanese ground losses:
3650 casualties reported
Squads: 8 destroyed, 243 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 27 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 26 disabled

Allied ground losses:
1702 casualties reported
Squads: 134 destroyed, 11 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 35 disabled
Guns lost 57 (2 destroyed, 55 disabled)

I need to rest the infantry tomorrow, but the artillery will barrage. I expect AV to be down around 500. Enemy reactions will be interesting to follow. There are six units in Tuyun and seven in Kweiyang. If those include decent infantry, I will see them here in a few days. If the hex is not reinforced, then, I am probably facing all the decent forces he has in the area…

In Changsha, our regular bombardment destroyed 20 squads, disabled 15 more, and cost the Chinese 10 guns. I don’t complain.

Around Urumchi, the separate brigade and the two base forces retreated from the city were defeated by my tank regiment on the road to Wasu. Meanwhile, another unit, probably a separate brigade from Kashgar, arrived in Urumchi. I have 400 AV here, I am foreseeing a bad day for the Allies…

Spring cleaning II: the perimeter, and plans for the year 1942

As in my previous game, I have one unofficial territorial goal: as the proud leader of an evil empire, I would like to hold 666 bases at some point of the game, and keep this number for as long as I can. Right now, I am at 587. Easy captures in Java, Sumatra, Luzon, Timor/Flores, the Gilberts and the Solomon would push the total to 620. China and Papua New Guinea add 35 more, for a total of 655, which means I will probably need a few more islands, or a couple coastal bases in Australia, or a few more in India to reach my evil number. I believe this can be achieved in 1942.

The interesting part of the game will be, of course, to keep this number throughout 1943.

And now for the gory details…

China is my strategic goal. I want to take all of it and destroy the KMT armies. This serves several purposes.

First, once the KMT is gone, China can be forgotten until 1945. Unit will just build defenses to give hell to the soviets, CAP the production centres lest the enemy tries strategic bombing from India, and enjoy the industry (and the VP: finishing China and the KMT gives Japan a lot of points than cannot be taken away. I don’t think the Soviets can take back Chungking, for instance).

Second, battle hardened divisions from the Expeditionary Corps and the Kwantung army can move into Burma, Indochina, and Malaya, relieve the Southern Army, which can then be sent to defend our oversea possessions, and challenge Allied attempts in Burma.

Third, a strategic reserve can be built in Eastern China, ready to be bought away (I am saving most of my PP since the beginning of the game) and sent to reinforce whichever sector of the sea front is not going well. I am seriously considering building up very strong defenses in the Kuriles and Hokkaido, and turning the Marianas into a crazy prospect for the Allies.

Finally, I would like to launch a land offensive into India, probably relatively late in the war (well into 1943). The objective would be to disrupt operations in the Pacific by forcing a war on two fronts (I don’t think the Allies can just “drop” India in 1943.

Of course, these lofty goals can only be achieved if I manage to establish and hold a defensive perimeter in the Pacific and East Indies. I am shooting for a pretty historical, “small” perimeter. All the East Indies, in the South Pacific, the Solomons and the Gilberts. I will not go for the Aleutians, Ceylon, Northern Australia, or New Caledonia and the deep Pacific.

As of now, I am quite close to holding of the perimeter. Sumatra is done, Java almost. I still need to conquer Timor and Flores, but enemy defenses are not very strong. Three areas still stand as “question marks”, the Andamans, Papua New Guinea and the New Hebrides.

The Andamans were a mistake. I should have captured Port Blair in December. Now, I suspect the place has been turned into a redoubt, and taking it would probably involve too much effort. I will try to bomb them, and perhaps dispatch small forces on neighbouring islands, in order to limit enemy influence in the region. I am not sure to which extent holding Port Blair prevents me from using the sea lanes in and out of Rangoon. I have to try this.

As for Port Moresby, I might be wrong, but I don’t much care for it. In fact the Solomons Sea strikes me as a perfect killing ground for whoever tries to advance there. I would be very happy to force a prolonged battle in the jungle around Buna, and make life difficult for the Allies as they try to move towards the northern Solomons or Rabaul. The only problem with this strategy is that it creates a risk to have the Solomons cut off.

Once you hold the Solomons, the new Hebrides are tempting. I believe this is a dangerous prospect. There are just too many places where your lifeline back to Rabaul and Truk can be cut. Unless you use the Gilberts as second line bases, but this means a large building effort.

So, here’s the perimeter, from the Kuriles, to Marcus and Wake, then to the Marshalls and Gilberts, the Solomons, eastern New Guinea, and then Timor, the Indies, Malaysia and Burma.

The conquest phase is almost over now, and I am late on building and garrisoning those bases. In my opinion, this has to be done before September 1942, when the Allies begin to probe Japanese defenses. I realize I need to start with the periphery, and send troops and engineers, and base planes. So, I am staring at the list of units and bases in Tracker, and wondering who goes where.

More about that in the next installment.

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 166
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 8/7/2012 1:07:45 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: fcharton

I understand enemy replacement rates are low (16/month at the moment), and so these losses are probably damaging (100 is about half the total number of Hurricanes in service now).

Not disagreeing with your strategy or tactics, but something that we IJ players overlook is that most of the allied plan production is not from the factories, but from their high rate of arriving replacement groups. As compared to IJ, the allies get a lot of groups and those groups are generally complete with experienced pilots. So, when looking for allied replacement rates factor in not only the production, but also the new group arrivals.

PS: what I mean is that we tend to continually over estimate the impact of the losses on the allies and underestimate their true aircraft reserves.

< Message edited by PaxMondo -- 8/7/2012 1:09:02 PM >

Pax

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 167
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 8/7/2012 1:13:46 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

The tough part of the day was over Surabaya, where my opponent is doing a good job intercepting my bombers. His P40 sometimes show up, and sometimes don’t. My sweeps seem to miss them all the time, but when he’s up, he never fails to shoot a handful of Nells and Betties. And bombing the airfield seems of little avail.

Remember that the SR of the P40 and P39 is 2. He has to rest his groups to keep his aircraft ready. So, I'm pretty sure he is resting/training his groups for 2 days (or so) in between his missions to keep his numbers up. Your sweeps won't catch him in those modes. You're going to have to lay a trap for him and catch him with more numbers and clean him up. As you say, you can't afford those loss ratios, particularly the pilot losses are not sustainable.

Pax

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 168
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 8/7/2012 1:21:14 PM   
PaxMondo

Strategy: Completely agree with your thoughts regarding China and the KMT.  I like going after India as well.  One thing, and this was brought up recently in PH's AAR: what about after China going after Russia?

If China is gone, then there are a lot of units available.  Russia doesn't get reinforcements until '45.  If, and this is a big IF, you can also take Russia out that removes the late war threat to your west side completely.  A very interesting idea.  Even if you fail to completely remove Russia, if they have to start from the far north, it will give you that many more months before they are knocking on the Korean Penninsula door.

Just some thoughts here.  I haven't walked through this completely myself yet ...

Pax

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 169
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 8/9/2012 12:41:57 AM   
fcharton

Hi Pax,

Russia is a very interesting idea. I see two hurdles :

1- an early war in Russia opens airfields in range of the home islands, where US strategic bombers could be based (and this makes historical sense in the context of a collapse of the KMT and a war on two fronts fought by Stalin). I have not checked when the Allies get bombers in large quantities (do keep in mind I am PDU off, and therefore will get outclassed pretty quick in the air, even though this also limits allied squadron conversions), but I am pretty sure that if the allies hold bases in the Russian Far East in 1944, the whole thing will look like a very bad idea... This would suggest an early, short, and victorious war...

2- fighting Russia deals with a late 1945 threat to the Empire. This only makes sense insofar you don't have the British break your front in Burma, and move into China from the south. This suggests you need to fight in BOTH Burma and Russia (or deal with Burma before, but then, if it means attacking Russia in 1944, I am not sure it is such a good idea).

Because of this, I think two questions need to be answered :

1- How many troops do you need to deal with Russia, and make it a quick war? As the war removes the Manchukuo garrison requirement, the IJA will have at least 8000 AV to commit to Russia. More precisely, there are a little less than 30 000 AV in China, and garrison requirements are about 6500. This leaves about 23000 AV to be split between Burma, Russia, and other commitments.
Assuming that all Southern Army troops are sent to defend the Pacific, we have to split between Burma and Russia. I believe you need 8000 in Burma to be on the safe side, which leaves about 14 000 for Russia.
2- What is the schedule? I would believe you need to attack Russia in early 1943, and hope to clear everything by late 43. But another alternative might just be to reinforce Burma, go for India, and then move back for a late attack on Russia (say, late 44, just before Stalin goes in)

I will read Rader's AAR, but I am very interested by this discussion (since we both seem to be interested by those continental strategies).

Francois

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 170
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 8/10/2012 8:30:22 PM   
fcharton

April 12th 1942

Java sweeps

We are now sweeping Surabaya, and have shot down five Warhawks today, for no loss to our squadrons.

On the ground, the allies still hold three bases. Tjepoe was recaptured by a Dutch battalion yesterday. This is my fault, I should have cut their retreat paths. A regiment from Surabaya is on the way, and two tank units will block neighbouring hexes. This one is doomed.

In Tjilatjap, a small force is still holding against an infantry regiment. The forts are almost gone, I am waiting for reinforcements to finish them.

Finally, the enemy has almost 900 AV in Surabaya. One division from Batavia just arrived (it is now unpacking), which will put Japanese forces around 1200 AV. I need a while to take this one out, and have little hope of saving the industry. Well, this will be the proverbial egg the proverbial omelette is made of…

South of Java, the defense of Koepang is crumbling. I probably need another week to finish the base. I am taking my time there, as the Allies do not seem to care about this base. This is a bit suprising: after the strong defense of Ambon, the reinforcement of Koepang, and the partial destruction of Mini-KB, which makes commitment to this area more difficult, I would have expected my opponent to try and reinforce Timor, or bombard my troops. None of this happened, my ships could take their time and unload, my air cover over Koepang never found a single enemy plane.

I believe this suggests Northern Australia was partly abandoned, and the enemy have concentrated their forces on the Australian coast, and the defense of Port Moresby. I need to recon northern Australia and Horn Island. If it is abandoned, I think it might be worth occupying and building bases in the Gulf of Carpentaria.

This way, and assuming the enemy tries to start reconquest in New Guinea and the Solomons (I consider this very likely, given the build up in Noumea and Suva, and the strong defense of Port Moresby), the Allies offensive would need to move from the Solomons, to Rabaul, along the northern coast of new Guinea (past Truk), towards Sorong. This is a pretty long path, exactly what I need.

Big ball in Bataan

We had our second deliberate attack in Bataan today. Despite the forts, the terrain, the leaders, and all that, enemy AV were not adjusted, which means we missed the 1:1 odds by a very small margin.

We lost as many squads and device as the allied, but suffered a lot more disablements. We need to rest before the next one. The good thing is that the Allies will not repair their disablements.

Ground combat at Bataan (78,77)
Attacking force 35289 troops, 464 guns, 240 vehicles, Assault Value = 1111
Defending force 44720 troops, 670 guns, 514 vehicles, Assault Value = 1253
Japanese adjusted assault: 1110
Allied adjusted defense: 1253
Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 3)

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), leaders(+), morale(-), experience(-)
supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
3463 casualties reported
Squads: 24 destroyed, 303 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 53 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 59 disabled
Guns lost 72 (5 destroyed, 67 disabled)
Vehicles lost 67 (13 destroyed, 54 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1348 casualties reported
Squads: 25 destroyed, 67 disabled
Non Combat: 8 destroyed, 51 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 32 disabled
Guns lost 13 (5 destroyed, 8 disabled)
Vehicles lost 5 (1 destroyed, 4 disabled)

I am considering sending another division, from Singapore or Sumatra, to finish the place by the beginning of May. These troops will then be sent to the Bismarck sea.

China as usual

Not much to report there. Bombardment in Changsha is destroying 50 squads every day. The hex between Kweiyang and Tuyun does not seem to be reinforced. I don’t understand why: once this falls, southern China becomes a pocket, and the road to Kunming is wide open.

In Urumchi, the brigade that came all the from Kashgar was defeated. My tanks are marching on Wasu, and will then double back, and go for Kashgar. Once Wasu, Urumchi and Kashgar are gone, all the units in western China will starve and wither.

Real life as a JFB

You cannot spend several hours a day playing turns, thinking about your industry, or that air raid over Port Blair, or the next installment of this AAR, without the Pacific war growing on your real life.

Two weeks ago, my wife brought three hens home. The good thing is that we’ll have eggs soon, the bad thing is that the garden now has the distinct smell of guano. You get used to it, I’m told... But the blessing in disguise was that we got to choose names for the hens, and one of them, the leader (all hen coops apparently have a leader, who eats first, gets the best bunk, and bullies the weak), being all black, with golden braids on her shoulders, looked like a naval officer of a famous evil Empire.

So, dear readers, meet Tojo!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 171
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 8/11/2012 2:41:51 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

Hi Pax,

Russia is a very interesting idea. I see two hurdles :

1- an early war in Russia opens airfields in range of the home islands, where US strategic bombers could be based (and this makes historical sense in the context of a collapse of the KMT and a war on two fronts fought by Stalin). I have not checked when the Allies get bombers in large quantities (do keep in mind I am PDU off, and therefore will get outclassed pretty quick in the air, even though this also limits allied squadron conversions), but I am pretty sure that if the allies hold bases in the Russian Far East in 1944, the whole thing will look like a very bad idea... This would suggest an early, short, and victorious war...

2- fighting Russia deals with a late 1945 threat to the Empire. This only makes sense insofar you don't have the British break your front in Burma, and move into China from the south. This suggests you need to fight in BOTH Burma and Russia (or deal with Burma before, but then, if it means attacking Russia in 1944, I am not sure it is such a good idea).

Because of this, I think two questions need to be answered :

1- How many troops do you need to deal with Russia, and make it a quick war? As the war removes the Manchukuo garrison requirement, the IJA will have at least 8000 AV to commit to Russia. More precisely, there are a little less than 30 000 AV in China, and garrison requirements are about 6500. This leaves about 23000 AV to be split between Burma, Russia, and other commitments.
Assuming that all Southern Army troops are sent to defend the Pacific, we have to split between Burma and Russia. I believe you need 8000 in Burma to be on the safe side, which leaves about 14 000 for Russia.
2- What is the schedule? I would believe you need to attack Russia in early 1943, and hope to clear everything by late 43. But another alternative might just be to reinforce Burma, go for India, and then move back for a late attack on Russia (say, late 44, just before Stalin goes in)

I will read Rader's AAR, but I am very interested by this discussion (since we both seem to be interested by those continental strategies).

Francois

Agree completely with you assessments. As you note, if China is out of the game, you get 23,000AV. I haven't done the troop analysis for Russia, but I doubt they have even 15,000 AV. And your planes are far superior to Russia's.

A key advantage: even if he see's you coming, the allies cannot shift any ground forces until you actually cross the line. If you can cut the supply line quickly up near Chita while taking Vladi ... maybe you have a chance. Will take a lot of analysis. PDU off makes this tough

Pax

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 172
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 8/11/2012 11:33:09 PM   
fcharton

April 13th 1942

Bloody Buna

As you might remember, Buna was captured by the first raiding regiment at the beginning of this month. Since the Allies have reinforced Port Moresby, and have been bombing my boys almost daily, I am expecting a land attack over the Kokoda trail anytime soon. But with about 25 AV in Buna and the Tinas in Rabaul absolutely refusing to load the IJA engineers of the 1st Raiding (why is this so?), the chances of holding this base were low.

So, the Evil Imperial Command ordered a fragment of the 8th SNLF and the 11th Garrison unit, both resting in Cagayan after the fall of Mindanao, to transfer to Buna. This was understood as a risky operation, as we are landing under the nose of enemy fighters and bombers. The goal was to have enough troops and supplies in Buna to hold the base, unless the Australians sent a division or more over the Owen Stanleys.

Well, we landed today, and it was a tough day for the Empire. A handful of enemy bombers were shot down by our fighters from Rabaul, a handful of fighters from Rabaul were destroyed by enemy Kittyhawks, and the bombers made it through the ships. A merchant cruiser is disbanded in sinking condition (but managed to unload before), a transport is damaged, and will probably not survive, but managed to unload a significant part of the 11th Garrison. My cover force, Nagato and a couple of cruisers and destroyers, did a good job in protecting the transports so far, but will retire now (and leave the transports to their sad fate, don’t expect gallantry from evil empires like this one).

At the end of the battle, I believe I should have over 100 AV in Buna. Engineers from the 1st Raiding are two days away, on a fast transport task force (also expendable). I hope this will be enough to withstand a first attack. Then I can reinforce by the air, and try to hold for as long as I can.

This serves a long term purpose. With China my main goal, I want the Allied moves in the Pacific to be slow so that I have time to reinforce my inner perimeter, and a protracted battle in the jungle, at the end of the longest route to reconquest strikes me as the best time waster for the Allies.

Mystery island

I have been careful to capture all the dot bases inside my perimeter, all of them, save one, the tiny island of Kalao, between Macassar and Flores. For some reason, I cannot land on this island. It is still a base, where an airfield can be built, and the perfectionist in me decided that it should not remain under Allied control.

So, today, paras were dropped on Kalao, and captured the base. I wonder whether I can land there now. If I don’t, then the only way out would be to build the airbase to level 1, and transport everything…

Curious place, Kalao…

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 173
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 8/12/2012 1:14:03 AM   
PaxMondo

Never actually taken it myself ... it has always been "auto" captured due to surrounding bases ... maybe there is a glitch with the hex map?

Pax

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 174
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 8/12/2012 11:10:22 AM   
fcharton

April 14th 1942

Bloody Buna, the day after

As ordered, the cover force in Buna retreated, and the transport (HEMS Hakone Maru) managed to unload more troops before it was sunk. This was costly, sixty combat and 120 non combat squads are reported lost, and the 11th garrison unit is very low on support squads. But we have 120 AV in the base, which should be enough to defend against a first attack.

Enemy troops have been detected on the Kokoda trail. I am reconning tomorrow, and will try to bomb them, to delay their arrival.

Engineers from the first raiding should arrive tomorrow. I believe I can have minimal forts by the time the enemy arrives.

Java, down to two

Tjepoe fell today. The enemy is now down to Tjilatjap and Surabaya, where a first deliberate attack was not as successful as I’d wish.

Ground combat at Soerabaja (56,104)
Attacking force 41481 troops, 389 guns, 120 vehicles, Assault Value = 1458
Defending force 29683 troops, 368 guns, 316 vehicles, Assault Value = 949
Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 3
Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2 (fort level 3)

Japanese ground losses:
4750 casualties reported
Squads: 19 destroyed, 323 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 22 disabled
Engineers: 6 destroyed, 41 disabled
Guns lost 27 (2 destroyed, 25 disabled)
Vehicles lost 9 (1 destroyed, 8 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
569 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 58 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 12 disabled
Engineers: 6 destroyed, 14 disabled
Guns lost 17 (8 destroyed, 9 disabled)

I don’t complain, though. That level four fort will not come back.

My troops in Tjilatjap are waiting for reinforcements, which should arrive in three days. Then, everyone will move to Surabaya. I believe Java will be all Japanese by the end of April.

Second Front

In China, the bombardment of Kienko has begun. Two divisions and two tank regiments are marching on the base, and should attack it across the river in three days. Another division is one day behind, and then more tanks, and several more are between Lanchow and Sian. Overall, I should have about 2500 AV in the Sichuan basin by the end of the month.

Only six units and 90 guns are reported in the city. I believe I can take it.

In central China, deliberate attacks are reducing the enemy. Between Tuyun and Kweiyang, the eight units that once sported more than 900 AV are now under 600, and lost 85 more squads today. We are destroying a little more than 100 combat squads every day. At about 1 AV point per valid squad, this means the Chinese have much less than 8000 AV left overall, probably around four or five thousand.

Thinking about Russia

I had a quick look at Soviet forces in the game. Russia begins the game with about 13 500 AV deployed, but, like the Chinese, those units are partly disabled at game start; and their actual strength is probably closer to 17 000 AV. That makes the Soviet Army slightly smaller than the Chinese.

Reinforcements represent 5 000 AV in 1942, 3000 in 1943 and 300 AV in 1944… and 15 500 AV in 1945. Replacements rates are a little better than the Chinese, but not by much. This suggests that if Russia is to be attacked late in 1942 (or in 1943), we don’t need to bother about reinforcements until 1945. It also means a late campaign in Russia is probably doable.

The supply situation is very interesting. They start with large stockpiles, about half a million tons of supplies, half of them in Vladivostok. But Soviet production is low. They get 4000 tons automatic supply in their off map capital, have 1400 light industries there, for a grand total of 5400 tons off map, if they can feed the factories, and have less than 1000 factories on the continent. This means Soviet Union gets between 5000 and 6000 tons of supply every day, throughout the war (I had a look at the editor, and it does not seem this can be changed as the war progresses).

Now, this might be the reason why attacking Russia is a sensible idea. 5000 tons of supplies per day is not enough for the Soviet to wage a large scale campaign in Manchuria in 1945, unless, of course, they have a million tons, patiently hoarded throughout the war. Maybe the real objective of a Russian campaign is the destruction of their supply stocks, and the capture of some large resource centres?

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 175
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 8/12/2012 1:13:53 PM   
PaxMondo

I think the real reason to attack SOV prior to '45 is simply to take them out of the game and along with China, completely secure the western front for IJ.  If you can drive them off the  map, their air force cannot be used against you until they take an on map base: a daunting proposition facing an IJ base that will have air.  The allies can force a landing in SOV, but that is like landing in Hokkaido ... something that the IJ is alsready defending against.  And even if the allies land in SOV, it is a long drive to free up the SOV front.

So essentially, taking SOV means you are facing some 15K less AV in '45.  A good thing, neh?

The SOV, like the rest of the allies, has a fair number of units that have to be withdrawn.  Are your numbers above net withdrawals or gross reinforcements?   Also, the reinforcements include a lot of REALLY good armor units.  Ones that the IJ cannot compete against in clear terrain.

Finally, I don't think we have ever seen an off  "map edge" attack ... having a player trying to get back on map from off-map.  No idea how that might happen ....

Pax

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 176
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 8/12/2012 8:55:34 PM   
fcharton

April 15th 1942

Port Blair

Another series of sweeps from Bangkok shot down nine Hurricanes, for six Oscars. As of today, we are claiming 74 Hurricane IIb, 34 Hurricane IIa and 24 Hurricane I. I understand the Allies get two squadrons of I, two of IIa and five of IIb, all with 16 planes (and probably four more reserve). That amounts to about 180 planes, plus 16 IIb replacements per month since January, or about 50 more.

If the reports are to be trusted (my experience is that they tend to be roughly right, as they tend to overestimate kills, but underestimate ops losses), 130 out of 230 Hurricanes are now out of the game. I am not there yet, but there is hope.

The more I think of Port Blair, the more I believe it is a wrong move by the Allies. Those planes now fighting to deny that island will be missing when the Allies attack Burma, and the longer Burma is delayed, the more troops I will be able to bring from China.

Buna

The gallant minelayer that brought engineers to the base was sunk today. I have 120 AV in town, and one unit (the raiding regiment) with very high experience and morale.

I bomb-recced the Kokoda trail (what a strange approach to intelligence). We apparently have the Lark Battalion and an independent company, nowhere near enough, I’m afraid.

I have been neglecting South Pacific, so far. The Battle for Buna is the perfect occasion to correct this. An Air HQ from the Marshalls is on its way, together with several air units, and a few infantry units.

Java

The Dutch and British defenders of Surabaya, probably elated by our failed attack yesterday, tried to shock attack today. Now, this was a bad idea if I ever saw one.

Ground combat at Soerabaja (56,104)
Allied Shock attack
Attacking force 24827 troops, 356 guns, 318 vehicles, Assault Value = 887
Defending force 38266 troops, 387 guns, 119 vehicles, Assault Value = 1141
Allied assault odds: 1 to 2

Japanese ground losses:
1803 casualties reported
Squads: 4 destroyed, 155 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 20 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 12 disabled
Guns lost 28 (5 destroyed, 23 disabled)
Vehicles lost 9 (1 destroyed, 8 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
4765 casualties reported
Squads: 183 destroyed, 187 disabled
Non Combat: 14 destroyed, 129 disabled
Engineers: 8 destroyed, 20 disabled
Guns lost 74 (28 destroyed, 46 disabled)
Vehicles lost 72 (8 destroyed, 64 disabled)

China

Wasu fell today. On to Kashgar, and we will be done with north and west China.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 177
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 8/20/2012 6:08:46 PM   
fcharton

I am on holidays this week, so here's an old AAR update. The game will probably resume next week, and reports will follow in short order.

Since holidays are the time of the year when I read, here are two book recommendations, both stories of educated young frenchmen, who had the misfortune to be born in the 1890s. I suspect they mirror stories from young americans born in the early 1840s...

The comedy of Charleroi, by Pierre Drieu La Rochelle. The best war stories ever, IMHO, which cover the whole war in a few short stories.
Neath Verdun, by Maurice Genevoix, a series of 4 books, Verdun before Verdun.

Grunt stuff, both, of interest to wargamers, I believe, as it displays wars as we don't fight them...

April 16th 1942

Mostly Chinese

D-1 in Kienko. I am bombing with every plane I have. No reinforcements have been detected, so we are probably up against six units, and a hundred guns. That should amount to 1100 AV, with tanks and battle hardened infantry, against a few hundred (less than three if my “gun times three” method is to be trusted), probably behind forts, but probably unsupplied, too.

This is a very important battle, as the fall of Kienko will probably seal the fate of Neikiang and Chengtu (I doubt my opponent will split his forces and risk losing Chungking). And Chengtu is a very large industrial center.

In the Southwest, we crossed the river into the mountains, two hexes from Tsuyung, and chased the defenders away. The enemy bombardment that slowed our advance have stopped, maybe we are out of Blenheim range. We should be in Tsuyung in about ten days. I expect this base to be reinforced (by troops from Kunming). Meanwhile, the 4th Guard Division is marching north, from Lao Cai, and should reach Mengtze at the beginning of May.

In central China, another attack between Kweiyang and Tuyun destroyed 54 enemy squads and 27 guns. Enemy AV was below 550 before combat, and is probably under 500 now. This is the end, I believe.

Finally, north of Amoy, an independent brigade has done a good job shepherding a mixed set of Chinese units from Pucheng to Kanghsien. This frees the roads between Shanghai and Canton for supply movement, and puts pressure on Kukong.

1000 combat squads were destroyed over the last seven days, and the total is now over 25 000. This means the KMT probably has less than 10 000 squads left. Assuming half of them disabled, and one AV per valid squad, total KMT forces would probably run below 5000 AV. Now, 2000 are surrounded in Changsha, and 500 are getting beaten in Kweiyang as we talk. There is probably about 1000 in southern China (from Kukong to Tuyun), which leaves 1500 in Sichuan and around.

This is perhaps the most important aspect of the war in China. Grabbing territory, capturing bases, and denying industry to your opponent is fine, but I don’t think you can take Chungking in a reasonable amount of time if the enemy can concentrate large numbers there (and reinforce).

< Message edited by fcharton -- 8/20/2012 8:33:04 PM >

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 178
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 8/22/2012 12:47:17 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

This is perhaps the most important aspect of the war in China. Grabbing territory, capturing bases, and denying industry to your opponent is fine, but I don’t think you can take Chungking in a reasonable amount of time if the enemy can concentrate large numbers there (and reinforce).

(emphasis added above)

Agreed, IF they do. Very big two letter word there though.

Many (most?) allied players don't though. They get greedy and try to hold onto Xian and transfer troops there that then get mauled. So then, they are trying to retreat back into Chungking with highly disrupted troops that are mostly disabled to boot. These troops won't hold in defense, even though there are 20 corps there, the effective AV is quite low and they take blistering losses.

At least that's what I've seen in my play and in quite a few recent AAR's.

Pax

(in reply to fcharton)
Post #: 179
RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) - 8/23/2012 11:00:26 AM   
fcharton

Still on holiday, not enough free time to play a turn, but trying to catch up with the AAR…

April 17th, 1942

Air HQs

With Sumatra done, Java almost conquered, Koepang about to fall, Borneo, the Celebes, the Moluccas, happily co-prosperous forever, and Port Blair and Port Moresby emerging as two contested spots, I have been wondering about the placement of my Air HQ, and future air bases.

I had three Air HQs in the Indies: one in Singkawang, one in Singapore, and one in Balikpapan. The plan was to move the one from Singapore to Georgetown (it has a 4 hex radius, and basing it in Georgetown allows many bases in Northern Sumatra and Malaysia to benefit from it), transfer the one from Singkawang to Singapore (as read area support, it would probably be sent elsewhere later), and to ferry the one from Balikpapan to Macassar, to be repositioned in Koepang once the base fell. Another one, from the Gilberts, is on its way to Rabaul.

Many air support units are on their way too, towards Rabaul and Manus, but also smaller bases in the South Pacific, and northern Sumatra. I am planning to rebase a lot of fighters in those disputed areas. I have quite a few squadrons I can transfer from China, where enemy opposition is almost absent, and I suspect my opponent will soon try to launch bombing raids.

All this would be perfect if… one of my Air HQ hadn’t been torpedoed in the straits of Macassar. I will get it back in a month or so, but still.

Kienko...

…fell on the first attempt.

Ground combat at Kienko (78,41)
Japanese Shock attack
Attacking force 27931 troops, 220 guns, 391 vehicles, Assault Value = 1109
Defending force 16990 troops, 86 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 670
Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 0
Japanese adjusted assault: 1015
Allied adjusted defense: 145
Japanese assault odds: 7 to 1 (fort level 0)
Japanese forces CAPTURE Kienko !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
477 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 47 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 9 disabled
Vehicles lost 38 (1 destroyed, 37 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
5464 casualties reported
Squads: 183 destroyed, 120 disabled
Non Combat: 264 destroyed, 120 disabled
Engineers: 44 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 14 (6 destroyed, 8 disabled)
Units retreated 6

I was quite surprised by the Chinese AV there: 670 is a lot at this point of the game, and this suggests the KMT is very thin on the ground in Chungking (which proves your point, Pax). I will pursue and try to finish those guys off: there is no reason to let 300 AV retreat into Chungking in good order. I was also surprised by the very low adjusted AV, this suggests a very bad supply situation.

But rejoice, we have a base in Sichuan. Our next objective is the north south road in the middle of the plains, to isolate Chengtu, then Chengtu and Neikiang. Reconnaissance reports light garrisons in both bases. Chungking sports 50 units and over 500 guns, but a lot of those must be the troops damaged in Sian, so it is quite possible that AV actually are pretty low.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Perfection, of a kind, spence (A) vs fcharton (J) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI