Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/30/2012 4:24:57 PM   
vicberg

I have to add to this. This game is getting a bit frustrating for me because I haven't muled at all. Turns 5-10 are critical for the Germans, the exact time that supply is a challenge. They have to isolate soviet units or push the Soviets into indefensible situations with armor fists or it becomes a snowball affect against the Germans where they face more Soviet units in defense, many set to reserve mode (and I would doubt that reserves suffer attrition for participating in the battle thought they are next to the enemy for combat and I wonder how much reserve mode CV is modified though they force marched up to 60 miles to the battle in some cases) and that slows the offensive even further.

I wouldn't mind the more intense fighting it if I didn't know what was coming down the road. I'm going to lose at least 1 - 1.5 million men during the blizzard. My forces will be severly depleted going into 42. The soviet OOB will continue to grow because I haven't done enough damage to soviet production or to the red army and there will be lines and lines of units in the front and in reserve mode in the back, making the 42 offensive difficult if not a waste.

The flip side is if I'm able to isolate or place the soviets into indefensible situations, which is what Pelton and Michaelt do consistently starting from turn 3 on through end of the 41 campaign season. The soviets have less troops, more difficult times establishing solid defense lines, allowing for holes to open for the Germans to further isolate or exploit. In other words, muling allows the germans to keep the soviets on their heels and that is a requirement for a good 42 campaign season.

< Message edited by vicberg -- 3/30/2012 4:32:27 PM >

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 61
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/30/2012 4:46:39 PM   
Flaviusx

Vicberg, you do not need to mule in order to do well as the Axis. A good and highly experienced Axis player can easily duplicate the historical 1941 advance with Leningrad thrown in as a bonus. This is practically standard by now. Admittedly Soviet players are steeping up their game now that they've figured out reserves (but I also expect Axis blizzard play to improve for the same reason, along with the late war in general as a result of this.)

What muling lets you do is go beyond that and quite possibly end the game in 1941.

Sillyflower, I'm genuinely worried that more and more people will do this as time goes on. Folks like Scott or James or by your own admission yourself are perfectly capable of figuring it out and applying it. The only thing stopping you or them is the same thing that stops me from making 20 hex para drops -- it offends our sense of historicity. We know it's cheese.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 3/30/2012 4:47:26 PM >

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 62
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/30/2012 5:25:03 PM   
sillyflower

quote:

ORIGINAL: vicberg

I have to add to this. This game is getting a bit frustrating for me because I haven't muled at all. Turns 5-10 are critical for the Germans, the exact time that supply is a challenge. They have to isolate soviet units or push the Soviets into indefensible situations with armor fists or it becomes a snowball affect against the Germans where they face more Soviet units in defense, many set to reserve mode (and I would doubt that reserves suffer attrition for participating in the battle thought they are next to the enemy for combat and I wonder how much reserve mode CV is modified though they force marched up to 60 miles to the battle in some cases) and that slows the offensive even further.

I wouldn't mind the more intense fighting it if I didn't know what was coming down the road. I'm going to lose at least 1 - 1.5 million men during the blizzard. My forces will be severly depleted going into 42. The soviet OOB will continue to grow because I haven't done enough damage to soviet production or to the red army and there will be lines and lines of units in the front and in reserve mode in the back, making the 42 offensive difficult if not a waste.

The flip side is if I'm able to isolate or place the soviets into indefensible situations, which is what Pelton and Michaelt do consistently starting from turn 3 on through end of the 41 campaign season. The soviets have less troops, more difficult times establishing solid defense lines, allowing for holes to open for the Germans to further isolate or exploit. In other words, muling allows the germans to keep the soviets on their heels and that is a requirement for a good 42 campaign season.

Vicberg: You can do all this without muling or even HQ build up for the 1st few turns. Gerans have to get the start right and max kills on russian units. That prevents defence being too strong. In any event, supplies towards L and M are less of a problem than historically. The other thing you have to do is to get the infantry up ASAP as that is how you kill Russians.

Your blizzard losses should not be 1-1.5M or close but that does in part mean killing enough russian units first.

@ Flavius -what stops me doing 20 hex paradrops is that I still haven't looked up how to do them. I'm also not clear what good they will do me other than to give Jerry something to kill. Then there is the cheese factor. However, at least I expect it would have been techinically (as opposed to morally which was not Stalin's biggest concern) feasible with total air superiority which is more than can be said for these supplies tactics. Otherwise, Germans would presumably have tried something like that. Sadly for them they did not have thousands of spare trains, lorries and drivers waiting around just in case they got the build up call. There was simply no significant spare capacity in the system. Even the western allies could not do it for Monty and Patton - it was always 1 or the other - and logistics has always been an american strength.

My expectation is that people will simply not want to play Russians against those tactics. If they do, it's up to them. As long as the German player is upfront about it, then we have 2 consenting adults even if only 1 of whom is likely to be satisfied. If it was widely regarded as acceptable I think more people would be doing it already. If I'm wrong it will enable me to catch up on some other games.

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 63
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/30/2012 5:33:41 PM   
vicberg

Flav, this is exactly the point. Historical advance isn't good enough based on the current production model. The soviet production is too overwhelming and in combination with reserve mode, makes 42 a waste. I did a "historical" advance against cheerfully insane and faced 8 million men in 42. Hmmmm.....over double my OOB. 4 lines of defense, with lines 2-4 all in reserve mode. Spent 8 turns trying to make ANY progress and gave up.

The reserve mode, which people are finally starting to recognize, is too powerful, IMO. Reserves don't commit if the battle is overwhelming. Since the nearest reserve is 10 miles away up to 60 miles away, how does a commander know that the battle isn't worth reserves? A commander doesn't have time to make that choice. Strikes me as being a bit too omniscient. And I highly doubt that reservers suffer attrition for joining the battle or have their CV significantly modified if moving long distances to join the battle.

So the combo of soviet production and reserve mode blows the game out of the water if the German doesn't keep the soviet on it's heels. Does that lead to winning the game outright? Sure, when the opponents aren't evenly matched. But evenly matched, muling is a requirement otherwise the game is blown by 42.

If there's tactics I could be doing without muling to keep the game competitive into 42, by all means, please let me know.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 64
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/30/2012 5:41:13 PM   
vicberg

Sillyflower - that's exactly what I do. I leave skeletons around the pockets and move infanty through gaps and up to the front as fast as I can.

But I feel like I'm playing a different game than you. Routing Soviet units isn't enough as they come back. I need to isolate Soviet units and requires panzer running on full tanks. I smashed two Soviet armies against cheerfully insane. He had to pull them off the line to rebuild. Did it make a difference? Not really, he maintained his defense in depth, using reserve mode extensively, and that stopped me cold.

Only with full tanks in panzers can I make progress against that type of defense, otherwise I'm facing 8 million men and multiple layers of units in reserve mode.

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 65
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/30/2012 5:44:33 PM   
Schmart

quote:

The extreme Soviet manpower and production capabilities that leads to 8 million man army in 42 forces the Germans into extreme measures of mulling in order to overcome. Get two equal players and the game is matched as is. Get one player better than the other and the game becomes lopsided quite quickly because the game IS extreme.

I think Russian manpower multiplyers were reduced so that we don't see this as often? Maybe 6 million (7 million tops?).

Also, I think it works a bit both ways. My impression is that games tend to be light on casualties. I regularly see AARs (and my own games) with German strength consistently above 3 million, and a few even above 4 million. IIRC, after starting with over 3 million and quickly dropping, the Germans didn't get back above 3 million until for a brief time in mid-1943, and it was downhill from there. I believe the Russians historically maxed out at around 6 million.

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 66
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/30/2012 5:45:33 PM   
glvaca

quote:

Sillyflower - that's exactly what I do. I leave skeletons around the pockets and move infanty through gaps and up to the front as fast as I can.

But I feel like I'm playing a different game than you. Routing Soviet units isn't enough as they come back. I need to isolate Soviet units and requires panzer running on full tanks. I smashed two Soviet armies against cheerfully insane. He had to pull them off the line to rebuild. Did it make a difference? Not really, he maintained his defense in depth, using reserve mode extensively, and that stopped me cold.

Only with full tanks in panzers can I make progress against that type of defense, otherwise I'm facing 8 million men and multiple layers of units in reserve mode.

Perhaps you should look at my AAR in depth, here's a German who knows how it's done. And we agreed to no muling.
He has his own AAR, where he said he would note when and where he did a HQ buildup.

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 67
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/30/2012 5:48:57 PM   
glvaca

by the way, just quickly looking at your latest AAR as the German, compare your ending positions on turn 2, with his ending on turn 2.

Keep in mind, there's not much you can actually do as the Russian after turn 1 to really influence the results. It's all about speed, concentration of power, and execution.

IF the german is fast enough, the Russian simply won't have the units for 2, let alone 3 or 4 rows of divisions in reserve.

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 68
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/30/2012 5:49:32 PM   
Flaviusx

In game strength returns for both sides are inflated by including in the totals a lot of stuff which I don't think the usual historical returns do. HQs and airbases in particular (and their manpower totals as expressed in the game always seemed to me suspiciously high.) So you have to take that 3.5 million man in game German army with a grain of salt. Ditto for the Red Army.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Schmart)
Post #: 69
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/30/2012 6:23:40 PM   
karonagames

quote:

If there's tactics I could be doing without muling to keep the game competitive into 42, by all means, please let me know.

I have found the best tactic when I start getting frustrated with an aspect of the game, is take a break, and then figure out the ways and means of overcoming the thing that is making me frustrated.

I am not an expert, as I have only played 2 41 GC's as the axis that have got beyond t60, and my opponents have used very different strategies, which luckily for me, played into the hands of the strategies I was using. In the first game the sovs fought forward and allowed me to grind with infantry and encircle with panzers, the next game was against a runaway who avoided encirclement like the plague and who conserved his forces, but he made a mistake that game me Moscow.

I used HQB 5-6 times in both games, and I have not used the muling technique. In the first game,I faced a 4m strong red army during the blizzard, and March Madness applied, so gave me a good 1942 starting position which enabled me to get Moscow and force a surrender. In the second, I faced a 5.2m red Army during the blizzard and no March Madness so started 42 facing the 4deep reserve-loaded blanket of about 6m men.

I basically kept prodding and probing the blanket with grinding infantry attacks backed up with motorised units in offensive reserve mode, this produced favourable casualty ratios without gaining much ground, until eventually a crack appeared that I pounced on, which has now allowed me to get to the gates of Stalingrad by T67 and well on the road to Baku.

Whether this would work against an 8m blanket, I don't know, but I do know from my 1942/1943 tests that a 2.5m German army can still hold up an 8m Red Army, but it needs reserve mode to do it, so you won't see me supporting any changes to this rule.

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 70
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/30/2012 6:31:55 PM   
vicberg

quote:

IF the german is fast enough, the Russian simply won't have the units for 2, let alone 3 or 4 rows of divisions in reserve.

I have to disagree. Glvaca, with all due respect you've been fighting a very forward defense which plays into his hands. The further forward you decide to fight, the better will be his supply situation. You had a LOT of units in the Crimea and a number still defending the Denpr (both north and south) after he crossed elsewhere. Once the landbridge in the north is breached or the denpr is cross anywhere in the south, I have seen many a soviet opponent pull far back because these spots become untenable. You didn't do that. SJ80's rail lines are still way back there in the south. If you were to pull back, far, in the south, you'll see his panzers on fumes. You could have avoided these encirclements entirely.

After I post my turn 11 with Viktor, check out what he's doing. He has small hedgehog all along the south. He just wants to slow me down. He's probably already railed out all the arms and factories. So he has a minimal committment in the south and a very strong in in the north. I'm lucky to push 2 or 3 hexes in the north, but I'm doing it at high cost to my panzers, and there's still a chance for Moscow. I never posted my game with cheerfully insane and I wish I did. He did pickets in the first few turns then started his defense in depth. He didn't care a BIT about terrain but maintained solid lines running from Moscow down to Kursk/Stalino. I mean absolutely straight. If I pushed 2 or 3 hexes into his lines, he retreated ALL of his lines 2 or 3 hexes. He didn't care about cities, rivers, nothing. I couldn't isolate or do nearly enough damage. I'd like another crack at that defense because I believe I can do more damage to it, but it was quite affective. It all comes down to playing style.

I will say that I'm probably focusing my panzer too far into the wooded north and that the best route for isolation or mosow is from the clear terrain to the south of Smolensk, however, in comparing my game to SJ80, we are about at the same physical locations on the map. The difference is that I've had to do a number of small pockets vs. the larger encirclements that SJ80 has been doing. Overall, it looks like we are at similar places in terms of isolated units, though he probably has a handful more than me.

However, I can tell you right now, barring a disaster during winter, that I'll be facing LOTS of troops all in reserve mode in 42. It won't be pretty and there will be minimal chance for a good campaign. I simply haven't destroyed enough of his units.

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 71
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/30/2012 6:33:29 PM   
vicberg

quote:

I basically kept prodding and probing the blanket with grinding infantry attacks backed up with motorised units in offensive reserve mode, this produced favourable casualty ratios without gaining much ground, until eventually a crack appeared that I pounced on, which has now allowed me to get to the gates of Stalingrad by T67 and well on the road to Baku.

Offensive reserves is something I've started experimenting with. I'll try that.

(in reply to karonagames)
Post #: 72
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/30/2012 7:11:49 PM   
Flaviusx

Glvaca, Vicberg does a have point about your defense in the south. It really is a bit too far forward.

Once the Germans cross the Dnepr in strength the Ukraine is more or less indefensible. You have to keep backing into what I refer to as the logistical deadzone. This is the area where buildups cannot be done -- the game provides you perfect intelligence regarding distance from railheads, so you can easily calculate what is eligible for buildups and where. Your main line of resistance should be located in this area, and be gradually withdrawn as the Axis supply advances. Anything forward of that is merely for screening/attrition purposes.

This provides you with the balance of forces necessary to fight it out up north where the Germans can push their supply lines well forward and you have less space to give up, but much better terrain.

Your evac probably needs some refinement, too. I don't evacuate anything west of the Dnepr and start right away with the big juicy targets. Kharkov is generally my third evacuation site (after Leningrad and Poltava.) The idea here is that you don't want to have all that stuff exposed when the Axis cross the Dnepr around turn 6. Your rail cap won't keep up with it. So you write off everything far forward and start working immediately on the big stuff.

By turn 10 or so you can strip the entire southern factory complex up to Voronezh and Rostov.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 3/30/2012 7:13:47 PM >

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 73
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/30/2012 7:40:36 PM   
vicberg

Flaviusx is right on the money. That's exactly what Viktor just did. He held the southern Denpr in strength long enough to evac his production and then moved most of his troops to the north.

BigAnorak. You are advocating a war of attrition across the front. That's an interesting idea against a blanket. I'll see if that works better.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 74
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/30/2012 7:46:53 PM   
karonagames

quote:

You are advocating a war of attrition across the front. That's an interesting idea against a blanket. I'll see if that works better.

My strategy is based on moving to the defensive only if my total german manpower; frontline and in the pools goes below 3.3m. So far it has stayed above:

Situation T54:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BigAnorak -- 3/30/2012 7:50:08 PM >

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 75
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/30/2012 7:48:03 PM   
karonagames

T66:

Patience and probing for cracks was the answer for me:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 76
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/30/2012 7:55:10 PM   
vicberg

Wow! That's a blanket alright and you've managed to push it to the edge of the map. Ok. I can see a case now for no muling.

Post #: 77
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/30/2012 8:02:16 PM   
karonagames

quote:

I can see a case now for no muling.

I haven't used HQ build up in 1942 either, hence the stupid number of vehicles in my pool.

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 78
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/30/2012 9:28:02 PM   
glvaca

quote:

quote:

I have to disagree. Glvaca, with all due respect you've been fighting a very forward defense which plays into his hands. The further forward you decide to fight, the better will be his supply situation. You had a LOT of units in the Crimea and a number still defending the Denpr (both north and south) after he crossed elsewhere. Once the landbridge in the north is breached or the denpr is cross anywhere in the south, I have seen many a soviet opponent pull far back because these spots become untenable. You didn't do that. SJ80's rail lines are still way back there in the south. If you were to pull back, far, in the south, you'll see his panzers on fumes. You could have avoided these encirclements entirely.

After I post my turn 11 with Viktor, check out what he's doing. He has small hedgehog all along the south. He just wants to slow me down. He's probably already railed out all the arms and factories. So he has a minimal committment in the south and a very strong in in the north. I'm lucky to push 2 or 3 hexes in the north, but I'm doing it at high cost to my panzers, and there's still a chance for Moscow. I never posted my game with cheerfully insane and I wish I did. He did pickets in the first few turns then started his defense in depth. He didn't care a BIT about terrain but maintained solid lines running from Moscow down to Kursk/Stalino. I mean absolutely straight. If I pushed 2 or 3 hexes into his lines, he retreated ALL of his lines 2 or 3 hexes. He didn't care about cities, rivers, nothing. I couldn't isolate or do nearly enough damage. I'd like another crack at that defense because I believe I can do more damage to it, but it was quite affective. It all comes down to playing style.

I will say that I'm probably focusing my panzer too far into the wooded north and that the best route for isolation or mosow is from the clear terrain to the south of Smolensk, however, in comparing my game to SJ80, we are about at the same physical locations on the map. The difference is that I've had to do a number of small pockets vs. the larger encirclements that SJ80 has been doing. Overall, it looks like we are at similar places in terms of isolated units, though he probably has a handful more than me.

However, I can tell you right now, barring a disaster during winter, that I'll be facing LOTS of troops all in reserve mode in 42. It won't be pretty and there will be minimal chance for a good campaign. I simply haven't destroyed enough of his units.

M8, I have never lost as the German, and have always managed to take Moscow, Leningrad, Kharkov and Rostov. I do about 3 buildup per game, sometimes more, sometimes less.

As to my AAR, I'm not going to run like a rabit East of the Dnepr because I don't want to give the german masses of space to retreat come Blizzard if I can help it. The reason I don't _HAVE_ to run East of the Dnepr is because I ran West of the Dnepr. That's the whole point of not fighting West of the Dnepr, because it's too close to his supply lines, etc... East of the Dnepr, that's a completely different thing, and I don't think he has ever been in a position to do a buildup in the South because of RR lagging behind. He's been fighting 25+ distance from RR heads AND still he has 30+ movement points to spend, repeatedly. As I said in my AAR repeatedly, without reaction, he uses air supply a lot, but doesn't drop on units but on his HQ's. That seems to be his secret. It seems to be VERY efficient because he's not muling and he can't have done HQ buildups as his RR are to far behind.

Now, the largest pocket thusfar in the AAR have been 10 Divs. at a time, that's nothing to complete fronts at a time I managed myself.

Now to come back to your turn 2 versus SJ80's turn 2, or turn 7 if you like, if you can't see the difference than I'll stop trying to help you here. He's focussed, he's aggressive, and he's flexible. You're spread out, haven't figured out that it's the infantry that will do the heavy lifting when you meet such a line, and you're slow. Sorry if that's blunt.

Now as too reserves, they are nice, and I've had a lot of units on and off on reserves but they have to commit for 1, and he needs to attack where you have reserves. that's 2. Thirdly, when the German is really pushing you and keeping you off balance, you'll be moving units constantly to plug gaps, they will not have all that much movement left to go on reserve. Lastly, if your units get beat up, they need to go on refit to replace losses, so they can't be on reserve.

You're on the wrong path, open your mind, you're not doing things right.

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 79
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/30/2012 9:33:35 PM   
glvaca

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

Glvaca, Vicberg does a have point about your defense in the south. It really is a bit too far forward.

Once the Germans cross the Dnepr in strength the Ukraine is more or less indefensible. You have to keep backing into what I refer to as the logistical deadzone. This is the area where buildups cannot be done -- the game provides you perfect intelligence regarding distance from railheads, so you can easily calculate what is eligible for buildups and where. Your main line of resistance should be located in this area, and be gradually withdrawn as the Axis supply advances. Anything forward of that is merely for screening/attrition purposes.

This provides you with the balance of forces necessary to fight it out up north where the Germans can push their supply lines well forward and you have less space to give up, but much better terrain.

Your evac probably needs some refinement, too. I don't evacuate anything west of the Dnepr and start right away with the big juicy targets. Kharkov is generally my third evacuation site (after Leningrad and Poltava.) The idea here is that you don't want to have all that stuff exposed when the Axis cross the Dnepr around turn 6. Your rail cap won't keep up with it. So you write off everything far forward and start working immediately on the big stuff.

By turn 10 or so you can strip the entire southern factory complex up to Voronezh and Rostov.

Indeed I can improve many things in my game but I refuse to just run and run, I want him to pay for getting that turf even if I have to pay myself. Besides, I want to keep Moscow, and running away won't help with that, just on the contrary.

On the evec side of things, yes, I have made mistakes, like for example doing evac of HI, which is also the reason I still have ARMS in Kharkov etc...
I did not appreciate at that time that they are completely useless in the game, which is also a big dissapoitment.

Again, I run West of the Dnepr and fight East, it has served me well over the last games, and if I can hold on the Rostov, I'll consider the campaign a success. The farther West of Rostov the better.

Leningrad cannjot be held against the commitment of an extra Pz Corps, Inf Corps and all the reinforcements that he can get there. And especially not against an aggressive fast moving German, it's just not in the cards.

Moscow can be held, and I have pillaged the South constantly to shore up my defences there.

But that's not the point. My point is, I can get to Moscow in 1941 and beyond without muling. I've done it several times, screenshots are available.

< Message edited by glvaca -- 3/30/2012 9:36:24 PM >

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 80
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/30/2012 9:37:08 PM   
Flaviusx

I didn't realize he was already in the dead zone and using air supply to get the job done.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 81
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/30/2012 10:23:51 PM   
gids

i think i played against a player and im not sure it was michael ,fact is it was one of the few times i gave up a game as  russian player,whatever i did there was no stopping to it nor halting it ,im pretty sure that player would have taken Stalingrad in 41 :p, it was pretty amazing to see and dishartening aswell ,you wont stop a good german player anymore taking leningrad and moscou in 41 and he will take a good chunk of industry aswell :p,i dont expect historical results but  i Rarely till never succeed to keep any of the main cities except if i play against total new people,russian players dont have the tools till 44 against good players  ,am i a bad player i dont know but i did try every defense now,forward ,carpet ,line .... and theres 1 constant factor you get punished til 43 .....playing russias is like flogging yourself  and the only reason i do it is because i like to play the underdog :p,i would love some more random options in settings before you play,because now the first 3 turns  are like scripted almost ,and i still dont think the russians were that bad in WW2 their officers more or less sucked badass with a few exceptions but you dont see the russian tenacity to keep ground and fight back  in the game,the airforce of 10000 planes of russia in 44 is practically still ass usseles as in 41
small example in the ,GC against humans you wont see the starting situations of the scenarios of (danube ) ,you wont be able to do those nice russian opening moves .im playing a GC against  Anorak now and tried the Supercarpet approach ,and made less mistakes then former games,but its sad you are forced to sacrifice Hundreds of thousands of lives ,you cant play it smarter then the russian generals in WW2 ,the german players are allowed to besmarter  with supply ,menlives ,conserving panzers and what not .....but the russians are forced to pocket themselves by the 1000000 to stall the enemy :/,losing arms ,equipment ,giving ground is no option ,tried it against anorak :p soon im against the frigging border of the map
this is no critisicm towards the game it is just an opinion and some observations

Post #: 82
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/31/2012 12:30:37 AM   
Michael T

We have never played gids, unless you went by another handle.

@David FWIW I never used muleing in our game. At that stage I am pretty sure HQ BU was not limited by range.

Neccessity is the mother of all invention. As things for the German side have been nuted over and over I have looked at other ways to remain competitive. I beleive as the game stands now there is no way that Germany can win the game (not war) without HQ BU and its variations. There is no way I am going to sit down at my PC and start a game knowing I cannot win.

Without HQ BU there is no way to prioritise supply. That should be a fundamental feature of any game like WITE. I am astonished actually that if what Flavius says is correct in that HQ BU was a late inclusion in WITE.

Again I use the two most advanced boardgame systems that cover the same subject. EFS and OCS. Both have discrete supply/fuel counters and trucks/wagons that are used to move the supplies forward from railheads to either directly supply units or create dumps. This is what WITE lacks. We have such low level control on so many aspects in the game yet something as critical as logistics is totally under the control of the AI, bar HQ BU. It is a game design problem/deficiency.

Give players control of there logistical assets and HQ BU can go.

(in reply to gids)
Post #: 83
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/31/2012 11:15:00 AM   
sillyflower

I remember that HQBU range came in pretty near the end our our game. I recall thinking for a brief moment that it might help a little....................

There seems to be an emerging agreement that the key is 'prioritise'. Germans need to be able to do that. Simply removing HQBU from the game would make it wholly unbalanced in Russian favour - killing the patient to cure the disease. The game would become like SPI's original War in the East ( which I was possibly playing before you were born ) where soviets would just run back out of reach. At the moment the lack of balance can largely be achieved by simple agreement - no muleing or chaining.

HQBU does not prioritise but simply adds a lot of (and non existent) capacity at no real short term cost so it is too powerful especially if/when people use ways to use the rules to maximise its efficiecy and/or minimise the cost so it can be done even more.

I'm old enough to remember all the old board games where being in supply was being x hexes/MPs from railhead. Some games then became more sophisticated and gave Germans mobile supply units or trucks to add flexibility and prioritisation. However, I can't see it being possible to separate supply from C&C in WiTE 1

web exchange

Post: I am always fearful that when I put this game down on the table and people see the box-art they will think I am some kind of neo-Nazi

Reply: They already know you're a gamer. What other shame can possibly compare?

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 84
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/31/2012 5:05:52 PM   
Flaviusx

Supply priority by definition cannot exist in a situation where supply is infinite. This game does not limit supply in any meaningful way save distance to railhead. Once that single condition is satisfied, everybody is in supply. This is a very crude model and doesn't really allow for supply "priority."

I don't agree that the Axis would stall without buildups. I've seen very convincing Axis advances made with just a handful of buildups. They are, imo, a crutch. But it's not buildups per se that bother me. It is this muling crap, which takes an already extremely generous supply model and breaks it.

Muling reminds me of the bad old days of Fire in the East (Europa series) when the Axis could chain as many truck counters as he wanted to and extend the range of supply at no cost to the rest of his army.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 3/31/2012 5:18:40 PM >

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 85
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/31/2012 5:11:05 PM   
gids

just playing against anorak ,tbh i think this will be my last Pbem game till i found my peace back,im a bit dishartened by the russian weakness overall to  achieve something ,he took stalingrad and without some more resilient troops there is nothing much i could do then retreat,hel i attacked a rumanian Cavdivision with 7000 men ,with a tankcorps and mechanized corps rested ,together 17000 men and over 300 tanks they didnt even move,oh yea they lost 150 men or something and yes it was a planned attack things like that get me angry lol

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 86
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/31/2012 10:52:08 PM   
Michael T

As usual Flav you only ever see the so called German abuses LOL.

I would be quite willing to adopt a bunch of house rules as long as some Soviet abuses we ruled out as well. Like:

The use of super human security regiments as a screen
The ridiculous over power of putting every unit in reserve
Carpet defenses that abuse the overly simplistic zoc rules
The oh so so flexible Soviet command structure
Totally unrealistic run aways
etc
etc
etc

Axis players are no more gamey than Soviets. I know because I play both sides. It takes two to tango. For every Axis abuse there is a Soviet one too.

The difference between you and I Flav is that I am quite willing to play either side with the supply rules as they stand. Because in my mind the abuses balance each other out.

(in reply to gids)
Post #: 87
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 3/31/2012 11:03:34 PM   
Flaviusx

Micheal, what you are doing with supply breaks the game. All of this other stuff is small beer in comparison. You have never even seen 1942+, probably never will. And what boggles me is you aren't even slightly disturbed by this. I would think at a minimum you'd be curious to at least play something beyond the first 6 months of the game.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 88
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 4/1/2012 12:21:13 AM   
Michael T

Like I said, I am happy to play either side with what I do with HQ BU. All those Soviet abuses easily compensate for any supply abuse. Period.

You disagree. Fine your entitled too. You worry about your game and I will worry about mine. Over and out.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 89
RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) - 4/1/2012 3:09:26 AM   
Flaviusx

Soviet players are going to start insisting on no muling as a house rule, Michael. And you are going to run out of willing lambs lining up for the slaughter. You're in total denial here, man.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Hell bent on Lebensraum (no 821Bobo) Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI