Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

setting up a better game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> setting up a better game Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
setting up a better game - 2/27/2012 6:43:48 PM   
mikeCK

Just played a 15x15 game with 400 stars and 7 races. Problem was, there was no reason to go to war since I had everything I needed...had all resources and plenty of them. I am looking to create a game where resources are rare enough to cause conflict....a need to attack. My plan is to keep the 15 x 15 map but decrease the stars to 200 maybe? Takes longer to expand and each resource planet means more.....

Will this work or result in something bad I am not seeing?
Post #: 1
RE: setting up a better game - 2/27/2012 8:23:59 PM   
ASHBERY76

Victory conditions and using your imagination is where the fun is.

The economy is only relavent at the start and then becomes a non issue for experienced players pretty quickly in my view.It is not moddable at present.

(in reply to mikeCK)
Post #: 2
RE: setting up a better game - 2/27/2012 10:55:43 PM   
mikeCK

But wouldn't the fact that there are few stars (200) spread out over a large area make for more conflicts over resource rich planets. After all, I can't afford to fly halfway across the galaxy for polymer...especially when there is one closer. Before,there were 4 close by so all nearby races had enough of everything

(in reply to mikeCK)
Post #: 3
RE: setting up a better game - 2/28/2012 7:40:01 AM   
Canute0

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikeCK

Just played a 15x15 game with 400 stars and 7 races. Problem was, there was no reason to go to war since I had everything I needed...had all resources and plenty of them. I am looking to create a game where resources are rare enough to cause conflict....a need to attack. My plan is to keep the 15 x 15 map but decrease the stars to 200 maybe? Takes longer to expand and each resource planet means more.....

Will this work or result in something bad I am not seeing?

If you start at equal conditions with the AI empire there is mosttime no reason to go for a war.
To improve the difficult for you,
- You start as starting, while the AI Empire are all mature/expanded/older. At this way you got it much harder to get new colonies because the other are some/well expanded empires allready.

- start with a harsh homesystem, that slow down you at the beginning.

(in reply to mikeCK)
Post #: 4
RE: setting up a better game - 2/28/2012 11:27:00 AM   
jpwrunyan

Start with the boskara as "same system". Thats better.

Note same system doesnt actually start you in the same system.

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 5
RE: setting up a better game - 2/29/2012 10:01:07 PM   
myros

Ive found that a smaller universe, less stars, more AI is the key to the type of game you mention.

It brings in more competition for fewer resources, also set AI to be more aggressive.

None of these really solve the 'problem' though as we could really use an options/game-start slider for overall economy (like the research speed one) which makes everything cost more and slows the rate of material recovery. That way we can set our own prefrence rather than be stuck with one-size-fits-all approach.

I imagine with all the recent comments on this kind of subject we will see it eventualy as the dev/matrix have been superb in their support for this title.

M

(in reply to mikeCK)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> setting up a better game Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI