Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What I learned in my first game of WiTE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> What I learned in my first game of WiTE Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What I learned in my first game of WiTE - 3/13/2012 2:59:51 PM   
goannaman

I am completely new to computer wargaming, and I thought maybe somethings I learned from my first attempt at this game would help some other new people.

I played through (mostly) the Road to Leningrad scenario. If you are brand new like me, I recommend downloading and following along with the PDF of Operational Boot Camp: For Gary Grigsby's war in the east. It helped me out greatly.

Lesson 1: Multiple save files are your friend. I didn't do this, and the game bugged during the final AI turn. Kind of a bummer, but at least it didn't happen in a grand campaign situation.

Lesson 2: My organizational skills suck. I was constantly shuffling units between HQ's. Keeping things more well organized is going to be a focus in my next go around.

Lesson 3: What do I do with AP's? Ok, so that was more of a question. But really, I don't know what to use them for. I found myself with a surplus. I feel like I'm ignoring part of the game (mainly building up new units, which I have no idea how to do)

Lesson 4: I suck at the air war. Honestly, I don't know what to do here, but my planes were pretty ineffective and I had almost no available fighters towards the end of the game.

Lesson 5: Panzers and mechanized infantry are underutilized in a slugging match. I used mine to drive a wedge up to the shore of lake Ladoga to cut the Russians in two. I don't think that was a bad plan, but I think using them to secure those lines, rather than replacing them with infantry, and using there mobility.

I think that is really all I learned. I'm enjoying the game a lot,glad I jumped in, as I wasn't sure if maybe I should start with a less complex title. Any advice or suggested reading would be appreciated, although, I do still have the manual to get through (no way I could read the whole thing before I played)!
Post #: 1
RE: What I learned in my first game of WiTE - 3/13/2012 3:40:05 PM   
Tarhunnas

Dont be daunted by the complexity. This is a VERY complex game, and it seems like you are progressing at an impressive pace if you are completely new to computer wargaming. You will learn in time, just keep at it and have fun!

Read my AAR:s ye mighty, and despair!
41Ger
41Sov
41Ger
42Ger
42Sov

(in reply to goannaman)
Post #: 2
RE: What I learned in my first game of WiTE - 3/13/2012 3:46:33 PM   
blastpop

quote:

ORIGINAL: goannaman

Lesson 4: I suck at the air war. Honestly, I don't know what to do here, but my planes were pretty ineffective and I had almost no available fighters towards the end of the game.

After having this game for some time now, I feel the same way about airpower. I am uncomfortable with the system as I feel I am doing something wrong with and can't put my finger on why this perceived problem persists...

(in reply to goannaman)
Post #: 3
RE: What I learned in my first game of WiTE - 3/13/2012 4:31:35 PM   
Peltonx

quote:

I am completely new to computer wargaming, and I thought maybe somethings I learned from my first attempt at this game would help some other new people.

I played through (mostly) the Road to Leningrad scenario. If you are brand new like me, I recommend downloading and following along with the PDF of Operational Boot Camp: For Gary Grigsby's war in the east. It helped me out greatly.

Lesson 1: Multiple save files are your friend. I didn't do this, and the game bugged during the final AI turn. Kind of a bummer, but at least it didn't happen in a grand campaign situation.

Lesson 2: My organizational skills suck. I was constantly shuffling units between HQ's. Keeping things more well organized is going to be a focus in my next go around.

Lesson 3: What do I do with AP's? Ok, so that was more of a question. But really, I don't know what to use them for. I found myself with a surplus. I feel like I'm ignoring part of the game (mainly building up new units, which I have no idea how to do)

Lesson 5: Panzers and mechanized infantry are underutilized in a slugging match. I used mine to drive a wedge up to the shore of lake Ladoga to cut the Russians in two. I don't think that was a bad plan, but I think using them to secure those lines, rather than replacing them with infantry, and using there mobility.

I think that is really all I learned. I'm enjoying the game a lot,glad I jumped in, as I wasn't sure if maybe I should start with a less complex title. Any advice or suggested reading would be appreciated, although, I do still have the manual to get through (no way I could read the whole thing before I played)!

I played vs the computer and read the AAR's for 4 month or so before tring a human vs human. Looks like your progressing faster then me, GJ

Lesson 4: The first turn in GC bomb all the air fields close to front and you should kill about 2000 to 2500.
After that I set my AD like this.
Ground support I only turn on for battles that need it and some times I will put it on 300/300 and hit the hex with 3 ground attacks first.
The city attack is set at 300/300 because I only use it to shut down ports.

Keep your planes in 3 blobs 5 to 7 hexs from front during 1941.

Keep your planes in 1 blob 5 to 7 hexs from front during 1942 to45.

Thats basicly how I do it

Pelton

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to goannaman)
Post #: 4
RE: What I learned in my first game of WiTE - 3/13/2012 4:36:34 PM   
Walloc

quote:

As others have said there is a learning curve for sure. I didnt ever play the russian side until after a year after the games release. Its like learning all over again, there are for sure lots more to be learned by playing that side more for me.

About lesson #4. A little tip, at leased its so in the CG, so i assume its the same in this scn. The Me109 F-2 which nearly all of ur figther units starts out with arent being produced any more. So u will recieve nada replacements cuz non are in the pool. Upgrade, manually yeah i know but its how it is, to the Me 109 F-4 that is being produced at start of the scn. That will free up Me109 F-2s for the other units for replacements while the F-4 units will get replacements as the pool is continusly added too. U'd prolly have to go back and do this to other units through out the scn.

Hope it helps,

Rasmus

(in reply to goannaman)
Post #: 5
RE: What I learned in my first game of WiTE - 3/13/2012 6:54:19 PM   
goannaman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

Upgrade, manually yeah i know but its how it is, to the Me 109 F-4 that is being produced at start of the scn.

Hope it helps,

Rasmus

It would help if I knew what that meant (meaning I don't know how to do the upgrade. Tons more manual reading is in store for me to be even remotely competent.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 6
RE: What I learned in my first game of WiTE - 3/13/2012 7:29:21 PM   
pmelheck1

I don't play WITE but do play WITP:AE and all I can tell you is don't be daunted. You are attempting to do things that the real life folks who did it back then studied their whole adult life to do and normally have staffs of various sizes. Like anything worth doing it takes practice. Some of us just suck at these but we enjoy them anyway. Thank goodness we weren't the ones called upon in real life to do something similar. If we really mess things up it's simply a restart and relearn. Gives a real appreciation for those folks on both sides who did it in real life with no do overs...

(in reply to goannaman)
Post #: 7
RE: What I learned in my first game of WiTE - 3/13/2012 8:05:25 PM   
buchand

I have played computer wagames since they started and only have one rule - am I enjoying myself. [Just as well because I am rubbish ]
The schwerpunkt driving through the ardennes in 1940, re-creating the Kiev pocket, heading up the armoured forces in Operation Cobra and driving to Paris - thats my thing.
Logistics and which plane to produce? During my real life career I always made sure I hired people for the details so I'm not going to change for computer simulations!
As Tarhunnas says - if your having fun you will keep playing and learn as you go.

Plan? What plan? Attack!!

(in reply to pmelheck1)
Post #: 8
RE: What I learned in my first game of WiTE - 3/13/2012 9:16:45 PM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: buchand

I have played computer wagames since they started and only have one rule - am I enjoying myself. [Just as well because I am rubbish ]
The schwerpunkt driving through the ardennes in 1940, re-creating the Kiev pocket, heading up the armoured forces in Operation Cobra and driving to Paris - thats my thing.
Logistics and which plane to produce? During my real life career I always made sure I hired people for the details so I'm not going to change for computer simulations!
As Tarhunnas says - if your having fun you will keep playing and learn as you go.

Which just goes to show that fun is in the eye of the beholder. There those that voiced that they have less or no fun becasue they cant do more in this area like detail management of german production, among other things.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

(in reply to buchand)
Post #: 9
RE: What I learned in my first game of WiTE - 3/13/2012 9:22:43 PM   
Walloc

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

Upgrade, manually yeah i know but its how it is, to the Me 109 F-4 that is being produced at start of the scn.

Hope it helps,

Rasmus

It would help if I knew what that meant (meaning I don't know how to do the upgrade. Tons more manual reading is in store for me to be even remotely competent.

Thanks for the comments everyone!

Uhh, i get to display my ubah paint skillz!

U start by selecting a arifield/base or stacks there off. Then u right click on the icon of an airfield/base poping up on the unit menu on the right side of teh screen.

looks like this:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Walloc -- 3/13/2012 9:49:38 PM >

(in reply to goannaman)
Post #: 10
RE: What I learned in my first game of WiTE - 3/13/2012 9:25:40 PM   
Walloc

Left click on name of units on the airbase:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 11
RE: What I learned in my first game of WiTE - 3/13/2012 9:30:41 PM   
Walloc

and u get a new menu of the unit. Left click on the aircraft change and it expands: Here u can change too other aircraft of type given by the unit type. Note that in this case because the picture is taken from the first turn so no Me109 F-4 have been produced so u cant change into that yet. U would be able to in following turns. Note also that i change airbase/units between the 2 pics to get one of figther instead of StG.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Walloc -- 3/13/2012 9:32:36 PM >

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 12
RE: What I learned in my first game of WiTE - 3/13/2012 9:59:12 PM   
goannaman

Thanks alot!

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 13
RE: What I learned in my first game of WiTE - 3/14/2012 2:04:36 AM   
usersatch

I played WiTP/AE for years and it took about that long to combine all the nuances into a single game. This game, while posing similar logistical issues (fuel, supplies, production etc.), is like learning it all over again. I don't have a good grasp on the air stuff either, but my kill ratio still looks good. I suppose when I start getting whopped in the skies, I will be more motivated to learn it.

Interestingly, I can swear the AI is learning from me! I had mass encirclements around Smolensk, Kiev, Leningrad, and Kharkov. Now that I captured Moscow, the AI seems to be able to smell a 2-turn-from-now encirclement from a mile off.

And, now I know how the Japanese felt, waiting for the mass production juggernaut to get fully reved up and come crush me. Either way, it's Zen for me, although my wife has a few choice words for this game (thinking that AE was out of my "system").

(in reply to goannaman)
Post #: 14
RE: What I learned in my first game of WiTE - 3/14/2012 6:34:10 AM   
gradenko2k

As I understand it, the air war is mostly about:

1. When enemy airfields are about to be over-run by your ground forces, bomb them first. This racks up disabled planes, which means they won't take off and are instead destroyed when the airfield is displaced.

2. If you have a particular ground attack that you want to succeed, hit the target with multiple (and small) strikes. This may well become expensive in terms of bombers lost for the Axis, although the Soviets can generally absorb the losses.

3. As the Soviets, crank up Air Interception to 300% and watch as the Luftwaffe impale themselves on it.

This is, of course, for the AI. Trying to do #2 and #3 in a predictable fashion against a human would lead to your opponent reaching over Slitherine's servers with murder on his mind.

(in reply to usersatch)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> What I learned in my first game of WiTE Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI