Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: And Again Again - vicberg (axis) vs. Viktor (Soviets)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: And Again Again - vicberg (axis) vs. Viktor (Soviets) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: And Again Again - vicberg (axis) vs. Viktor (Soviets) - 3/31/2012 2:44:01 AM   
vicberg

Yep.  It's not 41 I'm worried about, it's 42.  I think the 8 mil man army I faced was because we upgrade to 1.6 mid-flight, so it was hopefully an abberation.  

2 mil in casualties for the Soviets.  I still have a few turns of good weather.  i just isolated 7 move divisions and I have snow turns.  So I'm feeling ok about things right now. 

(in reply to sillyflower)
Post #: 31
RE: And Again Again - vicberg (axis) vs. Viktor (Soviets) - 3/31/2012 2:52:40 AM   
vicberg

Turn 14

AGN

Leningrad is isolated now. I want to push his troops past the river and the hole up for the winter.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 32
RE: And Again Again - vicberg (axis) vs. Viktor (Soviets) - 3/31/2012 2:54:54 AM   
vicberg

AGC

Pulled two corps from PZG4 down and rushed them into the fight. I elected to smash some of his big stacks rather than try to push down a single road. It will be interesting to see what he'll do here. PZG2, PZG3 and PZG4 can push from here with infantry support. I'm wondering if he'll do a few hex pull back from here.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 33
RE: And Again Again - vicberg (axis) vs. Viktor (Soviets) - 3/31/2012 2:56:03 AM   
vicberg

AGS (south)

I could have gone around, but I decided to go through.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 34
RE: And Again Again - vicberg (axis) vs. Viktor (Soviets) - 3/31/2012 3:56:57 PM   
vicberg

Turn 15 (I think I got my turns misnumbered)

Leningrad is cleared and the finns are moving south. I'm hoping to clear to the river line and pull 18th for refit and winter.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 35
RE: And Again Again - vicberg (axis) vs. Viktor (Soviets) - 3/31/2012 3:57:56 PM   
vicberg

AGC

Viktor is an aggressive player. He's not afraid to attack in 41 as evidenced and reopened the pocket.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 36
RE: And Again Again - vicberg (axis) vs. Viktor (Soviets) - 3/31/2012 3:59:06 PM   
vicberg

AGS

More attacks from Viktor. I'm pushing to straighten the lines a bit for winter.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by vicberg -- 3/31/2012 4:28:26 PM >

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 37
RE: And Again Again - vicberg (axis) vs. Viktor (Soviets) - 3/31/2012 3:59:57 PM   
vicberg

AGS (South)

Pushing on Rostov for the Group A/B split.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 38
RE: And Again Again - vicberg (axis) vs. Viktor (Soviets) - 3/31/2012 4:00:55 PM   
vicberg

AGS (broad front)

This, I'm not happy about. The lines are too stretched.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 39
RE: And Again Again - vicberg (axis) vs. Viktor (Soviets) - 3/31/2012 4:09:51 PM   
vicberg

Sitrep

I'm in an ok position.  I'm not quite comfortable though.

I can still push accross multiple hexes towards Moscow.  I straightened lines there and have 3 PZGs there with infantry support.  At a minimum, I'm hopefully doing enough damage to prevent a soviet counter attack in winter.  I doubt that based on his current attacking without winter, so I'm worried about the blizzard.

In the south, the lines are too stretched. 

Brings me to another lesson learned.  Go where they aren't.  Viktor likes strong stacks every two to three hexes and others in reserve mode. If solid defenses are facing AGC past Smolensk, then shift the panzers south.  That could have straightened my lines at lot easier than pounding through his strength in the north. 

The hedgehog is quite effective.  This goes back to BigAnorak's idea of a war of attrition.  Go slower in the north in 41, unless encircle opportunities show themselves or there are light defenses, attack for moral and favorable loss ratio's, set up for 41 winter and 42 campaign.  In the south, I could have exploited his light defenses from south of Smolensk down to Kursk with Panzers and set up for a better winter defense and 42 campaign.  The goal being Rostov, Kursk, Orel, etc..  In essence, I played right into his strength and also got PZG2/PZG3 bogged in the woods east of Vitibesk.  Against someone like Viktor, I'm not going to get many encircle opporunties, so this should have been the time to set up for the war of attrition in 42. 

Lesson learned there. 

All this assumes no muling. That would have made all the difference in the world.

< Message edited by vicberg -- 3/31/2012 4:19:25 PM >

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 40
RE: And Again Again - vicberg (axis) vs. Viktor (Soviets) - 4/21/2012 10:01:54 AM   
glvaca

Are you air dropping supply?
What you must learn is that pushing your Panzers each and every turn is going to limit your opportunities to make pockets.
First, you give away your objective.
Second, you will fatigue, disrupt and deplete fuel/supply without achieving a breakthrough.

It's much better to keep the Panzers back a few hexes behind your chosen weakspot, let them rest & refit, wait for the infantry (if necessary) and then land a knockout blow.

The worst fear ANY Russian player has is not knowing where the panzers are and where the next attack will be. The reason is quite simple and not well understood, namely, the Russian is not strong enough to be strong everywhere and is not mobile enough to react to a quick shift of direction.

Once you understand that, you won't be complaining so much
The best way to get this insight is to play the Russian side. I'll bet good money you're current gloom regarding the German side will quite quickly turn the other way...

< Message edited by glvaca -- 4/21/2012 10:13:41 AM >

(in reply to vicberg)
Post #: 41
RE: And Again Again - vicberg (axis) vs. Viktor (Soviets) - 4/21/2012 11:29:25 AM   
glvaca

Actually, come to think of it, why don't you and MichealT play a game with you as Russian. Let's revisit your opinions after that game

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 42
RE: And Again Again - vicberg (axis) vs. Viktor (Soviets) - 4/30/2012 5:55:09 AM   
vicberg

I've stopped my games. The games too unbalanced right now. I have one more that I'm continuing because my opponent requested it.

I would lose against Michaelt, as everyone else has. He mules and in his hands, mules are unstoppable. Swings wildly to the Germans. Don't mule, swings wildly to the Soviets. There are limitations in the combat mechanics that make checkerboards and carpets quite effective, if you don't mule. If not muling, the only hope for the Germans is if the Soviet fights forward. That provides encirclement opportunities.

Look at where are my mules or next leap for WITE. Both threads have multiples posts sharing similar experiences. Michaelt posted in Where are my Mules and the Devs responded in that thread as well. He explained why he mules.

To answer other questions:
- Yes I use air drops
- Yes, actually after reading your AAR and SJ80, I realized I need to concentrate infantry and hold panzers back. In my one continuing game, I did just both those things and achieved and encirclement of 40 divisions. It should have never happened, but my opponent decided to maintain a salient around Vitibiesk instead of pulling back. The salient was about 150 miles long as my deepest thrust was 60-70 miles east of Smolensk. I was able to link PZG4 from Lgrad with PZG2 and PZG3. I can't blame him as I made minimal progress of 3 weeks prior to the encirclement. If he had pulled back though and maintained relatively straight lines, I would have never encircled him.

(in reply to glvaca)
Post #: 43
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: And Again Again - vicberg (axis) vs. Viktor (Soviets) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI