Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: RHS Level I Update 2.46 (Comprehensive)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: RHS Level I Update 2.46 (Comprehensive) Page: <<   < prev  23 24 25 26 [27]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: RHS Level I Update 2.46 (Comprehensive) - 8/20/2016 11:27:31 AM   
el cid again

Level I Update Link 2.51
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap7XOIkiBuUwg-8ZqLaG9QbsVHAolg

Comments three replies down.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 10/23/2016 6:19:47 PM >

(in reply to el cid again)
Post #: 781
RE: RHS Level I Update 2.45 (Comprehensive) - 8/20/2016 12:00:31 PM   
el cid again

Although we call em "low capacity ferries"

(a few cases exist of RR ferries and 'high capacity ferries' - mainly in Japan - these
are secondary RR and secondary roads)

they represent a host of coastal vessels, not just ferries. [In Full RHS you get the
actual ferries if of significant size - they are outstanding amphibious and mine warfare vessels
often used by navies as auxiliaries].

Not every island or coastal mainland-island strait is a candidate for an RHS ferry -
only a minority are. They generally exist when there is a substantial local population
with a significant number of minor vessels available to be seized (although indeed
most armies have collapsible and inflatable boats they also can use to supplement the
local craft). The mechanism is semi-abstract. The fact it is fairly slow is more or less a simulation
that it is difficult to do such an operation - it needs organizing of material for one thing -
and sometimes also of manpower. These crossings also are treated as if they are river crossings -
and indeed they are very similar. [The modern PLA has "river crossing brigades" which are, in fact,
tasked with landing operations on offshore islands - same basic concept.] So in RHS such
an attack will be forced to be a shock attack.

FYI we did a lot of work on invading Hawaii in WITP (pre AE) days - and had a scenario dedicated to it.
Invading the ISLANDS OTHER THAN OAHU may be a good idea - it ties down the US forces and almost guarantees
they will fight for control of the area - a battle Japan can afford to lose (my favorite kind).
But it is NEVER practical to capture Oahu. Due to the size of the force, supply stocks, and terrain,
compounded by fortifications. Also any actual ships bombarding the hex or landing troops in the hex are
ALWAYS obliterated by the largest coast defense force in the world. I do not fear the fall of Oahu -
and no Allied player should. The ATTEMPT defeats Japan - it requires too many forces for too much
time supported by a huge fraction of the transport shipping. I did not bother to work up a scenario for AE
and no one has asked for one. I did begin to do a monster game on this - the map was about 8 feet square -
but research indicated it was not going to be a fair fight. The terrain is formidable on the island of Oahu.

If Japan DID occupy Oahu, how could they feed the population? Japan studied the problem since 1910. See
Hawaii Under the Rising Sun, University of Hawaii Press. The idea Japan "should have followed up with an
invasion force" is based on unrealistic assumptions. But, in fact, Japan DID intend to do that in WWII.
The Battle of Midway was stage one of the invasion. No less than three divisions were allocated - although
I doubt that was enough for a late 1942 invasion. See in particular The Pearl Harbor Papers, University of Hawaii
Press.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

I guess the trails in Hawaii islands represent coastal ferries. Imagine if Japs landed in Lanai City - they can walk into PH from there using the trails. Since the ferries still exist as individual ships, maybe the trails can be removed?

< Message edited by el cid again -- 8/20/2016 7:47:29 PM >

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 782
RE: RHS Level I Update 2.45 (Comprehensive) - 8/20/2016 1:59:28 PM   
Yaab

Another minor thing.

A CPT lead this command HQ in Pago-Pago. If you select Nimitz as his replacement, you only pay 3 political points. If you do the same for Pacific Command HQ in PH, the cost ramps up to 100 political points because you are replacing a GEN or MGEN there. I guess someone higher-ranking should lead the Samoan HQ.

Post #: 783
RE: RHS Level I Update 2.46 (Comprehensive) - 8/20/2016 7:36:31 PM   
el cid again

Level I Update Link 2.51

This update brings Level I in sync with Level II. It differs only with
respect to the lack of updates for the pwhexe.dat files. Level I has
its own pwhexe.dat files, and some of its own map art files (those
on the edge of the map). But non-map edge WPEN09 is updated
here anyway - it is identical with Level II.

This installer is comprehensive: it contains map art for the ART folder,
revised documentation for the RHS Documentation folder, a slightly
revised pwhexe.dat file for the top level AE folder. There also are new aircraft, group, device and location files.

There is a new device - the Type 95 Improved (Shinhoto Chi Ha) medium tank. This is essentially a Type 1 turret on a Type 95 chassis. It was put into production INSTEAD of the Type 1 in 1942. The Type 1, ready for production, was delayed (similar to the Type 98 Light Tank). This was due to the naval building program need for steel. [The Type 1 chassis weighs a ton more than the Type 95 does).

More Allied air groups were reworked so they to not return with late war aircraft early in the game. Mainly USAAF bombers, and a few USN carrier air groups were reworked. This is very tedious work.

Even more difficult was a review of the Japanese tank production program. Apart from adding a new device, Japanese tanks generally were reviewed. There is now a major difference between strictly historical scenarios and Japan Enhanced Scenarios (125 & 129): the Type 98 and Type 1 enter production sooner in the JES scenarios. Tanks picked up production pools and rebuild (repair) rates. This is done to mitigate the engine problems producing historical numbers of vehicles. These measures should matter in both ongoing and new games.

Map panel WPEN09 (and possibly 08) in China and India are included. A new standard is set here - water comments are in blue for example. Missing RR and road segments were added. Many minor urban hexes were added. A few major urban hexes were added.

Kukong got a new population rating (3 with no expansion to 4).

The rest of the Allied air groups will be reworked to insure no return of groups with aircraft not yet available. All Japanese groups are done. Most Allied groups are done.

The non tank AFVs of Japan will be reworked similar to tanks.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 10/23/2016 6:20:07 PM >

Post #: 784
RE: RHS Level I Update 2.45 (Comprehensive) - 8/20/2016 7:52:39 PM   
el cid again

It took a great deal of research, but the start of game commanders ARE the senior officers
in each command areas. The case of this command is pretty unique - it is a rare instance
where a commander was outranked by his subordinate in fact - and all went WELL. Anyway -
you may replace the start of game commander when/if you want to. No house rule against it.
Several commands, including this one I think, rename (when they historically did) and also
"grow" to include a lot more support assets (because they historically did). I am not
responsible for nor able to alter the code in the engine: the pp cost is what it is. It
does not matter in RHS in any case: the pp concept, if well intended, is nearly useless
as implemented. It was way too restrictive, particularly for the Allies. So the Allies
have very large numbers of them - to permit historical operations (utterly impossible in
stock; when you need to change things mid-war for British forces, you never have enough;
you cannot do what you should do in China or the USSR either; but in RHS you have enough
to do virtually anything and SHOULD keep your commands aligned with ALL their subordinate units).

Update: Naval Forces Samoa becomes USN South Pacific on 420619. It is present at game start
so units in the area can have a command HQ. This is the senior US officer in the area at the
start of the game (except for not completed 1945 Downfall Scenario 106). It is also the only
base in the area with even minimal repair facilities. This HQ never did have much fighting
to do and basically served as a logistical support and repair HQ most of the war. But it
is useful in game terms, and may become a vital combat HQ in many games because Japan might
invade the area resulting in sustained combat operations. The decision to have a USN South
Pacific was sound (in the original design). RHS just extends it slightly: you have
a base in the area in the critical early game period, defined with the name and commander
of the only important base in the area. It then modifies into the regional HQ. The 1945
scenarios start with more assets and a different commander (Wild, Laurence).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Another minor thing.

A CPT lead this command HQ in Pago-Pago. If you select Nimitz as his replacement, you only pay 3 political points. If you do the same for Pacific Command HQ in PH, the cost ramps up to 100 political points because you are replacing a GEN or MGEN there. I guess someone higher-ranking should lead the Samoan HQ.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 8/20/2016 8:00:40 PM >

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 785
RE: RHS Level I Update 2.45 (Comprehensive) - 8/21/2016 6:56:12 AM   
Yaab

Thanks for the explanation.

I have a BF at Lihue (Kauai) which is prepped for Hilo. Must be a typo, since the BF has static CD guns in its TOE.

--------------------------------------------------------

Here is Lanai City again. It is the only base within the range of USN Pacific Fleet HQ in PH, which does not have any naval support from this HQ. There should be roughly 60 Naval support showing up. Maybe the base is not properly integrated in pwhexe file?

< Message edited by Yaab -- 8/21/2016 7:05:10 AM >

Post #: 786
RE: RHS Level I Update 2.461 (Comprehensive) - 8/23/2016 6:19:55 PM   
el cid again

Level I Update Link 2.51

This brings Level I into sync with Level II.

It has map art, documentation and scenario files.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 10/23/2016 6:20:24 PM >

Post #: 787
RE: RHS Level I Update 2.461 (Comprehensive) - 8/28/2016 5:33:01 AM   
Yaab

Here is Akutan Island in Alaska. Its base screen says the base gets 240 free supplies daily. I guess it should have been 2 supplies per day.

Post #: 788
RE: RHS Level I Update 2.463 (Comprehensive) - 9/3/2016 7:51:34 PM   
el cid again

Level I Update Link 2.51

This update is similar to Level II 2.462.

It adds some additional air group updates to prevent air units which are disbanded, withdrawn or wiped out from reappearing immediately with late war aircraft. That
is a minority problem, but pervasive. It has been entirely removed from Japanese
air groups, but some Allied air groups are still being reviewed. This deals with some recon squadrons (or misclassified bomber squadrons appearing in recon form).

It has a new (universal) Japanese aircraft side panel - which is now in sync with Level II.

It has some new device data, and one new location redefine (Chittagong) - which ins now in sync with Level II.

It has some new map panels - two non-map edge panels are identical to Level II and one map edge panel is the same for the actual map but different for the map edge art.

There is probably some slightly revised documentation.

There are probably not any pwhexe.dat changes - but if there are - they
are included by a refreshed copy from source.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 10/23/2016 6:20:37 PM >

Post #: 789
RE: RHS Level I Update 2.471 (Comprehensive) - 9/18/2016 12:17:11 AM   
el cid again

Level I Update Link 2.51

This brings Level ONE into approximate sync with Level TWO.
Mainly that is with respect to scenario and documentation files -
the two levels use entirely different pwhexe.dat, pwzlink.dat and
pwzone.dat files. For that reason they use generally different
map art. However, at least one map art panel here is improved
slightly - there may be more. I do not remember if the new
air art was included last time - or if it is new here? For safety
always update the ART folder.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 10/23/2016 6:20:52 PM >

Post #: 790
RE: RHS Level I Update 2.473 (Comprehensive) - 9/27/2016 8:11:46 PM   
el cid again

Level I Update Link 2.493
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ap7XOIkiBuUwgoJwh5X6Cn-3bngEFQ

This update partially syncs Level I and Level II - in particular in terms of the
data files (eratta are backfitted). It also has a bit of the new map art. There are no
pwhexe.dat revisions and no documentation revisions as far as I remember. But for safety, everything is copied over before compiling - any new data (remembered or not) is included.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 10/11/2016 10:20:58 PM >

Post #: 791
RE: RHS Level I Update 2.473 (Comprehensive) - 10/1/2016 8:41:38 AM   
Yaab

Several Allied airfields in Alaska need a rethink.

At start, there are several locations with level 5 airfields there. At level 5, B-17 heavy bombers can fly attack missions with full bomb load. I think the airfields can be downgraded to level 2 which is enough to service commercial transport aircraft.

The bases are:

Sand Point I (ID 531)
Port Heiden (ID 555)
OldMcGrath (ID 1841)
Glenallen/Gullkana (ID 549)

Also Nome (ID 554) could be downgraded from level 6 to level 2 as well.

I guess it would be the best to leave level 5 airfields only in bases with a heavy US Army presence, namely Anchorage and Kodiak.

Just a thought.

Post #: 792
RE: RHS Level I Update 2.481 (Comprehensive) - 10/3/2016 2:26:24 AM   
el cid again

Level I Update Link 2.51

This update almost brings Level I into sync with Level II - but note Level II is
2.48 v 2.481 here: The difference is that Level I is ahead in terms of correcting
the captain of HMNZS Leander - just reported.

There is a new set of air art filmstrips for Japan.

The main reason is there is new air art for the Ki-71 Edna. This aircraft is also redefined because of new information and a new interpretation of its mission. This is a command reconnaissance aircraft capable of bombing. As such it is not a dive bomber, but a level bomber. Also, as such it can make a pure photo recon run at long range, but only carries bombs to short range. Its bomb load is increased (helping explain why it wasn't much faster than the Ki-51 in spite of 50% more power).

The Ki-51c is redefined slightly. It has Ho-1 12.7 mg both front and rear, no 7.7 mm at all. It has 30 gallons more fuel = slightly more range.

Level One does not get pwhexe.dat updates (unless eratta) - because it needs 26 different updates for every change! No changes there.

There is new RHS documentation - re those airplanes described above.

HMAS Achilles and Leander get the correct captains. The captain of Achilles appears in 1941 instead of 1942.

There is considerable location eratta worked in. Scenario 101 was messed up with Level II locations - it was re-created by renaming 103 but resetting the Russians from passive to active (otherwise 103 is identical to 101). Other eratta were found in both locations and land units. A town in Sinkiang moved one hex and was renamed - to be consistent with Level II (ongoing games will ignore the move). The new name is Kargilik. This is done for technical reasons germane only to Level II - but when possible records are kept in sync.

There is probably slightly revised map art. Level I does NOT have trail art like Level II is getting.

Japan Enhanced Scenario 105 can uses slightly revised Ju-88 (Ki-50) art - new top and mask to fit better.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 10/23/2016 6:21:09 PM >

Post #: 793
RE: RHS Level I Update 2.493 (Comprehensive) - 10/11/2016 10:14:09 PM   
el cid again

Level I Update Link 2.51

This update brings Level I into approximate alignment with Level II.
It does NOT update the pwhexe.dat and pwzlink/pwzone.dat file systems -
which remain compatible with stock. That is why this mod is still used -
for those who want to use stock compatible art - although it DOES have
its own art somewhat modified for RHS features if you want it.

This update includes several segments from Level II - but is substantially
confined to scenario and documentation files - probably entirely. It is
mainly eratta. But it has MORE of that than Level II - because I neglected
Level I for a while - and did not correct eratta - some of that is now being
folded in. Mainly here we get Allied air groups, allied land units supporting
air groups, and land unit eratta.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 10/23/2016 6:21:23 PM >

Post #: 794
Posted in Error - 10/14/2016 5:37:23 AM   
el cid again

This will be 2.494 or later once Level I is compiled.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 10/14/2016 5:50:09 AM >

Post #: 795
RE: RHS Level I Update 2.51 (misc) - 10/23/2016 6:12:49 PM   
el cid again

Level I Update Link 2.51

This is an incremental update including some of the changes of the last few
Level II updates.

Most of the changes, as usual, are in scenario files. Eratta continues to be punched. A few technical changes may be in RHS documentation. There are no pwhexe.dat changes. There is a new Japanese air art side panel - because Level I uses the same air art as Level II. [Generally, Level II also uses the same planes for any given scenario. As art and planes have been added to II, they were usually backfitted to Level I.] There may be a new map art panel. Most of the new Level II map art involves trails - and Level I does not have those in art. Because the pwhexe.dat files are more developed, trail art would sometimes be misleading. This may be the last Level I update unless I find a new way to create a link: we are going to run out of room (because Microsoft has reduced the size of the available cloud).

Post #: 796
RE: RHS Level I Update Situation - 10/29/2016 2:31:35 AM   
el cid again

Link no longer available. Contact el cid again if you
need an update.

Post #: 797
RE: RHS Level I Update Situation - 10/31/2016 1:55:09 AM   
Vipersp

Greetings Cid and fellow players;
One question about allied production;
playing a PBEM scen 103, 12/08/42
My allied opponent is crying about his F4-F figures, after one year in game terms he still have his factory at Orange County as 22(54) even with the factory set to repair;
I thought it should be fully repaired long ago but not a single repair happened since Dec 7th..is that normal? when it will start to repair itself??

Cheers,

Post #: 798
RE: RHS Level I Update Situation - 11/1/2016 5:16:56 AM   
el cid again

Indeed, the factory should normally repair one factory per day.

BUT ONLY IF there are enough supplies to do so! The Allies, especially
in odd numbered scenarios, simply must manage aircraft production. This
is done as a favor for the Allies - but it is a two edged sword - one cannot
ignore it.

Understand you will NEVER repair a factory of any kind UNLESS there are
1) Over 10,000 supplies in the hex at the start of the turn
2) Each factory that repairs will 'eat' 1,000 supply points in a single day
3) If there are MANY factories set to repair in the same hex, they will
"compete" for the supply to grow - unless there is enough for all of them.

Further there are MANY KINDS of factories for planes of FUTURE TYPES that must
NEVER BE SET to build before the aircraft available date. This is so production
will ramp up from whatever level I start it at (for historical reasons). If you
try to 'cheat' and ignore this rule, you will be fixing factories for late war
aircraft but not fixing those for early war aircraft, in some cases.

There is a paper in the RHS Documentation section describing economic management
in detail.

Note that RHS has set huge numbers of things like resources, light industry, heavy
industry, oil refineries, etc to grow over time. A suggestion from the Forum in WITP
days, this is so we do not start the Allies in 1941 with 1944 production, but instead
have it grow to support the vastly larger forces of 1944. However, that means the
Allied player - mainly in California - MUST manage supplies. He must turn off repair
of some things (not just planes) and he probably needs to move supplies to critical points
sometimes. You can do that using barges, ships, even transport aircraft - which you
get in huge numbers (on historical dates - the entire US airline industry was taken
over in early 1942). If you simply let everything be repair = on, you are going to
run into problems - guaranteed - at some points.

Even numbered scenarios - called Simplified RHS - automate much of this process.
Planes appear later in time, and do not generally ramp up in production, in particular.
Full RHS - odd numbered scenarios - give the Allies more planes sooner but ONLY IF
the player understands the need to manage supplies. See the essay comparing RHS
and stock economics.

< Message edited by el cid again -- 11/1/2016 5:24:28 AM >

(in reply to Vipersp)
Post #: 799
RE: RHS Level I Updates Suspended for the Moment - 11/1/2016 10:45:22 PM   
el cid again

Due to hardware changes, OneDrive is unable to make a stable link to RHS
scenario files. There are also few changes (other than map art panels)
to fold in just now. In due course new links will be posted.

Post #: 800
RE: RHS Level I Updates Suspended - 11/12/2016 2:41:00 AM   
el cid again

RHS Level I files will continue to be updated at source with respect to eratta.
RHS Level I is no longer in development and will continue to exist only in its present form.
However, updated scenario files can be issued on request. As well, ship and plane art
updates, if any (planes are likely) also can be issued on request.

Post #: 801
RE: RHS Level I Updates Suspended - 11/12/2016 6:13:24 PM   
el cid again

No longer available. If you need an update, contact el cid again.
Plane and ship art, and data files, continue to be updated - for anyone
using the stock map system version of RHS.

Post #: 802
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 25 26 [27]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: RHS Level I Update 2.46 (Comprehensive) Page: <<   < prev  23 24 25 26 [27]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI