Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/11/2012 8:22:27 PM   
Cribtop

Oh sure, yuck it up now, but it won't be so funny when the Japs take Port Stanley by coup de main and then show up at Key West a week later. You already admitted you lost track of at least 2 carriers. You have your Indian Ocean blinders on, amigo.

I don't think Ernest Hemingway and his bar buddies will be enough to deter the Imperial Marines.

End homemade quote by Cap Mandrake............ (don't you hate it when you reply to a post and don't feel the need to use the quote feature 'cause you'll be next and it will be obvious, but then someone else is quicker on the draw and posts first, and then you kick over the next page and have to "Aggie quote." Well, I hate it.)

They could, however, stop one U-Boat. If it was already sunk. And the crew was holed up in Cuba. And if protagonist was sober enough to shoot straight. And if the hot love interest doesn't distract him. And stuff.

< Message edited by Cribtop -- 8/11/2012 8:27:59 PM >

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 991
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/11/2012 11:21:31 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
Key West: Warm and sunny.

Oh sure, yuck it up now, but it won't be so funny when the Japs take Port Stanley by coup de main and then show up at Key West a week later. You already admitted you lost track of at least 2 carriers. You have your Indian Ocean blinders on, amigo.

I don't think Ernest Hemingway and his bar buddies will be enough to deter the Imperial Marines.

He can always bring in Bogie from Key Largo. Dibs on Lauren Bacall for my secretary - you and Adm. Lord Sprior seem to already have yours picked out!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 992
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/11/2012 11:31:41 PM   
paullus99

Canoe - a quote from Grant comes to mind at this point, during the worst part of the Battle of the Wilderness.....are you perhaps too worried about what your opponent is going to do & not enough on what you are going to do?

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 993
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/12/2012 12:00:06 AM   
Canoerebel

Wouldn't that make me McClellan or Rosecrans?

Yes, I admit I'm very worried about what PH will do. That hinders me in some ways. On the other hand, getting frisky will be lethal if I make a mistake. If I lose my carriers or if I blow a hole in my own Chinese MLR, things will get very, very ugly.

I think I'm just reaching the point now where I'm at the genesis of truly thinking on the offensive. I have ideas both in India and NoPac (and China, though I've always had ideas there, they just haven't come to fruition mostly).

Point take, Paullus. Thanks.

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 994
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/12/2012 12:09:48 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

That's me, your friendly neighborhood editor. :)

By the way, 116th IJA Div. showed up in far west China. (That's one of the good Kwantung units NYGiants mentioned yesterday). I've emailed Steve to ask him if he's paying to transfer units. I certainly hope he is. If he isn't we seem to be playing with different notions of propriety and frankly discussing what's pushing the envelope.

Question to resolve something in the other, peanut, thread: Did you pay PPs to put the USMC units into India? Or the US Army units into Oz?

The Moose

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 995
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/12/2012 12:24:33 AM   
Walloc

Just to clarify for the same thread. Were those units unrestricted or not.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 8/12/2012 2:54:04 AM >

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 996
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/12/2012 2:03:09 AM   
Canoerebel

Well, you can't load restricted units aboard transports until you pay the PP to "buy" them. Thus, I paid for 27th Division. I think the Marines and the two RCT of 40th Division were unrestricted.

I would not move restricted Indian units into Burma or further without buying them. Or, I should say, I traditionally haven't and wouldn't in this game unless Steve insisted on not having a House Rule.

But Steve said via email that he did pay for the Kwangtun units before moving them into China.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 997
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/12/2012 2:27:31 AM   
desicat

quote:

Wouldn't that make me McClellan or Rosecrans?

Since you have decided to don the "Blue", you may prefer to be Gen Thomas more than the other two you mentioned.

quote:

Thomas had a successful record in the Civil War, but he failed to achieve the historical acclaim of some of his contemporaries, such as Ulysses S. Grant (Nemo) and William T. Sherman (Greyjoy). He developed a reputation as a slow, deliberate general who shunned self-promotion and who turned down advancements in position when he did not think they were justified. After the war, he did not write memoirs to advance his legacy. He also had an uncomfortable personal relationship with Grant, which served him poorly as Grant advanced in rank and eventually to the presidency.

General George Henry Thomas

< Message edited by desicat -- 8/12/2012 4:35:05 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 998
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/12/2012 1:13:31 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

...If I lose my carriers or if I blow a hole in my own Chinese MLR, things will get very, very ugly.

Wow, did I really just say this last night, while waiting for this turn to come in? I'm omniscient or preescient or something!

1. My Changsha shock attacked failed pretty miserably, with the Chinese losing more than 300 squads. I'll have to retire and hope that something bad doesn't happen in the meantime (fortunately, the IJ shock attack at Changhsa failed; I really don't think there's any short-term risk there, because the Japanese army is roughed up and reinforcements are just one day away).

2. CV Indomitable took a sub-torp with an "ammo storage explosion." I can't open the next-turn file any time soon, so I don't know if the damage was fatal, mortal, or just serious. Ouch.

On a separate note, Steve employed 2nd Raiding Regiment at Changsha to get the para-assault odds modifier. We've already had extensive discussions on this aspect of the game, with mutually-agreed limitations imposed. I hope this wasn't some 5-AV fragment. If it's 40 AV well-prepped for Changsha, that would be fine. If it's 5-AV lobbed into the fray, that would be against what we mutually agreed upon.

I'm teaching today and then we have a big graduation party for my oldest son, with out-of-town company, so I'm committed until we wrap up the festivities. In the meantime, you guys offer up some kind thoughts for the Chinese and healing for Indomitable.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 999
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/12/2012 3:15:44 PM   
princep01

CR, while we all make little typos and grammar errors in our messages, sometimes I think the spirit of Greyjoy guides your hand:).

About your Northern Pacific thoughts.  I fully endorse a major effort to reclaim the main VP objectives in that area before the end of 1942.  If you go this route.  It appears more and more likely that this was a only an effort to grab points and to MAYBE catch some CVs in the process.  I hope you have analyzed the possibilty that he is playing for an auto victory at the end of '42.  I think he is.

So, because you seem inclined to retreat in India, thus surrendering a large number of VPs there, retaking the objectives with high point value in the N. Pacific would seem a must.  Perhaps you have analyzed this and KNOW he cannot achieve his ultimate VP goal...if so, I stand down, properly chastised.  But, he knows your style of play and I think he is taking advantage of it.  Do the math, my friend.....and jump his butt out of the high VP objectives in the north.  Remember, Winter is Coming.

So, my new motto....CR, King in the North!!! (Greyjoy and perhaps others will get this) 

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1000
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/12/2012 4:01:22 PM   
BBfanboy

Oh, we get it princep01 - we just hope the king is not going to be beheaded for being too noble and honest!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to princep01)
Post #: 1001
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/13/2012 3:23:11 PM   
Canoerebel

4/17/42 and 4/18/42

I lost track of a day somewhere or other in the flurry of turns we flipped late last week. So this entry actually only covers events of 4/18.

Carriers: CV Indomitable is torpedoed and suffers an ammo storage explosition. I learned that yesterday morning at 6 a.m., but due to an very, very busy family schedule yesterday, I wasn't able to open the turn file until this morning to find out what Indomitable's status is. She incurred 15 SYS and 30 FLT and can make 21 knots. I greeted this news joyfully. Of course, now she's giving off smoke signals, so we have a long way to go before she's safe again. The carriers will retire SW. If they successfully disengage, Indomitable will probaby go to Capetown.

Subs: Steve has a tremendous line of subs between Ceylon and Sumatra. He moves all his subs around in one giant pack (with a few exceptions around North America). That's the reason his subs have been so quiet in the game. He rarely uses them around ports. I wonder if he knew or just guessed/lured my carriers into action? I think this was more of a bait and trap, which is a valuable lesson to learn about his style of play.

China: The attack near Changsha coordinated perfectly and failed miserably. The Chinese lost nearly 400 AV on the day. Japan lost about 60. It wasn't good, but it wasn't fatal in the short run. However, it will make my job defending China that much harder long term.

North America: Quiet.

Auto Victory: I'm very aware of how this works due to the my game with Q-Ball. The Allies grow very much strong by September and October and will be on the offensive in India...unless China falls so that Japan has plenty of additional divisions to work with. I think under the current configuration and disposition on the map, Steve won't have a chance for auto victory unless China falls by, say, July or August. If it does fall, then all bets or off and I will become the poster child for despair.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1002
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/13/2012 3:32:45 PM   
TheLoneGunman_MatrixForum

Indomitable was just too damn indomitable.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1003
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/13/2012 3:41:14 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

China: The attack near Changsha coordinated perfectly and failed miserably. The Chinese lost nearly 400 AV on the day. Japan lost about 60. It wasn't good, but it wasn't fatal in the short run. However, it will make my job defending China that much harder long term.

This is eerie - In the lastest posting in Greyjoy's AAR as the Japanese player, he reported the same figures for Chinese/Japanese losses. You have some kind of metaphysical connection going?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1004
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/13/2012 4:05:43 PM   
Canoerebel

I am not GJ's sock puppet!

I really, really like GreyJoy, because he showed the utmost in good sportsmanship in his game with rader. He's just a good man.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1005
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/13/2012 4:17:04 PM   
1EyedJacks

quote:

I am not GJ's sock puppet!

I really, really like GreyJoy, because he showed the utmost in good sportsmanship in his game with rader. He's just a good man.

U know I could not resist... <grin>

Attachment (1)

TTFN,

Mike

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1006
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/13/2012 4:21:14 PM   
Canoerebel

East and South China as of 4/18/42

Only the Changsha front has been active in the game, but I expect a rapid increase from the south, through Burma. I have very little to send that way, but I will have good defensive ground to work with.

The Chinese MLR is still intact, but the failed assault SE of Changsha today isn't going to help long term.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 8/13/2012 4:22:26 PM >

(in reply to 1EyedJacks)
Post #: 1007
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/13/2012 4:32:29 PM   
Canoerebel

North and West China as of 4/18/42.

The big problem is the Sian sector. A big IJ army can reach the plains, so China has to fall back to fight on good ground. That, in turn, means the Chinese must pull back from the Lanchow front. The Chinese are in position to retire in good order to establish a new MLR.

The real question is whether China will have enough supply left to support an army. I can fight in the forests and mountains between Chungking and Sian as long as my troops aren't crippled by lack of supply.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1008
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/13/2012 6:12:19 PM   
GreyJoy

i have very little time to post in these days...just to let you know that i keep following my delighted sock puppet

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1009
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/13/2012 7:49:55 PM   
Miller

There is no chance of China falling by July or August 42.....impossible really.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 1010
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/13/2012 8:59:40 PM   
Canoerebel

I should amend that to, "Falling enough to free up alot of IJ troops that can go elsewhere."

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 1011
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/13/2012 10:06:07 PM   
Canoerebel

4/19/42

Carriers: Indomitable (and the rest of the carriers) had no hostile encounters today, which was a blessing. Hopefully we've disengaged from the peril, though I'm sure Steve is trying to vector his subs to strike. The CV will retire to Capetown. Whereabouts of IJN carriers not certain, though I think the main IO KB is still somewhere close to the Sunda Straits.

India: 18th UK Div. will be arriving at Bombay in about four days. The Allied troops closest to the front all seem to have made good their retrograde movement, which is actually important for my long-term health. The Allies do not intend to flee without a fight, but before we can fight we have to ensure that we don't get cut off. Right now, I can't stop an IJ division using an Indian divisions, so until I can bring in more troops I have to keep my guys from getting isolated.

China: The entire Japanese airforce is here just mauling my army outside of Changsha. But I think the Allies will restore the MLR before Steve can make any progress, at least in the short term. Over at Lanchow, my advance army retired into the city from the hex to the north, putting my army on a good road where the likelihood of getting cut off is significantly less. Over at Sian, Steve's big army hasn't moved into the plains yet.

North America: Quiet.

Oz: Quiet.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1012
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/14/2012 7:41:30 PM   
Canoerebel

4/20/42

Carriers: Enemy whereabouts unknown. CV Indomitable is in good condition and good position to retire to Capetown to repair damage from the torp hit two days ago. Not sure yet where I'm going to position my IO carriers, but there's a good chance it'll be somewhere within hailing distance of Socatra.

India: Allied withdrawal from Calcutta and immediate vicinity complete. Now we begin a second phase of the India operations. Slowing the enemy advance across and down the subcontinent and waiting to see if Steve tries something on India's west coast. 18th UK Div. will arrive at Bombay in about two days. 95th East African Bde. will arrive at Socatra in two or three days, giving the base 400 AV. Supplies there are up to 110k, which a limit of 180k, so this base is rapidly growing. Karachi has 700k supply; Bombay 600k.

China: The Chinese are commencing the withdrawal from the forest back into Sian; from there, they'll have to pull back into the woods. Not much happening at Changsha at the moment except big air raids.

NoPac: Lots of enemy aircraft back at Juneau, which has a small airfield. I'm looking at the various bases to see if and how an invasion might work.

Oz: Quiet at the moment, but that's probably temporary.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1013
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/14/2012 9:09:16 PM   
Canoerebel

4/21/42

Carriers: Indomitable will be off map in two days. No sign of the IJN fleet.

India: No change since yesterday.

China: The Chinese moves to consolidate the line in the Sian/Lanchow sector seems to be going well. The Japanese are bombing the Studebaker out of the Chinese stack outside Changsha, then followed today with an attack (by the four IJA divisions) that got 1:1 odds and cost the Chinese more units. It will take my guys three to four more days to exit the hex, by which time they will be rather tattered.

North America: 32nd Division arrived. I'm weighing between sending her to Oz or keeping her for action in NoPac. I'm leaning towards the former.

Oz: Still momentarily quiet.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1014
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/14/2012 10:52:05 PM   
Canoerebel

About a week ago, a kind reader posted a helpful pointer about ship movement between Balboa and Capetown. He noted that a TF can be set to maximum speed, that doing so will reduce the time of transit from 21 days to 10 days (at least for TFs that travel the speed of CV Hornet and her escorts), and that doing so does not incur any damage or fuel consumption.

Presto, I gleefully mulled over the possibilities of expediting travel for my combat and carrier TFs from Pacific to Indian Ocean and back. Imagine how useful it might be when it comes time to use my carriers to cover an invasion in NoPac and then get them back to India to cover things there. Imagine the possibilities if Steve wasn’t aware of this shortcut, made a calculation based on the "normal" transit time of 21 days, and then stumbled into a carrier force he "knew" couldn't be present for another couple of weeks.

I mulled this over for a week. On the one hand, it seems a reasonable thing to take advantage of this because it “dampens” the effect of the design flaw that prevents a player from recalling TFs in transit between, say, Balboa and Capetown. You send Hornet on her way to African, need to recall her one day later, but can’t. She’s committed to the three-week journey there…and then three weeks back. Use the new shortcut and you cut the total time away to about 20 days.

Nevertheless, I don’t think the designers meant for off-map transit to work this way. I decided today that I will forego this. I notified Steve, who told me he wasn’t even aware this is possible.

This prompts me to write my thoughts about House Rules and Fair Play, as I see it and try to apply it, both in this game and in my previous game with Chez.

Over the past few months I’ve implemented a two-part test to determine whether a particular practice is unfair (according to my own lights): (1) was it reasonably possible in the real war, or a reasonable extension of what might have been possible? (2) if not, is there a reasonable way for my opponent to counter it?

If they answer to both is in the negative, then I won’t do it.

Three things I have done in this game and/or recent games have elicited at least some comments (not necessarily negative) regarding fairness. I am and have been satisfied that all three were fair given my test:

1) Use of Picket Ships: While I am shifting to using combat ships more and more for picket duty, I still use merchant vessels. This satisfies the first part of my two-prong test, because, while not strictly done in the war, it best replicates important aspects of the war that otherwise would be ludicrously absent. For instance, without use of picket ships, Steve could park the KB off the West Coast, largely undetected, and send it sprinting in to launch raids against industrial targets. I trust there is no player out there that thinks the KB could spend an extended period of time close to the West Coast without the Allies knowing about it and acting accordingly. Moreover, the 24-hour time frame of each turn prevents the Allies from reacting to a threat nearly as quick as they did in the real war. The Allies were not likely to blunder into the KB in the real war and would readily recall ships when circumstances warranted, but in the game you stuck for the full 24 hours. Finally, the Allies had a great deal more information about where enemy carriers were or weren’t than we get in the game. For all these reasons, use of picket ships is a reasonable extension of what the Allies would have done in the war had it been necessary. It is also possible for my opponent to counter the move using air strikes, combat ships, etc.

2) Using Carrier Planes from Airfields: I did this with Ent and Lex’s strike groups in my current game, basing them at Calcutta and scoring crippling hits against two of Steve's CVEs. I'd be surprised if this tactic wasn't done during the war, and it is a reasonable extension of what the Allies might have done under similar circumstances. Also, Steve can counter the tactic if he wishes to.

3) Fortress Palembang: My previous opponent was victimized by this gambit. It was slow in developing and he had it within his means to detect it and stop it or neutralize it for months. He didn’t and eventually it grew into something terrible. IE, he paid for his sins. Were I to somehow manage to implement this gambit against PzH, Nemo or Alfred, they would chuckle endlessly, cauterize the infection to some extent, easily take India, and eventually come back to liquidate my troops on Sumatra. While a full blown Fortress Palembang is an oddity, a Japanese player can definitely prevent it or use it to his advantage.

In my game with PzH, several of his moves have been or are troubling me, while others do not. Here are a few for each category, beginning with those that trouble me:

1) Use of para fragments to gain omniscient information about my garrison, strength and fort levels at Port Blair. This was not possible in the real war and there is no way that I can prevent a para-assault from accomplishing this task.
2) Use of para fragments to half the defensive AV of major outposts or repeatedly using paras, turn after turn, to achieve this effect. Steve has done this at Clark Field and at Changsha and tells me that he intends to do so at Singapore. I don’t like this, because it seems far-fetched that 16 paratroopers would scare the pants off a 100,000 man garrison, especially by the third or fourth time they assaulted over the period of a few days or weeks. Strongly fortified hexes ought to last for a while and abusing (according to my own lights) the paratroop effect to gain an advantage is stretching things.
3) Using small units to gain omniscient information about an enemy stack. Steve just used an artillery unit to cross a river and gain complete information about my stack on the far side. There is no way to stop this and it’s totally unrealistic. (To be candid, I responded to Steve’s use of this tactic by proposing to do the same thing, but my unit refused to cross the river. Now that I’ve thought further through it, though, I won’t use this tactic unless Steve insists on doing so himself.)

Here are a few other “wild and crazy” things that PzH is doing. These I don’t have as much of a problem with, as it is within my power to counter them, at least if I'm playing at an optimum level (which I admit that I don't):

1) Parking his carriers off California and striking my industrial targets, knowing that doing so doesn’t invoke Allied reinforcements, as would obviously occur in the real war. While this isn’t reasonable, I do have the means of countering the strategy by using picket ships and effectively employing my airforce.
2) Capturing rail stations and then transporting whole divisions long distances a day or two after an invasion. In reality, of course, it would take Japan forever to organize rail transportation, if ever. On the other hand, I have the ability to counter this tactic by defending my bases.
3) Capturing bases and instantaneously basing scores or hundreds of aircraft there. Never could have happened, but it’s up to me to keep him away from the bases, etc.
4) Using armor and big infantry units far, far, far beyond his lines, sometimes with their LOC severed. He has two infantry divisions all the way across China and nearly in Afghanistan, probably 1,000 miles from his nearest supply depot. He has armor scooting halfway into Oz with their LOC severed. He has infantry walking far into India nonstop. Silliness, but up to me to garrison and stop or defeat the invader.

I don’t expect everybody to agree with me. I’m not sure anybody will agree with me. But I post this to show that I try my best to play the game within a framework that is fair to both sides. While you might not agree with my two-part test, at least it offers some rational basis to figure out whether I’m abusing an opponent (or the game) unfairly.

Steve and I started the game without House Rules, not on the idea that we wouldn't ever need or use any, but on the idea that we should be able to address anything that comes up, which to this point we've done fairly efficiently.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1015
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/14/2012 11:08:59 PM   
Crackaces

quote:

Using armor and big infantry units far, far, far beyond his lines, sometimes with their LOC severed. He has two infantry divisions all the way across China and nearly in Afghanistan, probably 1,000 miles from his nearest supply depot. He has armor scooting halfway into Oz with their LOC severed. He has infantry walking far into India nonstop. Silliness, but up to me to garrison and stop or defeat the invader.

Supply is a very funny thing in this game. Besides being unable to replenish and upgrade -- it only reduces AV not completly prohibit attack like some other systems. Thus tanks can run on thin air so to spealk. The counter is to simply garrison / defend with enough firepower to stop the adjusted value of the onslaught.

It was a point of contention in my game also ...

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1016
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/14/2012 11:14:54 PM   
Cribtop

IMHO use of dismounted CV air groups is totally legit as both sides actually used this tactic extensively IRL. Use of Shokaku and Zuikaku air groups at Rabaul for some months and dismounting of Enterprise's groups to fight from Henderson Field being just two examples.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1017
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/14/2012 11:21:54 PM   
TheLoneGunman_MatrixForum

quote:

3) Using small units to gain omniscient information about an enemy stack. Steve just used an artillery unit to cross a river and gain complete information about my stack on the far side. There is no way to stop this and it’s totally unrealistic. (To be candid, I responded to Steve’s use of this tactic by proposing to do the same thing, but my unit refused to cross the river. Now that I’ve thought further through it, though, I won’t use this tactic unless Steve insists on doing so himself.)

A partial counter to this is to set some or even many of your units in "reserve" mode. Reserve units don't participate directly in combat, they only pursue the enemy if that enemy retreats. So his lone unit would run into a few of your combat units, get wiped out, but never give the enemy any intel on the AV of your reserve units. It may even lure the enemy into thinking you don't have the AV you really do in the hex.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 1018
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/14/2012 11:25:57 PM   
BBfanboy

Re: the carrier aircraft basing onto land fields, CV Enterprise probably saved Guadalcanal by sending her Wildcats there to attack the Tokyo Express and the bombers visiting daily. IIRC, Enterprise was damaged in one of the clashes with IJN carriers and Halsey ordered the airgroup sent to Henderson Field as the Big E retired for repairs.

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 1019
RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) - 8/14/2012 11:37:14 PM   
Canoerebel

I've really been mulling over this issue of late. As you can tell by the length of my post up above, it must've finally "bubbled to the surface" of my conscious mind today. I think the comments made at various times in recent months that my Palembang Gambit vs. Chez was unfair must've really bothered me on a subconcious level.

It is really, really important to me that I play fairly. I want you guys to know that.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1020
Page:   <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: War and Peas - Hortlund (J) vs. Canoe (A) Page: <<   < prev  32 33 [34] 35 36   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI