Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Another campaign ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> Another campaign ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another campaign ? - 4/17/2012 5:46:21 PM   
Curial

This system is probably the best at operational level in spite of the years.
It's a shame that there is no another campaign.
Why didn't Frank continue the series by improving it (in particular for maps) ? Why ?

< Message edited by Curial -- 4/21/2012 4:32:48 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Another campaign ? - 4/20/2012 8:05:49 PM   
Arthur Wellesley

Yes, Curial you are right.

What a pity.

(in reply to Curial)
Post #: 2
RE: Another campaign ? - 7/22/2012 2:13:52 AM   
Lorenzo

I remember there was a Napoleonic game where fog of war played a huge role.

Is this the game?

Veritas odium parit - Truth Purchaseth Hatred

(in reply to Arthur Wellesley)
Post #: 3
RE: Another campaign ? - 8/8/2012 2:57:05 PM   
RCHarmon

I just got this game and I like it very much. The series must not have sold very well and it came to an end. That is a shame because this game plays out well and with the fog of war can be very challenging.

I do like Frank Hunter games. He has a way of thinking up creative features for the game and generally he knows how to design a combat engine that delivers believable results for the time era being played. The only thing about Frank's games are the quirks. He never seems to work out all the bugs. For me the games are so good that I play even with the quirks, but I would like the games to be more solid.

I would really like to see this series continue as it is the only true conceptually Napoleonic game that I can justify to play. What I mean is that there are not many games that do Napoleon justice and this game is one of them. I partially blame myself as I didn't get this game until recently.

< Message edited by RCH -- 8/8/2012 2:58:42 PM >

(in reply to Lorenzo)
Post #: 4
RE: Another campaign ? - 9/9/2012 3:13:57 AM   
Kai

This is definitely the best operational Napoleonic game ever if you want a good miniatures battles campaign game. Best implementation of fog of war of any Naps game I've ever played.

(in reply to RCHarmon)
Post #: 5
RE: Another campaign ? - 1/22/2013 3:09:59 PM   
ironbmike

It really is a shame. This game is amazing. I'd love to see an ACW version as well. Is it moddable in any way?

(in reply to Kai)
Post #: 6
RE: Another campaign ? - 2/26/2013 11:55:26 AM   
Arthur Wellesley

quote:

ORIGINAL: ironbmike

It really is a shame. This game is amazing. I'd love to see an ACW version as well. Is it moddable in any way?

Yes it is. But it is a lot of work . There are two files for one scenario, i think *.adx and *.amx. One has all the map information in it (terrain, roads, rivers, bridges, ...) and the other one has the information of the rest, like starting date and end date (if you set the dates in a winter month it can snow), armies oobs and qualities of the units, victory conditions, etc.

If you have a lot of time and you know something about hex editing you have a chance to do all scenarios of the napoleonic wars and acw. Use a spreadsheet, where you can implement some usefull calculations.

What i don't know is, if you can change the calculations about combat, etc. But i think it's hardcoded.

IMO you can make a lot of the 18th to end of 19th era operational scenarios. I think, there aren't any railways in the code, but you can implement a date and hex, when and where a unit will arrive like reinforcements (for example Jackson on the battlefield of Bull Run).

Happy coding

(in reply to ironbmike)
Post #: 7
RE: Another campaign ? - 3/5/2013 2:44:25 PM   
ironbmike

I would give it a shot if I could open the .adx and .amx files. Do you know what software it would take?

Although honestly in lieu of any mods I'd rather just have a stable game that actually worked.

(in reply to Arthur Wellesley)
Post #: 8
RE: Another campaign ? - 7/3/2013 1:58:16 AM   
Agathosdaimon

any chance we can get in contact with Frank Hunter to get a copy of the previous game in this series Campaigns of La Grande Armee 1806? - if at least Matrix could make this available i would be pleased!

(in reply to ironbmike)
Post #: 9
RE: Another campaign ? - 7/3/2013 3:36:57 AM   
zgrant

Agathosdaimon,

You can click on Frank's name to get to his profile page. I'm confident you can send him an email or PM from there.

I hope that helps,

~Zachary

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 10
RE: Another campaign ? - 7/3/2013 3:42:29 AM   
Agathosdaimon

heh thats what i discovered after making this message and he has gotten back to me with great news on the next volume in this series - i mentioned in the other thread and i have sent you a pm thankyou!

(in reply to zgrant)
Post #: 11
RE: Another campaign ? - 6/21/2015 3:19:34 PM   
mike brown

My daughter just purchased this game for my birthday and i am very surprised as this game has been very addictive, just love the Fow, keeping the army supplied, pushing forward the depots with my advance plus the hospital and getting the wounded back with the eagles.
And above i am truly amazed at the support for the updates. I recently made the mistake of buying Crown of Glory, Emperors edition and the support for that game is non-existant. So i dearly wish Frank Hunter would plan other campaigns, i have become a very fervant fan, the BEST Napoleonic game i have ever played.

< Message edited by mike brown -- 6/21/2015 4:21:22 PM >

(in reply to Curial)
Post #: 12
RE: Another campaign ? - 6/21/2015 4:19:29 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike brown

My daughter just purchased this game for my birthday and i am very surprised as this game has been very addictive, just love the Fow, keeping the army supplied, pushing forward the depots with my advance plus the hospital and getting the wounded back with the eagles.
And above i am truly amazed at the support for the updates. I recently made the mistake of buying Crown of Glory, Emperors edition and the support for that game is non-existant. So i dearly wish Frank Hunter would plan other campaigns, i have become a very fervant fan, the BEST Napoleonic game i have ever played.

v3.03 fixed an error which had the wrong national unit counters showing and made the game effectively unplayable. With that fixed, I am overjoyed to be back in the game. v3.04 is about to be issued, which should resolve some other issues and Chemkid is making progress on his map mod, which will transform the look of the game.

Better and better.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 6/21/2015 5:20:08 PM >

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

(in reply to mike brown)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> Another campaign ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI