Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T025: 10.23.42

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T025: 10.23.42 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T025: 10.23.42 - 6/23/2012 2:52:09 PM   
mike1984

T025 10.23.42

Okay, the mud has dried up, and action is ready to explode with renewed fury. This might be the last turn before I launch an offensive operation on three fronts: The Caucasus from Astrakhan; El Alamein; and a new front in Morocco. The initial outline for this offensive is as follows:

T026:
Disband +15 Recon @ 4 Turns
T027:
Disband +5 Shock @ 2 Turns
Disband Operation Torch Sea Transport (30k)
British Land in Morocco
British Attack from El Alamein
Russians Attack from Astrakhan
T028:
Americans Land in Algeria

RUSSIA

Sector: Leningrad
The perimeter around Leningrad has stiffened against the German onslaught. Contracting inward worked well enough, not that I had a choice here, but the troops on the front lines are getting tired quickly. The Germans are constantly shuffling fresh units in and out of the attack, keeping their readiness much higher than my own troops' levels. At this point, having held against the Germans for more than a month, any more success in defending the city is gravy.

Sector: Yelets-Voronezh
My initial ambitions in this area have been foiled due to the mud season, as it allowed the Germans here to dig in and reach the all-valuable "fortified" entrenchment level. By all estimations, it seems the Germans are focusing all efforts on the Caucasus oil fields anyway, so keeping a ton of men and hardware in this area won't do much good. I've pulled three of four Guards armies from the front line, leaving the 1st Guards Army to cover the vacated section front. The 1st, 3rd, and 7th Guards armies will board trains for the Astrakhan sector. The buildup there will allow me to launch an offensive right into the flank of the German offensive toward Grozny. more on that in the next slides.

Sector: Astrakhan
Funneling this much strength into the Astrakhan sector serves two purposes: 1) protecting a critical supply crossroads; and 2) allow for possible offensive toward the Germans near Grozny or Stalingrad. If Grozny holds--doubtful without help--and Stalingrad is threatened, I can use this staging area to relieve the latter with pressure from the south. But as I expect, an offensive toward the southwest into the German left flank will be the likely course of action here. The Germans are being screened by the Romanians and a few supporting Wehrmacht divisions. If I can assemble a large enough force around Astrakhan, I should be able to handle the Romanians, and push the supporting Germans far enough that it would relieve pressure on Grozny. But time is very sensitive right now. More on that in a moment.

Sector: Grozny
My count is three German corps moving on Grozny, including the II SS Panzer Korps spearheading the assault right into the centre of my defenses. The 60th Army has been moved from the Voronezh sector and is now digging in to support my left flank. The 67th Army has landed from Astrakhan, and after staging for a week, will move to Grozny. Judging by the strength comparison, this force alone cannot withstand such a push by the Germans. But it could come down to how quickly I can organize and launch an offensive from Astrakhan.

Sector: Black Sea Coast
This area has been more difficult to defend than anticipated, as I've had to commit three armies to simply slow down the German advance. Now that that 46th Army has arrived in force, I'm hopeful I can mount a decent defense before the Germans reach Sokhumi.

AFRICA

Sector: El Alamein
I've lost contact with the southern flank of the DAK and Italian, causing some concern that my offensive will run into trouble. The bulk of the DAK panzers and support units remain along the coast road. But the last recon showed at least one mechanized regiment supporting the Italians on the southern flank of the Axis force.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 31
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T026: 10.30.42 - 6/23/2012 2:55:11 PM   
mike1984

T026 10.30.42

Disbands for T026:
Recon +15 @ 2T

RUSSIA

The line has somehow held against a half-dozen German assaults. My defenders took severe casualties in the process, losing a tank brigade and two smaller infantry brigades. But the 1 Heavy Tank brigade stormed into battle and would not relent. They literally saved the entire Leningrad perimeter from collapse. I'm not sure they could replicate that kind of gallant stand if the Germans, as expected, renew the attack with the same force. However, the Leningrad defenses have held longer than anticipated. Eventually, there won't be any more rested units to send into battle.

I've now assembled (1) five Guards armies and one Shock army south of Astrakhan. It was a gamble to keep them on the trains so close to the enemy positions, but with screening units out front (2), the odds were on my side that the embarked force would remain safe. As expected, Mark is being forced to send German line units to this area to help bolster the Romanian defenders, taking away his strength from Grozny. Even if it's only a small contingent sent north to meet my armies, it places the enemy in a Catch-22. Does he remain focused on Grozny, allowing a large Russian force ready to attack a weakly-defended left flank? Or does he send reinforcements in force to keep my Astrakhan force bottled up and away from the Grozny assaults, in turn weakening his chances to capture Grozny in any reasonable amount of time?

The 60th and 54th Armies held strong against a very formidable German attack. Now with no fewer than three SS Panzer divisions, and two Panzer Korps, supported by regular infantry corps, it's obvious Mark is putting all his eggs in the Grozny basket. Surprisingly, the German attack has been concentrated on my strongest point, just west of the city. At that section, I have good interior lines that allow reserves to shuffle between spots that are buckling, as happened during the first wave of assaults. Even though it's more heavily defended on a single-hex basis, it would probably do well for the Germans to go right at Grozny itself. But who am I to suggest how to defeat my positions?

The bulk of the 45th Army that was cut off has now surrendered. But the 46th Army is holding its ground, trying to delay or prevent the German advance on Sokhumi. I'm very stretched for units at this point. If I were to reinforce this area, it would have to come all the way from Astrakhan by sea, then by rail from Baku. It would take at least three turns/weeks for help to arrive. So I'm kind of risking my butt here by not calling for reinforcements just yet.

Sector: The Caucasus - OPERATION: WATERFALL

This is a double for theatre update and operational plans. As suggested, the idea behind this offensive is to break through the Romanian defenders (1), screened on the right against counterattack (2), while holding firm at Grozny (3). This should hopefully disengage the Germans that are trying to capture Grozny, forcing an about-face to confront my charging attack force of four Guards armies and one Shock army.

AFRICA

Sector: El Alamein - OPERATION: TURNPIKE
Plans for this operation have been in the works for over a month now, as I've hinted at the strategy you see in this slide. It will be one big wheel maneuver, designed to take advantage of the weaker Italian units screening the southern flank of the Afrika Korps. I do know that there is at least a mechanized DAK division in the southern section, but if it can be surrounded and quickly dispatched, success here is at least likely. The first wave (1) will be the X Corps tanks supported by the I Corps infantry, attacking westward into the Italians. At this point, the V Corps will move west from El Alamein (2) to act as a quick-strike reserve should a counter attack come from the western flank of the I/X Corps. Finally, should this first part work well enough, the assault force will wheel again (3), this time to the north and into the rear of the DAK and Italians along the coast.

Sector: Morocco - OPERATION: TORCH

The Yanks are getting into the action next turn/week with this operation. There will be four task forces. The British will be landing in North/South task forces along the Moroccan coast (1). That will be the first wave, landing on Turns 027 and 028. This should force the Vichy French to capitulate within a few turns. The Americans will land in West/East task forces on the Algerian coast (2). Those landings will start on Turns 028, after the British landings. Once ashore, the US forces will move to link up quickly at Algiers. At some point following the Vichy surrender, the British force will move back to the port hexes, recoup supply and readiness, then shuttle around Tangier to support the US force advancing on Tunisia. The British 1st Airborne will remain on an airfield hex at Casablanca, for later use.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 32
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T027: 11.06.42 - 6/23/2012 2:57:40 PM   
mike1984

T027 11.06.42
*This turn's AAR is less detailed than originally composed, as I accidentally erased the first edition of it. Sorry.

RUSSIA

I anticipated that any day now the Leningrad perimeter would buckle. Now it's happening, with a central hex falling to repeated German attacks.

The German panzers have pushed aside my left flank that was anchored along the beach. Now they control the road, forcing another withdrawal. The 46th Army is now at Sokhumi, ready to disembark and form yet another defensive line with the sea on one side, and the mountains on the other.

Sector: Astrakhan - OPERATION WATERFALL
The first wave of attacks southward have run into three Romanian infantry corps, supported by one panzer division and one mechanized infantry division. The 10th Guards have pushed back the centre element of the II Corps, crossing the river after one try. To their right, the 4th Shock is battling with the Romanian IV Corps, which is holding better than the II Corps. As the 4th Shock occupies the IV Corps, the 1st Gds Tank storms into a gap in the Axis line, crushing the mechanized infantry division trying to hold its ground. Once reaching the canal, the Romanian V Corps is discovered digging in on the opposite bank. To the north, Germans are massing for what looks to be a counter strike at my flank. The 3rd Gds Tank, with help from an Op Group, is screening that section, until I know better what kind of threat this could develop into. The 7th Guards are being held in reserve north of the rail bridge crossing, behind the 10th Guards. The 5th Gds Tank has arrived by rail, and will stage for at least one turn/week before being committed to battle. If needed, the 40th and 56th Armies are read to move out of their entrenchments to blunt the Germans attacking from the northwest.

The I SS Division of the I SS Panzer Korp attacked my position in the centre three times, only to be thrown back with devastating losses each time. I wouldn't expect to see them in battle for the rest of the month. However, being pinched on both sides, my line eventually gave way to the regular panzer corps. The 67th Army has moved in from the coast. Though I'm not expecting to oust the Germans from their gains, I can hold Grozny for longer with the fresh reinforcements.

AFRICA

Sector: El Alamein - OPERATION TURNPIKE
The I & X Corps strike force has successfully turned the Axis flank. Wheeling to the north, the X Corps tanks wipe out an Italian infantry unit, then run into the 90. Leichte of DAK. In a surprising move, Mark has allowed Rommel to get ambitious--or suicidal--by attacking my defensive line in front of El Alamein. The 10. Panzer Division is leading the way, right into the gap between my I/X Corps strike force and the advancing V Corps. To the north, the rest of the DAK, supported by the Italians, pressures the XXX Corps. Looks like a general advance is in order for the entire British Eighth Army.

Sector: Morocco-Algeria - OPERATION TORCH
The British have landed with no resistance from the Vichy French, though I've ordered no engagement with the Vichy until negotiations can be complete for their surrender. Next up will be the second wave of British and Americans in Algeria.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 33
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T028: 11.13.42 - 6/23/2012 2:58:58 PM   
mike1984

T028 11.13.42

In a catastrophic mishap, the centre of Leningrad was left defended by a single tank brigade! Naturally, after the tactical reserves were swept aside, the heart of Leningrad is now in the hands of Hitler's horde. The city has capitulated, which will likely send shock waves through the entire Allied world. The remnants of the 42nd and 55th Armies in Leningrad, and the 23rd north of the city, will now die a slow, painful death. It was my mistake early on not to try to reach the city for a breakout. Now it's cost me dearly.

As the Germans arrive in force to my northwest flank, I will have to commit more of my reserves to counter that threat. The German XI Korps has arrived with decent readiness for battle, while other units from almost everywhere else on the Russian front are throwing together a defensive line to the south and west of my advance. The LXXXVIII Korps has been shipped in from France, and even a division from the VII Korps from Voronezh has been spotted. The Romanian IV Corps is now cut off by the 4th Shock Army, whle the II Corps is being pressed strongly by the 10th Guards Army. I'm tempted to make another strong push south with the reserve 7th Guards Army and the 5th Gds Tank. However, with the pressure coming on my flank, compounded by the impending loss of Grozny to the south, I'm much better off securing my gains here and sending a few more Nazis to their maker. Ghoulish, I know. The 40th and 56th Armies are advancing westward from their defensive positions, while the 39th Army is joining not far behind. This should blunt the Germans, and even push them back a bit.

Even though I still control the city with a strong force there, the surrounding defenses are falling apart quickly, especially to the west of Grozny, where the 54th and 60th Armies are being pushed back into the foothills. My only hope is that the contraction of my lines will mean a tougher resistance against the Germans. Mark now has more supporting units, such as the mobile supply point and some light artillery, which will serve him well in the coming struggle for the city. I'm not confident about this situation, but I'm not losing hope just yet, either.

The 46th Army is being pushed back toward Sokhumi, where the reformed 45th Army waits digging in.

Sector: El Alamein-El Qattara
The I/X Corps strike force has run out of steam pretty quickly, as the harsh desert conditions have knocked out a good number of the tanks, and supply is down to nothing. The 90. Leichte that tried to block my assault was swallowed up with barely a fight. I still can't figure that one out. An entire DAK division basically surrendering outright. Still, the 10. Panzer blocks my V Corps from reinforcing the I/X Corps force, which is now growingly vulnerable to counter attack. This is a critical juncture of the battle for North Africa.

Sector: Morocco-Algeria
The United States Army now has four full divisions on African soil, with both task forces arriving in Algeria moments after the Vichy surrender. Algiers is secured, but the key will be to move quickly enough eastward to push out the Italians before they can dig into the mountain passes of Tunisia.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 34
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T029: 11.20.42 - 6/23/2012 3:00:32 PM   
mike1984

T029 11.20.42

RUSSIA

We're officially in mop-up duty here. Unfortunately, I'm the one being mopped up. The Fins are holding at the northern stop line, while the Germans squeeze from the south. There was a 95 shock level following the fall of the city, but that only lasted one turn. It wasn't too bad.

German reinforcements arrived quickly by rail, taking advantage of my blunder of not blowing the bridges along the Don River. Had I done that, those reinforcements--including several panzer divisions--would have been delayed at least another turn or two. Now, as you can see in the slide, they have swept around a large chunk of the 4th Shock and 1st Gds Tank, cutting them off from the rest of my force. The only safety valve here is the reserve of the 7th Guards and 5th Gds Tank. They should be able to counter the German move, but it's not a guarantee. The Germans are well-rested from not having to travel very far off-rail before entering combat. Mark said here that I have a shot to break out. I'm not so sure. Some of his units from the Grozny sector have pulled out of there to reinforce his line to the south of Astrakhan. So now OPERATION: WATERFALL looks to become a minor failure. Depending on whether or not I can rescue the pocket, it could very well become an outright victory for the Axis.

The 2 SS Panzer Division took the reigns and pushed back the 67th Army even farther, capturing the first of two airfields west of the city. The right wing of my defenses, manned by the 8th Army, is holding firm against little pressure. it will be up to the 67th to hold back the Germans. The 54th and 60th Armies might have to withdraw into the mountain pass to T'Bilisi.

AFRICA

Sector: El Alamein - OPERATION TURNPIKE
My over-extended offensive was caught with its pants down, and the 1st and 10th Armour have been destroyed by the hard charging 15. and 21. Panzer Divisions. Before that, however, the 10. Panzer was enveloped and forced to surrender. While the British losses this turn were severe, the Axis are less able to absorb that kind of hit. The V Corps and O'Connor's newly arrived VIII Corps will move to support the
exposed I & X Corps north of El Qattara. To the north, the XXX Corps rushed out of its trenches, capturing handfuls of Italians in the process. I'm expecting Rommel's force to try to batter my I/X Corps as
much as possible, while pulling back to the west. It's not worth it for them to stay and fight my five corps.

Sector: Algeria - OPERATION TORCH
The V Corps forced the surrender of the Italian unit guarding the coast road and rail line, opening up the critical path to Tunisia. The II Corps will hold back and finish off the Italians, while its 9th and 34th Divisions are boarding transports back in southern England. The British First Army units are forging a supply route from Casablanca to Algeria. However, due to the mountains/distance, supply will be at low levels by the time it reaches the Americans pushing on Tunisia.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 35
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T030: 11.27.42 - 6/23/2012 3:03:03 PM   
mike1984

T030 11.27.42

RUSSIA

Sector: Finland-Karelia
I’m slowly building up strength north of the Karelian Peninsula. Now the 70th Army, 2nd Gds Army, 5th Shock Army, and the lead elements of the 3rd Gds Army. There is no plan for this sector. But I’m not leaving anything to chance. Now that Leningrad is almost gone, I have to be prepared for an offensive by the Axis from Finland. Either that, or I have to be ready to strike from here into Finland, should an opportunity present itself. I’ve learned some lessons from previous exploits into Finland, so it would hopefully be more successful than the last time out.

The Leningrad perimeter is now a withering pocket. This might be the final update for this sector.

The Germans have lead a counter attack right into the gut of the Russian Guards. In the process, a small pocket of the 4th Shock Army has been bitten off, and will likely be forced to surrender. Beyond the pocket, the Germans were only able to push back my front line a hex on average. The 7th Guards are staging just north of the German spearhead. Should the 3rd & 5th Gds Tank, and 4th Shock need help, this will be a valuable reserve to punch back. That counter punch might come sooner than later, as the Germans are extremely tired, with their readiness levels shot and in the red. While the bulk of their force is made from the XI and LXXXVIII Korps to the north and south, with the XLVII Panzer in the middle, the Germans have a patchwork assembly of units from all along the Russian Front.

Sectors: Grozny-Black Sea Coast
No movement in either of these sectors, which leads me to believe the Germans are simply too tired to make a decent push. It’s a nice reprieve for my troops here, though once the Germans are ready, I’m afraid Grozny is a goner.

AFRICA

Sectors: El Alamein-Tobruk
I’m seeing decent progress on the flanks, but the center isn’t moving as quickly. That’s partly due to my concentration on collapsing the Axis flanks, so it’s not necessarily a bad thing. The I&X Corps strike force is extremely beat up at this point in the offensive, and might soon have to retire to the rear to recoup. The V and XIII Corps are moving forward and will soon be in a good position to relieve the I&X Corps. To the north along the coast, the 7th Armour had been cut off, but not eliminating the 7th Armour looks like a big blow to the Axis cause here, while giving a boost to my own. Now it’s all about knocking out the Axis forces in Egypt-Libya quickly enough to regroup and recapture Tobruk. Then it’s on to Tripoli and Tunisia.

Sector: Algiers
With such minor resistance after the Vichy surrender, progress in western Africa has been flawless. The US V Corps is approaching Bougie. The II Corps just received the 9th and 34th Divisions from England, nearly doubling the corps’ combat strength. It’s finishing off the two Italian divisions left in the mountains. Once the British II Corps moves up from southwest of Algiers, it will take over clean-up operations along the coast and keep the supply line open.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 36
RE: TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T030: 11.27.42 - 6/24/2012 11:48:53 AM   
Telumar

Great read! +1

Looking forward for the next update.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 37
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T031: 12.04.42 - 6/29/2012 6:11:09 AM   
mike1984

T031 12.04.42

The lines have been restored, albeit with the loss of the 4th Shock units in the pocket. The 7th Gds Army has been committed to battle against the LXXXVIII Korps, not pushing back the Germans, but helping stymie their advance. No other major movement this turn in this sector. Stabilizing the lines were priority #1, and I’m expecting to renew pressure on the Axis next turn.

For the second straight turn, no real action in either sector. Mark indicated that this was due to air power being reallocated to the Astrakhan sector. I’ll take it.

Sector: Egypt-Libya
The 2nd New Zealand broke through to relieve the 7th Armour. It’s a critical victory for the British in North Africa. Not only does it keep a valuable mechanized unit in tact, but holds the wedge in place along the coast road. To the south, the I/X Corps is holding its ground while the V and XIII Corps press the Axis.

Sector: Algeria
The quick progress in Algeria has slowed, but hasn’t stopped. The Italian division in Phillipeville could be a tough nut to crack. With the 2nd Armored and rest of the V Corps arriving, it shouldn’t take more than a turn or two to dislodge the defenders and press on into Tunisia. The II Corps continues its slow march east from Algiers, as the British 52nd Division arrives to sweep the Italians from the mountains.

Sector: Tunis
The Italians tried to break my blockade of Tunis, but the Royal Navy battleship and carrier groups, and the US Ranger and New York groups blew the enemy from the water. Now there is an Italian division caught at sea, which should be no problem to destroy.

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 38
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T032: 12.11.42 - 6/30/2012 2:38:04 AM   
mike1984

T032 12.11.42

Sectors: The Caucasus
Very little action in this region. It’s a far cry from just a few turns ago. But there seems to be a recovery period happening on both sides right now. OPERATION: WATERFALL was far from successful, but it did draw units away from Grozny, and forced Mark to rethink his strategy in the entire Caucasus region. I wouldn’t go down without a fight. My force south of Astrakhan is still very formidable, and has the power to renew the offensive, should the opportunity present itself. The problem actually comes from hundreds of miles north, in Finland. With the fall of Leningrad, the Axis are now going to concentrate on capturing Murmansk, my critical Lend Lease port. I’m being forced in a way to keep pumping troops into the Karelian region, with the idea to keep the Axis from leaving an open path to Viipuri. I could sure use these troops in the Caucasus. If they were available, I’d probably renew the offensive and push on to relieve Grozny. Come to think of it, that might not be a bad risk to take at this stage. However, as usual, the clock is ticking.

Sector: Egypt-Libya Border
The Axis have been pushed back far enough where a general withdrawal has apparently been ordered. With Tobruk as the only escape route back to mainland Europe, I’m likely going to set up a blockade of that port with the Royal Navy’s two Mediterranean squadrons and the Royal Navy Aircraft Carrier group, all currently stationed in Alexandria. The DAK has pulled back toward Sidi Barrani, concentrating its power on the XXX Corps, which has pushed deep into the flank along the coast. Now that the XIII Corps has arrived to continue to push west, it’s now a matter of speed. I’m trying my best to get the I, V, VIII and X Corps moving west, but key Italian strongholds are slowing things to a painful level. I can’t attack into dunes or badlands with certain units, meaning a few of these Italian divisions are in places I can’t get to. Victory is at hand, but not yet complete.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 39
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T033: 12.18.42 - 7/2/2012 11:51:40 AM   
mike1984

T033 12.18.42

No slides this turn. Just the report.

RUSSIA

Little combat again. But the Germans are now relieving front line units with fresh ones from the Leningrad sector. This wasn’t unexpected. The battle for Grozny should resume shortly. The Black Sea coast defenders are holding against less pressure than before, and like Grozny, should be seeing renewed attacks soon.

Up in the Astrakhan bulge, no significant attacks from the Axis. But as is the case everywhere in the Caucasus, the Germans are moving in fresh troops to take up the charge.

AFRICA

Sector: Libya
As the battle moves out of Egypt, my objective is to trap as many German units as possible. The key here is eliminating the DAK units because they are the most dangerous. The Italians are withering away as the British advance west.

Sector: Algeria

The US V Corps is held up at Phillipeville, where the Italian 11th Army’s 51 Division is fortified in the town. The II Corps is moving steadily east toward the Tunisian border, while the British II Corps sweeps down south toward Tebessa. At Kessarine Pass, recon has spotted a German mechanized division. I’m not sure yet how to handle that situation, as I do not have the force necessary to simply overwhelm the Germans dug in there. But if I can keep them away from the American column, that’s good enough for now.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 40
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T034: 12.25.42 - 7/3/2012 5:33:27 AM   
mike1984

T034 12.25.42

Sector: Murmansk
The Germans have renewed their push to capture this vital Lend Lease port, with early success. It won’t be so easy, however, to just waltz into the city. I’m planning on shipping an entire Shock or Guards army up to fortify the defense, in cooperation with a demonstration in the southern portion of Finland.

The city has fallen with a clap of thunder. Mark even said he didn’t expect to capture Grozny in one turn, but that’s what he did, going for broke and attacking directly into the city. The original German plan was to capture the adjacent hexes to cut the defenses in two. But that was tough sledding. Now I’m left to scramble the defenses and plan my next move. The next likely Axis target is T’Bilisi, then Baku. But both are very tough to get to, compared to Grozny, which was in a terrible defensive position. I’m probably going to stay put next to Grozny, in order to keep the Germans guessing and prepared for a counter offensive. Of course, that’s unlikely to happen here, but you never know. Northwest of Grozny, I’ve spotted at least two airborne/airlanding divisions resting on airfield hexes.

Sector: Libya-Tobruk - OPERATION TURNPIKE
The battle is moving west, as Rommel is making a run for it to Tobruk and mainland Europe. The Italians are fighting to cover the withdrawal, aided by the remaining German units. Much of the DAK is trying to get to the port, which I briefly blocked with the Royal Navy and Allied naval squadrons. The Italian Navy sortied into the area, knocking out two battleships and at least a few cruisers. It was a rough loss for the RN, but not one that can’t be absorbed in th end. Now that I know where the Italian squadron is (in Tobruk, protecting the troop transports), I can order a naval air attack on the big boats.

Sector: Algeria-Tunisia
Approaching the border was slower than expected, as the 51st Italian Division held Phillipeville for two full turns before the V Corps overwhelmed the fortified town. The 2nd Armored rolled toward the border, with the V Corps recon screening the southern flank. Farther south, the British II Corps is approaching Tebessa and Kessarine Pass, where at least two Italian divisions, and a mechanized German division are digging in. I’m not concerned with dislodging the Axis units down here. Rather, my goal is to capture Tunis as quickly as possible. The British 1st Airborne Division is resting and ready at the Algiers airfields, and will likely see its first action in the next few turns. OPERATION: TORCH has been a success.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 41
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T035: 1.1.42 - 7/5/2012 7:19:44 PM   
mike1984

T035 01.01.43

I’ve shipped the 5th Shock Army up to Murmansk, bolstering the defenses even more. I’d imagine Mark will make a concerted effort to take the port city, as it would really hurt my supply and Lend Lease capabilities. There will likely be the need to send more troops up here, but I’m going to see what the Germans do now that they’re facing an entire additional army.

ELSEWHERE

NW Europe - The strategic bombing campaign is sputtering along. Losses have been high, so success has been minimal.

North Africa - The British are approaching Tobruk just as the Axis are leaving it. Some of the Axis are being shipped to Tunis, where the Americans are on the outskirts of the city.

The Caucasus - Minimal skirmishes, but nothing of consequence.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 42
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T036: 1.8.42 - 7/6/2012 7:19:05 AM   
mike1984

T036 01.08.43

RUSSIA

The division east of the city has been a tough nut to crack, even though it’s cut off and surrounded. With all the resources wasted on trying to capture the unit, I’m expecting a counter attack by the rest of the German forces south of this small pocket. For now, however, Murmansk looks to be secure. In the coming turns, I’ll surely need to add more reinforcements here to protect the Lend Lease arrivals.

Minor actions result in little progress. I’m pulling back some units that were jammed up against the mountains south of Grozny, to avoid capture. But my plan remains to bottle up the Germans in Grozny, forcing them to fight their way out of the city if they want to advance on T’Bilisi or Baku. Along the Black Sea Coast, my lines are holding much better now, adding another defensive line just south of the main line.

AFRICA

Sector: Tobruk
The battle for eastern North Africa is winding down, as the Germans and Italians are either evacuated to Tunisia or Italy, or completely destroyed. The Italian Army HQ and DAK HQ have been caught, and should surrender the next turn. The XXX Corps approaches Tobruk, where a lone Italian division stands in the way. I’d expect a sharp, but relatively quick fight to retake the city after long months in Axis hands.

Sector: Tunisia
The US II Corps has reached the outskirts of Tunis, where it’s spotted two mechanized light divisions and a panzer division. It also looks like the mobile supply point for Panzer Armee Afrika is now at Tunis. Some Italian divisions are here to support the main German force.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 43
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T037: 1.15.42 - 7/7/2012 1:43:15 PM   
mike1984

T037: 01.15.43

RUSSIA

Relief has broken my thin line surrounding the - Division east of Murmansk. But the big problem is the center of the line, which suddenly gave way to strong attacks by the Germans and Fins. It seems the rail artillery weakened my defenses enough that the Russians were no match for the Axis assault. I’ll have to send more reinforcements to Murmansk in the upcoming turns, much earlier than I hoped to need them. The 2nd Guards is ready to move, but haven’t boarded trains yet to Archangelsk’s docks. The only way to Murmansk is via the Arctic Ocean. Can help arrive in time?

AFRICA

Sector: Tobruk
The British 8th Armoured Brigade has rolled into a vacant Tobruk, the last Italians waving goodbye from the transports to Italy. Now it’s on to Tripoli and Tunisia.

The 999. Leichte surprised the 9th Division by hopping out of its trenches and attacking the tired Americans. The “Varsity” boys fell back, and despite the help of the 34th Division, the Germans secured their position southwest of Tunis. With the Canadians boarding ships from England to Algeria, and the rail line from Algiers to the Tunis front lines being repaired, it looks as though the Americans will have to sit tight for the fresh divisions to arrive.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 44
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T038: 1.22.42 - 7/9/2012 5:10:11 AM   
mike1984

T038: 01.22.43

RUSSIA

This situation has gone from stable to disastrous in a matter of just one turn. Not only have the Axis blown apart my defensive lines, but a German naval squadron (!) is blocking the supply route from the Russian ports to the south. Unless I can break the blockade, while simultaneously transporting the 2nd Guards into the port of Murmansk, the city and valuable supply port will be in Axis hands by next turn. I’m not confident right now. Not at all. I’m not even sure that at this point, a rescue effort it worth the risk. What if the 2nd Guards can’t make it there in time, but get stranded at sea with roving German ships? What if the Guards do arrive, but are trapped and squeezed into surrender before firing a shot? Would the Guards be better used to launch an offensive into Finland, or concentrate elsewhere on the Russian Front?

For a few turns now, I’ve built up some strength in the southern arm of the Astrakhan bulge. However, with the loss of Grozny, and the need for help elsewhere on the front, I’m not going to renew the offensive that was started with OPERATION: WATERFALL. The 3rd Guards and 2nd Gds Tank Armies were railed here in case of an attack. Now they are going to be sent to a different sector in the north, where I’m hoping to force the Germans to battle in the open plains.

Was that a glider division I just saw pass overhead? Yes, it seems Mark is getting bold now, sending an airborne operation into the rear area of my Grozny defenses. I’m not sure what he’s expecting to accomplish, but I imagine it won’t last long with little supply and a few decent rear-guard units roaming about. Aside from that little show, the Grozny situation is kind of like cancer. You can slow it down, but it never really goes away. The Germans are slowly eating away at the armies I once had defending the city. Though they are still strong enough to prevent a sweeping breakthrough to Baku, it’s not an improving situation by any means. I’m going to soon have to consider moving some units back to form a new defensive line, before allowing the Germans access to more real estate.

AFRICA

The V Corps is close, but not in battle formation. Much of the II Corps is finally getting some resupply, but they are still very low on the readiness scale. Once the rail line to Algiers is repaired, I can transport the I Canadian Corps by train to the Tunis sector. That will eliminate any attrition that would normally occur by marching/driving that long distance. Fresh, well-rested men and armor should have little trouble bagging the final Axis redoubt in North Africa.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 45
Oy! - 7/9/2012 5:15:57 AM   
mike1984

I'm having a half-freakout right now. My PC at home is where I kept most of my TOAW stuff--save files, pbem files, screenshots, etc. Unfortunately, that computer may have fallen victim to a nasty Trojan that rendered my HDD paralyzed or dead. I'm not sure, but after reading up on the symptoms (will recognize, but not "detect" storage devices on bootup, and won't go past the crcdisk.sys line when booting in safe mode) it seems to be the cause of this.

Now, I'm fortunate that I keep my running AAR text in a Google doc online. However, I'm a moron and didn't save my screenshots remotely like the writeups. So, I'll now have to go back into the .pbl files I receive from Mark, and re-shoot each turn's slides for the AAR. That sucks, because it's much better to use the "DO NOT SEND" file (.sal) that generates after every time my turn is saved/sent to Mark. But what can I do, ya know?

Unless I can somehow save the screenshots from the affected HDD, this AAR will have to use those less-than-ideal screenshots.

Just a heads up.

< Message edited by mike1984 -- 7/9/2012 5:16:29 AM >

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 46
RE: Oy! - 7/9/2012 8:28:11 AM   
Martin_Goliath

That's awful - hope you can have it sorted out, not only for the sake of this excellent AAR.
Martin

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 47
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T039: 1.29.43 - 7/10/2012 5:53:53 AM   
mike1984

T039: 01.29.43

RUSSIA

Axis troops are now on the verge of capturing Murmansk. The 18. PzG of XXXIX-B Panzer has cut off a chunk of the 33rd, 42nd and 5th Shock Armies, giving the enemy a three-sided attack path to the city. The Adm Sheer squadron of the Kriegsmarine is still blocking the shipping lane, meaning that not only can’t I reinforce the city, but can’t evacuate it, either. The British Royal Navy sent over a battleship squadron to help break the blockade, but that could take up to two turns to destroy the German squadron. Losing Murmansk will be a big blow to the Allied/Russian cause, but not as much of a mental shock as losing Leningrad. Archangelsk is a completely different (and unlikely) target for the Axis, which means the Lend Lease should continue to come in with only minor disruption.

Sector: Yelets
Russian tanks actually penetrated two hexes into the German position immediately adjacent to Yelets. Having massed field artillery here, I feel confident I can replicate that kind of breakthrough in the upcoming turns. And now with the arrival of the 2nd Gds Tank and 3rd Guards Army, I’ll have more to support and follow up on any gains. I’m hoping this area can become a focal point for the front once again, as the northern and southern extremes have seen poor performance by the Russians.

The Germans are attempting something here, but I’m not sure the end game. The attack is being led by the XIV Panzer, supported by the XI Korps and other detached panzer and infantry divisions. This is a very hodge-podge offensive, at least in terms of formation cohesion. I noticed some units coming up from a local reserve, some of which looked like SS Panzer Korps divisions. They haven’t entered the battle as of yet, but it’s something to keep in mind here. The XI Korps and XIV Panzer divisions could be used to soften up my front lines (which they have so far) for the SS Panzer divisions to strike the fatal blow. Still, this offensive doesn’t seem to have the juice for a strike all the way to Astrakhan. My assumption right now is that it’s to keep my forces here pinned down and away from Grozny, since the Axis get a big bonus for holding that city for 24 turns after capture.

Speaking of which, this sector just got fun in a hurry, as the LW Airborne dropped a division plus two regiments on to the supply lines leading to Grozny. Mark mentioned this is an attempt to break up what’s quickly becoming a stalemate at Grozny. I’m not sure it will work. Considering how successful the Germans have been in the Caucasus so far, however, there’s no way I can rule out anything here. The 18th Army is stationed a few hundred miles to the south along the road to Baku. I’ll have to call them up to dispose of the LW Airborne units, as I can only dedicate maybe a few units right now from the Grozny sector. It’s about containment until the 18th Army arrives.

Every time I think I’ve set up a decent defensive line, the Germans (supported by Italian mountain units) break through and force a withdrawal. It was not a big problem at first. But now I’m running out of time and land. If the Axis can get into the open, they will have a clear shot at T’Bilisi, as I don’t have nearly enough in this sector to protect the city or surrounding territories, including the oil fields.

AFRICA

Slow going here, but the Germans were able to sneak the 15. Panzer Division onto transports back to Italy. That was a big opportunity missed by the Americans, as the 15. Pz was running on fumes (on red) and could have been destroyed with a good push. The US V Corps is moving up on the II Corps’ right flank. The Canadians have landed their I Corps, and should be able to rail most of it to the front in the next turn or two. That will be the likely end to the Axis presence in North Africa, since the Canadians will be rested and full-strength from not having to march/drive all the way from Algiers. The Southern Exclusion Zone protecting the “Soft Underbelly” of Europe has been lifted, so capturing Tunis is now the last piece of the pie.

ELSEWHERE

Libya - The British Eighth Army has cleared out all non-static Axis units in Libya, and is rolling quickly toward Tripoli.

NW Europe - The RAF and US 8th AF have increased bombing raids on the German industrial and supply centers along the Ruhr and Rhine. Increasing the EEV points will punish the Axis side.

(in reply to Martin_Goliath)
Post #: 48
RE: TR 42-45 1.TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T040: ... - 7/12/2012 7:24:30 AM   
mike1984

T040: 02.05.43

RUSSIA

How the city’s defenders held on, I’ll never know. But somehow Murmansk remains in Russian hands. I was prepared to write this off last turn, but looks like things will take a bit longer for the Axis. To the south, the Luftwaffe Field Korps is arriving from western Europe. Its destination is unknown.

The lines have remained still since the brief breakthrough I managed last turn. I’m going to renew the assault this turn. The new phase of the war on the Eastern Front is about to begin, and the Yelets-Voronezh sectors are likely to be the flashpoint. The 68th Army has been formed and transported westward from the Urals. Why is this important? Because the 68th Army has three divisions of airborne troops. These will be the first Russian airborne units available in this scenario. Given a few turns to build up strength, coupled with a bridge-bombing campaign to cut off reinforcements, and we have a nice little offensive operation to blow the German lines wide open.

So far, the German offensive has netted them only a hex or two. The battle has been raging now for two turns, with moderate losses on my side, and moderate to high losses on the Axis side. It was a fortunate move for me that the Germans attacked when they did, because I was one turn away from shipping out the 1st Gds Tank and 4th Shock Army to other sectors in the north. But now I’m able to commit them to this battle and counter any gains made by the Axis. With plans in the works for the Yelets-Voronezh offensive, my goal here at Astrakhan is to hold my ground and possibly give the Axis a black eye in the process.

My positions were bound to fall apart sooner or later. The German airborne assault just hastened the move away from Grozny. I’m still going to have to destroy the German airborne troops, but that will be so I can have a clear withdrawal route to the coast line. Once there, the battle should resemble what’s been going on along the Black Sea Coast, hopefully with better early results.

AFRICA

Sectors: North Africa
The Americans are holding the Axis inside Tunis, while the Canadians have boarded trains for the front. Near Tripoli, the 10th Arm/X Corps has reached the outer defenses. The rest of the British Eighth Army is moving west from Benghazi.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 49
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T041: 2.12.43 - 7/12/2012 7:26:15 AM   
mike1984

T041: 02.12.43

RUSSIA

The city has fallen to the Axis. The leftover 5th Shock, 14th, 19th, and 33rd armies will be enveloped and captured. This is likely the final update from Murmansk.

Sector: Yelets-Voronezh
OPERATION: MEGAPHONE is now active, with plans being laid out for what is to be a multi-faceted attack via air and ground. Two airborne divisions will drop into two zones at rail junctions , both of which hold the approach to the sector for reinforcements. This will not only physically block the rail and road, but destroy the rail lines so that even if the airborne units are destroyed, Axis reinforcements will have to disembark farther away from the point of attack. At the same time, two Guards armies (one tank army), supported by two more large Guards formations, will exploit the already weakened center of the German line opposite Yelets. I’ve been pounding the enemy for several turns now with massed artillery behind Yelets, and three more artillery divisions are arriving by rail this turn. Once all the artillery is in place, I will blast a hole in the German line, then smash through with tanks and infantry, hopefully linking up with the surviving airborne troops. Depending on how far things get early on in the offensive, Kursk might be a viable objective. But that is a stretch at this point.

The Germans continue to push east to the sea, but it’s a very slow and arduous process for them. I’ve spotted new divisions that have been called up from the rear, and now count three SS Panzer divisions, an SS Cavalry division, and an SS Panzer HQ (likely the I SS Panzer Korps). The bulk of the Axis force is made up of two infantry corps--the LXXXVIII and XI--and the I SS Panzer Korps. Other divisions from other corps are participating in this battle, but those three formations have been the base for this area. I’m planning a counter strike against the German offensive, but until the 1st Guards Tank Army is up to full readiness, I’ll have to be content with holding my ground.

Both sectors are not doing well, but not exactly falling apart either. At Grozny, the airborne drop did cause me to eventually shift troops away from the city limits, but there is little chance the Germans will be able to use this situation for anything other than giving themselves breathing room. The Black Sea Coastline defenders are still being hammered by relentless German and Italian pressure. The biggest problem I have now is that, while there are enough bodies in the trenches (and of not terrible quality, either), they simply can’t get a good stop on the Axis attackers.

ELSEWHERE

North Africa - The Tunis defenders are dug in strong, with defensive numbers much better than the tired and ill-supplied Americans. The Canadians are trailing behind the rail repair crews as they advance toward the front. In Libya, the British are still rolling toward Tripoli.

NW Europe - Continued bombing raids on Germany have gained some traction, but nothing significant. The addition of another 8th AF squadron of B-17s will help.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 50
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T042: 2.19.43 - 7/12/2012 7:29:10 AM   
mike1984

T042: 02.19.43

Not much to report. Very little movement in any sector. Local battles continue at Astrakhan, Grozny and the Black Sea Coast.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 51
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T043: 3.5.43 - 7/12/2012 7:43:38 AM   
mike1984

T043: 02.26.43

Sector: Finland
For weeks now I’ve been probing the Fins near Lake Onega. As a result, now the Fins have been activated to attack across the Svir River from the isthmus. The Svir is heavily defended by my Russian 7th, 23rd, 42nd and 55th Armies, so I can’t imagine a quick Fin offensive here. It will likely come to the north near Medvzhyegorsk.

Sector: Velikie Luki
Suddenly, the Germans have lurched forward into the gap left by my evacuation of the 4th Shock Army east of Velikie Luki to the Caucasus. Divisions from the LIX Korps have advanced across the open fields and across the river, contacting the 3rd Shock, 41st Army, and Kalinin Front op groups. No attacks have been made upon my positions, but I’d hesitate to assume this move by Mark means nothing.

Sector: Yelets-Kursk - OPERATION: MEGAPHONE
The 1st Airborne Gds dropped onto the rail junction east of Kursk, ripping up the tracks and forcing a few of the local reserve units to react. As expected, the division was destroyed, but the damage was done. It should take at least two turns for the rail to be repaired. Now it will be the 5th Airborne Gds turn to drop onto the rail line east of Orel, with similar objectives of destroying the German supply and reinforcement routes. The minor breakthrough near Yelets was closed up quickly, but now that the airborne operation is underway, I can make a concerted effort to break the German lines at Yelets.

German progress has been very slow, but somewhat steady. With a net gain of about one hex per turn, I’m content to let them wear out by fighting for every grain of dirt here. With good tactical reserves and two full armies (1st Gds Tank, 40th Army) in local reserve, this sector remains one to monitor, but also relatively secure.

The eastern portion of my Grozny defenses have fallen apart. It’s time to begin a general withdrawal to the coastline and tighter defensive positions there against the mountains. It was bound to happen sooner or later, but was likely hastened by the German airborne operation that destabilized my position. Though I have enough divisions here to keep the Germans from waltzing down to Baku, reinforcements are a probable solution to the coastal defensive strategy.

North Africa
The British are closing on Tripoli, with some of the corps moving back east toward Tobruk and Alexandria to refit. The Americans are still holding the Axis in Tunis, as the Canadians are approaching on the rail line.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 52
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T044: 3.5.43 - 7/12/2012 7:54:23 AM   
mike1984

T044: 03.05.43

The second airborne division, this one dropped at the Orel rail junction, has been destroyed, but not before it accomplished its mission of destroying the rail line to the west. To the south, near the Kursk drop zone, a rail repair crew has rebuilt the bridge, allowing some reinforcements to come up from the south, including a Luftwaffe Field Division from western Europe. But there was significant success along the front line, as the 1st and 2nd Guards armies advanced two hexes before the counterattacks threw them back to the original positions. That might seem like a loss, but the Germans here are so weakened by the initial assault, I should have no problem renewing the attack and regaining the previously captured hexes, and some. This operation is a bit slow going, but momentum is picking up. Once I can secure a breakthrough, and follow it up with reinforcements, this has the chance to become something very big on the Eastern Front.

The Germans are making a big push now for the coast line. My depleted armies here have little shot to stop them, but should have the chance to slow them down for a while. Baku is still a long ways away. Mark would be somewhat foolish to concentrate all of this power down here, especially since the Yelets sector is becoming more dangerous for the Axis side.

The Canadians are getting off the trains. Finally, a push can be made on Tunis. Once this port is in Allied hands, plans for an invasion of mainland Europe can begin.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 53
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T045: 3.12.43 - 7/13/2012 6:50:23 AM   
mike1984

T045: 03.12.43

As the Germans bring up reinforcements, the Guards have made steady progress, capturing about three net hexes in this most recent assault. The advance isn’t nearly as quick as expected here. The plan was to capture at least three net hexes per turn once the main German line was punctured. The bridge and rail bombing has worked well, but isn’t enough to win this battle. The only thing that will do it is more success on the ground. I’m preparing to rail up two Guards armies from the Astrakhan sector, hopefully in time to exploit any more gains in the next two turns or so. This is a critical stage of the battle, and the entire operation could hinge on maintaining forward momentum.

< Message edited by mike1984 -- 7/13/2012 11:55:04 AM >

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 54
RE: TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T045: 3.12.43 - 7/13/2012 8:03:40 AM   
Ruppich

quote:

ORIGINAL: mike1984
The bridge and rail bombing has worked well, but isn’t enough to win this battle.

How exactly do u do this bridge and rail bombing?
right click doesnt work for me or is this scenario specific?
or unit specific?
N1 AAR so far, keep up the fantastic work.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 55
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T046: 3.19.43 - 7/14/2012 7:41:52 PM   
mike1984

T046: 03.19.43

I anticipated this move by Mark, launching an offensive from north to south into the Karelia region of the Russia-Finland border. The 4th Guards Tank Army is already here, ready to support the 70th and 26th armies defending the northern front against the Germans. The advance units in front of my lines have helped slow the enemy advance, forcing them to fight their way to my main defensive positions.

To the south, things aren’t so easy, as two Finnish divisions have surrounded a division of the 32nd Army, and have a clear shot at my interior lines. Reinforcements will be absolutely necessary in this sector to avoid disaster, especially since the reconstituted units from the 5th Shock won't’ be enough to mount a serious counter attack. Units from the Svir River sector are available and ready for action. They are also resting on a rail line for quick departure.

The Germans have attacked swiftly and with fire, as the VII Korps has led the way, with support of other random divisions and some Hungarian units. It’s amazing to me how tired, bloody Axis units can throw back my Guards divisions as if they were full of ditchdiggers. But I’ll have to simply overwhelm this area with force, as was the plan from the start. Two more armies are set to arrive from Astrakhan, both Guards armies. This operation is incredibly frustrating and slow, but success is not lost.

Sector: The Caucasus
The Grozny defenders have crumbled like a mortar-less brick wall. My right flank was turned quickly, trapping the bulk of the three Russian armies against the mountains, and cutting off the escape route to the coast. There are reinforcements available to send here, mainly in the form of a Guards tank army from the Astrakhan sector. That sector will likely be stripped dry in the coming turns, with the situation in Finland also growing troublesome. Also troublesome is the situation along the Black Sea Coast, but that’s pretty much been par for the course there. I just can’t seem to get a decent defensive stand. There’s been about five or six lines formed, and all have been broken by the Axis. Now within a dozen hexes or so to T’Bilisi, things are becoming desperate.

(in reply to Ruppich)
Post #: 56
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T047: 3.26.43 - 7/14/2012 7:44:32 PM   
mike1984

T047: 03.26.43

North - The German offensive here has reached my main line. Like clockwork, they had little trouble punching a hole in my position, one hex inland from the coast. While I had to expect some sort of breakthrough at some point, it would have been nice if my line held for at least one hex before cracking. The 4th Guards Tank should be able to restore the line, as I brought them up here as a reserve for this very situation.

South - At first, the situation here was bad, with the Finns marching right around my left flank along the coast. But the swift arrival of reinforcements, combined with the gallant stand by the __ Division, held the Axis in check. Now the 5th Shock Army and 55th Army have arrived. Once they are off the trains and in position, I’m hopeful this sector will move from “dangerous” to “monitored.”

All this fighting has netted my offensive about five hexes. Not exactly a wild success. But the Axis here are being worn down significantly, including the loss of an entire German division just west of Yelets. Some reinforcements have arrived, with the biggest chunk in the form of the IV Luftwaffe Field Division from Germany. I’m guessing the rest of any reinforcements have stayed back and began digging into a defensive line west and south of where my offensive is concentrating. The lack of speedy progress by my forces have allowed Mark ample time to plan his defense and likely major counterattack.

This area took a turn for the worse in two spots. The four-army force along the coast can barely hold up against the lightest attacks, and will have to fall back to the last inches of the mountains. After that, it’s a clear shot to T’Bilisi for the Axis. The other, more dangerous spot is in the mountain pass, where a divisions from the 51st Op Group has broken and fallen back. This was a huge stopper in the drain, but now the Germans have an open back door into this area. Reinforcements are on the way, but now with the situation becoming dire, I’m afraid it won’t be enough. Baku is still safe, but the loss of T’Bilisi would be up there with the loss of Grozny.

AFRICA

This could be one of the strongest positions the Axis occupy, as all of the units are fortified and in urban hexes. I’ve tried to dislodge them with naval and artillery bombardment, but nothing seems to work. Once I work the V Corps around the southern flank, I hope the attacks from two sides will help wear them down more quickly.

ELSEWHERE

NW Europe: The Germans have increased their supply and earned minus-15 (that’s good for them, bad for me) EEV Points. So I’ll have to step up the strategic bombing campaign if I want to have any sort of effect on the German war effort supporting its troops in the field.

Libya: The I and V Corps are on the outskirts of Tripoli, where a lone Italian garrison occupies the city. That unit is fortified and has good supply, but with a few good punches, should fall.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 57
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T048: 4.2.43 - 7/16/2012 5:45:19 AM   
mike1984

T048: 04.02.43

North & South - The 4th Guards Tank counterattacked viciously against the German breakthrough, throwing back the enemy to their original lines. After that, very liittle movement. The Axis push back a few of my scouting units advanced beyond my main lines. But my position is holding for now.

Sector: Yelets - OPERATION: MEGAPHONE
Every time I think I’ve gained a decent push, the Germans push right back. This is by far the bloodiest sector in the scenario thus far, and that takes Grozny and Leningrad into consideration, too. OPERATION: MEGAPHONE is now a shell of what it was supposed to be. But I might have an encore up my sleeve in the coming turns. Could there be an OPERATION: MEGAPHONE II?

Grozny - I’m basically surrendering this area to the Germans. I gain no advantage holding the territory east of Grozny. My new line will be halfway down the Caspian Sea Coast toward Baku.

T’Bilisi - The arrival of the 40th Army won’t be enough to stop this rising tide of German might. Poti has now fallen, and the northern pass through the mountains is hanging on by a thread. If I can’t hold the rail line to Batumi, then I might as well cede that to the Axis now and cut my losses while I can. The Caucasus is a major objective for the Axis player in this game. I underestimated the challenge of defending it. My assumption was that the Russian troops would be halfway competent enough to stand firm in good defensive terrain with good supply. That was a poor assumption to make. Now I’m scrambling to find reinforcements just to prevent Baku from falling... the city that even Mark thought was out of reach. If things continue on this path, Panzers will be in Babylonia before I know it!

Tunis: Attacks continue on the Axis stronghold. Losses are mounting for the defenders, but they are refusing to budge. Even the Italian tank brigades are causing headaches for my British tank outfits along the eastern coast.

NW Europe: The strategic bombing campaign has caused enough damage to cause Axis theatre recon to drop. The increased pressure on the German war machine is working.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 58
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T049: 4.9.43 - 7/16/2012 5:45:50 AM   
mike1984

T049: 04.09.43

Sector: Yelets - OPERATION: MEGAPHONE
I’m closing down OPERATION: MEGAPHONE. The offensive isn’t going anywhere fast, and the main objective at Kursk is not going to happen any time soon. But the fighting will continue. I’ve ordered the recently arrived 5th Guards Tank forward into the battle, as the main force of five Guards armies pushed the Germans back a full hex across the battle front. However, with reinforcements arriving, the Germans counterattacked and pushed me back, negating most of the gains from the previous push.

This area continues to be the thorn in my side. Line after line falls to the German advance. Now that Poti has fallen, and the rail line cut off to Batumi, I’d need at least two full mechanized armies to thwart any more progress by the Axis. And with the concentration on the Yelets offensive, I can’t spare all that much. The 10th Guards Op Group tried to bolster my most recent line in front of Kutaisi, but to no avail. The 40th Army is staging at Baku, and should be able to board trains next turn for this sector. I also have the 4th Guards Army staging at the port hex of Mumra, south of Astrakhan, ready to sail to Baku. Once at Baku, the 4th will come to the aid of the Black Sea Coast defenders... if any of them are left by then.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 59
TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T050: 4.16.43 - 7/19/2012 8:09:43 AM   
mike1984

T050: 04.16.43

The mud season has begun, with Shock falling to 50 percent for both sides. This will hamper my ability to stage any counterattacks in the trouble zones. However, I was in no position to do any sort of offensive actions, so this reprieve comes at the perfect time.

Active assaults have ceased, but I’ve committed the 68th Army into battle along the right flank of the salient. This is to shore up the gains made in that section, where a hex sat empty between the lines. With the arrival of the 5th Guards Army at the airfields and rail junctions east of Yelets, I can now begin the plans for OPERATION: MEGAPHONE II, which will incorporate a much larger paradrop and ground offensive. This operation will have to be more carefully planned than the failed MEGAPHONE I, particularly with the buildup of German reinforcements in the area. However, I believe it can work if the timing is right and all the forces are in place.

The 40th Army and 10th Guards Op Group are now hastily forming a defensive line, using the muddy ground as a buffer between them and any potential German attack. I can still hopefully hold Batumi, but with a lowered supply flow there since losing the rail connection to the city. The 4th Guards Army is now ashore at Baku, staging on the rail line for transport west. It will take more than just that one army, so whatever reinforcements I receive in the next few turns will pretty much all be transported down to the Caucasus. I’m not going to get funneled into a siege at Baku. If that happens, I won’t be able to hold the city, just as I wasn’t able to hold Leningrad.

The Canadians and Americans have finally broken through and captured the main Tunis hex. Gaining control of the city is both symbolically and strategically important, as it gives me the critical supply point (100!) that has been missing for the entire campaign for western North Africa, and also should help now push out the remaining Germans and Italians defending the port hex. That hex is necessary for any invasion of the “soft underbelly” of Europe. In the Mediterranean Sea just off the port hex, the Italian Trieste and Andrea Dorea squadrons have engaged the Gibraltar Squadron of the Royal Navy, as well as the Texas Battleship Squadron of the US Navy.

(in reply to mike1984)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T025: 10.23.42 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI