Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Tomanbeg vs TheOverlord

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Tomanbeg vs TheOverlord Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tomanbeg vs TheOverlord - 11/29/2002 1:34:25 AM   
TheOverlord

Huge map (120? by 100) dominated by an east west valley in the center and heavily wooded mountains to the extreme north and south. Small hills and groves of trees dot the valley.

~6500 points, USSR (Tomanbeg) vs Germany (TheOverlord)
The large map and low points makes for an interesting battle as there is never enough units to cover as well as I would like...but will make for a splendid battle.

Gentlemen, start your engines!

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
- 11/29/2002 6:03:00 AM   
Tomanbeg

Two different styles here, methinks. the map is a 100 x 220, which to me is a medium map, Large being 100x240, small being 100x160, and anything less then 100x160 a waste of drive space. So Olord starts off with a small drop of para targets( or as they are known in the Air Force, Meat Bombs). I like the idea and would have done the same, playing germans. Soviets don't do much in the way of para-targets, so I don't either. One of the paras got lucky and found a tall tree on a hill and has a 90 meter elevation, which give LOS to almost everywhere. I took him under fire. I normally don't shoot at targets with less then a 20% hit chance, since all it does is give away my position, but I want to be able to fire on the para next turn which means shooting enough to get him on my target line with 3 or 4 units. Now he'll have to move it or lose it. Can't have Olord peeking over my shoulder watching what I'm doing. I fired a pre turn bombardment to see if I could supress som germans from the get go, but I didn't hit anything that I'm aware of. My units are all set to defend and ranged down and arty has been requested, so It's time to send the turn over.
T.

Attachment (1)

"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
– The Cairo daily Akhbar el Yom, Oct. 12, 1963.
[IMG]http

(in reply to TheOverlord)
Post #: 2
turn 1 - 11/30/2002 4:39:02 AM   
TheOverlord

Not much to report...yet.

One unit of paratrooper crying for their mommies from being fired upon.

Soviet recon units spotted advancing.

Drop some smoke to block a bit of the long range view of the bad guys.

Back to Tomanbeg.

Post #: 3
oops - 11/30/2002 4:40:09 AM   
TheOverlord

Duh.
Hit submit before attaching turn...

Attachment (1)

Post #: 4
T.'s turn 2. - 11/30/2002 7:21:48 AM   
Tomanbeg

Ok, even Professor woods would be proud of the way olord has pushed his scouts up. He got there firstest down south, I don't think he has got there with the mostest though. We will see. If he sent an entire scout platoon, then I could be in trouble. But if he sent an entire scout platoon down south, then the implication is he is using his para targets as a screen up north. Since I have them running and screaming in fear, there won't be much of a screen there. I did not run the Woody on this map, so the woods are normal WaW woods and not the thick narely kind that the Woody leaves behind. So with a vis range of 51, I can see 2 hexes into the woods. That make running armor through the woods not only feasable, but desireable. Slap a leg unit on top and drop it every hex to look around, and if the german infantry aren't stationary for a turn or so and in defend mode, I'll spot them more often then not. And make him pay for his insolence. After all, the Hansel and Gretal thingy would have worked out a lot different if the witch had T-34's.
The bad news is that he did spot my Off Board arty during that pre game shoot. That means my off board tubes are in a use it and lose it condition, from turn 1. That sucks. I had wanted to pound him for a while.
T.

Attachment (1)

"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
[IMG]http

Post #: 5
turn 2 - 12/1/2002 3:36:18 AM   
TheOverlord

Soviet Motorcycles probing to the south engageing German scout units.

To the north T-60's, T-34's, and infantry are pushing towards the VH's. Germany infantry too busy looking for clean drawers to do much about them....at the moment.

Other soviet units spotted advancing. Too far away to engage.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 6
Soviet turn 4 - 12/1/2002 8:54:52 AM   
Tomanbeg

Found another scout team in the south. Ran them off, and captured the southernmost V-flag. I now have 3 of the 4 point per turn flags. Das is goot, I can hear those points adding up. cha-chingngng. Killed a para target up north and located and routed another. They are tough to kill, but after shooting them a few times, tossing grenades into their newly cleaned shorts, and grinding them under my tracks, they expired. Spotted my first Tiger. He looks like he is making a bee line for Jani's Roadhouse and Titty bar. Can't say as to how I blame him, it's a long thirsty drive across the steppes. But this is war and I'm afraid the Panzer drivers will just have to stay thirsty. We must defend the Rodina, but most of all we must defend our Titty Dancers from the Nazi's.
T.

[IMG]http

Post #: 7
Whoops - 12/1/2002 8:56:27 AM   
Tomanbeg

Olord I guess you want a file also.
T.

Attachment (1)

[IMG]http

Post #: 8
..... - 12/3/2002 4:46:57 AM   
TheOverlord

German forces move into central vh's (only worth points at end of battle). Soviets control 3 of 4 turn based vh's still.

Many soviet units spotted - trucks, T-34's, infantry. T-34 takes a pot shot at an armored car, Panzer takes a couple shots of its own as a greeting :)

German recon patrol inflicts casualties on 2 motrocycle teams forcing them to retreat.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 9
- 12/3/2002 6:21:54 AM   
Tomanbeg

The shootout between scouting elements continue s in the south. I have 2 motorcycle squads ganging up up on 1 4man scout team, so I ecpect to win the shootout. I'm bringing up help, just to make sure. Overlord has taken the truck stop, so I put arty down behind it, hoping to catch reinforcements coming up. If that battery stays unspotted, I will walk it up to the truck stop. In the north, I have decide to not fight for now. I will leave the woods full of SS paratroopers(?) alone. They don't have enough mobility to bother me where they are, and I don't see the point in losing units fighting them. But I will fight the troops coming to support them. 1st priority is killing tracks, in hopes of reducing Olords mobility even farther. the Luftwaffe put in an appearance. I didn't expect that, and will have to leave my AAA trap in place. I got lucky there. one more turn and I was going to start moving up the flak guns to cover my infantry assault with more direct fire. The Bf-110 attacked my T-34s fencing in the paras. so Maybe olord wants to develop his left flank. We will see.
T.

[IMG]http

Post #: 10
- 12/3/2002 6:22:58 AM   
Tomanbeg

Darn, I keep forgetting to attach the game files.

Attachment (1)

[IMG]http

Post #: 11
so it begins - 12/4/2002 9:45:04 AM   
TheOverlord

South is quiet.

Germans control all vh's in the center and reinforce their grip. :D

In the north, several T-34's and supporting infantry are spotted moving towards the northern most vh (german controlled). :eek:
A BA-10 is destroyed by a Panzer and the tank withdraws, happy for now with one kill.
:cool:

Things will be getting very dirty very quickly in the northern woods, me thinks....

Attachment (1)

Post #: 12
turn 5? - 12/4/2002 11:30:58 AM   
Tomanbeg

Bumpin heads up north. I K-killed an Mk-IVg and put the fear of T-34's into a AC or two. Olord ran a couple of more airstrikes on my spear heads. He is a lot bolder then I am. My T-34's are shooting at 100 meters, which is inside my comfort margin for airstrikes. I caught a pair of trucks trying to get at the V-flag just south of the tank battle. Shot them up and the passengers are now fleeing. I was tempted to shoot the mmg and the rifle squd, but I think it'll pay off later to concentrate on his transport. In the south, I'm pushing forward. It looks like I was correct about Olord moving his left flank up behind his para drop. I'm inside his start line in the south, with out seeing much. caught and killed a truck and have an AC spotted and I'm starting to stalk it. Finished off his recon team, spotted and killed another. I have a strong scout force behind his left flank and am moving up a tank rider company to reinforce my recon unit. I'm gonna start another T-34 company behind the tank riders. I would start 2, but I want to see how he reacts to having half an T-34 Battalion wandering around his rear areas. I've spotted a bunch of Mk-IV's and a pair of Tigers, So I'm thinking there is a Pak front out there some where, or Olord bought all Mk-IV's for his medium tanks. I hadn't planned on committing any real strength until turn 14 or so, but if opportunity is knocking, I WILL answer the door. At the truck stop, I continue softening up troops. Got 2 batteries unspotted this turn so I fired both. I don't see any point in saving ammo, since I expect to lose my 76.2's to counter battery way before they shoot of all their rounds. So far so good. If I'm lucky and he responds the way I want him to when he reacts to having his flank turned, then I might get to use my blunt object.
T.

Attachment (1)

[IMG]http

Post #: 13
Another turn.... - 12/6/2002 7:44:38 AM   
TheOverlord

In the north, I have surrounded and taken out 4 T-34's, two of which were routed by the airstrikes and unable to defend themselves. An infantry squad was also destroyed.

There is a very lucky BA-10 as well that took hits from a 2cm auto cannon and a hit from a PzIV......the force is strong in that one.

In the center, the vh's are reinforced and so we wait to see what Stalin will send at us....

In the south, a Tiger takes out a T-34 at long range. That crew earned a case of beer for that shot! Just a reminder that the flank is not as soft as it may appear....:cool:

I have the center, and the northern most vh for now and the fight seems to be going my way so far for the second vh in the north.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 14
- 12/6/2002 11:45:44 AM   
Tomanbeg

Well, it cost me a T-34 to find out where his Tiger is. To paraphrase the Panser Bush(aka Psnzer Blitz) manual 'What is one rat more or less to the pack?' And I was right about the north. It cost me a T-34 platoon to find out what I already knew, that there is nothing there worth fighting for. Especially if it means facing Tigers at 100 meters. So he can have those two. That means we will be tied for a while on the PPT meter. I picked up about 200 points by holding 1 hex for 4 turns. I've traded 4 T-34's and a pair of Ba-10's for 2 Mk-IV's and a pair of para squads. So I should be about 150 points ahead, give or take a bit. That is a wash. He can get several more T-34's if he wants to be agressive this turn. But the real battle will be at Tommy's truck stop. I added some smoke for tommy. I didn't get any off board tubes this turn but they are zeroed in and ready for next turn. It is yime to start pounding the truck stop. 10 turns of arty and I'll be primed for my infantry to rush it. Send in 30 or 40 T-34's at the same time and there will be another greasy spot on the road to Berlin.
T.

Attachment (1)

[IMG]http

Post #: 15
another turn down - 12/8/2002 1:57:57 AM   
TheOverlord

So, it turns out that there were 3 more T-34's to the north. Not any more! Also took out a BA-10 and some infantry and claimed the last norther VH for the Fatherland.

The center is quiet. T dropped smoke and few shells, no damage.

To the south, more T-34's and infantry spotted prowling about.

30 to 40 T-34s are still to come!!??:eek:

I expected to be outnumbered.......but that is a big potential ouch.....
We shall see how it goes...there is lots of open space the T-34's will need to cross and the waiting guns of the Panzers are more accurate so we shall see if the Reich can hold off the Red Horde...or as T put it, the Red Rats?;)

I have never played against an opponent that counted points so closely. Interesting.......I had to adjust my own planning slightly to accomodate this new (at least to me...) perspective.

Lets see if I adjusted correctly......

Attachment (1)

Post #: 16
moving right along - 12/8/2002 12:09:32 PM   
Tomanbeg

Col Pugovkin isn't happy about losing most of a Tank Company in a fight for something he didn't want anyway. But he remembers last year about this time when he was a tank gunner in a BT-5 and the only survivor of his battalion. So it could be worse. And it looks like the maskirovka is working so far. The Nazi beasts are almost where he wants them and they are getting softened up nicely. Pugovkin needs the nazi's to be soft. A smashing defeat of the spearhead and he can put on a star. That means he won't get shot at so much and much better food and a lot more vodka.
T.

Attachment (1)

[IMG]http

Post #: 17
stories - 12/8/2002 12:56:36 PM   
TheOverlord

Nice story - you missed your calling!:)

Post #: 18
born to late - 12/8/2002 10:36:16 PM   
Tomanbeg

Yeh, I should have been a warlord for the great Kahn. And as far as the point counting goes, the points determine who wins or loses. And by games theory definitions, I'm a "C" personality. That means I'm not really motivated by winning, but I fooking hate losing. Which is why my record is nearly always ties. So I track the points to make sure I won't lose. In this game I'm not sure it matters since it is just about impossible for either of us to get a 3 to 1 or better margin. It would require that one side destroy the other without any loses. That won't happen with humans. And you have figured out my plan. T-34's cost about 65 points each during this time period. So that was 100 T-34's. I couldn't do that because I needed some supporting troops, Arty, and scouts. But I got as close as I could. That is very historical. The Soviets were big believers in mass, and It was unusal for them to commit armor in less then groups of 50-60. And the point behind all the small caliber arty is to spread suppression and kick up dust. I want to fight at less then 10 hexes with about a 5 to 1 ratio. Getting my T-34's into that range will be a challenge. The trick for Tigers is to put a scout or sniper with each Tank, and to buy no more Tigers then you have scouts or Snipers for. I didn't see you doing that in or little brush up north, but I don't know if thats because you don't know that trick or if you were dropping your riders before engaging. We will see.
T.

[IMG]http

Post #: 19
- 12/9/2002 3:51:37 AM   
TheOverlord

The Soviets philosphy has allways been "if we cant build a better weapon, we'll just make a sh*t load of what we do have." The sad thing (for me) is it works. At about 3 or 4 to one, the superiority of even the Tigers can be negated. And you seem to have plenty of tanks to spare.

Given what little I do have to work with, I will have to hope for accurate shots and fall back. I figured there would be alot of Soviet armor (granted, you bought more than I thought you would - the joys of playing a new opponent!) and that my best shot at the middle vh's would be to take them early, dig in and wait foryou to come. Other wise if there were 30 or 40 T-34s parked outside Tommies ordering burgers then I would probably not be able to take it.

Its obvious now, I also chose to only focus on the north and let you take the southern half of the map simply because ther arent enough Germans to go around at the moment. The game would be over just that much quicker if I tried.

Yeah, I know about the trick with scouts / snipers. Throwing an infantry squad / mg on a tank (meat armor!) is handy as well, but the **** German infantry squads dont fit on a tank, and I just hate having to give up a man or two to get the squad on there.

I usually either get riders or send armor out behind an infantry screen (which is what I did in the north due to the woods) which helps in spotting for the big guns as well. Given the wide open spaces of most of the map, it has been sufficient to have a few well placed lookouts and hlftracks / armored cars for spotting, so far anyways.

My comment about the points was just that they are worth alot on this map. Makes them a lot more important. I always felt the true measure of who wins is who commands the battle field the longest / best or controls the pace of the battle, or draws the most blood without getting too beat up themselves. Unfortunately it is not always clear who the real "winner" is based on those ideals (as in a real battle I suppose) so points and big flags painted on the ground (or roof as it may be) are the guage we are stuck with.

So, that battle for Tommy's (and his 9 flags!) continues!

Scratch three more T-34's....so now there must only be something like 40 or 50 to go? :rolleyes: )

Yeah, no problem.....
;)

Attachment (1)

Post #: 20
Wrong way Olord - 12/9/2002 10:52:14 AM   
Tomanbeg

Fall back means the other way. BacK toward Berlin. Or at least Rostov. It's a good think C&C is off. 2 of your last 3 kills were Company commanders. If C&C was on, I would be ready for the fork. But it's not, so that was just 3 more rats. While the pack is good sized, at 3 per turn, It's not big enough to go 20 more turns. All my arty went off line this turn. Time to send the political officer back to shoot some Majors. I counted 6 Tigers, so I figure there is a couple unaccounted for. I figure you for 2 Tiger platoons, 2 Mk-IV platoons and an SS inf co., plus assorted AC's and some Mortar sections. Where are your big guns? I need to start killing some of the spotters. I tried but just lost another T-34.
T.

Attachment (1)

[IMG]http

Post #: 21
- 12/11/2002 8:25:35 AM   
TheOverlord

Grunts love taking out an officer.
I saw your T-34s in the southern woods and hoped they would come out into the sights of the waiting Tiger.

The north is quiet. There are some Soviet crews and infantry lurking about but I dont think they can do much harm now.

In the South, the tank riders from the blasted T-34 are dispatched.

The fun is in the center.
I spy with my little eye lots of infantry marching toward Tommy's truck stop (which there isnt much left of due to Soviet bombardment).

A few panzers and half tracks move forward to see if they can persuade the infantry to march in the oposite direction. Arty is called in on their line.

It is a risk moving forward with with my panzers and tigers but the T-34s are thankfully not the most accurate of machines. there are probably an AT gun or two about in the wood lines and I would wager at least one more tank rider company, backed by a couple companies of additional tanks, plus what looks like maybe a company or two of infantry marching accross the plains...

That is a pretty good guess as to my force composition, not too far off the mark....but not entirely accurate either...and I'll leave it that way for now ;) I need all the help I can get against the large number of T-34s creeping around....

Attachment (1)

Post #: 22
Target Rich environment - 12/11/2002 12:16:55 PM   
Tomanbeg

Well, they came out into your sights alright. I had what I'm trying now work once and fail once, so if it fails this time, I'll know not to do it anymore. I have over 30T-34's with that Tiger on the road on thier target line. They have all shot at him at least once, and most have abetter then 10% hit chance. The first time I tried this, the Tiger shot and the entire red Army shot back, or at least that is what it looked like. Didn't kille the Tiger, but he shut his hatch and routed out of there. Killed him the next turn IIRC. But my opponent then didn't have the support you have here. The Second time the Tiger gkilled a T-34 and nobody shot back. My opponent decided that descrition was the better part of valor and dropped back over the crest of the hill he was on. You don't have that option. So Can you win a shootout against 30+ T-34's? This will be one for the books. I didn't want to do this for 2 more turns and not in quite this way, but you forced my hand when you brought out those Mk-IV's.
T.(My turn counter is out. I crashed back to desktop but saved from the bar, so I wouldn't lose what I had already done).

Attachment (1)

[IMG]http

Post #: 23
- 12/12/2002 9:51:34 AM   
TheOverlord

So far it seems like a good plan you are trying. I definately will have my work cut out for me to hold the truck stop...although by now the roof needs some repairs and the jukebox was hit by a mortar round.

I have been watching you position your T-34s for a few turns now and was counter positioning to hit them before you were set. I figure my best bet against these numbers is to hit you first before you are ready and at a longer range where the Panzers and tigers have the advantage. I was going to do it this turn, but last turn when I saw how close your infantry has crept I figured I needed to let it out of the bag before the infantry got any closer.

I would of liked one more trun to prepare myself but it is too late for that now!

6 T-34's were destroyed this turn. I was hoping for a couple more....but these are still pretty long range. Next turn should start getting ugly....

Attachment (1)

Post #: 24
Gota know when to hold 'em - 12/12/2002 12:06:10 PM   
Tomanbeg

That was a diaster. I didn't get a single op fire at the Tiger, and only 6 shots over all. That is out of close to 30 chances! I'll never figure this out. But there was good news in the form a a unit labeled"AUX". If you swallowed the whole enchalada thats 1300 points for T.:cool: My rough running count (the Rawhide kid's sidekick?) had you about 300 points ahead. I killed another SS squad, a Special ops squad and a Mk-IV, so I should be up about 1,000 points, if you shot your wad on the reinforcements. I'll have to see if the 20 T-34's I can buy will be worth giving up 1300 points. We will see how bad you shoot me up this time. Meanwhile I need to close the range. I think I will make you guess exactly where my infantry is. Your arty is close but not in the black, which makes me think you have a rough idea of where they are. Jumping out and spotting and then moving back. So that means more smoke. You will either have to move ahead of the smoke to keep shooting, which will close the range, or pull back behind the smoke, which will allow me to move up. So for now I have to hide some more and see what you want to do.
T.

Attachment (1)

[IMG]http

Post #: 25
- 12/14/2002 5:17:03 AM   
TheOverlord

The T-34s pulled behind cover after loosing 6 of their number last round, so German units focus on the infantry wave strolling towards the VH's. Many casualties.

PzIV's bounce a couple of shells off a T34 at long range.

North is quiet, and Soviet forces are snooping around to the south.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 26
Gotta know when to fold 'em - 12/14/2002 10:54:24 AM   
Tomanbeg

Well, It could have been worse. My infantry is having a crisis of confidence. But they haven't started routing, and you didn't knock off any squads, so I might be able to get them moving forwrd again next turn. Meanwhile I'm disappointed in my arty. It appears to be stuck on .1 delay. I thought sending Major Headshotovich back would fix it, but so far no joy. I snagged the northern most flag for another quick 50 points, although I don't expect to hold it. And I had a Lt. Tank miss 4 shots at 40+%. So that fool will soon be dead. I expected poor shooting and my troops seem to have exceeded my expectations. This is starting to look like sumo, with a lot of grunting and pushing, but not much movement.
T.

Attachment (1)

[IMG]http

Post #: 27
?? - 12/14/2002 11:02:35 AM   
TheOverlord

Sorry T, that zip file had your slot 11 game.....could you resend with email9?

Danke

Post #: 28
- 12/14/2002 1:37:24 PM   
Tomanbeg

That was dumb of me.
T.

Attachment (1)

[IMG]http

Post #: 29
- 12/15/2002 9:28:18 PM   
TheOverlord

In the north, German forces take the vh that an insolent T60 and recon squad took on the soviet turn. Both were destroyed.
German infantry inflict casualties on a tank rider squad and a 76.2 AT gun.

A plattoon of PzIV have been making a run from the north to aid in the defense of the center forces. They have been coming under fire from T-34s that have been coming out of hiding to take shots and duck back under cover. Well, this round they rolled forward out of cover to pursue the panzers and into the sights of a Tiger that was waiting for them to do just that. Scratch another T-34.

The center battle continues.
The soviet infantry wave (looks to be about 2 full companies) receives many caualties, and a couple of squads are destroyed. A truck and 2 T-34s are destroyed and another 2 T34s are damaged (suspension on both and the turret on one:) )

A Panzer that lost a track going through some craters has been repaired and is getting back into the fight!

South is quiet for now, but Soviet forces are creeping towards the rear german vh.

Back to T.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW AAR/DAR >> Tomanbeg vs TheOverlord Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI